The Mid-Autumn Festival falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month of the Chinese calendar (usually around mid- or late-September in the ordinary calendar), a date that parallels the Autumn and Spring Equinoxes of the solar calendar. The traditional food of this festival is the moon cake.

On the very last day of this Mid-Autumn Festival, our whole family was invited by Dr. Alex and his wife for dinner at Dragon-i in Queensbay Mall. This restaurant is famous for their many varieties of Shanghainese noodle soups, dishes and appetizers. The restaurant has been notoriously known to be packed especially for dinner, but fortunately a reservation has already been made.

P1090817(1)

We were ushered into the beautifully crafted restaurant, which was overlooking the main atrium of Queensbay Mall. Comfortably seated on the almond shaped table, we were soon given menus for the evening. The supervisor recommended we had the banquet set meal, which was specially designed for the festival!

The banquet set meal came in two sizes; the feast for ten or its penultimate half. Since it was only five of us, it was fitting for us to have the latter that cost RM248++. The set meal had eleven different dishes, varying from outrageous combinations to classic dishes.

As like in almost all cuisine, the Appetizer Dishes were the first to be served. Cold cuts of white chicken marinated with a strong Chinese wine. Instant retribution! This was followed up with Jelly Fish with sesame oil… it is very nice and QQ.

P1090827(1)

P1090826(1)

P1090831(1)

The other appetizer is the Shanghainese Smoked Salmon with a slightly sweet sauce. Unfortunately, I find the fillet slightly hard and dry, lacking the tender fish texture.

P1090834(1)

P1090837(1)

The last appetizer is the Steamed Meat Dumpling (???) served steaming hot on a bed of Chinese cabbage. The hot juicy dumplings are best eaten dip in black vinegar with strips of ginger.

P1090847(1)

P1090850(1)

We were happily catching up with Dr Alex and his wife, while waiting for the Main Course to arrive. The appetizers successfully set our stomachs growling, and after a spot of photos, the first of the main course made its entry.

P1090818(1)P1090897(1)

It started off with the five of us treated to an individual jar of Double Boiled Lean Pork Soup with Conch Meat. This is indeed a clear and flavourful soup, no extra condiments were added. With the usage of lean meat, the soup was also clear of any oil nor fats, which went down very well with us.

P1090875(1)

One of the speciality dishes at Dragon-i is the Shanghainese Braised Pork Belly – the large piece of pork belly is braised in soy sauce, which gives the meat a brownish colour. The texture of the meat is soft and tender. It is served with warm butterfly shaped ‘mantou’.

P1090885(1)

P1090881(1)

Sauteed Prawns in Sichuan Sauce, slightly sweet and sour. Indeed an excellent dish to go with the next dish of Yong Chou Fried Rice.

P1090840(1)

P1090856(1)

P1090861(1)

P1090863(1)

Braised Mushroom with Mixed Vegetable served on a bed of Siew Pak Choy.

P1090842(1)

The meal is completed with the serving of dessert. We had an individual bowl of Bird’s Nest with Waterchestnut and Sea Coconut. This fairly sweet dessert is served cold.

P1090898(1)

A very fulfilling and hearty meal by our dear friend, Dr Alex Lim and his wife in this stylish and comfortable restaurant.

P1090822

P1090829(1)

P1090838(1)

P1090879(1)P1090889(1) P1090891(1)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 15th, 2008 at 10:28 pm and is filed under Bayan Lepas, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Shanghainese Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

JENCOOKS

CKLam, you must have programmed your choice of meal with J2kfm then..haha.

Indeed it looks like a very nice meal. The pork belly and the dainty butterfuly mantou and a piece of art..I must go for it soon

September 16th, 2008 at 12:00 am
Sweet Jasmine

We were offer this set meal last week but did not try it as we had been eating a banquet meal 2 days before so we opted for the noodles and side dishes of our choice…
Your pics looks really tempting…

I get 10% discount and no need reservation coz I’m a relative of one of the boss:)

September 16th, 2008 at 12:51 am
Little Inbox

This must be a satisfying dinner indeed!
I saw some other postings on this restaurant. Both positive & negative comments exist.
Previously when it started the business at Queensbay Mall, customers got to queue for their seat, but now a days I don't see any queue already.

September 16th, 2008 at 7:57 am
Allie

The smoked salmon looks more to fried than smoked to me. :-p

The Yong Chou Fried Rice and Sauteed Prawns are delicious. Yum Yum…

Oo.. Honey Glazed Smoked Duck Breast.. Must go try… hehe. I’ve tried this dish at a Chinese Restaurant at Auto City. I think the name is Sheleiton .. forgot how to spell :-p
This dish is superb. *Drool*

September 16th, 2008 at 9:29 am
CK Lam

Jencooks – The mantou is not only just beautifully done but the texture is soft and fluffy too.

Sweet Jasmine – Their noodles and side dishes are just as good…the fried radish cake is one of my favourite :)

Little Inbox – The quality of the food is still maintained the same standard as when it first started. To avoid having to queue up, do made a reservation first. Do try it out.

September 16th, 2008 at 9:38 am
CK Lam

Allie – The Smoked Duck is a must try dish…the sweetness of the lotus seed, plain beancurd sheet and the yummy duck meat combination is very unique.

Might try out the S restaurant in Auto city that you recommend. This restaurant previously has an outlet in Prima Tanjung on the island.

September 16th, 2008 at 10:10 am
Kaya MeeKoo

Wow, the braised pork belly and man tau look scrumptious! Never tried it before.

Seem to always gravitate towards their Xiu Long Bao.
I also like their deep fried yam dessert.

Thanks for the tip!

September 16th, 2008 at 12:26 pm
CK Lam

Kaya Meekoo – Order the braised pork belly for a change on your next visit. The gravy of this dish is so flavourful that you could finish eating up all the mantou with the gravy.

I will try out the yam dessert. Thanks!

September 16th, 2008 at 1:59 pm
buzzingbee

wow…banquet style! Even the appetizers were enough to make me feel hungry.
It’s always a great meal when we can have it with close friends…no matter where the setting is. :)

September 16th, 2008 at 3:32 pm
Eleen Por

I swear…no chinese restaurant on Penang island serves ??? as soft yet able to hold up a fair amount of tasty soup as well as this place! IMHO lah. :)

??? = Dragon-i !!!

I also love the fried rice in that place. Abit pricey but worth it lah. Definitely one of my fav Chinese restaurants in the Bayan Lepas area. :D

The braised pork belly looks good but unfortunately, my throat has been #1 enemy with all oily, fatty meat (pork belly, siu bak, etc). As delicious as they look, the smooth feeling of it sliding down my throat immediately provokes the gag-effect and out it comes again
:((( Hehe…sorry for the over-sharing but just trying to say that fatty meat just don’t go down well with me. Sigh.

September 16th, 2008 at 9:19 pm
CK Lam

Buzzingbee – Good food and good company goes hand in hand…that’s for sure.

Eleen Por – Not to worry about the fatty meat, you can try their other dishes that are not too oily.

There are plenty to choose from in the menu other than yours and my favourite ??? :)

September 16th, 2008 at 10:46 pm
Christy

Niceeee…..what a hearty meal:)
Those butterfly shaped mantous are so cute and delicate!
And I am eyeing your bird’s nest dessert;)

September 17th, 2008 at 9:38 am
vkeong

wow, the chicken in wine photo is very nice! But taste wise I find it like normal pak cham kai infuse with Chinese wine.. nothing special.

I dined here about a few months ago and found the food to be so so only.. also costing RM200++ it has since been on my blacklist. I don’t know if it’s only Queensbay’s Dragon-I quality has dropped. The other outlets in Klang Valley are still doing very well.

September 17th, 2008 at 4:07 pm
CK Lam

Christy – So nice to see you dropping by my blog. Love having you here.

That set menu definitely has everything, food with good taste, quality and good “looks”. Btw, the cold bird’s nest dessert is always something to look forward to when dining in Draagon-i…haha

VKeong – I still find this place whipping up better food than their competitors in Penang.

Prices might be a bit expensive but they still retain the quality.

Maybe you can give this outlet another try on your next visit back home in Penang.

September 17th, 2008 at 6:45 pm
PenangTuaPui

what shud I say… Huat Koay here…

you photo shooting skill had upgraded into next level.

Congratulation……

September 18th, 2008 at 10:11 am
CK Lam

Penangtuapui – Thanks, HKoay. There are so many features of the camera for me to learn and I am trying to make the best out of it… improving takes a bit of time…haha

September 18th, 2008 at 12:06 pm
squall

yum~~yum~~

September 18th, 2008 at 11:42 pm
Criz Lai

Wow… I have to agree with PTP, your skill has improved a lot. Very ngam the layout as well. :)

September 21st, 2008 at 5:27 pm
Dragon

wah, i am just about to post about dragon i also leh….. why so ngam one? hahahaha.

September 21st, 2008 at 9:02 pm
CK Lam

Squall – Definetly the best yummy dinner I had so far in dragon-i.

Criz Lai – Nice to receive comments from you and PTP…only from there will get more improvement done…thanks.

Dragon – waiting to see your post :)

September 21st, 2008 at 9:31 pm
Foong

We only went there once and didn’t really order much food but we sure did order the Siau Long Pau…damn good lar!
Wah…so many people posting about it, I think I no need to do a review of the place oledi…I’ll just stick to small unknown places..heheheh…

September 23rd, 2008 at 4:02 pm
CK Lam

Foong – I can see that most people will order their Siau Long Pau… its good and is a must have item.

It would be nice to see your review on this place too.

September 23rd, 2008 at 6:22 pm
Sammy

Whenever i visit Queensbay Mall, Dragon-i will be the place i chose to dine. Of course not all their dishes are delicious, but i would say >50% of them are worth trying. Many varieties to choose from.

January 16th, 2009 at 4:28 pm
Ch

Here are my reviews:
- Location: grade = 60/100, elevated and looking out to the bay, the view is good.
- Food: grade = 50/100, the food is so so compared to China Towns is NY or SF.
- Service: grade = 30/100. Staffs are unfriendly, have to wait about 45 minutes for my noodle!!! Perhaps too many customers already so they don’t care!

September 16th, 2009 at 9:59 pm
Ch

For such a restaurant and expensive food, not any napkin is provided! Have to pay 1 RM for a tiny napkin, and another 2 RM for some peanuts while waiting 45 minutes for my noodle. Besides that, 10% service fee and 5% tax for unfriendly staffs.

September 16th, 2009 at 10:04 pm
Rainbowunicorn

I juz went for a Chinese New Year lunch with my friends this afternoon, we ordered a Chinese New Year set that cost us RM 514(we only have 7 people), when we asked for some help in some food ordering, the waiter , waitress and captain , basically everyone working in the shop said they are busy !!! The waiter gave us the wrong dish and another waitress blame us for eating it after they serve that to us for 10 min, food presentation made us all lost our appetite, for the price we paid , this is extremely disappointing , I will not enter any Dragon I restaurant for the rest of my life anymore, and will ask all my friends and relatives to do so.. Thank for ruining my last CNY in Malaysia before me and my friends going to UK, i am very mad now because this lunch meant so much to us. Thanks for reading this.

February 20th, 2013 at 9:41 pm

1. Invited Review @Dragon-i Queensbay Mall, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 16 2008 / 11pm:

[...] as I still remembered not too long ago I was indulging myself with family and friends on their Mid-Autumn Festiva Banquet set meal which all of us truly [...]

2. Dragon-i | One Website - Many Voices - All Food    May 23 2012 / 11am:

[...] What2SeeOnline – “Honey Glazed Smoked Duck Breast is a dish with combination of a three different ingredients. The juicy smoked duck, deep fried bean curd sheet and braised sweet lotus seed wrapped up in a flat piece of pancake. Recommended to try out this dish.” (Queensbay Mall, Penang) [...]

3. Dragon-i Special Promo for What2See Readers | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Apr 26 2013 / 12pm:

[...] On a separate matter, click here for more of my review of this restaurant. [...]