Last week, the Malaysian-German Society of Penang held their annual Christmas celebration and Bazaar  which is open to the public at their premises in Jalan Air Itam. Many programs were lined up for the event featuring the presence of  Santa Claus, piano performance,  story telling,  Christmas caroling and gourmet food.

Although there were no serving of turkey and Christmas pudding, they make it up by serving yummy smoked barbeque chicken and jumbo sausages. Potato salad and Sauerkraut made up the side dishes.

img_2006_resize.jpg

This bazaar also featured bakery items with a wide selection of wholemeal bread, baguette and bagels.

img_2011_resize.jpg

img_2009_resize.jpg

I took the opportunity to try out the Marinated Smoked Chicken with Sauerkraut and Potato Salad, with some added German mustard. By cooking it this way, the meat of the chicken still retain its moisture and not dried up.

img_2017_resize.jpg

This is a serving of Baguette,  Chicken Sausage with dipping curry sauce. I tried a cup of the traditional German Christmas Drink – Gluehwein/Mulled Wine (spiced hot red wine). The wine itself is sweet with aroma of  cinnamon and cloves which is served warm and cost @RM12. This is one beverage that we don’t get to taste very often.

img_2023_resize.jpg

It was an eventful day with The IWA Choir performing Christmas carols which warm up the crowd.  There were also plenty of homemade Christmas cookies and cakes for sale. All this gives the place a cheerful Christmas atmosphere .

This society runs many German related events throughout the year. For any information regarding the society and its upcoming events, the details are below:

Malaysian-German Society
250B Jalan Air Itam
10460 Penang
Tel: 04 2296853

An early ‘Merry Christmas’ to everybody or should I say, ‘Froehliche Weihnachten’

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 at 12:40 am and is filed under BBQ, Events, German Cuisine, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow, i am the first! hahahaha.

the sausage looks nice! long time never eat potato salad. hmmmmm, can make it for the gathering.

allenooi´s last blog post..Miss Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine Restaurant @ Penang e-Gate

November 19th, 2008 at 4:26 am
SimpleGirl

I love those bread….do they provide any different spread or sauce?

November 19th, 2008 at 8:37 am

Allen Ooi – That is a good idea!

Simple Girl – There are no extra sauces besides the curry sauce and mustard…The bread goes well with the bbq meat.

November 19th, 2008 at 9:40 am

I did not make it for this events as we need to attend some functions. Glad that you go and thanks for sharing. Looking @ the photos remind me to do some review of Ingolf soon. lol

FoOd PaRaDisE´s last blog post..HILMEE BURGER – HOT DOG SPECIAL

November 19th, 2008 at 10:16 am
Tan

CK i miss this la!!!! SHould hv ask me to go looks yummy!!!!!

November 19th, 2008 at 10:34 am

Food Paradise – That reminds me, I still have a article on Ingolf that I have yet to post. Waiting to see yours soon.

Tan – I thought your interest was only on big boys machine…haha

November 19th, 2008 at 10:40 am

Your title – Christmas Bazaar & Celebration @Malaysian-German Society | What2See : Best of Penang Food! – caught my eye on the google blogsearch page. Just goes to show you how important good titles are! ;-) I’ve added http://www.what2seeonline.com to my reader, so I can see what else you come up with

November 19th, 2008 at 11:22 am

Everything looks delicious!! I remember going for the same bazaar last year and not seeing as much food. Spicy hot wine… I want!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Breakfast noodles in the ‘hood

November 19th, 2008 at 11:33 am

Daniel was there also. You didn’t bumped into him?

email2me´s last blog post..Honda Asimo Humanoid Robot Live In 1Utama

November 19th, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Couldn’t wait to try out this German fare. The German sausage looks good.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Beware of This Criminal Tactics…..

November 19th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I bet you enjoy yourself?! huh?

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..The Seed Café, MidValley Mega Mall

November 19th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

550ml jar of faith – I find that this year was better than the last. Hopefully we can be there again next year.

Email2me – The place was quite crowded, I must have miss seeing him. Hope to see him with you next month.

Sweet Jasmine – The sausages were very tasty after being smoked.

New Kid on the Blog – Quite a nice and unusual outing which we can’t get to go normally.

November 19th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

oh i missed this :( would have been nice a nice outing since i love german sausages. and the smoked marinated chicken looks good too!

November 19th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Binwah – Thank you for adding me.

Lingzie – It is a nice outing especially with these type of food and beverages. Maybe we can go together next year.

November 19th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Har last week???? Aiyooo…I can’t believe I missed all those yummylicious bbq meat and gigantic sausages! T.T sob…

November 20th, 2008 at 6:21 am

I read about it in the papers but have forgotten abt it so miz it leh. Would love to try their jumbo sausages and their wine :)

Thanks for sharing , at least I get to drool over those mouth watering german food :p

Elin´s last blog post..Apple Crisps

November 20th, 2008 at 10:12 am

Jian & Elin – no worries, there do organize events on and off.
I also miss out on the Oktobertfest last month…hopefully get to attend it next year.

November 20th, 2008 at 11:31 am

Oh my… the Marinated Smoked Chicken with Sauerkraut and Potato Salad really makes me so hungry right now! *slurps*

November 20th, 2008 at 11:36 am

very nice spread, i must say! throw in a nice german beer and it’ll be excellent! :)

any pork knuckle? :)

November 20th, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Selba & Nic (KHKL) – I must say, it is a nice hearty meal. There are plenty of beer to go around too but unfortunately there were no serving of knuckle in this event.

Btw…I am happy that you drop by…thanks

November 20th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Wah, cannot resist the German sausage… macam very sedap leh!!

*drools*

Cheers,
desmond-t

desmond-t´s last blog post..Ming Court HK Dim Sum in Ipoh

November 20th, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Ah, I knew I forgot to go somewhere! It’s this event. Sigh…oh well. luckily didn’t go, or else end up stuffing myself silly again…heheheh

Foong´s last blog post..The Cookie Monster Bakes – Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

November 20th, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Argh !!! we have missed out on this. I love German food !!!

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Dinner at a cozy Ecco Café

November 20th, 2008 at 7:59 pm

German sausage is my hubby’s favourite. I luv those bagels. Looks so tasty!

November 20th, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Desmond-t – I understand…who could resist tasty sausages.

Foong – I am also a bit greedy…bought and tried most of the food and also got the different kind of cakes too…

Food Promotions – Remember to put the date in your calendar for the coming year.

lk – My hubby loves the sausages too.

November 20th, 2008 at 11:56 pm

wow, simply great food!

Singapore Short Stories´s last blog post..Where is Mas Selamat?

November 21st, 2008 at 12:11 am
Kopi

Kudos to you, CK… Such a wonderful blog and thanks for sharing…
Whenever I run out of idea for lunch/dinner, I will come here to check out for new places :-)

November 21st, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Singapore Short Stories – It’s great too, seeing you dropping by.

Kopi – Thanks…it would also be nice if you could share your makan places with me.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:18 pm

yum yum… nice big sausage. I think I can’t finished them all. I had never been to the German Christmas Bazzar before, I heard my friend said got free flow beer? Is that true?

November 21st, 2008 at 9:08 pm

the german sausage make me drool too…. and drool at late night… :(

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food | Jin Xiu Art Gallery and Tea House

November 21st, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Steven Goh – Besides the food, they serve beer and German wine but you have to pay for everything that you eat and drink lor…no free flow of beer.

Penang Tua Pui – Hopefully it didn’t keep the Tuapui’s awake the whole night…haha

November 22nd, 2008 at 5:06 pm
Ryan^83^

Hi CK, i stay in AIr Itam but not sure where the place is? Were you invited to the function? Or it was opened for the public? I have no idea at all… @@

November 24th, 2008 at 5:31 pm
IVAN

Yea… i also don’t know where is this place… I don’t want to miss this event next year too… hehe :)

December 24th, 2008 at 11:43 am
ChengYik

Hi CK, your blog is absolutely wonderful!!
Plenty or food reviews, definitely whet my appetite to try some of those food and new places… :)

FYI, the German Society is located along Jln Air Itam (if not mistaken, the road not yet become Jln Dato Keramat).
After the Masjid Negeri traffic light, from Air Itam, drive straight towards Georgetown. After the road curves to the left, keep a sharp lookout for a sign says Malaysia-German Society. Turn left into the very small and narrow junction and drive straight. You will see the building on the right.

Been to their Oktoberfest last year, had a real blast, good food, great beer (though is expensive, German cuisine mah), superb entertainment by authentic German band. Will definitely go there every year, though missed the Xmas bazaar due to conflicting occasion..

February 12th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Cheng Yik – It was so nice of you sharing the detailed location of this place.
I did miss out the Oktoberfest last year and I really hope I could attend it this year…hopefully get to see you there and a hello from you would be lovely :)

February 12th, 2009 at 12:40 pm
JJ

Gluehwein….it’s nice. It even feel nicer if drink at outdoor during winter time. It really warm your body up

Did they serve german beer then?? I missed german beer so much, it is the best beer i ever have.

March 10th, 2009 at 9:34 pm
Ann

hi,

where to get the entrance ticket for this christmas function? anyone can advice.thanks.

September 2nd, 2009 at 1:36 pm

JJ -Do look out for this year outing.

Ann – No need for tickets. Just join in and pay for the food that you like to eat.

September 2nd, 2009 at 4:40 pm
Ann

hi CK Lam,

the detail for this year function (date and time) will u post in the website?
thanks. :)

September 14th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Ann – I will share with all when I do get the info. :) If you do come across it, do let me know too.

September 15th, 2009 at 10:39 am