The long awaited Big Apple Donuts and Black Canyon Coffee have finally set foot in Aeon Seberang Prai, Penang. People in others states had been enjoying themselves in these two outlets for quite some time whereas Penangites were only able to do so lately.

We visited these two outlets during one of our jalan-jalan cari makan weekend.  After hours of window shopping and wandering around the new complex, we found ourselves hunting for the ‘much hype about’ donut and coffee outlet. There was a long queue with around fifty people patiently waiting in line at Big Apple. My son and myself also join in the queue for this snack. After an hour and twenty minutes of waiting, we manage to get our hands on the donuts. Most of the varieties are relatively common except for the spikey durian. We bought a big box with twelve assorted donuts.

31-08-08-1648-thumb 31-08-08-1727-thumb P1090409

With the precious donuts in hand, we cross over to Black Canyon Coffee to have some beverages. Fortunately for us, the waiting time for a table at this outlet is only fifteen minutes. Browsing through the menu, it shows that this restaurant also offers varieties of food. As we just needed a drink, we only went for the coffee. I had the Mexican Coffee which comes in a beautifully designed boot glass.

P1090403

Hubby and son had their cold Coffee Frost and Iced Coffee. The icy coffee was just refreshing. Hubby was a bit disappointed to say that there was an absence of the fresh coffee aroma in the surroundings as commonly found in Starbuck and Coffeebean. He wants to try out their black coffee the next time around.

P1090382P1090389(1)P1090398

We stole a quick bite of the spikey durian donut as food from other outlets are not allow! The freshly made donut is quite fluffy and the creamy durian filling is very fresh.

P1090393P1090414P1090418(1)

At the moment, these two outlets can only be found in the mainland. Hopefully we get to see more of these two outlets in Penang island itself soon. All in all, it was a lovely day out for the family. Till date, our most enjoyable food in this new complex is the bbq lunch at Che Go.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 21st, 2008 at 12:57 am and is filed under Cafe, Dessert, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Tau Sar Phneah

the boot alike glass is so unique..

September 21st, 2008 at 2:27 am
550ml jar of faith

What’s your favourite flavour, CK Lam? Mine’s the 101 Dalmatian, the black sesame one. Packs a real punch!

September 21st, 2008 at 10:35 am
Criz Lai

Love the boot drink. I wonder if they have takeaway like that? I don’t mind having one at home :P

September 21st, 2008 at 5:20 pm
CK Lam

Tau Sar Phneah & Criz Lai – That boot glass is indeed unique. I also love having the glass, would be best if I can have a pair :)

September 21st, 2008 at 6:08 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

1 hr and 20 mins?? Gee, that must’ve been painful…hats off to you on your patience CK :-)

Haven’t tried Big Apple Donuts yet… hope they are as good as Krispy Kremes.

The pictures look great – doughnuts and coffee sounds just heavenly :-) ..

September 21st, 2008 at 7:12 pm
YewSuan

HI CK

Your blog is really intresting, full of food and now I am really really Hungry …
I was so happy the other day when I saw Big Apple in Seberang Prai. I Q for 1/2 hour just to get 3 pieces.. I loved the Rolling Stone

Cheers
Carole
yewsuan.blogspot.com

September 21st, 2008 at 7:15 pm
email2me

OMG … the que up for donuts storm has hit Penang….. ~.~”

The Black Canyon Coffee is a Thai franchise. I had bad experience on their food.

The coffee are OK. The coffee that CK Lam ordered if not mistaken is the Mexican coffee. But the glass too small for me. When we just hit the “HIGH” feel, my coffee ran out. Order another one cannot finish. ~.~”

September 21st, 2008 at 8:02 pm
CK Lam

550ml jar of faith – Looks like both of us have the same liking for the 101 Dalmatian but must rinse the mouth after eating cos the teeth is covered with the black sesame…haha

September 21st, 2008 at 8:54 pm
Dragon

i only tried this kind of donut when i was in s’pore. i never bought it here in malaysia. they look so tempting but in my mind, i dont think donut can cost that much. hahaha. :)

September 21st, 2008 at 9:04 pm
CK Lam

Kaya MeeKoo – Haven’t try Krispy Kremes so I can’t really tell which one is better but for sure doughnuts and coffee goes hand in hand :)

Yewsuan – Nice of you dropping by my blog. It was lucky for you having to wait for a short time to get your donuts.

Email2me – Its too bad to hear of your food experience at this place…luckily the coffee is good. Hope the Penang outlet will be able to deliver tasty food.

September 21st, 2008 at 9:18 pm
Eleen Por

If you are a lady and pay MoMo @ Upper Penang Road a visit on wednesday nights (ladies get free entrance on every Wed nites), you will be given a glass of free cocktail in a boot-shaped glass exactly like the one that the Mexican Coffee @ Black Canyon Coffee was served in. I think they named the cocktail “Puss in Boots”.

Great news for donut lovers on Penang island. There will be a branch opening up at Gurney Plaza (GP) soon. When, dunno yet. What I do know is that Big Apple Donut will be one of the new outlets opening up at GP once the current renovation is completed.

I’ve never really been a fan of doughnuts mainly because I find most doughnuts TOO super duper sweet. However, I am hopelessly lost if presented with Krispy Kreme!

Gimme an original glazed Krisy Kreme and I am yours to do anything you want!!! *drooooool*

September 22nd, 2008 at 2:19 am
Duckie

i went there too but the que is just crazy!!! the que just to get the donus is from the shop till the entrance of jusco so we just couldn’t wait that long and left without any.

September 22nd, 2008 at 8:56 am
CK Lam

Eleen Por – Thanks for sharing all the info…can’t wait to see the BCC new outlet in GP and also hoping KK will open up in Penang too.

It would be a good idea to drop by Momo to enjoy oneself and also get rewarded with the unique glass :)

Duckie – Looks like everyone wants a bite of it. I think the crowd will be less once the other outlet opens in the island.

September 22nd, 2008 at 9:41 am
Allie

I Luv Big Apple donuts. But I heard that J Co donuts taste better and less sweet?

The boot alike glass is so creative!

September 22nd, 2008 at 10:46 am
Christy

Hahaha…the craze never stops:)
Finally Big Apple is here…but not on the island yet.
Oh yea…that bootie glass is so unique…haha, they should do that for xi mut lai cha ehhh…:D

September 22nd, 2008 at 11:39 am
buzzingbee

Yup finally northern ppl can satisfy their craving for donuts.
How do you find the donuts? J Co’s is a little softer in my opinion, but no vast difference. Hmm I didn’t try the sesame flavour..

Great to hear that they are opening in gurney. Hope more new outlets will open and we Penangites can have a jolly ‘makan’ experience.

September 22nd, 2008 at 6:24 pm
CK Lam

Dragon – It will surely cost more since it is in demand.

Allie – I find the texture of the Big Apple donuts more fluffy but both of them have the same sweetness.

Christy – Most readers seems to like the bootie glass…would be nice if they sell the glass together with the coffee drink :)

Buzzingbee – My choice will definitely be Big Apple donuts…waiting for the new GP outlet for my sesame donuts.

September 22nd, 2008 at 10:49 pm
JENCOOKS

Yes, Big APple has a lot of variety to offer and I once asked for the whole box of durian fillings in Malacca.
Sesame donuts will be a nice change. Yummy.

September 22nd, 2008 at 11:59 pm
CK Lam

Jencooks – Life is very simple without having to stand there and think what to choose. I kind of like the idea of a whole box with the same flavour.

September 23rd, 2008 at 12:07 am
giNnA

It looks so delicious and I want to have a try just that until now I have yet to have the chance to taste it…

September 27th, 2008 at 2:49 pm
Tulipgirl

my bro is getting married this year. He is planning to have a post-wedding buffet dinner/party with friends and colleagues, as the wedding dinner is for parents’ friends-mostly old folks. He is looking for a suitable venue in Penang to hold this buffet dinner/party where they can get a bit wild after meal. Any good restaurant to suggest? Looking for somewhere classy to do some wedding deco, and to cater for around 100-120 young guests.

February 11th, 2009 at 12:54 am

Ginna – I am sure you have tasted most of the flavours by now…

Tulipgirl – Do convey my wishes to your brother for this special occassion.
Do have a look at this lovely restaurant…it is very impressive & suitable for this function.

February 11th, 2009 at 9:25 am
Girly

The crazy queue in Aeon doesn’t seems to stop. Each time I went there will still see a very long queue. End up my husband and kids will pull me away from it. I still do not have chance to try any of it yet…..

May 4th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Girly – Looks like business is good for them. No worries Girly. Look at the bright side, I am sure you will get your hands on those donuts one day.

May 4th, 2009 at 9:40 pm
Steve

Being from the US I hve had many kinds of donuts.I have just tried Big Apple Donuts. No comparison at all to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts. On a scale of 1 to 10I would give it a 5.

September 7th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Steve – I have heard much of the donuts from Krispy Kreme which I love to try out one day.

September 8th, 2009 at 10:51 am