Apr

Piggy Bank Containers

Posted by: CK Lam   in Collectibles

Almost every child has a ‘piggy bank’ when they were young. Money were kept in these containers with a slot for dropping coins. These containers which were pre-dominantly used by children back then; comes in different figures, shapes, sizes and colours.Nowadays people find it a bit troublesome and wasteful using these type of ‘piggy bank’ because it needs to be broken up in order to retrieve the money. It starts to phase out slowly. User friendly containers made of plastic and tins have gradually replaced these breakable ones.

As a child, I used to have a ‘piggy bank’ in the shape of a chicken. I am pretty sure you have one too when you were young. It would be nice if you can share your nostalgic stories with me!

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 17th, 2008 at 9:35 pm and is filed under Collectibles. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

durianberry

I love the photo! Hardly see these anymore. When I was in primary school I had a ‘kitty bank’ cos I like miao miao. But it’s always empty la. Hehe. I do save lots of $$ though. My mom will hand me RM1 and I use 50cent for food. The money saved I spend Doraemon comics ^.^

April 18th, 2008 at 3:52 am
CK Lam

Just like you, both of my sons spend a lot of their savings on Doraemon and Dragonball comics.

April 18th, 2008 at 9:28 am
Mr. Teo

I read the Doraemon the most…big bro is always the one reading dragon ball! =p

April 18th, 2008 at 7:01 pm
Steven Goh

Nowsaday kids seldom have saving, I can see my sisters kids all don’t have saving 1. Once they have some money they will buy things that they one. Eg. Ipod Nano, PSP, etc.

April 20th, 2008 at 5:30 pm
CK Lam

That is true…the upbringing and lifestyle of children nowadays is totally different.

April 20th, 2008 at 9:11 pm
little inbox

Yea, I remember once I have a colorful hen as my ‘piggy bank’. Felt so sayang to have it broken when my coins filled up its stomach.

April 22nd, 2008 at 8:57 pm
Bris77

I have a pair of smaller piggy bank and still slotting coins into it.. the coins sure come handy when I need it most! Don’t have to break them, as bottom of the piggy bank has a lid to open and ‘korek’ the coins out! I have a Colonel KFC jar too.. it used to have ‘row row your boat’ song each time i dropped coin in.. but guess run out of battery last 5years ago! Sigh…

February 22nd, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Little Inbox & Bris77 – Each of us does have our own story to tell… and thanks for sharing your part with me.

February 22nd, 2009 at 11:21 pm