Ghee Hiang has successfully spawned its third outlet and this time around, it is located in the bustling Burma Road. This shoplot is located directly opposite the Union Primary School. The huge signboard caught my attention while I was on my way back from a luncheon.

Check out the mischievous looking mascots of this famous biscuit company. It is really a pleasant sight, and my son finds it very cute as well.

P1090427P1090421

This company spans a history of approximately 150 years and bakes many varieties of traditional biscuits, like the famous Tau Sar Pneah (with sweetened mung bean paste), Beh Teh Saw, Hneoh Pneah, Phong Pneah and many more. They are also famed for their sesame oil, which is one of the finest quality around.

This new outlet, along with the other two existing outlets at Beach Street and Macalister Road respectively are well stocked up with their full range of products. As the mooncake festival dawns, I too joined in the festivities and indulged myself with a box of mooncake together with some biscuits.

The other two existing outlets :

Lebuh Pantai Outlet (opposite Bomba Station)
No 95, Lebuh Pantai
10300 Penang
Tel: 04 262 0635

Macalister Road Outlet (nearby the Proton Showroom)
216 Jalan Macalister
10400 Penang
Tel: 04 227 2222

Happy mooncake festival to all, and happy eating!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 1st, 2008 at 8:29 pm and is filed under George Town, Penang, Tau Sar Pneah, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Boon Chuan

Ghee Hiang product is always my favourite. Their tau sa piah and sesame oil is good. I don’t know that they produce moon cake until I saw it in your blog.

September 1st, 2008 at 9:01 pm
Little Inbox

Eh, how coincident??!! I just realize about this new outlet opposite the SRJKC Union yesterday. I took the same photo as yours when I drop by to buy a box of Mini Tau Sar Pneah.

September 1st, 2008 at 9:11 pm
Steven Goh

wah ghee hiang some more got tshirt and paper bag. I think next time they will come out with key chain and also coffee powder…. may be :)

September 1st, 2008 at 9:59 pm
CK Lam

Boon Chuan – I have bought most of their products but this is the first time I am buying their mooncake.

Little Inbox – looks like both of us will be busy eating the yummy biscuits lor :)

Steven Goh – I think you may be right, they are diversifying their product.

September 1st, 2008 at 10:40 pm
Tau Sar Phneah

what can i say…i know im well like among the penangites…lolx..

ghee hiang has really gone beyond in marketing trying to capture the younger market by improving in their packaging..great work!!!

btw, this new shop is located few shops away frm him heang, so i guessed there’s gonna be some ‘cat fight’ haha..

September 2nd, 2008 at 12:05 am
CK Lam

Tau Sar Phneah – Healthy competition is good and benefit the customers … the convenience of buying two different brand of biscuits on the same road :)

September 2nd, 2008 at 9:21 am
New Kid on the Blog

dont know why I prefer Him Heang, Ghee Heang is a bit dry for my liking. :)

September 2nd, 2008 at 9:07 pm
buzzingbee

Cute mascot looking out the window!! Haha
Yup some competition is good for consumers. But I also prefer Him Heang more!
Is the mooncake nice? What’s the price range?

September 2nd, 2008 at 9:37 pm
PenangTuaPui

to me… I have no preference between both outlet… either Him HEang or Ghee Heang…

but visitor and relative insisted these 2 outlets when come to Penang.. :P

Tam Ciak and Fei Fei got preference to Him Heang…

September 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 pm
CK Lam

New Kid on the Blog – I do frequent GHeang and also HHeang… for each of their different products.

Buzzingbee – The single eggyolk is around RM11.50 each and this is my first time buying from them … still have not tasted it yet as I am still eating those from another outlet.

PenangTuaPui – Looks like everyone of us have our own taste and preference. Lucky for us, both shops are located nearby…very convenient lor.

September 3rd, 2008 at 12:03 am
Foong

I don’t like Ghee Hiang biscuits anymore…I have stopped buying their pastry for years already. Too dry, too little ‘liau’ inside and not as good as it used to be anymore.
I now go for the little known Soon Hiang where the pastry are home made style. I recommended the place in my blog awhile ago.

September 3rd, 2008 at 12:57 am
soo sean

Not sure about mooncake. For tau sai piah, I always buy from Him Heang.

September 3rd, 2008 at 10:15 am
Duckie

i like the mooncakes. too bad the box is rather flimsy

September 3rd, 2008 at 10:41 am
KL Lang..

I am from KL and have recently acquired the ‘Ghee Hiang’ biscuits taste bud. I was looking forward for branches or other shops selling their biscuits in KL. I was quite excited when i saw in the home page ‘ location in KL ‘. but was so disappointed when I read the next link ‘opening soon’. I gathered from some other blogs that the ‘opening soon in KL’ was there since 2005!

September 3rd, 2008 at 1:48 pm
CK Lam

Foong – Would be nice to try out something new…thanks for introducing.

Soo Sean – Since most of the mooncake sold in Pg is mostly the same as last year, I decided to try out theirs this year.

Duckie – Nowadays the boxes are relatively flimsy…probably due to the high cost.
We see nicer ones a few years back especially those in a metal box. Are you a collector of this boxes?

September 3rd, 2008 at 1:49 pm
CK Lam

kl lang – It would be nice if there is an outlet in KL cos it is a big market there.

Hope the person in charge would take note of your suggestion. You won’t know, you might see one mushrooming in KL soon.

September 4th, 2008 at 11:13 am
Rasa Malaysia

I saw this new outlet when I was home last week. I love the mascot, so cute. I love it that it’s so close to its competitor Him Heang too. ;)

September 9th, 2008 at 6:35 pm
Penang Tionghua

Try Hock Lok Siew at Noordin Street. It is located obliquely opposite the Wembley Park.

HH may not beat it. GH is out of my preference now coz skin thicker and harder than HH.

The price is competitive, taste great!

September 9th, 2008 at 10:00 pm
CK Lam

Rasa Malaysia – Its always good to have competition…in a way, we get to buy different products from both of them easily too.

Penang Tionghua – That’s a nice recommendation. I like a few of their products…the koong jai biscuit is good.

September 9th, 2008 at 11:12 pm
Anonymous

ghee hiang’s ‘beh teh sor’ is my favorite, the filling inside is sticky n flavorful, and of cos the tau sar pheah ‘mo tak teng’….ghee hiang, u got my vote!!!

September 28th, 2008 at 6:48 pm
Dong Dong

Hi, may I know how long I can actually keep this biscuits before it goes expired? Thanks.

December 19th, 2010 at 1:15 am
jess

do u have any branch at KL i want buy tau sar peah cause i only want buy one box only so u have any idea can buy from u

August 8th, 2011 at 9:33 pm
lukat

i would like to find pia like him heang in kuala lumpur. tq

February 4th, 2013 at 11:26 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Tau Sar Pneah, Ang Koo Kuih and more at Eaton! | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 03 2010 / 5pm:

[...] of Tau Sar Pneah in Penang. The outlets that many outstation visitors would normally visit would be Ghee Hiang and Him Heang. However, there are also some less known brands; among them is Eaton Kuih Centre in [...]