Aug

Zhonghua Restaurant, Penang

Posted by: CK Lam   in Chinese, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pulau Tikus

Zhonghua Restaurant is located at One-Stop Midlands along Burma Road in Penang. It is on the first floor of the building, just right beside Berjaya Hotel. At the time of the dinner (last Saturday), the restaurant is offering a 50% promotion for its Peking Duck dish. This definitely is a bonus to those that loves this cuisine.

P1080304-1

The dishes for the night were of course the Peking Duck, Black Pepper Duck, Mixed Vegetables and Spareribs.

P1080311

P1080340-1

P1080321

P1080325

The naked Peking duck with its crispy skin was sliced in front of us. It makes up a plate in which everyone of us gets a few pieces each.

P1080308

The plate of crispy duck skin was served with a basket of pancakes, spring onions, cucumbers, carrot sticks and hoisin sauce. A bit oily but goes well with the pancake. This time around, we requested for the remaining duck to be fried with black pepper, a different way as compared to our previous Peking duck dish at Midland Court Restaurant.

P1080319-1

This is the succulent Chinese Pork Spareribs, marinated tastefully with mouthwatering flavor.  We were given a set of fork and knife to cut up the meaty rib which is very tender (just like dining in a western restaurant). Every one of us loves it.

P1080334-1

P1080345-1

Zhonghua Restaurant is an excellent dinning place for delicious food especially the Peking duck and Spareribs. The dinner cost around RM140. As most of you would know, there is also a restaurant in Cititel Hotel that goes with the similar name. I am not sure about their ties however these two restaurants serve slightly different cuisines respectively as mentioned in my older post.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, August 11th, 2008 at 8:33 pm and is filed under Chinese, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pulau Tikus. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Fortesfidelis

I love the duck here as well as the claypot fish with yam dish. I think they are probably their signature dish. The dim sum is also very nice but slightly expensive.

August 11th, 2008 at 9:02 pm
Little Inbox

Hmm…the duck skin is extremely tasty. Can’t stop to have more. Just that it contains some sort of chemical which ppl use to remove the duck feather.

August 11th, 2008 at 9:36 pm
CK Lam

Fortesfidelis – for now,this is one of the tastiest Peking duck that I have eaten in town.
The good news is…there is also a 50% for the dim sum too!

Little Inbox – we can’t help as most food would have all sorts of chemical nowadays and moreover we only eat this duck dish once in a while…should be ok lor.

August 11th, 2008 at 10:22 pm
squall

yum~~yum~~

August 11th, 2008 at 11:08 pm
Tau Sar Phneah

i love peking duck as well..it’s quite oily most of the time but as you mentioned it goes perfectly well with the pancakes and not to forget the spring onions…i tried once over here..but the taste is so so only..

August 12th, 2008 at 6:31 am
CK Lam

Squall – totally agree with you…

Tau Sar Phneah – the refreshing taste of the spring onions helps to balance out the oily duck skin…try it when you are back.

August 12th, 2008 at 9:52 am
durianberry

wow the spare ribs is glistening gloriously calling to be eaten ;D 50% discount for the duck! It’s so worth it. How long is the promo?

August 12th, 2008 at 10:42 am
PenangTuaPui

wow… peking duck lor.. that day fei fei just have lunch there before visting me and my wife for the new born baby boy….

but hor.. sorry la… no sharing.. as no photo shot.

August 12th, 2008 at 10:47 am
CK Lam

Durianberry – I went for the dinner after seeing the banner hanging infront of the restaurant showing the promotion. Will get back to you after confirming the promo period.

Its definitely worth getting the dish at half price. Even my son says he don’t mind going another time…

August 12th, 2008 at 11:04 am
New Kid on the Blog

Wrong timing to hop into What2See.. all these made me more hungry for food. :(

August 12th, 2008 at 12:35 pm
CK Lam

PenangTuaPui – treat your wife to this peking duck meal but don’t bring fei fei along. Don’t let him eat too much cos he is already so fat… very soon people will have to call him as “tai” fei fei…haha.

New Kid on the Blog – no worries … do drop by my blog to keep track of all the yummy food and ‘attack’ them one by one when you are well again.

August 12th, 2008 at 1:41 pm
Criz Lai

Yummy! I love Peking duck a lot. We always request for more spring onions for the wrapping. As for the remaining of the duck meat, it goes well with fried noodles too. :)

August 13th, 2008 at 12:19 pm
J2Kfm

peking duck is heavenly! somehow the ones I’ve tried in Malaysia ARE better than the ones I’ve had in Beijing. imagine that … =P

August 13th, 2008 at 9:22 pm
CK Lam

Criz Lai – a good idea…using the remainder duck meat to go along with noodles. I will try this method on the next outing.

J2kfm – its good to know that Malaysian chefs are improving and dishing out more tastier and yummy food for us :)

August 13th, 2008 at 9:55 pm
GG

I just get to know bout your blog today, and i find it very informative as i often look for nice food in Pg. Thanks for the pics and intro, nice blog! Will definitely check out more often :)

August 14th, 2008 at 11:29 am
CK Lam

GG – Its nice to see you dropping by my blog and glad that you like it. Do leave your comments as I appreciate them very much…thanks.

August 14th, 2008 at 2:50 pm
Shell (??)

peking duck is one of my favourite dishes~~miss the crispy skin^^

August 14th, 2008 at 10:31 pm
CK Lam

I think Peking duck is one of the better known duck dish. Its nice to know that you also have a liking for this dish :)

August 14th, 2008 at 10:44 pm
pixen

Before I went to Midlands Court I used to frequent to Zhonghua. When I came back to Penang last month, I went to try Midlands Court version with my friends as they also wanted to taste the differences.

I like Midlands Court’s Cold Dish especially the jellyfish :-) but quite disappointing for us was their Peking Duck..they didn’t cut at the table, the meat is a bit dry (my friends said the kitchen must have refried the duck again) and the Peking Duck skin’s fat was removed (maybe due to health concious?) Their Char Hor Fun is a bit tasteless..sigh…

Meantime, I will stick to Zhonghua :-)

Hi J2kfm… My sister said the same thing about Beijing’s Peking Duck is not as good as Penang :-D She’s comparing to Zhonghua. Also, the staff at the resto the guide took them were stuck up when they asked for extra sweet sauce.

The Peipa Duck at Northam Cafe is very juice as well. I always go there for the Peipa Duck. I think that’s the name no? Is the stall at the back…few stalls aaway from the Beef Noodles…

August 27th, 2008 at 4:53 am
CK Lam

Pixen – I share the same opinion as yours…I like to have the duck skin sliced at the table instead of being serve with the plate of skin. For now I am also sticking to Zhonghua … their food are pretty tasty and fresh :)
Btw…do try out their dimsum too.

Nice of you to recommend the stall at NC. Will visit the place one of these days.

August 27th, 2008 at 2:00 pm
KT

Hi CK Lam. Browsing your food blog to find a good place to celebrate my mom’s birthday. Is the promotion still on? Thinking of bringing her there after seeing your entry.

Thanks

October 15th, 2008 at 10:43 am

KT – I will check it out later in the evening and get back to you.

October 15th, 2008 at 5:03 pm
KT

Hi CK Lam, it’s ok..thanks. We went there last night.

It was a bad experience due to the diners there and also the food quality. There were only 2 tables with customers outside the hall. The private rooms were booked for so called “karaoke hostesses” from China who are working in a karaoke lounge upstairs. Not to say I am discriminating against this group of people, but I believe I don’t expect to see this group of people in and out the restaurant throughout our 1 1/2hrs of dinner there. It was rather distracting with them wearing scantily clothes and the noise. There were like around 40 of them coming in batches. I know they still have to eat. Just we weren’t expecting to see so many of them in a restaurant.

Sorry for the diversion. Back to the food comment. I wanted to order the peking duck, and since there were 8 of us, we were being introduced the 8 course dinner which already included the peking duck. Food quality was so so only cos not fresh. The duck was ok. Price was cheap RM 318 nett. Well, guess couldn’t expect much for such a cheap dinner.

If some of you intend to try out this restaurant, I would kindly advise against bringing children there at night.

October 16th, 2008 at 9:28 am