May

Eng Loh – Peanut Butter Toast

Posted by: CK Lam   in George Town, Hawker, Penang, Roti Bakar

Peanut Butter !!! There are many varieties of peanut butter. I have been using peanut butter as a spreader since ……can’t even remember when. I loved the Skippy creamy ones although I sometimes have the extra chunky version too. Another favourite of mine is Smucker’s black current and strawberry. They make a tasty spread for bread as well as cream cracker.

Besides making peanut butter toast at home, my hubby and myself like to eat those sold at Eng Loh coffee shop located at Church Street. The bread is known as Taiwan Roti and the thick slice is sold for RM3.50. The main ingredients is margarine, peanut butter and crushed peanuts. The bread is the ordinary fresh white bread which is sliced into very thick pieces. It is toasted with a layer of margarine. Peanut butter is then spread on to the melted margarine with crushed peanuts sprinkled on top.

The warm crusty bread and the stickiness of the peanut butter is delicious. On the first bite, it tends to stick to the gums…. and glue the jaws together for few seconds.

And not forgetting a hot cup of kopi-o kau that goes hand in hand with the toast. Super breakfast :P

Eng Loh Coffee Shop
Church Street (Jalan Gereja)
Penang

Opening Hours : 8am – 3pm
Closed : Sunday
GPS Coordinate : N 05 25.106 E 100 20.457

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 at 10:40 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Roti Bakar. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

New Kid on the Blog

Oooo…. dont you find it a bit too sweet?

May 15th, 2008 at 9:02 pm
CK Lam

Hmm..already got used to the taste that I don’t feel it is sweet…

May 16th, 2008 at 3:05 pm
Sweet Jasmine

Oh..Peanut butter…is too rich for me….but once in a while I spread it on my hot pancakes…I love the smooth ones….

May 17th, 2008 at 12:55 pm
CK Lam

That’s good…spreading the smooth n creamy ones on pancakes..tks for the idea.

May 17th, 2008 at 4:54 pm
Criz Lai

Yummy!! This is the best peanut butter toast I have eaten in the whole world! Errr.. I mean in Malaysia.. hehe. There is another one in Tg Tokong that served the best local coffee and homemade rich kaya toast :P I never fail to get a bottle or two during my each visit there :)

May 28th, 2008 at 2:10 pm
what2see

I also love kaya on my toast… where is this place selling the nice and rich homemade kaya?? pls, pls tell me…

May 28th, 2008 at 6:46 pm
PL

Hey, when does Eng Loh coffee shop open for business? I went today at 9.30am and they were closed. They close Sundays?

July 20th, 2008 at 4:31 pm
CK Lam

PL – the coffeeshop is close for business on Sunday and is open from early morning on Monday right up to Saturday.

July 20th, 2008 at 4:43 pm
PL

Thanks a lot. Will try again next Saturday then :)

July 20th, 2008 at 5:18 pm
Bris77

I just came back from Eng Loh Kopitiam, after reading CK Lam’s blog yesterday (hahaha! super fast, huh?).. tried the peanut butter bread… wow.. this is jolly good! CK, what you said is correct, the thick peanut butter tend to stick to the gums and jaws but it’s worth it.. hahaha! FYI, they called it as Taiwan Roti @ RM3.50 for one thick slice (exactly like the one posted in CK’s pic)! I ordered one ordinary kopi, and it’s thick and not very sweet.. hooray, up to my high expectation! If one order the ordinary peanut better spread, it’s only RM1.80.. :)

February 13th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Briss77 – Glad that you found the place…the taiwan roti definitely is yummy. Its been some time since I last had my roti. Will sure to go soon as I miss it.
Thanks for the info, will update it in my blog :)

February 13th, 2009 at 2:20 pm
Max Weng

You should try oso the hot Nescafe over there as they do tarik it b4 send to ur mouth!!! hahaha… so good smooth of it as I do hv it in the morning…

April 28th, 2009 at 8:44 pm
nick

Peanut butter is not good for health – it can cause cancer – pls reduce the consumption – thanks.

August 28th, 2010 at 7:35 am

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Church Street, Penang Tel Number: N/A Closed On: Sundays Business Hours: 8am-3pm Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/05/peanut-butter-toast/ http://reginatravel-foodparadise.blogspot.com/search/label/Peanut%20Butter%20Toast [...]

2. Penang Coffee Shops / Food Courts List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm: