Jan

Rainforest Bakery

Posted by: CK Lam   in Bakery, Dessert, George Town, Penang

The first meal to start the day is having breakfast and what’s more with bread products. We find it nutritious and it goes well with various spreads, both sweet and savory or with meats, cheeses, and vegetables.

Recently we found out about Rainforest Bakery, located along Chulia Street in George Town, Penang.

All the bakery products are preservative free. The proprietor, Mr Tan Boo Geok and his wife is very friendly and goes to great length to share with the customers the different types of healthy and organic bread. The bakers are their twin sons, Jerry and Jesse.

There are  abundant choices of bread made from rye and seeded products too. Do check out the many choices – Ciabatta (RM6.30), English Bloomer (RM4.20), Poppy Seed Bloomer (RM5.20), English Muffin (RM4.50), Volkron Brot (RM8.80), French Baguette (RM3.90), Cinnamon Roll (RM1.70), English Scone (RM5) and Foccacia (RM3.70).

Nowadays we have been patronising this bakery whenever we need to replenish our supply of bread.

Click here for the Map Location (updated 29/5/09). Business Hour:  Monday to Saturday from 9am till 8pm. Tel: 04 2614641

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 at 9:52 pm and is filed under Bakery, Dessert, George Town, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Anonymous

I have tried their bread and lemon cake, it taste very nice. Somemore it is preservative-free. But not many variety compare to continental bakery near new world park.

August 5th, 2008 at 4:40 pm
CK Lam

Anonymous – Its nice of you to share the lemon cake which I have yet to try (would be better still if you sign in with your name).

I have been regularly getting my supply of rye bread from them. Bought the cibatta twice but not to my liking.

August 5th, 2008 at 5:04 pm
sherene

I have tried their muffin as well, it taste nice and not sweet. I wanted to tried their carrot cake next time. Actually, They have wholesaler to sell their bread in sungai ara on Monday and Wednesday. I bought the bread from their wholesaler instead of visit their shop as I stay in Sungai Ara. It is not hard to find their shop in chulia street but it is hard to find a parking especially during weekend.

August 7th, 2008 at 12:42 pm
sherene

Hi CK,
Your website really good for recommending good & healthy food to us, I and my colleague like your website very much.
I would like to recommend you another good bakery shop called "The loaf", it was owned by Dr Mahathir joint venture with japanese, their bread was baked using japanese technique. Their website is at
They have branch in Langkawi and KL. I have tried their bread before, it is very nice but very expensive. BUT still worth to try.

August 7th, 2008 at 12:49 pm
CK Lam

Sherene – very nice of you and your colleagues to drop by my blog. Do share all of your views and drop comments to me.

Its more convenient now that you can get your supply of Rainforest products up in your area. Thanks for sharing the info :)

August 7th, 2008 at 1:48 pm
sherene

Hi CK
fyi, there is new bakery shop in penang. They specialised in mille crepe and they only accept the delivery service only. (please refer to the website below http://www.humblebeginnings.com.my/promotion2.html)

September 23rd, 2008 at 4:55 pm
CK Lam

Sherene – Have look through the website of humble beginnings…its great and something new to try out. Thanks for the info.

September 24th, 2008 at 10:00 am
bread lover

i love their bagels , tasty and best of all it’s organic .I would visit their bakery everytimr i visit penang

November 20th, 2008 at 12:41 pm
MCF

Check out Humble Beginnings New Cake promotion at http://www.humblebeginnings.com.my.

February 21st, 2009 at 1:20 pm
henry C

Fyi, there is a healthy bakery shop opposite Chung Hua School Island Park Greenlane, beside corner coffee shop also they serve healthy bread.
I like their Pumpkin Wholemeal loaf, Multi seed, 8Grains and etc. It worth to try it.

March 11th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

bread lover & MCF – thanks for sharing the info.

henry C – Nice of you for dropping in my blog. I will pay a visit to the bakery shop and try out your recommended choice.

March 12th, 2009 at 9:45 am
Lysanne

i’m a sucker for their chocolate moist cake.. The BEST!!! yum yum.. and my favorite bread would be their Raisin Twist.. , and recently i tried their sesame hard rolls.. quite nice.. there’re bits of sesame in every bite.. I just love it..

May 1st, 2009 at 2:11 am
Lysanne

oh yeah… CK .. theres another bakery which is one of my fav as well.. Continental.. Nagore Road. They have the best cheese cake and cinnimon bun.. Their Health bread are superb.. freshly bake everyday…

And their Mexicon Bun.. nothing compared to Rotiboy.. maybe its because of the raisins they used, its the best raisins i ever tasted.. sweetness of the raisins sinks with the bread.. Insanely Nice!

May 1st, 2009 at 2:18 am

Lysanne – Thanks for all the info and sharing them with me.

May 1st, 2009 at 11:58 pm
Penny

Hi, CK i can’t find this shop please show me the location, thanks.

May 29th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Penny – Sorry about that…most of my old post do not have the map location.
I have just added it in, just follow the direction and you will find the shop, right infront of the bus stand.

May 29th, 2009 at 10:56 pm
johnny boy

u can try danish bakery butter cake!it really nice!oso very good service becase they doing delivery!!

June 26th, 2009 at 7:49 pm
ahmad jamal

we are interested to know business opportunity with you and asking if you allow us to supply your product. For your information, we selling in vendor in Kuala Kangsar Perak

December 29th, 2009 at 6:49 pm
Lishan

I just found out that they have another store in Sg. Ara… around Yo Yo cafe…

February 6th, 2010 at 1:21 am
girZ

i really hope to try the bread but i stay in ipoh, perak….how unfortunate…
do you have any recommendation of healthy restaurant in ipoh?

I have yet to have a wide coverage on those places in Ipoh.

November 21st, 2010 at 3:32 pm
Ayin

Shopped some bread yesterday and was served by a very nice lady. The breads were tremendous. This afternoon went back to the place and find out that the bakery is closed. I was planning to tapau some of the lovely cakes back to KL but the guy in charge said he didn’t have time to cut the cake for me therefore he’s not selling it. The reason given was he was busy. He was pretty rude too. Definitely not the penang hospitality that I used to experience. I’ll definitely go back to the bakery.. But not this cafe.

May 26th, 2013 at 1:44 pm