***The restaurant has since closed down.

In Penang, mee sua are sold in different variations such as ‘mee sua koh’, fried mee sua’ and ‘ark tui mee sua’. Recently we came across a stall selling a new found delicacy, ‘ang chew mee sua’ ????.

‘Ang Chew mee sua’ is actually rice vermicelli cooked in red fermented rice wine. It is considered a confinement food and also a dish for birthdays in the Foochow community.

The stall is found in the coffee shop located at the corner of Burma Road/Kedah Road junction. Another landmark that you can refer to is that this shop is right beside the famed Fatty Boy Chicken Rice.

The lady owner was kind to shared with us her expertise in preparing the red wine; from the fermentation of glutinous rice, red rice (in the plastic bottle) to the starter cake or commonly known as chou bang ??. The outcome of the residue is in the yellow container. To see how it is done in detail, click to Aunty Nee’s blog.

These are the pots of red wine chicken soup. The red colour appearance of the soup turned me off at the first glance but after tasting it, I truly find it very unique and enjoyed in immensely!

Every bowl of mee sua comes with a chicken drumstick. The texture of the mee sua is very fine and smooth. The full flavoured chicken soup is slightly sweet with a hint of liquor. We were recommended to have another bowl of mee sua with a hard boil egg – the lady told us that we should mix the egg yolk into the soup. It was very tasty and I couldn’t resist drinking up all the soup!

We really enjoyed the smooth mee sua. Forgot to mention, it cost only RM4.00 for a bowl of mee sua with chicken drumstick and only RM3.00 for the hard boil egg mee sua. If you are the adventurous type, do drop by this stall which is open from lunch till dinner.

***Updates (19/2/2009) : The coffee shop has already closed down and all the stalls have shifted out.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 at 3:50 pm and is filed under Foochow, George Town, Hawker, Noodles, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

New Kid on the Blog

I didn’t know they have this stall in Penang. And the link of how to make this ang chew was very detailed. I like…thk u.

May 4th, 2008 at 3:07 pm
CK Lam

Making this ang chew sure is a long and tedious process lo…
You should try out the mee sua and share with me your opinion on its taste.

May 4th, 2008 at 3:45 pm
durianberry

I saw the mee sua shop at Burmah Rd yesterday and made a note to go there. Sounds really good from your description. Now I’m even more eager to try it :)

May 5th, 2008 at 12:43 pm
CK Lam

Haha you better try it before you leave Penang :P

Having fun back home? Must be enjoying yourself immensely, seeing that you have not been updating often :P

May 5th, 2008 at 9:22 pm
Eleen Por

Hey there CK,

After reading your post on this red wine vermicelli, I shared it with some frenz and suggested that we go check it out sometime soon.

A galfren of mine couldn’t wait for us and went there by herself yesterday. Read her post below on the current quality and info about that stall. Just tot you might wanna know. :)

August 28th, 2008 at 9:24 pm
CK Lam

Eleen Por – Thanks for sharing your friend’s blog with me. It’s nice to see her review on the place and update us on the new prices too.

Looks like many hawker food sudah naik harga…

August 28th, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I tried to search for this stall twice and could not find it. Is it on Burma Rd/Kedah Rd? I was at the junction and could not find the stall.
You also mentioned that it was next to the Fatty Loh, but I saw the Fatty Loh at Nagor Rd(was it Nagor? Not too sure.)
I wanted to try this stall as I was having it in Kajang during my uni time. And did not see any stall selling it in Penang.
Thanks!

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 14th, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Glad to see this Foo Chow dish here. My mum side is foo chow, having home brew red wine for ‘hong jiu mian xian’ is a must for festive season and occasional weekends. It was divine especially during winter abroad :)
A great blog going on here!

February 16th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Soo Sean & Adel – Sad to say, the coffee shop has already closed down and all the stalls have shifted out. Will update the info if I have any news on its new location.

February 19th, 2009 at 11:06 pm

No wonder. I went twice and did not manage to find it.
Going to town for lunch later. Luckily I read your reply, else will be the 3rd time looking for it.

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 24th, 2009 at 10:33 am
Karina

Hi CK, today I so happened to read through your blogs from the very beginning until the latest pages, I just wanted to say, you guys are superb, double thumbs up =) and I would very much love to enjoy foods like you guys!!!
by the way, do you have any idea anywhere else that I can find this ang chew mee sua because it is extremely wanted from my mum and I!!!

Thanks for visiting my food blog. So far, I have not seen any new stalls selling the ang chew mee sua. I like it too and will definitely share when I do come across a new stall.

April 29th, 2010 at 11:57 pm
chris

there is one more foochow stall (just open in Oct/Nov 2011) at Ayer Itam Market. at a small corner coffee shop near the bus stands

December 9th, 2011 at 9:31 am