*** Update:  Tonki Bento has closed
Irasshaimase! greeted us when we stepped into Tonki Bento. In Penang particularly Pulau Tikus area, there is a higher number of Japanese restaurants mainly due to the presence of Japanese expatriates staying around this buzzing area. Tonki Bento is one of the many outlets tucked in the quiet Lintang Burma.

Entrance of the restaurant is lighted up with red lanterns which you can’t miss. The interior decoration is simple yet nice; with soothing Japanese music playing in the background. The place is patronized mainly by Japanese and some of them were chattering away, giving this place a very authentic Japanese feel. We took some photos and browse through some Manga while waiting for our food.

This is my hubby’s Unagi Kabayaki – grilled eel. Grilled lightly brown on the outside with a sweetish sauce and yet soft on the inside. He likes the unagi for its rich flavour.

My Saba Shioyaki – Grilled saba with salt. The fillet was grilled until slightly char but not burnt yet maintaining the nice fishy smell. The skin was crisp and not too salty.

For an additional add-on of RM2.50, we get a set which include a bowl of rice, salad, miso soup, fruits and ice cream. This was a simple and tasty meal. They are introducing a new menu from this month onwards with more choices of sushi, sahimi and bento sets. Patrons could opt for delivery services too!

Tonki Bento is located in No. 2, Lintang Burmah, Pulau Tikus and it closes on Tuesday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, July 6th, 2008 at 10:52 pm and is filed under International, Japanese Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pulau Tikus. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Little Inbox

Previously it’s called Tonki, isn’t it? I still remember you inform me that somebody copy my posting from My Little Cottage, hehe…

July 7th, 2008 at 8:14 am
Trailing Spouse

I’ve been to this bento place once and I tried the delivery service over the weekend! The delivery charge is just RM1! I had to wait for a long time for my food to arrive though (1.5hrs); apparently, it was lunchtime and they were overcome with orders.

July 7th, 2008 at 9:19 am
CK Lam

As the signboard says, it is Tonki Bento and business is good even on that weekday.

Just wondering if that lady blogger that copied your posting is still doing that unethical trick to others?

July 7th, 2008 at 9:23 am
CK Lam

Trailing Spouse – looks like business is good on weekdays and weekends too.

Its good to have food delivered right to our doorsteps on certain days when you dont feel like driving out. Is the food as fresh and tasty as those consume in the restaurant?

July 7th, 2008 at 9:28 am
New Kid on the Blog

talking about enethical trick… my blog’s pictures seems to be copied by lots of people. [sad]

I hv never come across this shop in pulau tikus… :(

July 7th, 2008 at 9:35 am
buzzingbee

Yeah there seems to be quite a number of Japanese restaurants there. Sometimes just wonder which is good to try out.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:07 am
CK Lam

New Kid on the Blog – This restaurant cannot be seen as it is located behind a row of shoplot.

Sad to hear of your blog’s pictures being copied. My case is even worse. The lady copied my pictures and even every word of my post. All she did was adding a few words of : yummy, wow, must try at the end of her post :(

Have you consider putting watermark on your pictures?

Buzzingbee – for quiet environment and nice presentation, go to Jurin and Cuisine Bou… or grab a bowl of udon at Yataimura and a tasty bento box at Tonki. Most of the outlets here offers tasty Japanese cuisine.

July 7th, 2008 at 10:39 am
550ml jar of faith

Hey they’ve got a sexy new menu! When I visited, it didn’t look nearly as good as this. Remember they had a kimchi chicken dish which was really good!

July 7th, 2008 at 6:08 pm
CK Lam

Now that you have recommended the kimchi chicken, I would sure drop by to savour it :)

Do check out this place again.

July 7th, 2008 at 7:37 pm
Little Inbox

ck, who cares? I have even forget her website already, hehe…

July 7th, 2008 at 9:59 pm
Trailing Spouse

The food was ok, but a little cold. Other than than, it was fine. I ordered the kimchi chicken (think it is called Tori Kimuchi?)! It was a little spicy but delicious!

July 8th, 2008 at 4:02 pm
gill gill

i saw you twist in one month! Sure kena lottery!….haha, i saw you gathering with your family & friends beside the foodcourt when i was taking the escalator up to the Queen’s Bay ground floor. :)

July 8th, 2008 at 10:44 pm
CK Lam

Gill Gill – That is what we Chinese says ‘Yuen Furn’ that we get to see each other twice in a month. I had lunch with my friend on that day and stop by the soya bean stall for my dose of ginger syrup tau fu fah.

But why didn’t you stop by :(
I would love to meet you.

July 8th, 2008 at 11:04 pm
ai wei

gosh, this made me craving for jap food in the middle of night! all seems to be real delicious!

July 8th, 2008 at 11:34 pm
PenangTuaPui

haven’t try this before and will give them a visit (only after my wife delivered).. she is jap food lover.

Seeing some comment about photo and content get stolen and copied.

TO me, I am happy with it, why… no one will copy rubbish, dun feel upset and you should be proud of what you had done..

Those copy catssss will get their pay back one day.

July 9th, 2008 at 1:47 am
D-Bos

Hi CK,

I am glad you found my blog. I will most certainly be consulting yours on the food front. I notice you highlight a Japanese restaurant currently. I’m glad to see that as I haven’t located a good Japanese place yet. I tried the one in the G Hotel – good food but no ambience. Thanks again for making contact.

July 9th, 2008 at 9:05 am
CK Lam

Trailing Spouse – you are the secong person to recommend this delicious kimchi chicken. Will keep this in mind…thanks.

Ai Wei – the food sure is delicious…the place is packed with Japanese. You won’t go wrong if their own people are eating there too.

Penangtuapui – Congratulations to both you and your wife… very soon naik pangkat to be papa and mama.Keep this place in mind, and drop by whenever you feel like having a simple Japanese meal or take-away.

July 9th, 2008 at 10:18 am
Anonymous

Good food blog u have! Went through the whole lot. It would be even better if u could tell the price of the food and the actual location (a map would be great).
Keep it up!

Bryan

July 10th, 2008 at 12:11 pm
Sweet Jasmine

Hi,CK..I will sure be trying this one out and their kimci chicken. thks for sharing.

July 10th, 2008 at 12:34 pm
CK Lam

Bryan – Thank you for dropping by my blog and glad that you like it. I will keep your advice in mind.

Sweet Jasmine – if you happen to visit this place, do share your reviews with me :)

July 10th, 2008 at 1:41 pm
Kevin Lee

Hi can Tonki Bento send the Brochure for me??

October 31st, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Kevin Lee – You can call them at this numbers… 017 475 7100 or 016 4390606.

I am sure they will be happy to arrange and send a copy to you.

October 31st, 2008 at 2:17 pm
Debbie

Once in a week i would have tonki bento delivery for office lunch. I have to say the knife work is so “fine” and “skillful”. If only the fish fillet can be thicker, it would be a credit.

May 28th, 2010 at 12:28 pm
joey

are your shop sending the delivery till inti there?

Do give them a call for the info. They can be reach at 017 4757100.

January 20th, 2011 at 11:07 am

1. Japanese Cuisine Tonki Bento Penang What2See Best of Penang | Outdoor Decor    Jun 14 2009 / 5am:

[...] Japanese Cuisine Tonki Bento Penang What2See Best of Penang Posted by root 12 minutes ago (http://www.what2seeonline.com) The interior decoration is simple yet nice with soothing japanese music seeing some comment about photo and content get stolen and copied copyright 2008 what2see best of penang food is proudly powered by wordpress Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Japanese Cuisine Tonki Bento Penang What2See Best of Penang [...]

2. » Penang Japanese Restaurant List Penang Deli    Sep 16 2009 / 9am:

[...] Tonki Bento Address: No. 2, Lintang Burmah, Pulau Tikus Tel Number: 017-4757100, 016-4390606 Closed on: Tuesdays Business Hours: Lucnh: 11am-1pm, Dinner: 6pm-11:30pm Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/07/japanese-cuisine-tonki-bento-penang/ [...]