If you are looking for freshly baked pizza and tasty pasta, head over to Ecco Cafe. This cafe located in an old shop house in Penang has very simple and basic furnishings. It is located in Chulia Street and hence it is no surprise to see many tourists patronizing this cafe.

We were told that most of the food is made from scratch including the pizza dough, noodles and the bread.  We opt for two thin crust pizzas to share among us … the Fungi Pizza with sliced tomatoes, mushroom and basil (RM16) and the Louisiana Pizza with salami, onion, tomato, olives, fresh chili and basil (RM17). We liked the thinness of the crust which is a bit crisp at the edges.

P1080922 P1080917

P1080924

A plate of Salvatone Pasta comes with rings of salami, olives, mushrooms, onions and basil (RM15) and it is a good size portion for us to share.

P1080936

My son is enjoying himself all right…

ECCO0014P1080886

Calzone – turnover pizza dough stuffed with turkey ham, tomato, basil, capsicum, onion, tomato sauce and cheese (RM18). The calzone is baked till golden brown and served piping hot.

P1080955 P1080954

P1080962

Chicken Pot Pie with fillings of chicken cubes, peas, carrots, potatoes in a creamy sauce and baked with a pie-crust. It comes with a side salad and two bread sticks (RM16). It is a delicious pie.

P1080929P1080911P1080929

P1080911

P1080910P1080916P1080910

All of us had the freshly ground coffee which was served in a plunger (RM10), complementing the delightful dessert, Crème Burlee (RM10). This is an egg custard pudding topped with a layer of hard caramel. The waiter heated up the top layer of brown sugar until golden brown with a blowtorch, much to our amazement.

P1080958 P1080967

P1080984 P1080999

All of us enjoyed the food and were stuffed in the end. If you love pizza and pasta and don’t mind dining in a bit cramp place, do drop by 402, Chulia Street. It is just a couple of shops up from the junction of Cintra Street. It is open daily from 11.30am to 2.30pm and from 6pm to 10.30pm except Sunday. Tel. no. 04 -2623178

P1080978 P1080898

On the slightly downside, it could be a bit noisy due to the heavy traffic on this busy street. Click here for the Map Location.

Other food outlets along Chulia Street :
Rainforest Bakery
Restaurant Kapitan

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 at 10:33 pm and is filed under Cafe, Dessert, George Town, Italian Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Tau Sar Phneah

oh..it’s me taking your vip seat again..haha..the chic pie looks yummylicious..

btw, they still served the kopi in the traditional cup..so ‘yeng’ le..

August 28th, 2008 at 12:03 am
PenangTuaPui

hmm…. i like pizza la…. we had try a lot of pizza last week.. no time to arrange the posting.. hmm..

this shud be the one Huat Koay keep on telling to pay a trip to town to make our pizza week more complete…

yum yum….

August 28th, 2008 at 12:45 am
CK Lam

tau sar phneah – nice of you dropping by so early.

Drinking from this type of traditional coffee cup definitely gives one the nostalgic feeling…

August 28th, 2008 at 12:45 am
CK Lam

There are plenty more items in their menu to choose from besides those that I had. Give it a try and I am sure all of you will like it.

August 28th, 2008 at 12:56 am
J2Kfm

oh, Ecco Cafe, I think I saw this before, when we stayed at a guesthz there.
i like pizzas that’s thin, and lighter than Pizza Hut’s offerings.

August 28th, 2008 at 8:11 am
Little Inbox

I love cheesy pizza. Oh no, it’s off on Sunday. :(

August 28th, 2008 at 8:53 am
CK Lam

J2Kfm – there are plently of guesthouses around this area therefore you see mostly foreigners patronizing this place.
I think they should know better whether the taste is good or not.

This pizza can outbeat those serve by many franchise outlets.

Little Inbox – I am sure you will be able to find a day to visit this place. Besides those pizza from the menu, you can even order a pizza with your own choice of ingredients (made to order pizza) :)

August 28th, 2008 at 9:43 am
soo sean

I like this restaurant too, I heard that even their herbs are home-grown products. Not sure if it is true.

August 28th, 2008 at 2:14 pm
Shell (??)

The thin crust pizza
and salvatone Pasta looks nice & delicious..hope can eat now^^

August 28th, 2008 at 4:25 pm
550ml jar of faith

Really truly gorgeous food here! However, I think they went overboard with the recent price hike. Considering it’s still basically a kopitiam type premise (albeit with nicer lighting), the prices are a bit hard to stomach. Still, can’t beat the freshness and the originality!

August 28th, 2008 at 5:16 pm
Penang's Baby Shop

you finally have your blog up on Ecco .. thanks so much!! will go visit it probably this weekend, sad it’s closed on sundays :(

August 28th, 2008 at 5:52 pm
CK Lam

Soo Sean – it would be great if they are growing their own herbs as many oversea restaurants are doing the same too – fresh from the garden.

Shell – just add this place to your dining list and make it a point to try out the food when you are around town…yr list must be quite long by now…haha

550ml jar of faith – It is slightly pricier (especially the creme burlee) but in return we get an originality taste and very fresh and delicious food without any tax and service charges :)

Penang’s Baby Shop – I am sure you won’t want to miss out such yummy food right, so try to accomodate a few hours lor…

August 28th, 2008 at 6:17 pm
New Kid on the Blog

is their pasta good? or just average??

August 28th, 2008 at 8:27 pm
Allie

I like thin crust pizza more than the normal one.
The Pasta and the pizza looks yummy.

I luv creme burlee. yummmy…

Penangtuapui,

You may want to try the US Pizza at Greenlane to complete your pizza week. The cinnamon stick is so tasty.

August 28th, 2008 at 11:30 pm
CK Lam

New Kid on the Blog – Their tomato puree for the pasta is very original and tasteful :)

Allie – After eating pizza with thin crust, you will never want to eat those thick ones…do try out the yummylicious creme burlee.

August 29th, 2008 at 12:02 am
Eleen Por

CK,
There is one dish on the menu that is a *must-try*.

It’s called TRUZ and it’s actually cream pasta with bananas. Yup, you read right : Bananas! :D

The first time the owner recommended it to me, I was kinda sceptical thinking that the combination would be weird but boy, was I in for a nice surprise! It’s now on top of my ‘to-order’ items when I go there for my pasta fix.

And the Crème brulée…man, no words can describe it’s yumminess! I fell madly in love with it that I persuaded the owner to teach me how to make it. I now have my own ramekins (the round bowl to bake Crème brulée) and my own blowtorch (easily purchaseable from Prangin Mall). It’s really a breeze to bake at home and also, a lot of fun! :D

August 29th, 2008 at 12:19 am
Sweet Jasmine

Penang is surely a food haven, an old shophouse cafe serving delicious pizza and creme brulee together with kopi oh…

August 29th, 2008 at 1:43 am
CK Lam

Sweet Jasmine – unlike commercial places that we frequent nowadays, this old shophouse cafe does gives a nostalgic feeling.

August 29th, 2008 at 6:55 pm
gill gill

eleen por: cream pasta with bananas?? sure? must give it a try then!

August 31st, 2008 at 11:01 pm
CK Lam

Eleen Por – Truz sounds great…something unusual, definitely will give it a try…thanks.

September 1st, 2008 at 12:01 am
Aldren

Hahahaha, wait till you come an try your son’s home made creme brulee. This is no match at all. Trust me mum.

But I must admit this fellow is quite brave to bring such a concept in the PG market.

September 1st, 2008 at 2:43 am
CK Lam

Aldren – Hope I have the privilege to try your version of creme brulee real soon :)

September 1st, 2008 at 11:50 am

i really love your blog, it is very nice

+1´s last blog post..??????

November 6th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Hi there… what a nice blog full of FOOD… I’ve been to ECCO cafe before… The mango lassi is nice…

Mabel´s last blog post..Halloweennnnnn

November 7th, 2008 at 11:15 pm

+1 & Mabel – Its nice seeing both of you dropping by my blog :)

November 8th, 2008 at 12:45 am

after i read your blog, then i went to ecco cafe, and i really enjoy the pizza and the pie … i have taken some photos too … http://lovingfather.spaces.live.com/

+1´s last blog post..?????????

November 10th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

+1 – Glad that you like the food too. Btw… you took some really nice photos of the place.

November 10th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

those nice photos is from my friend photography skill :)

+1´s last blog post..Photo Album: ????

November 21st, 2008 at 4:21 pm
Sammy

The Ritz Cake House at Prima Tanjung offers a wide range of fingure licking fresh cream cakes. It’s the best cake house i found in Penang. Four Leave at Gama Supermarket also selling very nice Strawberry cakes.

January 16th, 2009 at 6:02 pm
Sammy

Typo: fingure=finger

January 16th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Sammy – I did try out the cakes at Ritz…very tasty especially the Green Tea cake.

January 18th, 2009 at 7:17 pm

the chicken pot pie….the one i like the most

February 27th, 2009 at 2:04 pm
Disy

I have the opportunity visit this restaurant last weekday. I don’t get it with all the rave going on in the internet and chain email about this restaurant. The pasta looks more like a Mee Poh rather then what it should be. The supposedly delicious chicken pot pie turn out to be a thin chicken soup with a paper thin crispy dough crust on top of it. And the mango lassie…..forget about it any mamak/indian restaurant have a much superior lassie then what this restaurant have to offer. The mushroom soup is fill with a sandy bit and pieces of mushroom flouting on a very thin soup. Well i do like the pizza…an ok pizza but the portion does not justify with the price tag. Price…well the price is on par with any proper more chic italian restaurant in town despite this reatuarnt operating on a typical Kopi Thiam. Well i keep on reminding myself one man meat is another man poison.

February 27th, 2009 at 8:57 pm
Jocelyn

I tried the Lemon Infused Chicken, it’s really surprise me!! The side dish handmade paste is very nice, as well as the dressing done. Very special & yummy!!!

March 16th, 2009 at 12:19 pm
jon

I just had lunch there and came back to check wat all the fuss is about. and i had the lemon infused chicken. for RM18, i got a very small piece of stringy and dry chicken. The pasta and bread stick is good tho but i wont be in a hurry to go back there. well at least Disy , we think alike… i kept reminding myself other ppl can’t be so.o.o wrong!

May 14th, 2009 at 2:11 pm
Sammy

Went to Ecco Cafe last week with my daughter. I ordered Truz Spaghetti (with banana cream sauce) and she ordered Hawaiian Chicken Pizza. All items are above average. Will certainly go back to try their Carlzone and Chicken Pot Pie. Their lassi is not that good. Sri Ananda’s one is better.

With the lower rate of rental at Chulia St. plus the non-air conditioned factors, i would say their food is not cheap. We paid RM50 for the dinner.

October 2nd, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Exactly nice and tasty foods to eat! Unfortunately I didn’t bring my camera… I will be back! :-) thanks for sharing :-)

October 31st, 2009 at 7:48 pm

just curious about one thing~is this restaurant is the Halal restaurant? i wana take my muslim frens there..

July 2nd, 2011 at 11:49 pm

1. Penang Food - Sky & Star Cafe | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 18 2009 / 10pm:

[...] One of my favorite stall would be the one located on the ground floor of Sky Hotel on Chulia Street which is known for its high number of budget hotels and small cafes. You could easily spot  this blue-ish building with the stall ‘WAI KEE’ right in the front entrance which is a few doors down from Ecco Cafe. [...]

2. Penang Western Food List Penang Deli    Jan 02 2010 / 11am:

[...] 04 -2623178 Closed On: Sundays Business Hours: 11.30am to 2.30pm, 6pm to 10.30pm Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/08/ecco-cafe/ http://www.mywisewife.com/penang-chulia-street-ecco-cafe-italian-cuisine-pizza-and-pasta.html [...]

3. Official Launching of Tropical Spice Garden Cooking School, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 19 2011 / 1pm:

[...] there is an array of guest chefs sharing their skills and passion -  from SiTigun, Choc Artisan, Ecco Cafe, Lighthouse Coffee, Soul Kitchen Trattoria, and Permai Village Cafe. It was great meeting them in [...]