Our family has always been a fan of Korean Food, especially the barbeque cuisines. Complemented with the kimchi, the dishes is definitely a nice change from the Chinese dishes we are accustomed to on the normal days.

Since it was a public holiday on the Merdeka Day, we decided to cross over to the mainland to visit the newly opened Jusco Bandar Perda in Bukit Mertajam, Penang on our food hunt. This time around, we decided to visit Che Go Korean BBQ Restaurant.  Getting there was the easy part but the jam upon entering the complex was deafening. After finding a car park and with growling tummies, we quickly find our way to the restaurant.

P1090222

Most of the eateries were packed, and a line of customers were waiting for tables. We finally got ours at a nice little corner after waiting for twenty minutes. The staffs were way too busy to recommend their specialities, so we just flicked upon the rather large-size menu and took our pick ourselves.

P1090238P1090249P1090244P1090240

There are a few sets of bbq  that customers can take advantage of ranging from RM78 to RM168.  A set is inclusive of a few dishes and is much cheaper compare to ordering the dishes individually.  We had the spare ribs bbq set which are provided with six plates of appetizers which is refillable – kimchi, cucumber, long beans, kacang botol, brinjal and bayam leaves plus the rest of the dishes.

3P1090302P1090261

The dishes that this spare rib bbq set comprises looked simply delicious and the real deal didn’t disappoint.

P1090287

Over at this restaurant and similarly in many Korean joints, the food is cook on a metal plate over a gas cooker located at the center of the table by the waiter. We had the pleasure to sit back and watch the food being cooked and at the same time enjoying ourselves eating the tastefully cooked marinated beef.

P1090296P1090252P1090289 P1090301P1090312

The is the fried Korean Seafood Pancake. A really simple dish of egg with vegetables and seafood but the combination turns out to be delicious.

P1090263

Another dish was the Hot Pot Chicken with Bipim Bab (a version of claypot rice). Our family found the taste of this dish rather bland. Then came the Korean Chicken Ginseng Soup. The chicken was stuffed with glutinous rice, Chinese chestnut and boiled with ginseng strands and red dates. The taste was very herbalist and some might not be accustomed to these strong ginseng smell.

P1090265P1090322

Special Korean Rice Cake. The rice cake which is a bit chewy is stir fried in a slightly spicy and sweet chili sauce with large prawns together with  pieces of squid and fish cake. This dish is unusual and it was our favourite.

P1090315

Finally, the Seaweed Soup with Dumpling. Nothing much to shout about for this dish, just a few dumplings in a simple Miso Soup (do Koreans have Miso Soup anyway?). The dumplings were quite thick-skinned, literally. Just a nice compliment for the meal as we already had the Ginseng Chicken soup.

This bbq set does not include complimentary fruits and desserts as compare to other outlets that we had patronized previously.

On the bright side, the cold green tea that we had with this delicious and fuss-free dinner is refillable at RM2 per glass. We found most of the dishes sufficient in taste and hence not too much additional sauces is required.

P10903122P1090273P1090335

A very satisfied mom with an even satisfied son. :D

P1090350

My hubby still prefer the Korea Palace BBQ Restaurant in Tanjong Tokong because the appetizers are marinated much tastier and they uses charcoal instead of gas. He favour charcoal as it really enhances the taste of the meat as compared to gas which is more likened to pan-fry style.

More related post on Korean BBQ :
Korea Palace BBQ Restaurant
Kim Chi Korean Restaurant

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 7th, 2008 at 6:38 pm and is filed under BBQ, International, Korean Cuisine, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

J2Kfm

Che Go, only in Pg? read bout this place elsewhere. Not bad, the set looks yummy, with sufficient servings for all.

strange finding the rice cakes with prawns! but a nice addition nonetheless.

September 7th, 2008 at 9:27 pm
JENCOOKS

It’s K-wave on Korean food now for floggers. Not bad the bbq meat, seems delicious,

September 7th, 2008 at 9:56 pm
CK Lam

J2kfm – This is my first rice cake and I am not too sure if it is suppose to come with prawns or not…but its very tasty.

The serving is quite large and would be nice sharing it with more friends.

Jencooks – Looks like K-fever is hitting Penang lately…with so many outlets mushrooming, but sure its a good thing for us…more tasty food to eat :)

September 8th, 2008 at 9:39 am
PenangTuaPui

something I like about the Seberang Prai City is all the food outlet is concentrate at one area and it is easier for us to hunt for food…. can jump from one after another one.

But i would recommend to go at weekday.. weekend is way tooo pack for us… U know la..we are tuapui ma.. :P

ABout this restaurant, I am about to dine in the outlet, but it was too long queue at that time.. so i have to go to the opposite one.. Food and Tea…not bad too…

lots more outlet to go… yum yum

September 8th, 2008 at 10:32 am
Dragon

i am planning to go to the bandar perda jusco one dya during my off day, which will be weekday and not weekends. like penang tua pui mentioned, weekend will pack with many people and i don’t really like crowded place. :)

i seldom go for korean food. the food u have look nice and delicious. will try and see in the future.

September 8th, 2008 at 12:52 pm
CK Lam

PENANGTUAPUI & DRAGON – I went on the weekend as that is the day off for my hubby… so we have to bear with the 'human traffic' but in return we get yummylicious food… ok lar.

Do try out this korean bbq…quite big servings :) There are many more food outlets that I would like to try out.

September 8th, 2008 at 1:35 pm
Penang's Baby Shop

how much did you spend here ya? last time i went to the Sheraton Hotel (now Dorsett Hotel) .. i spent a bomb and it wasnt very “filling”

September 8th, 2008 at 2:34 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Dear Ms. Lam,

I stumbled upon your blog by accident.

Thank you for all the delectable pictures. Everything looks so yummy.

Keep up the fabulous posts and pictures!

From a fellow foodie :-)

September 8th, 2008 at 5:54 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Dear Ms. Lam,

I stumbled upon your blog by accident.

Thank you for all the delectable pictures. Everything looks so yummy.

Keep up the fabulous posts and pictures!

From a fellow foodie :-)

September 8th, 2008 at 5:55 pm
CK Lam

Penang’s Baby Shop – You definitely have to pay more especially when you are dining in a hotel.

The spare ribs set that I had cost RM168 exclusive of drinks and service charge…and can easily feed four person. Do give this place a try.

September 8th, 2008 at 6:26 pm
Little Inbox

Wah, food hunting till to Bandar Perda? I went there once a while, but don’t really know which restaurant worth a try.

September 8th, 2008 at 9:47 pm
U.Lee

Hi CK Lam, you in Penang? I love Penang…your beautiful pics here sure look delicious, can get the aroma from here.

Old days I just enjoyed working, staying in Penang…for the fabulous food and ahemmm, the gentle charms of Penang women, minus their war paint of course..that 'bedak sejuk' quite often see on women's faces.

When I read, see or hear of Penang, beautiful memories come back to me, and infact only last week I posted about Penang, re..ahem, ex-girlfriends, "My past caught up to me".

I love the E&O hotel, Gurney Drive…Batu Ferringhi and especially driving around Penang Island around midnight on a moonlight night….

There are two things about Penang, memories that will not go rusty….Penang on a moonlight night, and New Year's eve on board a Penang ferry when ships blast their horns, as well seeing fireworks in the distance….and of course, a lovely Penang lady by my side….I just love Penang.
You have a great week, and keep well, Lee.

Ps, Good looking hubby you have and he sure has an attractive wife. A lovely Penang lady.

September 8th, 2008 at 11:02 pm
CK Lam

Kaya MeeKoo – I am glad to know you and happy to share all the yummy food with a fellow foodie like you. Hope you will share your nice food outlets with me too.

Little Inbox – It was my first time over there and since my family loves Korean food, we decided to give this place a try.
The bbq was good but I have yet to try their other dishes.

Btw, I accidentally remove your other comment that you have posted twice :)

September 8th, 2008 at 11:04 pm
CK Lam

U.Lee – With good imagination, I am sure you can get the aroma of the bbq and the rest of the dishes too..haha.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, U Lee…but anyway thanks for your compliment. Most important, the person must be caring and kind hearted and my hubby is indeed a good man.

September 8th, 2008 at 11:29 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Sure, thank you. I will email you separately later this evening on some yummy food recommendations. Or at least yummy to me :-) .

September 9th, 2008 at 12:08 pm
cariso

Price wise??

September 9th, 2008 at 6:31 pm
Rasa Malaysia

Hi CK,

There seems to be an influx of Korean restaurants in Penang recently…I never try any of them though because everytime I go home, I only eat hawker food, when I eat out, I usually eat at Choo Char places. If I eat at restaurants, then I go to visit my sponsor Shanghai Ding because they always make some very good stuff for me. :)

September 9th, 2008 at 6:32 pm
CK Lam

Cariso – I took the spare ribs set that cost RM168 exclusive of drinks and service charge. The portion of the food can easily feed four person.

Rasa Malaysia – Really envy you having a sponsor for your blog and getting to savour delicious food.

September 9th, 2008 at 11:01 pm
Shell (??)

Che Go~~i think got branch at kl as well..

i like korean style clypot rice & ginseng soup

September 10th, 2008 at 9:34 am
CK Lam

Shell – I am not sure about the kl outlet but the taste of the food over here is delicious…the smell and taste of the Ginseng soup is quite strong.

September 10th, 2008 at 9:56 am
Dragon

hi ck, by the way, i am the owner for yummy station as well. hahaha :)

September 10th, 2008 at 1:07 pm
550ml jar of faith

I love the Korean spicy rice cake dish.. and this one has the added bonus of very scrumptious-looking prawns! I don’t know about driving all the way to BM for this though – like to stay on the island when I’m back for a break!

BTW, I won’t be able to make it to your Edelweiss floggers’ meet :-( Just confirmed today… since going back for Raya, too close to the 27th weekend. Next time lah.

September 10th, 2008 at 1:45 pm
PenangTuaPui

ck.. don’t need to jealous about sponsor one… hee hee…

with your hard work so far, there will be a pay day soon…

or you wan some voucher? We had some… can go and grab it anytime*.

*term and conditions apply.. :P

September 10th, 2008 at 2:07 pm
vkeong

So fast you already went and try haha.

I would love to try but I’ve always had bad experiences with Korean food. Seoul Garden and even a simple packet of Korean instant noodles can give me food poisoning lol.

The food looks great btw, what a feast!

September 11th, 2008 at 10:34 am
CK Lam

Dragon – Nice for informing me…I have added your blog to my links.

550ml jar of faith – Do appreciate your reply…It would really be nice if we could meet up in the future gathering.

September 11th, 2008 at 1:58 pm
CK Lam

Vkeong – I went there with my family after seeing your introduction on all the nice food outlets in your post. There are a few more outlets that I am going to try out soon.

Korean food is very tasty. You could give it another try after a period of time…maybe by then, your body will be able to accept it.

September 11th, 2008 at 2:20 pm
lingzie

ck, i also went with my family during merdeka! how come we didnt bump into each other? lol
will be doing a post about them too.
i didnt really like the pancake though.

September 11th, 2008 at 3:50 pm
CK Lam

Lingzie – what a timing, we were there but didn’t manage to see each other.

There are a few more items in the menu that I would like to try out too.

September 11th, 2008 at 8:08 pm
Anonymous

CK,I’m the ur frequent reader of ur blog, thanks for ur effort to share so much of delicious food in penang. I’m also a Korean food lover, I have tried the food of Korean palace that u recommended, but I found the korean food of gurney sunrise seoul garden is more delicious and the price is more reasonable. If u have chance, pls try. I’m sorry if u r not happy about my comments.

September 26th, 2008 at 3:23 pm
CK Lam

Anonymous – I am happy to see your comment in my blog. In fact,I went to Seoul Garden in Sunrise building last week but unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to get a parking space on that night…after that I went to another restaurant.

Will share my review after visiting it. Thanks for dropping by :)

September 26th, 2008 at 3:34 pm
Suki

CK, this korean food so so only. So, I think that u should go to autocity at Juru to try another two korean food. one at autoworld call ta zhang jin, one at autocity phase 3 near by the sakea tepanyaki..both very nice to eat..

October 1st, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Suki – Thanks for recommending the two new ones to me.

October 31st, 2008 at 11:33 am
Sammy

I’m a big fan of Korean and Japanese cuisine. The best BBQ restaurant for me is KNK Yakiniku located on the second floor of a row of shop houses next to Island Plaza. Below KNK is a tepanyaki restaurant. Don’t miss it!

January 16th, 2009 at 4:51 pm
Sammy

My favorite Korean Restaurant is Han Kok Kun which located inside the Ferringhi Beach Hotel. After the hotel changed its name to Metro Majestic Hotel, i never been there. Is this restaurant still there?

January 16th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Sammy – Will try out KNK…thanks for recommending it to me.
Not too sure of the restraurant in Hydro Majestic Hotel.

January 19th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

1. Korean Food Che Go Korean BBQ Restaurant Penang What2See | Indoor Grills    Jun 03 2009 / 2pm:

[...] Korean Food Che Go Korean BBQ Restaurant Penang What2See Posted by root 19 minutes ago (http://www.what2seeonline.com) My hubby still prefer the korea palace bbq restaurant in tanjong tokong because the anonymous i am happy to see your comment in my blog copyright 2008 what2see best of penang food is proudly powered by wordpress Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Korean Food Che Go Korean BBQ Restaurant Penang What2See [...]

2. » Penang Korean Restaurant List Penang Deli    Oct 06 2009 / 12am: