Young Heart Restaurant is tucked in a strategic location near Pulau Tikus market in Penang island. Found nearby the junction of Cantonment Road and Market Street, this restaurant serves up some delicious food while keeping the prices reasonable. Remarkably, it has been around since 2005 and show no signs of slowing down.

The theme of the restaurant revolves around the Heart, as stated in its motto; The Fragrance of the Refreshment comes from the Heart. Most entries in the menu are kept plain and simple, with main usage of healthy ingredients and less reliant on extra artificial flavoring. Indeed a delightful change from all those other food we get these days.

P1110219
Innovative and practical sauce plate

Some of the ice blended we had for the night. On the left is the pineapple @RM4 while the other is the Kiwi fruit @ RM4.50.

P1110228

This plate of fried dumpling better known as ‘Guotie’ comes in six pieces @RM10.80. It is made up of meat and vegetable and tasted good with the accompanied chili oil and ginger strips in vinegar. The Pumpkin Fried Rice comes with two pieces of Fried Chicken @7.50.

P1110237

P1110254 P1110252

************************

heart

Many readers are curious about how the name “Young Heart” came about?
From the picture above, take a guess! The answer is at the end of this post!

************************

Our dinner continued with these delightful snacks of Fried Tofu and Fried Chicken Wings. The tofu is home-made with added fish paste, carrot and vegetable. Makes great snacks, especially at tea time. A recommended item!

P1110225

Last of the dishes is the bowl of noodle with our choice of ingredients. Prices varies according to the ingredients that you choose. We pick the Slipper Prawn, some Foochow fish balls and Enoki mushroom. Their home-made noodle with no preservatives added were absolutely awesome compared to those commercially produce.

P1110242

P1110247

With our tummies content, here came dessert! There is always place for dessert, at least for me anyway! We had the mango, sago and dragon fruit mix @RM4.50. Never expected those red pieces of dragon fruit to go so well with the mango.

Spoonfuls of rich and smooth  mango, a sweet end to the dinner.

P1110261

Here are a few pictures to show you just how these simple decorations can help brighten up this Wifi-enabled restaurant. Very homely and cozy feeling, sure to be back for more.

P1110211P1110291

P1110270P1110269

It is open for lunch at 12pm all the way to dinner and closes at 10pm with Monday as its off day. Be sure to check out its set lunch deals as well, with students getting extra deals! Reservations can be made through telephone number: 04 2288084. Lingzie paid a visit to this restaurant as well, as you can find it here.

P1110425

*******************
What was your guess? Lets see whether you got it right…

sweetheart_hoya

The plant above is called the Sweetheart Hoya. It became the inspiration of the proprietor to name the restaurant Young Heart, which reflects the shape of the leaf on this plant.

*********************

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 25th, 2008 at 5:34 pm and is filed under Chinese, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pulau Tikus. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Looks like a Chinese fusion food restaurant to me. The dumpling looks nice to me. I always like gyoza.

email2me´s last blog post..Blogging Live on Halloween Day at theobroma Chocolate Lounge, 1Utama

October 25th, 2008 at 9:01 pm

The fried tofu looks nice wor! You always surprise us with new food outlet. Cool!

allie´s last blog post..100% rebate @ Swensen

October 25th, 2008 at 9:42 pm

good to see this review! love the food here and they keep adding new things to the menu too :)

October 25th, 2008 at 10:00 pm

The food fulfills my requirement, which I know it will suit my taste buds.
The sweetheart plant is really nice. :)

little inbox´s last blog post..New Secret Restaurant ????????

October 25th, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Dragon fruit with mango – a new combo for me. Nowadays it is hard to find homemade noodles. Must bookmark this place!

October 25th, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Email2me – The dumpling taste good too and comes with many types of fillings to choose from…maybe we can drop by to try out the food on your next trip.

Allie – You can try out this place..the tofu is soft and smooth with a few items blended together for that great texture…worth trying.

Lingzie – I always like new menu…can expect something different after some visits.

Little Inbox – It is a lovely plant…would be nice to know where to buy one for the house.

October 25th, 2008 at 10:50 pm

i knew this restaurant…it was there for a while..always noticed it when stuck in a queqe for the traffics at cantonment road…but never pay a visit…btw, the dumplings really look great.. :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Char Siew Pau & Lotus Leaves Glutinous Rice

October 26th, 2008 at 2:17 am

I like the bowl of noodle ^.^ What is slipper prawn? Looks like lobster wor! The dessert combination is interesting too

durianberry´s last blog post..Sight, Sound & Taste of Diwali in Brickfields

October 26th, 2008 at 5:05 am

lk – I am not a very keen on dragon fruit but this combination was nice. Thanks for bookmarking this place.

October 26th, 2008 at 8:56 am

Tau Sar Phneah – Its been there for some time and some how, this is my first time there. After tasting the food, I am sure going back for more visits.

Durianberry – I have eaten this prawns at a buffet and they name it clay fish…so I am also confuse but most important….ho chiak!

October 26th, 2008 at 9:02 am

I’ve been to this place too, 2 years ago I think when they’ve just opened long ago.
The food was not that nice that time but I did like the environment though:)

Christy´s last blog post..Lunch @ Salsas

October 26th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I’ve been curious about this place for a long time – my folks went to try it years ago and proclaimed it tasteless but the fact that it’s lasted this long must mean that there’s something special about it. I guess there’s only one way to find out!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Tea for Two, Bangsar

October 26th, 2008 at 5:19 pm

ya, last time this restaurant didn’t get good review. Perhaps I shall give it a try now.

cariso´s last blog post..?????? Ryoma Japanese Restaurant (part 3)

October 26th, 2008 at 7:12 pm

wow the mango dessert looks really tempting … Shud try one of this days..
Thanks n Cheers
Carole Tan

October 26th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Christy , 550ml jar of Faith & Cariso – You can always drop by and try it again and when you do, please share your reviews with us.

Carole Tan – It’s a nice combination, tasty and cold.

October 26th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

This one I saw the place every time passed by but haven’t got change to go in and check the place out. It is great that you check out that place. The 6 pcs of “fried dumpling” with RM10.80 to me a bit expensive. The rest I feel ok on the pricing. Btw, I love the way u lure the readers on the “young heart” story. It keeps the readers continue to read your post until the end. I find this is new and will be a successful method. Great Job, keep it up :)

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Nice Spicy Banana Leaf @ Passion Of Karala, Brown Garden

October 26th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Looks yummy. Will try it out one of these days :)

October 26th, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Steven Goh – There are plenty more dishes in the menu, with noodles and rice sets as well. Besides ice blended, there are also fresh fruit juices.
Btw…thanks for your comment!

Chen – Hope you like the food :)

October 27th, 2008 at 12:05 am

It seems like a delicious dinner for you haha. Nice=)

sgfoodlover´s last blog post..Eatzi gourmet – Simply delicious pastries

October 27th, 2008 at 1:33 am

Have always drove by, but have never tried! May be will have ago , especially for the cray fish!

Jason WOng´s last blog post..Bulgarian Meal at Jalan Sungai Kelian, Penang.

October 27th, 2008 at 10:25 am

Sgfoodlover – This is another place for the family to have a simple meal.

Jason Wong – Besides the cray fish, there are many more other seafood items and ingredients to choose from…and goes well with noodles and rice.

October 27th, 2008 at 10:31 am
Kaya MeeKoo

Passed by this restaurant countless of times but am always distracted by the onslaught of crazy drivers coming from the other side, who seem to have no regard for the road divider..

Anyway, scary moments aside..the food and interior looks great! And a plant bursting with “hearts”? How cute is that! :-)

October 27th, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Customer hv the choose of ingredient for the noodle is a very good selling point^^

October 27th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Kayameekoo – Totally agree with you, that junction is damm busy with the kai su attitiude of drivers but parking is easily available in front of the driveway of the restaurant.

Shell – I like it that way too…choose what you like to eat :)

October 28th, 2008 at 10:38 am

i saw this place but never thought of trying there!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Fettes Park Hainan Western Food

October 28th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I like the setting of the restaurant, looks very cosy and very welcoming, there looks looks awesome too!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

October 28th, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Duckie – Now you can give it a try with roughly an idea of the place.

Bigboysoven – I like the look of the restaurant too…simple and relaxing environment, with varieties of snack. Many working adults were seen busy using their laptop.

October 29th, 2008 at 12:34 am

go eat there can become young or not? if yes, then i want. LOL.

allenooi´s last blog post..Seafood Hokkien Char @ Penang Chinese Chin Woo Athletic Association

November 3rd, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Allen Ooi – You won’t become young again, that’s for sure but I think you will be happy with the service and the food :)

November 5th, 2008 at 12:08 pm
Eric Lee

the tofu is soft and smooth ,homemade noodles very QQ!
The dumpling taste good and comes with many types of fillings to choose !
So everybody must try this special restaurant ,I will alway go there

November 8th, 2008 at 12:02 am
kenny oh

Always pass by this restaurant while going home, wanted to try since long time ago, but always end up somewhere else, after read your review decided to give it a try, good job! :D it will be best if more food from the menu is introduced here

February 6th, 2009 at 6:43 pm
Patrick

I visited this restaurant before, the food is so so and very small portion and very expensive. I would not go back to this place again. Not my choice, sorry.

July 26th, 2009 at 10:56 am

1. Invited Review @Young Heart Restaurant, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 11 2009 / 10am:

[...] bloggers, we visited this restaurant located on Cantonment Road. I truly enjoyed the food of my last visit to this restaurant with my [...]

2. » Penang Chinese Food List Penang Deli    Sep 19 2009 / 3pm:

[...] 016-410 8098 (Ms. Ann Kee) Closed On: Mondays Business Hours: 12.00noon-10.00pm Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/10/young-heart-restaurant-pulau-tikus-penang/ http://yummy-station.com/2009/01/09/young-heart-restaurant-penang-pulau-tikus/ [...]