Last night dinner was at the new and spacious Korean Palace BBQ Restaurant in Jalan Tanjung Tokong. Located on the 1st floor of Wisma Bayu, it was opened in late April 2008. This was the first time we step into this restaurant. At the entrance of the lift, was a poster featuring some of their dishes. The lift leads directly to the entrance of this brightly lighted restaurant. Browsing through the menu, we found many choices of soups, noodles, rice, stews and the popular barbeque meat charcoal grilled at the table. One part of the menu is only available for lunch. We started the BBQ meal with an assortment of “banchan”, small cold side dishes (total of 10) and a plate of salad. The salad is a combination of lettuce, perilla leaves, slices of pumpkin and corn. We love the perilla leaves which is very aromatic.
Just see how much trouble they take to cut this piece of paper thin pickled white radish.On top of our food list was Chadolbaegi – beef brisket (RM 45), followed by Osam Bulgogi – pork belly with squid (RM35). The thinly beef slices comes with quite a bit of fats which makes it more tender. The pork and squid were marinated in red pepper paste.The meat is charcoal grilled by the staff unlike when we did it ourselves in Kim Chi Restaurant. The grilled tender and juicy pieces of meat is absolutely delicious eaten with a dip in their special sauce. It enhances the flavor of the meat wonderfully !!The slightly spicy red pepper paste used for marinating the pork and squid is very tasty and it further raises our appetite. The meat is best eaten wrapped up in lettuce or the perilla leaves.Yukgaejang is another dish that we had. This hot and spicy beef soup has a combination of beef slices, lots of fresh vegetables and egg. It is accompanied with a bowl of rice.
Dining is very pleasant in this very well ventilated restaurant. Exhaust funnels fixed under the table helps to suck up the smoke from the griller. So no worries of smelly clothings after the meal :)
At the end of our meal, we were served with watermelon and refreshing chilled dessert drink. My son loves the drink……who would have thought that a simple rice drink tasted so good.
We fully enjoyed the dinner. The staff were friendly and service was quick….with a press on the bell at the table.There will definitely be many more visits for us to this restaurant to savour their other dishes especially their Beef Bulgogi. The last time we had this dish was at Sam Oh Jeong Korean Restaurant. I highly recommend this Korea Palace BBQ Restaurant to anyone looking for good Korean food in Penang. This place is run by a friendly Korean lady who is always on hand to assist newbies to Korean cuisine.
Here is the location.
Korea Palace BBQ Restaurant
28-1-2 Jalan Tanjung Tokong
Penang
Tel : 04 8997900  (Updated)
Bussiness Hours : 12pm – 3pm & 6pm – 10pm

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, May 26th, 2008 at 7:15 pm and is filed under BBQ, International, Korean Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Tanjung Tokong. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

New Kid on the Blog

I saw this restaurant whenever I passed by that area. But never have the urge to try Korean food… :) Anyway, thanks for sharing.

May 26th, 2008 at 9:41 pm
550ml jar of faith

Been planning to try this place and now, I definitely will! Cheers!

May 27th, 2008 at 11:33 am
CK Lam

new kid on the blog – Do give it a try some other day.

550ml jar of faith – good for you…there are even private rooms available for funtions.

May 27th, 2008 at 8:03 pm
squall

oh loot nice food…must visit when im going back penang…

May 28th, 2008 at 1:52 pm
Criz Lai

Wow… the food are displayed so abundantly. They sure looked impressive to me. After the last Korean food I had, I think I prefer Japanese food more as in taste wise. :)

May 28th, 2008 at 2:20 pm
yammylicious

aww i’m heading down to png in july end! =) aww recently i’m overdose for korean food! >< but still bbq lover

May 28th, 2008 at 4:47 pm
Matelda

Pass by a few times will definately give it a try! Wonder izit the same as the one in Gurney?

May 28th, 2008 at 10:47 pm
what2see

Squall – looks like you have a long list of nice food outlets for your visit back home in Penang…

Criz Lai – if you try this Korean food, you might change your mind :)

Yammylicious – should give this a try on your visit…Korean food in Penang might have a different taste from those in KL.

Matelda – nice of you to drop by my blog…the food in Korean Palace is different from the one in Gurney… it is more authentic and the air circulation is more conducive.

May 28th, 2008 at 11:34 pm
Jackson

u make me craving for Korean BBQ!

May 29th, 2008 at 9:33 am
Rasa Malaysia

CK, thanks for dropping me comments on my blog. Appreciate it.

I never tried any Korean food in Penang…this one does look promising. :)

May 29th, 2008 at 12:54 pm
little inbox

Hubby and I never tried any Korean food b4 in Penang. Hubby said when he went to Korea previously his supplier brought him to taste the real Korean food with lots and lots of side dishes…:P
I have to ask him to bring me to korean restaurant one of these days.

May 29th, 2008 at 9:14 pm
CK Lam

Jackson – thanks for dropping by my blog…the photos in yr blog makes me crave for Jakarta’s Bumbu Desa food as well.

Rasa Malaysia – If you think the food looks promising, wait till you give it a try :p

May 29th, 2008 at 9:37 pm
CK Lam

little inbox – since this will be the first you and hubby are having Korean food in Penang, I strongly recommend this place to both of you…the menu contains a wide varities to choose from.

May 29th, 2008 at 9:43 pm
JeromeFo???

Omgz. I will like ‘flying’ now to there and eat !

May 30th, 2008 at 6:40 am
Kar How

Hey. aunty! It’s Kar How here. Learned about your blog from MZ. It’s great so far. Love the new layout and logo! And the pictures of the food are well taken! It makes me miss Penang so much but now I know that there are so much in Penang to look forward to when I come back. Keep the entries coming! Send my regards to MZ and uncle! =)

May 30th, 2008 at 8:04 pm
CK Lam

Jerometo – well, that’s Penang … the place of good and tasty food.. makes you longing for more.

Kar How – Happy to see you dropping by my blog all the way from Australia…I am still learning to improvise my blog (its going to be one year old soon).
Penang is waiting for you to come back with open arms…haha

May 30th, 2008 at 10:52 pm
gill gill

ooo…same as New Kid on the Blog said…

Haaa…i will go for a try after seing your blog post.

June 7th, 2008 at 1:02 am
CK Lam

gill gill – Its fun and enjoyable trying different food at times.
I am sure you and your hubby will have a good time there.

June 7th, 2008 at 10:29 am
J2Kfm

Korean food post! never try this restaurant through out my yrs in Pg.
good blog you have, so many yummy and undiscovered pg food!

June 10th, 2008 at 7:55 pm
CK Lam

Thanks for dropping by. This Korean restaurant opened just recently.

Your blog about Ipoh food is mouth watering too..especially the sar keong chicken.

I have placed the link of your blog in mine.

June 10th, 2008 at 10:34 pm
Lina

Hey CK Lam! Nice one on the Korean food. Do u happen to have the contact number? I plan to make reservation for CNY makan ;) Thanks in advance.

January 28th, 2009 at 10:08 am

Lina – Unfortunately I don’t have the telephone number as it was pretty new when I went there.

January 29th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Their number is listed in one of CK Lam’s photographs: 604-899 7900.

I love your reviews =)

J.Scott´s last blog post..Pizza Hut’ s CNY Pizza

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:25 pm
MT

Do they serve Korean Ginseng wine there or any alchoholic beverages?

February 22nd, 2009 at 1:22 am

I love Sikhye too! It’s a very refreshing drink!

pixen´s last blog post..Lemongrass Chicken

April 18th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

J.Scott – Nice to see you dropping by.

MT – I am not too sure about that. Maybe you could enquire from them at 04 8997900.

pixen – Hi pixen… it’s been a while since you drop your foot print in my blog.

April 20th, 2009 at 12:07 am
santy lim

korean food is not something u wil fal in luv the 1st time u eat it.. i hate korean food early years i got married to korean. last 3 years i couldnt get sick of korean food. where ever i travel we hunt for korean food. every restaurant have different taste of kimchi. so if they make a good kimchi sure they make a good food. but i’ll definetaly will try this one. so if anyone know all the korean restaurant in penang please be nice to inform me all of it. this site is great..
c.k. gud luck :-))

August 20th, 2009 at 3:25 pm

santy lim – Thanks for dropping by my blog. Do check your email as I have forwarded the info to you.

August 26th, 2009 at 11:48 am
BBjaejoong

can u tell me where is the place in penang that make the ‘HALAL’ Korean foods..

March 6th, 2010 at 9:58 pm
Lani

i hv tried the food at Korean Palace Tanjong Tokong, very big disappoinment!! Localized taste!!! And the service is really poor.
Any good pure Korean restaurant to be recomanded???

March 19th, 2010 at 10:01 am
tk

Daorae??????Korea Palace?????
which one better between daorae and korea palace??

March 23rd, 2011 at 4:25 pm
yuyu

it is halal?

October 14th, 2012 at 4:20 pm
Callyn Seow

Korea Palace is bad servise and very slow even customer not many …the most important is Side dishes, the staff do not want to refill for customer, If the side dishes can not refill or just can refill 2 time, pls write or translate the information clearly… do not let the customer
misunderstanding…

May 15th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Korea Palace was my mom’s restaurant! hehe. The lady in the photo is my mom! This was years ago and now the owner has changed and so has the service and the taste of the food sadly. We had to move away from Penang and we had to sell the restaurant sadly :( I do miss the times I had in the restaurant with my mom meeting so many new customers! :)

November 14th, 2013 at 9:48 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Irish Pub & Restaurant, Shenanigans - Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 03 2008 / 6pm:

[...] and Tanjung Tokong. I was lucky enough to have tried the Swiss, Bulgarian, German, Japanese and Korean food around these area and in [...]