The Lone Pine Hotel is located along Batu Ferringhi and it is within walking distance to restaurants, shopping outlets and Penang’s famous ‘Ferringhi Night Bazaar’. The cozy hotel has its rooms facing the sea and the beautiful garden shaded by Casuarina trees.

There are two dining places in this hotel and we had our dinner at The Bungalow which offers local, international and also Hainanese cuisine. The restaurant offers outdoor and indoor sitting areas with simple furnishing and decor.
We requested for the outdoor sitting area under a big canopy so as to get a clearer picturesque view of the sunset and watch the on-going activities on the beach front. People are having fun riding up and down the stretch of beach on four wheelers and horses. These activities are hardly seen down town.

Enough of the scenery, now for what we came here for. Dinner! :D

When glancing through the menu, the first item that catches my attention is ‘The Bungalow Duet’. This uniquely named dish (RM19.80) is made up of deep-fried Hainanese Spring Rolls and Batu Maung satay. This dish is accompanied with a delicious spicy sauce, onions and cucumber pieces. I strongly recommend this appetizer dish.

The younger generations may not be well versed with the next dish; the Chicken Macaroni Pie (RM24.00).  Just ask anyone who have eaten it before, this dish might very well put a smile on their faces.

How is this dish prepared? Well, this dish can be declared a true fusion between Eastern and Western culinary. Macaroni, carrots, button mushroom and chicken slices are cooked in a special sauce, and then baked with a layer of crust on top. The picture below may give you a better description. I find it not very original because as far as I know, tomato sauce was never use in making the gravy. Still my son love it and heard him saying “I wish I could have it every day!”.

The mouth watering curry Chicken Kapitan (RM24.00) goes superbly well with rice. You can really taste the spices and herbs used to cook this dish.

Deep fried Inche Kabin (RM19.80), an all time favourite. No questions asked :D

Fried Ju Hu Char (RM17.80). This Nyonya dish is the vegetable dish that we had alongside the meaty dishes.

We are entertained by some live music performance during the later part of the night. This is truly an enjoyable and relaxing outing for us, savoring delicious food and watching the sunset! The night scenery is equally as serene as the daytime.

For those who are not too familiar with the Batu Ferringhi area, just check through the attached map.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, July 11th, 2008 at 8:30 pm and is filed under Hainanese Cuisine, Hotels, Nyonya Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Peranakan Cuisine, Tanjung Bungah. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

New Kid on the Blog

I have been to this place twice, each time gave me a different feeling whenever am visiting them. Went there twice was way before I was blogging about food.

Looks like I should pay them a visit again?! :)

By the way, we’ve tried the Chicken Macaroni Pie too. But then wasn’t tomato sauce. It was good to have one too.

July 12th, 2008 at 2:52 pm
CK Lam

New Kid on the Blog – I too had the Chicken Macaroni Pie many years ago without tomato sauce but this time around they seems to have change the receipe.

Is it the change of the chef or are they catering for the Europeans?

July 12th, 2008 at 4:20 pm
squall

really nice enviroment~~

July 12th, 2008 at 5:15 pm
550ml jar of faith

Gorgeous hotel, makes for a lovely dinner venue. I’m intrigued by the chicken macaroni pie… any idea where else we can find the original version?

July 12th, 2008 at 8:26 pm
CK Lam

Squall – this is definitely a getaway from the buzzing city.

550ml jar of faith – I am totally lost as where to find the place that serve original macaroni pie. Does anyone out there happen to know where to get it?

July 12th, 2008 at 11:02 pm
J2Kfm

oh, somehow the price range is slightly upmarket? but the ambience made up for that, I assume. good place.

July 14th, 2008 at 12:09 pm
CK Lam

J2kfm – I do find the prices a bit on the higher end too but I guess places with great atmosphere and beautiful seaview does cost more:)

July 14th, 2008 at 5:06 pm
name: da_big_d

Looks like a great place for a short break. I enjoyed your blog.

July 14th, 2008 at 8:07 pm
CK Lam

Name:da big d – very nice of you to drop by and indeed happy to know you.
It is worth visiting this place – a getaway from the city, to relax over a nice dinner.

July 14th, 2008 at 9:56 pm
durianberry

The pie! I want the pie! If I stay a night there I won’t leave for the rest of my life :P

July 15th, 2008 at 12:58 am
CK Lam

Durianberry – My dear, its been a long time not hearing from you.

Do visit this place if you have the time and have a taste of the Macaroni Pie… I am sure you will like it…or maybe even spend a weekend in this lovely seaside hotel.

July 15th, 2008 at 10:06 am
Foong

I have heard of their great Nyonya food but never did get around to trying it..Will make a note to go there for dinner sometime!
Nice blog, by the way.

July 15th, 2008 at 12:26 pm
PenangTuaPui

hi Ck..

Wanted to say sorry as you had visited my blog so many time and left comment and your blog is amazing too but I yet to add you in my blogroll… Sorry..

keep it up….

July 15th, 2008 at 10:36 pm
CK Lam

Foong – This place has been around for many years and gone through some renovations lately. Drop by and enjoy the food as well as the ambience.

July 15th, 2008 at 11:02 pm
Penang Tua Pui

i had added yours.. thanks for the support so far. thanks

July 16th, 2008 at 12:04 am
CK Lam

Penang tua pui – It was very nice of you to include me in your blogroll :)

Let all of us continue to introduce and bring the best yummy yummy food that this beautiful island has to offer to all viewers.

July 16th, 2008 at 11:07 am
PenangTuaPui

you are one of the best food blogger for penang and covered places that either one of us had been there before.

Looking forward to meet up soon. Lingzie and penangtuapui is organizing a penang food blogger outing at Hai Nam, stay tune….

July 16th, 2008 at 11:19 am
Duckie

oh once again, very near my place!!!

July 16th, 2008 at 1:11 pm
CK Lam

Duckie – It should be very convenient for you to visit this place…go there and jalan-jalan and enjoy the food :)

July 16th, 2008 at 11:21 pm
gill gill

eh eh…”Lingzie and penangtuapui is organizing a penang food blogger outing at Hai Nam”?!, oh great! Lets party!

July 17th, 2008 at 12:28 am
CK Lam

Gill gill – A good idea to have the gathering, a chance to meet everyone and of course enjoy tasty food…can’t wait:)

July 17th, 2008 at 9:14 am
durianberry

Wait for me to come back! Stuck in UPM now *sobz* Let me know the date, I’ll see if I can join you guys :D

July 17th, 2008 at 9:35 am
CK Lam

Durianberry – No worries, will keep you update on the outing as soon as I get the particulars from Penangtuapui.

July 17th, 2008 at 9:45 am
buzzingbee

The scenery was enough to make me hooked…not to mention the food yet. Hopefully can try out the chicken macaroni pie one day!! :)

blogger gathering?? How interesting!!!!

p/s:thanks for your comments in my blog…I just came back from my holiday!

July 17th, 2008 at 3:14 pm
Fortesfidelis

I havent been to Lone Pine for a very long time. I use to come here every Sunday with my family when I was a kid. It’s certainly has changed a lot. The food looks interesting too. What dishes would you recommend?

July 17th, 2008 at 6:29 pm
CK Lam

Buzzingbee – beautiful scenery and tasty food = enjoyment …worth visiting.

Fortesfidelis – Most Penangites knew about Lone Pine hotel but not this restaurant. Drop by and try out the Macaroni Pie and the Hainanese Spring Roll/Satay…

July 17th, 2008 at 7:16 pm
Criz Lai

It has been a long time since I last visited this place. I love the Sunday Buffet Lunch there but the place is just a bit too far for me to visit now. I ended up at E&O Hotel most of the time now :P

Hmmm… Macaroni Mashed Potato Pie. Anyone want to sponsor an oven? I can make good pies and pasta too. Sheppard Pies anyone?? Haha :P

July 19th, 2008 at 4:08 pm
CK Lam

Criz Lai – this place is slightly far from town, but a good option when you need to entertaining friends especially those from outstation and overseas.

Didn’t know that you are good at cooking too. How about organizing a pasta night with pies for dessert, all prepared by Chef Lai?

July 19th, 2008 at 11:35 pm
pixen

I love that place. The rooms were painted were painted like Southern France with orange/terra colors with plants. First time I was there, attending a Charity Dinner at the 2nd bungalow (left side of the restaurant.) Later on, my family would go there for the food. IT's a expensive compared to what the worth but the environment cured that feeling :-) BTW, did you notice the cutlery they used were from E & O? I know they were part of the group…I wonder why they don't have sets printed with the Lone Pine Logo?

CK, Thank you so much for all the infos you posted in this blog… :-) Is a very wonderful reference because when I told places of Penang, my European friends and families looked in disbelieved… WIth your blog I showed them that I'm not clouding their eyes :-P

Have nice week and thanks :)

August 27th, 2008 at 5:07 am
CK Lam

Pixen – It's nice knowing you and thanks for sharing your wonderful receipes with me.

All nice and good things are meant to be share with friends and I am glad that your European friends and families find my blog useful and I hope it will provide them some ideas of dining places in our lovely island.

You are indeed a very observant person. I didn't notice the word
E & O while dining in Lone Pine. The next time around, I must wear my reading glasses when I eat so as not to leave out any fine prints…haha.

August 27th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

i love the environment there, it is really nice!!! thanks for sharing~~~~

June 14th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Hotel has some charming character, bit old-fashioned, less nice than your pictures suggest. Environment is typical touristic.
Asian food in general ok although way to expensive compared to the great local food at coffee shops or restorans.
Western food: just to be short: a waste for your taste buds and a great way to trow good money away.
When in Penang: eat Penang food!
(Mind you, I love Euro-food… in France, Spain, Italy or Belgium.)
Just my 2 sen.
JP

August 13th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Jay-P. – You do have a point there. Thanks for sharing.

August 16th, 2009 at 5:01 pm
janice

hi, can give me the telephone no??? think go to try. thanks

August 18th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Hainanese Delights Restaurant @ 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 21 2009 / 3pm:

[...] around town that serve this authentic Hainanese dish. The last one that I had was a year ago at The Bungalow in Lone Pine Hotel. The younger generations will now be able to enjoy this type of pie at Hainanese Delights. The pie [...]