Went down to Ipoh last Sunday. This time around we had hawker food – the Ipoh famous curry mee at Xin Quan Fang coffee shop which is along Hugh Low Street, near to the central police station. This stall’s curry mee is totally different from those sold in Penang.

You have to wait for your turn to have your orders taken as they will come around to take it. After having our orders taken, we waited for half an hour before the food was serve.

P1080443

P1080447

We order three bowls of plain curry mee and a side dish consisting roast pork, stew meat, white chicken, prawns, pig skin( chu pei) and chicken innards. A bowl of curry mee cost RM3.50 and RM10 for the side dish. Each of us were given a bowl of their ‘special’ sambal sauce which is use to dip the meat with. My hubby found that the yellow mee itself is more springy and finer as those in Penang.

P1080436P1080441

P1080457P1080462

The curry soup itself has more spices added and very much less coconut milk (santan). This gives it a very fragrant aroma, and indeed much more tasteful. You can taste the strong curry herbs used, instead of the coconut soup style in Penang which I despise.

P1080466

P1080445

Xin Quan Fang
174 Jalan Sultan Iskandar Shah
30300 Ipoh

Tel : 016 5314193

Business Hour : 7.30 am – 12.30pm

P1080471

From Xin Quan Fang coffee shop (photo above), we proceed to Funny Mountain to grab some soya bean and tau fu fah. The cold soya bean was indeed creamy and refreshing. We even bought one of the ready packed bottle of soya bean to drink along the way back. This soya bean shop is located diagonally from Restaurant Foh San.

P1080479

Funny Mountain Soya Bean
Jalan Tahwil Azar (Osbourne Street)
30300 Ipoh

Final pit stop was the sought after kaya puff from Sin Eng Heong which is just around the corner of Funny Mountain. We did not know we have to book before hand and luckily the lady was kind enough to allocate us two boxes. Book your orders before hand at 05- 2439659.

P1080473

P1080672

The kaya filling is indeed very flavorful and tasty, the layered pastry still remains flaky and puffy even after the two hours journey back home to Penang.

Indeed it was a fantastic afternoon for me and my family. Ipoh is really packed with wonderful eateries, and I’ll definitely be dropping by again for another round of culinary delights.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, October 10th, 2008 at 12:31 am and is filed under Curry Mee, Dessert, Drinks, Hawker, Ipoh, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

if im nt mistaken, i think ipoh is well known for its kaya ‘kok’…

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Lebuh Macallum ”Kew Ong Tai Tay” Celebration ??????????????

October 10th, 2008 at 5:08 am

hi CK.. congratulation for the first posting under this new house on food…

Finally u are mastering this. Keep it up.

I love the tau fu fah at the funny mountain… really nice, some more can have it inside the car… dun need to go out…really nice…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant: FuHo Restaurant – Batu Maung

October 10th, 2008 at 7:43 am

I love super oily and super hot Curry mee.
We dropped by Ipoh for dim sum when we were on our way to Ikea during the Raya.

little inbox´s last blog post..Pan-Fried Yam Cake

October 10th, 2008 at 8:48 am
SimpleGirl

Hi CK, I am from Ipoh. Totally agreed with your recommendation. Yes, the 3 higlights in Ipoh are famous. In fact in the kaya puff shop, there are some other biscuits which made by them also are nice, yummy!! Good job CK!

October 10th, 2008 at 8:49 am

I’m so proud of the kaya puffs. =P
been having them before they appeared on TV, papers, and the shift to the new shop here today. VERY addictive right? only 60 cents some more.
and the curry mee’s sambal+lard oil is a killer!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..WARNING !!! Non-Halal at Its Best? – Char Siew, Siew Yoke and Pig’s Innards Porridge @ Bercham, Ipoh

October 10th, 2008 at 9:15 am

CK, You’ve expand your territory to Ipoh. Good job! Hehe…

Didn’t know there this shop selling kaya puff near the Funny Mountain. Must go buy if I go Ipoh as I like kaya puff. Hehe

allie´s last blog post..Havenly Allie is breathing again…

October 10th, 2008 at 9:16 am

the roast pork looks nice but I know that after eat the whole plate I will have to run 10 more rounds to gain fit back

Steven Goh´s last blog post..Nine Emperor Gods Festival Parade @ Lebuh Carnavan

October 10th, 2008 at 9:39 am

Tau Sar Phneah – I find their kaya kok taste better, especially with the layered pastry. Not easy to find in Penang.

Penangtuapui – Thanks…I am learning and correcting my mistakes as I go along. I felt a bit relieved when this first post was published.

Its kind of nice seeing the cars lining up waiting patiently for the soya drinks which is yet to be seen in Penang.

Little-in-box – I would recommend this stall to all curry mee lovers.

October 10th, 2008 at 9:49 am

Simple Girl – Nice of you dropping by my blog. I am happy knowing you and hope you could share with me the other yummy biscuits made by them too!

J2kfm – All of us finish eating the two boxes in no time…craving for more…haha. Would be nice to meet up with you on my next makan trip…curry mee is on me, ok?

Allie – Remember to give them a call to book those yummy puffs. Btw…nice to know that your blog problems are solved.

October 10th, 2008 at 9:59 am

eh,you didn’t try the opposite stall of Hakka Mee??

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Breeks Café

October 10th, 2008 at 10:43 am
Kaya MeeKoo

Aiyah CK, why didn’t you bring me along :-D

I am SO craving for Kaya Puffs right now! Everything in this post looks so yummy.

Have your tried Ipoh’s chargrilled biscuits Hiong Piah (beh teh saw), YEE HUP brand?
The freshly baked ones are really good and crispy.

October 10th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Hey! I’ve been to that cookie shop before! Be careful when you’re there though, esp if you are taking photos.. my tour guide told me there are a lot of snatch thieves in that area due to many outstation visitors..

October 10th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I agree with Kaya Mee Koo …. The best Heong Peng in Ipoh is Yee Hup brand in Gunung Rapat which it is charcoal roasted. When you take it hot, you can still feel the hot caramel in your mouth.

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Village Chicken

October 10th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

New Kid on the Blog – Not able to eat so many food on this trip…will try it out next…thanks.

Kaya Mee Koo – Didn’t know you like the puff so much, or else I could tah pau some for you. YEE HUP Hiong Piah will be my next stop in Ipoh…

Vkeong – Gong Gong Lai…luckily nothing happen on my visit to the cookie shop…thanks for your warning. Will hold my handbag real tight.

Email2me – I love to try those yummy Heong Peng…but have to wait for the next trip lor.

October 11th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I tried that kaya puff before. I also went to have the soya bean and tau hua just after we had the dim sum in fu san.

October 13th, 2008 at 3:04 am
Joan

The taufufa reminds me of my school days (more than 30 years ago). I used to tapau the taufufa (real hot) for myself and my sister on my way back from school. I still visit the store whenever I go back to Ipoh.

October 13th, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Allenooi – It is very convenient for the customers as all the three outlets are walking distance to one another.

Joan – So, you are from Ipoh… I would love to hear more food recommendations from you lor.

October 13th, 2008 at 7:59 pm
DaveHooi

Gosh~~~ been to Ipoh so many times didn’t realize the currry mee instead only to oldtown and Fu San. Is the curry mee near to the Tau Fu Far area?
Oh ya, the Kaya Kok are really nice!!

October 14th, 2008 at 11:29 pm
soo sean

Funny Mountain serves the best tau fu fa I had tried so far. In my humble opinion, it’s even better than the tau fu far in Hong Kong(at least compare to the stall that I had tried).
I am from Ipoh, going back 1-2 times every months to eat. :) If you need food recommendation, perhaps I can help.

October 19th, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Dave Hooi – It is not near to the old town. I will try to get a map for you on this.

Soo Sean – It would be nice if you could send an email to me on the information…thanks

October 19th, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I totally miss this Curry Mee in Ipoh. MUST have some in my next trip back! Nice blog & great pics :)

Pureglutton´s last blog post..Sicillian Cheesecake

October 21st, 2008 at 11:41 am

kaya puff nice! one of my friends can even ordered up to 50 boxes per trip….gila!

ahKOK´s last blog post..Sports cars on the road

October 23rd, 2008 at 11:38 am

Pureglutton – After trying the curry mee, maybe you can prepare it yourself too, just like you did for the hokkien mee.

Ah Kok – Its not surprising as many people would love to have a box of it…haha. I like to have one box too…

October 23rd, 2008 at 1:59 pm