*** The outlet has closed.

If you are in Pulau Tikus area, you are most likely to see this signboard by the road side of the bustling Burma Road. It is indicating the newly opened stall selling salted chicken (yim gouk kai). It is located just one shop away from the Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng.

This stall is the branch out from its outlet in Joo Leong Cafe in Bayan Lepas (famous for its toast bread and half boiled eggs). The chicken is wrapped in “tracing paper” and baked in two woks filled with heated coarse salt.

P1110005 P1110006

P1110008

A bird cost RM22 whereas half of it goes for RM11. The chicken is quite small size, considering it as the ‘kampung breed’ and has less fats compare to the normal chicken. The flesh of the chicken is very tender and tasty. The combination of salt and Chinese herb of  Dong Guai gives the meat a unique flavourable aroma and it goes well with rice.

P1110039

P1110024

Side dishes comes in varieties of blanch vegetables – lettuce and bean sprout ranging from RM4 to RM6. The vegetable is sprinkle with some tiny anchovies. They do serve stew chicken leg but unfortunately it was sold out for that night.

P1110017

P1110034

For take-away, it is better that you give the proprietor, Mr. Liew a call to order before you drop in to collect it. Delivery services can be arranged too; a little chat with Mr Liew revealed that he delivers to many locations.

w

P1100934P1110041

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 at 11:08 pm and is filed under Chicken Rice, Chinese, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pulau Tikus. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow – biz has expanded till the other side of the island… :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate

October 16th, 2008 at 8:02 am

i’ve never had salted chicken before. must try …

duckie´s last blog post..Neww BT Food Court

October 16th, 2008 at 8:17 am

it’s been ages since i last try salted chicken…i miss the streets in penang.. :(

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Alton Towers

October 16th, 2008 at 8:24 am

hmm….. then no need to rush to Bayan Lepas just to get the salted chicken liao lo…

i still remember when we make our trip to Ipoh, Fei Fei and Tam Ciak order 12 whole chicken home… imagine…..

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Northam Beach Cafe Mua Chee (Pinang Mua Chee)

October 16th, 2008 at 8:31 am

wah …. RM22. here in Ipoh only RM16, yet some already complaining it;s pricey.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..An Italian Experience @ SSTC (Spaghetti Sweet Tea Cafe)

October 16th, 2008 at 8:48 am

look delicious~~
feel wan to try when go back to penang!!!

squall´s last blog post..Hari Raya Aidil Fitri Open House @ Inter Continental Hotel Phnom Penh

October 16th, 2008 at 9:12 am
SimpleGirl

The chicken looks a bit diffrent from the Ipoh one lei! Anyway, I also agreed with J2Kfm that comparatively is pricey…….

October 16th, 2008 at 9:25 am

How’s the taste? Comparable to ipoh one?

PTP, 12 chickens? Wow!!! Keng!

allie´s last blog post..Last stop @ Macau ???

October 16th, 2008 at 9:32 am

New Kid on the Blog – More convenient for people staying over this side of the island.

Duckie & Tau Sar Phneah – Both of you should give this stall a try for a change from the usual chicken dishes.

October 16th, 2008 at 9:57 am

Penangtuapui – No need to rush to Bayan Lepas for the supply now but will get those from Ipoh whenever I go on a makan trip…haha

J2kfm – What to do? Only a few shops selling in Pg. RM22 also have to pay lor because tam chiak.

Squall – Try it out and see if it suits your taste.

Simple Girl – The chicken look and taste slightly diffrent from those sold in Ipoh.

Allie – I personally still prefer those from Ipoh but this is what we can made to do with while in Penang.

October 16th, 2008 at 10:21 am

I’ve been buying this chicken from Ipoh during the past Chinese New Year for my mom and mother in law as new year gift instead of dry pork meat, it tastes better (not so oily) and healthier for them.

October 16th, 2008 at 10:44 am

finally we can taste salted chicken in Penang. Usually salted chicken only famous in Ipoh but not here back in Penang. RM22 for a bird is still acceptable. Btw, I didn’t see the picture of the herb? are they stuffed inside the chicken? Sound good, I should try that out someday.

Steven Goh´s last blog post..Cheap, Fast And Nice Seafood @ Weld Quay, Penang

October 16th, 2008 at 11:16 am

Joan – Nice of you dropping by sharing the idea of buying salted chicken as a new year gift … never thought of that. I will keep this idea for good use in the coming festival :)

Steven Goh – At least now we get to buy it in Penang when we have the crave for it. The aren’t a lot of herbs but the few pieces is found beneath the chicken.

October 16th, 2008 at 11:31 am

To be honest I never really like Salted Chicken.. tried one here in KL, those really famous one where ppl actually had to pre-order and queue up to collect.. Maybe it doesn’t suit my tastebud.. it’s just too salty to be eaten LOL. Ah well

vkeong´s last blog post..Prawn Noodle @ Ho Yee Kee, Kepong Baru

October 16th, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Salted chicken hard to match with other dishes. Ipoh people said eat it just like that and like vkeong said I find it pretty salty. Hmmm ….. Maybe I should try it with chicken rice.

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Village Chicken

October 16th, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Vkeong & Email2me – Its great getting feedback from both of you….but looks very difficult for the seller…haha

October 16th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I saw this shop when I was on my way home. They just opened for business on the 13th October 2008. I thought of buying that day but they were too pricy for me. My Mum already complained that paying RM16 for the Ipoh one was already too expensive. Maybe they should consider reducing the price a bit since the chicken has hardly any flesh on it. :P

vkeong & email2me: You can try making that into chicken sandwich just like what I did in my previous post.. Haha :P

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – TYE SIN STREET ECONOMY BEE HOON

October 16th, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Criz : imagine YEOK CHAI in your sandwich bun … first time lor ….. TONG KWAI smell in a bread … wah lau …. think also ~.~”

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Village Chicken

October 16th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Criz Lai – Thanks for sharing your chicken sandwich tips with all of us. I am sure many readers will try it out.

Email2me – Do share with me your views should you try out the salted chicken sandwich.

October 16th, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Is it taste the same as the ipoh one?

samyeap´s last blog post..Posonline is damn fast or should I say the fastest in Malaysia?

October 16th, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Looks awesomely good, ipoh cost RM16 a bird, but it looks that the bird in Penang looks bigger! wow!I will be trying them when my next visit to Peneng in this coming december!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

October 17th, 2008 at 12:37 am

the salted chicken looks delicious..make me feel hungry now~~

October 17th, 2008 at 9:58 am

Samyeap – Both of their taste are slightly different, cannot compare…

Bigboysoven – Hope can meet up with you for makan makan on your next trip!

Shell – Thanks for updating my new url!

October 17th, 2008 at 10:19 am

Wahh….Ipoh folks are actually richer than Penangites but yet, we have to pay MORE for our salted chicken than them???? Ciss….

*Penang kiamsiap mode turned on*

Like most of the other folks, I already felt that RM16 for one tiny chicken is already overpriced….but having to pay another RM6 just to have it in Penang? Hmm….I gotta have a SUPER DUPER heavy hankering for it to pay that kinda moolah for it loh. :D

Plus point…..the kiasu part in us Penangites can now say :

“U got salted chicken, We got MORE EXPENSIVE salted chicken. So there!”

Eleen Por´s last blog post..KNNCCB

October 17th, 2008 at 11:15 am

Eleen Por – Sure la more expensive… as I can see, there are no competitors around and moreover it is located in Pulau Tikus area…sure mahal sedikit lor.

October 17th, 2008 at 12:29 pm

i’ve tried the salted chicken when i was eating in Joo Leong. saw this place when i passed by :)
my mum’s not a fan of salted chicken though…so need to persuade her to go try it! haha

lingzie´s last blog post..Thai Food: Chok Dee Thai Restaurant @ Burmah Road

October 17th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Look like Pulau Tikus has many good food stalls yeah? I am totally “outdated”. Need to bookmark all these places for my upcoming Pg trip. ;)

lk´s last blog post..Siew mai (steamed dumplings)

October 17th, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Got any other branches elsewhere?!

cariso´s last blog post..Meals @ Adeline Rest House, Gopeng (Part II)

October 17th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Lingzie – Not all people like to go for salted chicken as it could be quite salty at times.

lk – With so many food blogs around, I am sure you won’t loss touch of Penang food. Would be nice if we could arrange a meet up on your coming trip!

Cariso – You can try out this salted chicken in their other outlet in Joo Leong Cafe in Bayan Lepas (famous for its toast bread and half boiled eggs).

October 17th, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I love salted chicken with herbs..use to buy fr. Ipoh..but 22 rm is quite pricey..

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Tong Sui of Lotus Tea……….

October 17th, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Sweet Jasmine – Many readers did highlight the price being a bit too pricey…its definitely not a dish that is consume daily as compare to the chicken rice…

October 19th, 2008 at 10:25 am

Again, I never try it out whether when I was in PG or in Ipoh. I think Ipoh is quite famous with this. Have you try the hak yee kai before?

allenooi´s last blog post..Yaw’s Roast & Grill

October 19th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Allenooi – Where can I get this hak yee kai?
I would like to try it.

October 19th, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Passed by this place several times and i had the thought of stopping by to tapao one bird back home (but didn’t end up doing so cos i was driving on the other side of the road). Might be i will buy one next week :)

Chen´s last blog post..Lok Lok @ Padang Brown

October 26th, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Chen – Do give them a call first, then collect it later. They made it very convenient for the customers… they will bring it to the car for you.

October 26th, 2008 at 11:58 pm
Nick

went there and tried the chicken, the taugeh and also the chicken feet. frankly speaking, they all tasted good. surely worth returning!

November 3rd, 2008 at 11:31 am

Nick – I did not get to taste the stew chicken feet as it was sold out that night :(
Will visit this place again to try it out. Glad you like the chicken.

November 3rd, 2008 at 6:40 pm
PH

Saw the shop last weekend then did a search and ended up here. I like to echo that it’s too expensive. I noticed that traders in Pg are not ripping ppl off when at one time price of food in Pg is the most reasonable.

January 26th, 2009 at 6:17 pm
PH

Correction …are now ripping

January 26th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I tried See Heong Salted Chicken in Ipoh last weekend, the taste was pretty good! It’s not salty at all as some of you said, just nice! My parents like it too. The shop is near the famous Lou Wong Taugeh Chicken shop.

October 15th, 2009 at 9:46 pm
=.=

last time was RM 22..so expensive..but now is cheaper..only RM 19..and more nicer.moreover there got two flavor..one is original, another is dang gui flavor..

November 16th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

PH, CH & =.= – Thank you everyone for sharing the info.

November 16th, 2009 at 10:00 pm
ww

I went to try when the price dropped until RM 19.They used transitional method to cook,really different from others.Delicious~

November 30th, 2009 at 1:31 am

Ww – glad you like the taste!

November 30th, 2009 at 8:44 am