This time around, my food blog is introducing a special prawn fritter (hae jie). If you are on the look out for big prawns hae jie, I would  highly recommend you this particular stall. You can find it at the road side hawker food stalls at Johor Road, just off the Datuk Kramat Road (Padang) junction. The stall sells varieties of deep fried lorbak, tau kua, pig ears, sausages like any other lorbak stall in Penang but it stands out in its hae jie with fresh big prawns.

There are two ways of enjoying the hae jie; one way is the prawn fritters. The shells of the prawn are removed and fry in a coat of batter till golden brown. Each piece of fritter has one big prawn. The other way is having the fried hae jie with the prawn shell still intact. Both of the version are equally good.

P1110489

P1110506

***

P1110509

P1110495

These are some of the ingredients from the lorbak stall, just look at the size of the big fresh prawns. It takes six big prawns to make up for a piece of hae jie.

P1110519P1110518

P1100581P1100578

Each plate of Char Koay Teow is fried individually and served laid on a piece of banana leaf. At RM3.50 per plate, I find it a bit expensive for the small portion.

P1100591

Assam Laksa comes in two sizes, the usual ones @RM2.30 and this smaller bowl @RM2.00. This sourish assam laksa is slightly light in flavour.

P1100574

There are a few other food, including the bowl of  warm soup with Yong Tau Fu ingredients together with tang hoon (glass noodles). You could opt to have it with yam rice  too!

P1110493

Do try the the Mamak version of Popiah. They are relatively different from the Chinese version. The rolls are made with tumeric yambean, tofu and sweet sauce. Besides the popiah, we had some deep-fried cucur udang and pieces of potatoes which goes together with the gravy with added crushed roasted peanuts.

P1110481

P1110498

Most of the stalls open later in the afternoon till early evening. Access to this food stalls is from Dato Kramat Road. Take the left turn after the Dato Kramat Police Station into the one way street Johor Road.

P1110470

Click here for the Map location…
GPS Coordinate : N 05 24.816 E 100 19.102

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 at 12:08 am and is filed under Assam Laksa, Char Koay Teow, George Town, Hawker, Lorbak, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

oh my oh my oh my!!!!!
one of my fav location for afternoon snack or lunch…the food there is cheap and ‘mo tak teng’ i heart the malay poh piah and the cucur udang the most…not to forget it also has one of the cheapest lok lok on the island..another must have the homemade cocoa drink.. :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Char Siew Pau & Lotus Leaves Glutinous Rice

October 29th, 2008 at 1:21 am
SimpleGirl

The prawns fritter looks so so yummy….I especially attracted by the Char Koay Teow..mouth watering!!!

October 29th, 2008 at 8:41 am

Now you are really going into backlane. LOL. Nice he chee… btw, how much is the tu boh shui? got peanut flake with chili sos?

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Dining Can Be Inexpensive @ Chili’s Gurney, Penang

October 29th, 2008 at 9:19 am

Such an attraction Penang hawker food…yum yum! Beh tahan liao…

little inbox´s last blog post..Nippon Yataimura Japanese Restaurant @ Queensbay Mall

October 29th, 2008 at 9:26 am

Tau Sar Phneah – Mo tak teng is the word for the hae jie for me…unfortunately the lok lok stall was not open on that day.

Simple Girl – The Char Koay Teow is good but some might find it slightly smaller in portion.

Steven Goh – CK will go everywhere that has good and tasty food lor. Can’t recall the individual prices as it comes all together. The crushed peanuts chili sauce is only from the Malay stall…go and try it with your gang…

October 29th, 2008 at 9:27 am

Yes I know this place. Did you try their hokkien mee? I tried that 2 weeks ago and it taste nice.
The hae jie looks nice. I am sure that my gal will loves it. All the big prawns. lol Will try that out next time and furthermore might want to try the lok-lok too as when we were there the other day, it was crowded with people standing along the lok-lok stall cart. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Dragon-y

October 29th, 2008 at 10:07 am

Little Inbox – I also beh tahan looking at the photos when I did this post :)

Food Paradise – Some many more food to try out on next visit …will add in the hokkien mee too…haha. Do ask for the prawns without shell for your little gal.

October 29th, 2008 at 10:19 am

CK, this is the place to go after our GYM, Clark Hacth, walking distance .. Dangerous ! :)
Next round I have to try the prawn fritters.. Looks delicious.. I still remember those days when they dont have the “roof” , even more dangerous when there is crow on the trees, get what i mean ? ha ha ha
Cheers

Carole tAn´s last blog post..Monkey Beach .. 26th OCT BBQ

October 29th, 2008 at 10:49 am

such big prawns in those fritters? that’s new!
how much per pc? I like my prawns de-shelled, and fried. so this is a MUSTTRY.

means coming from Komtar, towards Jelutong, reach police station, then turn left?
sorry its been some time since I’ve been to Pg.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..MOF Japanese Sweets & Coffee @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur – Satiates That Nagging Sweet Cravings?

October 29th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Look at those prawns!! Simply amazing! The hidden treasures you unearth never fail to astound me CK Lam!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Tea for Two, Bangsar

October 29th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

so many kinds of food..and the prawn fritters are really tempting!! drooling now…. :P

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Indian Cuisine

October 29th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Carole Tan – After exercise then makan…but go easy on the food, my friend…haha. The place is now much cooler with fans fixed on the roofing.

J2kfm – Its directly opposite Covent Dato Kramat school. Just click on the map and follow the direction or just give me a call la :)

550ml jar of faith – Can visit this place on your next trip home…must try the hae jie!

Buzzingbee – You can also try out the other food that my friend mentioned – hokkien mee and lok-lok too.

October 29th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

OMG …… look at prawn fritters! It look so good.

email2me´s last blog post..Blogging Live on Halloween Day at theobroma Chocolate Lounge, 1Utama

October 29th, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Hey, is this near the Padang Brown? I have seen this so many times…wow, really good Penang food yeah:)

Christy´s last blog post..Dinner under a shady big tree

October 29th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

That yong tao hu stall is expensive.

cariso´s last blog post..Miyako Izakaya ????

October 29th, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Email2me – It is good especially when they uses fresh prawns.

Christy – Its on the other side of Padang Brown, nearer to Dato Kramat road.
Try this on your next outing.

Cariso – Not sure about the price cos I was away taking the photos. Hubby do the paying… haha

October 29th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Wa lau! such a prawn!!! i never notice this stall…must be pricey though?

gill gill´s last blog post..Bulgarian Meal at Jalan Sungai Kelian, Penang.

October 29th, 2008 at 10:39 pm

they really give BIG prawns hor?!! very generous.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Tantalising Thai

October 30th, 2008 at 8:39 am

Gillgill – It can be seen from Dato Kramat road too. Its RM2 for a piece for those with shell.

New Kid on the Blog – I like the hae jie with big prawns but they also sell the normal small ones too. Its good to have a choice.

October 30th, 2008 at 11:45 am

Wah! the prawn fritters is great!

allie´s last blog post..Tea Time with Trishaw Egg Tart

October 30th, 2008 at 12:23 pm

hmm..long time didn’t patronize those stalls de.. Got to try the prawn fritters.

samyeap´s last blog post..Bandung Travel Itinerary: Fly from Penang to Jakarta and rent van to Bandung

October 30th, 2008 at 7:31 pm

my god, char koay teow! it’s been months since I had it.. i miss it :(

October 30th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Allie & Sam Yeap – Till now, I have not come across any stalls selling this type of fritters… go and try it…its good.

Vkeong – Someone is craving for char koay teow lor…no worries as I am sure you will be back soon.

October 30th, 2008 at 11:19 pm
JT

wah.. this is sheer heaven.
hawker foods are getting more n more expensive these days. They r dangerously approaching upmarket price which I think will kill them all. I remember those days when 1 CKT costed only $1.20!

October 31st, 2008 at 2:56 am

wow!! so many ingredient for the glass noodles.. how much is the noodle?

October 31st, 2008 at 11:26 am

JT – Most of the prices of food at this place is roughly the prices around town, but I find the CKT slightly expensive because it comes in a very small portion.

Shell – It is just a small little stall but loaded with many choices of ingredients…that bowl cost around RM6.

October 31st, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Didn’t the uncle fry the CKT using charcoal? The last time I was there, we ordered it because he uses charcoal but we didn’t find the CKT to taste exceptionally good. The malay popiah has lots of customers in the evening who wants to tar pao

durianberry´s last blog post..Autumn Hokkaido Fair

October 31st, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Shd have try it one day. But i tried not to eat too much fried food. must quick quick leave this page, if not i will look at it without moving my eyes.

allenooi´s last blog post..Seafood Hokkien Char @ Penang Chinese Chin Woo Athletic Association

November 3rd, 2008 at 9:45 pm
WeyLing

Did I read wrongly…pig ears? like really really ears? :) *slurps I want the char koay teow :P

November 4th, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Durianberry – The uncle indeed uses charcoal to fry its CKT…taste is average.

Allen Ooi – I hope to see your review after your makan session in this place.

Wey Ling – Hear me right…it is 100% pig ears. You should try it on your next trip back home and share with me your views.

November 4th, 2008 at 11:21 pm

1. Penang Hawker Food - Lorbak @Kheng Pin | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Mar 09 2009 / 12am:

[...] friends call it). Click here for the Map Location. Other place for lorbak is the hawker stall in Johor Road and at Ho Ping coffee shop in Penang Road/Jalan Kampung [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:

[...] Johor Road Hawkers Location: Johor Road Business Hours: Afternoon till evening Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/10/penang-hawker-food-johor-road/ [...]

3. Penang Coffee Shops / Food Courts List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

[...] Road Hawkers Location: Johor Road Business Hours: Afternoon till evening Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/10/penang-hawker-food-johor-road/ Posted in Penang Coffee Shop / Hawker Food, Uncategorized. RSS. [...]