Apr

Penang Heritage Trees

Posted by: CK Lam   in Heritage, Sights

In many ways Penang is blessed with many old majestic trees that line up some of our major roads especially at Upper Mcalister Road, York Road, Scotland Road and Jalan Masjid Negri. We passed through these roads daily and we tend to take them for granted. Motorist would only come to appreciate them for providing shade from the scorching hot sun when they are stuck in a traffic jam.
All these mature shady trees not only give a pleasant and cooling environment especially for motorist but also beautify the roads and more important to our Eco system.

In Penang these trees are given priority over development. One can see that some of our roads are aligned to the position of these trees – especially at Burma Road in front of the Chinese Recreation Club and Kelawai Road near Gurney No 1 (when a two lane road suddenly narrow down to one lane). Even the pedestrian path are in contour to the tress.

If they ever carry out PGCC, I hope that all the trees on the proposed route would not be sacrifice. I like the photo snapped by 5xmom which is right to the point.

Do spare a thought the next time you drive pass these beautiful trees. I hope the above photos will bring back fond memories to all Penangites. Can someone please update me the name of this type of tree???

This entry was posted on Friday, April 11th, 2008 at 10:10 pm and is filed under Heritage, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

durianberry

I see Macalister Rd there and my ex-school (St. George)! Hehe. I really like the big old huge trunk trees surrounding my school area.. must have been a few hundred years old. This is a cause to raise for concern. I too hope the gov don’t sacrifice these treasures in name of development

April 12th, 2008 at 5:33 am
little inbox

Hey, we have the same hobby ler…I also like to look at all those trees since I was in secondary school time. I love those at Taiping Lake very much too…

April 12th, 2008 at 3:51 pm
CK Lam

Durianberry – Ohh didn’t know you were from St.George! Well I’m hoping they will maintain these trees…Well…heading back Penang soon? (ps. Remember the tarts =p)

little inbox – Taiping was beautiful, the lake very serene and tranquil. I enjoy the views there very much as well…!

April 12th, 2008 at 4:27 pm
Pearl

Hi, if I am not mistaken it is called Angsana Tree. The fruit when dried looked like a 50 sen coin, flat but thick in the centre.

There is one particular tree after Penang Sport Club, your front windscreen will feel raindrops even on a clear day especially after 7pm.

We used to ride on a bike and feel as if it is dizzling.

Another tree bears yellow flower, we called “cheng beng wah”. It usually flowers as cheng beng approached, kind of like a reminder to us not to forget our loved ones.

April 12th, 2008 at 8:25 pm
little inbox

ck, by the way, I’m the owner for http://mylittlecottage.wordpress.com , http://loveiscolorful.blogspot.com,http://www.eatingpleasure.blogspot.com, and also http://www.littleinbox.blogspot.com.

Thanks for added me as ur blog roll. I have you to my makan king and queen as well.

April 13th, 2008 at 6:56 pm
CK Lam

Pearl,thks for the information.

The droppings of the yellow flowers on the road looks like a carpet of gold under the hot sun.

April 13th, 2008 at 9:10 pm
Bris77

Hi CK Lam, check out the purple flower tree nearby BoonSiew’s mansion, after KWSP building. Awesome.. and if you stand below it when the purple flowers are dropping, you are as like being in Winter Sonata series..hehehe..

February 22nd, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Bris77 – Wow…that sounds cool. Will look out for it when down that road.

February 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 pm
Ee May

Dear CK Lam, the huge trees lining Macalister Rd (including the ones in front of St Georges) are indeed called Angsana Trees. The purple flowers at Boon Siew’s residence mentioned above are Lagerstoemia trees which bloom every year roundabout Feb-March, during the hot dry period. My friends and I just launched our book, “Heritage Trees of Penang”. All the trees lining major streets in Penang are described and photographed in this book. You can check out http://www.facebook.com/HeritageTreesOfPenang and http://www.arecabooks.com/. Cheers!

July 10th, 2011 at 8:06 pm