Tucked away in the tourist belt of Batu Ferringhi, Penang stands Mario Ristorante. It is known for its Italian cuisine with a wine list to suit many palates and dining comfort. Although it has been established a number of years, not many Penangites have yet to discover this lovely place.

Located on the same row as Bella Italia and The Eclectic while standing directly opposite Rasa Sayang Hotel, Mario’s naturally draws in the tourists crowd.

P1090709-1

P1090713-1

This was our first visit to Mario’s and we had Michael joining us for the dinner. There are indoor and sidewalk sittings. We sat indoor as the weather was a bit warm. The interior design is extremely cozy with warm colors, giving this place a very Italian-nish flair.

P1090685

P1090686

P1090689-1 P1090676

A glance at the menu shows the usual array of pasta and pizzas. We picked our orders and in no time our very first dish arrived. The Bruschetta – topped with a mixture of chopped tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic and sprinkle with black pepper. An order comes in two pieces and we had a twin order to share among us.

P1090611

This restaurant has an open kitchen that gives us the opportunity to watch the food being made and cooked in the woodfire brick oven.

P1090606P1090604P1090607P1090609

Appetizer made up of the Veggie Wonder. It is an array of sauteed mushrooms, green and red pepper chili, eggplant, carrots and zucchini. Topped with olive oil and cubes of fetta cheese, it tasted superb with a zest of lemon.

P1090629

For starters, we had the Clam Chowder soup served in a homemade sour dough bread bowl. This creamy soup comes with the right thickness. The bread bowl can even be eaten too! There are not many places where you can have a dig of the bowl after you are done with the soup. This soup is a must try!

P1090624

On the menu was the sizzling Fajitas with a choice of beef or chicken. We opt for the succulent beef which is marinated and cooked in their own special sauce with strips of green and red pepper and onions. It is serve sizzling hot. The order came with three pieces of warmed fresh tortillas.

P1090651

We had an additional order for the tortilla. This freshly made tortillas are much different in texture and taste from those available in other franchise restaurant. Beef pieces and tomatoes are laid on the tortilla spread with the sour cream and guacamole. Shredded cheese are sprinkled on top before it is roll up. This is indeed a very flavorful dish.

P1090643

collage

Nice snippets of the surroundings…

P1090683-1P1090702 P1090699P1090596

Hubby stood beside the open kitchen and watched the chef prepare the pizzas. There are many varieties of hand tossed pizzas to choose from and we had the classic Margherita. It is soft on the inside and slightly crunchy on the sides. Simply delightful!

P1090717-1

P1090644

P1090652

After the meal, we lingered on over a cup of hot tea from Twinning’s. We had the Darjeeling tea and the Camomile Tea – pure flowers of Camomile Herbal Infusion, both with delicate flavours.

P1090694P1090692

We really enjoyed the delicious dinner and will definitely be visiting again. This is one place that I would recommend to you if you are looking for a nice place to unwind with great Italian food. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

P1100195

Address : Mario Ristorante
152B, Batu Ferringhi
Penang

Tel : 04 8813775

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, September 26th, 2008 at 11:41 pm and is filed under International, Italian Cuisine, Mexican Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Tanjung Bungah, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Tau Sar Phneah

you are really making me drooling over all the mouth-watering food…im in the mid-way of preparing my ‘have to eat’ list already..few more months then im back!!!! :)

September 27th, 2008 at 12:20 am
Kaya MeeKoo

Gosh, the Bruschetta looks absolutely gorgeous. And the clam chowder in a bowl you can eat – hee hee, how cute is that! :-)

September 27th, 2008 at 12:32 am
CK Lam

Tau Sar Phneah – Your makan list must be very long by now. Hopefully I am invited along…haha

Kaya Meekoo – The soup and the sour dough bread bowl is very filling…its better to share it out.

September 27th, 2008 at 12:45 am
550ml jar of faith

I’ve heard raves about this place but don’t think I’ve actually seen it reviewed, so good to get a flogger’s perspective! The food’s not stricttly Italian though huh? I mean I don’t remember when was the last time I saw fajitas in an Italian joint :-P

September 27th, 2008 at 7:35 am
CK Lam

550ml jar of faith – Most restaurants now go for the mix and match. Its good in a way…we get to savour many types, plus the food I had on the night was pretty tasty.

September 27th, 2008 at 9:25 am
Criz Lai

Bingo! Finally I can have my woodfire “chapati” thin pizza again. I have been search all over for this type of place and you have just saved my day. Pizza! Here I come!!

September 27th, 2008 at 12:14 pm
Food Paradise

wow….. i will definitely go and check out this place soon. As we missed Italian foods from Melb. lol And the clam chowder is interesting.

September 27th, 2008 at 8:12 pm
JENCOOKS

Seems like a very nice evening with the bruschetta and I certainly like the sour dough bread with the clam chowder
..mama mia

September 27th, 2008 at 9:42 pm
Little Inbox

I really love Italian pizza…stomach is complaining now…Can I have pizza for supper? :P

September 27th, 2008 at 10:40 pm
CK Lam

Criz Lai – Care to take me along…haha

Food Paradise – I too missed those Italian food from Melb … especially those from Papa Gino but this outlet does serve some great and tasty food too.

Jencooks – The soup in the sour dough bread is a seller, a must try.

Little Inbox – Sure, maybe we can meet up and have pizza one fine day.

September 28th, 2008 at 9:22 am
Stickerlabels

Oooi new place to try. Will be going there soon.
Thanks for organising last night’s event. It was great meeting up with the rest of the floggers. :)
Thanks for the cookies. :)

Ying
(Andrew’s wifey from penangfoodgalore.blogspot.com)

September 28th, 2008 at 10:10 am
allenooi

The Clam Chowder soup looks yummy. I think if you finished the whole thing, your stomach will be full.

The pizza looks nice too.

Finally, meet you in person last night. Very happy to meet you and thanks for the cookies. Hope to meet again soon in the future. :)

September 28th, 2008 at 10:19 am
CK Lam

Stickerlabels – I am happy to meet you but unfortunately didn’t get to chit chat much. Would be nice if we can get together for a meal.

Allenooi – We shared the Clam Chowder among ourselves as there were plenty of other yummy food.

Its great seeing you and hope to catch up with you again.

September 28th, 2008 at 10:40 am
Christy

I’ve passed by this place everytime I am up in Batu Ferringhi and didn’t try…but then again, it’s like a whole stretch of restaurants along the way, ain’t it?:D

Nice environment; thanks for sharing…it’d be a great choice for Italian food:)

P.S.: Somehow the Italian food here so much better than the original:p
*I wonder*

September 28th, 2008 at 11:02 am
J2Kfm

lip-smacking stuff.
the veggie wonder, and the fajitas look like killers.
I’ve only tried fajitas with meat at TGIF and Chili’s. =P

September 28th, 2008 at 10:20 pm
pixen

CK..thank you so much for all the infos and the ‘risks’ you took to give us all these eateries,etc.

I have an award for you in my blog. Thank you so much for your effort and time. Also to your lovely family. 2 thumbs up from me always…

September 29th, 2008 at 7:10 am
CK Lam

J2kfm – Good to see you back from your holidays…maybe you can plan a trip down to Penang too…to enjoy the yummy hawker food and the veggie wonder as well as the fajitas which are real tasty.

Pixen – Thank you for the award and your support for What2See. I will put the award up in my blog soon :):)

September 29th, 2008 at 2:09 pm
Allie

I heard from a friend that the food is quite expensive in this restaurant?
Any comment on this?

Yummy… the pizza looks so cheesy..

September 29th, 2008 at 5:06 pm
QuaChee

wow, love the tortilla! looks good :)

September 30th, 2008 at 2:50 am
CK Lam

Christy – There are plenty of restaurants and cafes on this stretch of shops. Mario’s is a nice outlet for entertaining friends…environment away from town.

Drive up there for a relaxing weekend on your next trip back to Penang.

September 30th, 2008 at 10:38 am
CK Lam

Allie – Prices are slightly above average…the Margherita is @RM28. Pamper yourself once in a while in this nice place with your love ones.

Quachee – Its nice to see you in my blog. You have a very catchy name, quachee… is a snack that most people love to eat :)

September 30th, 2008 at 10:46 am
Peter

Great to see Mario’s get a mentin. When I visit Penang, this is a great place for breakfast also. Real bacon (and eggs)! Regards, Aussie Pete

October 3rd, 2008 at 9:07 pm
CK Lam

Peter – Mario’s is indeed a great place for dining, also suitable for celebrating any occassions.

Glad that you had a happy dining experience there…and thanks for dropping by my blog.

October 4th, 2008 at 11:45 am
jamie

hey, is this place pricey? is the price like bella’s?

October 17th, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Jamie – Prices varies from twenty something to thirty something and there are others that are slightly pricier.

October 17th, 2008 at 8:46 pm
jamie

ouch! kinda stiff for a student like me…neway thanks for the info..shall save up…sloooooooooooooooooooowly :)

October 18th, 2008 at 1:17 am

overall, italian fare shown here look good with only one question. Fajitas served in Italian resto? Isn’t it Mexican food? ah..I suppose so long the fajitas did well. Sometimes, I really hope Italian food could be more authentic in M’sia..

February 16th, 2009 at 11:53 am
DARWIN

Hello,
How are you today?

I am Dr. Darwin, I want to book dinner for my group of workers of Newage constructions Offshores united Kingdom .
They will all come for dinner in your property as From 15th 16th 17th 18th and 19th january 2010 by 4:30pm each day.

They are 15 in number.Get back with your response if there is availability in your Property for 5 days dinner

Ofcourse i know you have credit card machine, “for payment”

Kind Regards,