We visited Hai Onn, a Hainanese restaurant located in a shoplot along Burmah Road, Penang. This restaurant has been around for many years and is one of the few old style traditional Hainanese restaurant around Georgetown. Inside the shop are several hawker stalls, with one selling  koay teow soup, which is a favourite Penang hawker food. From noon onwards, this place operates as a restaurant.

They have a few signature dishes including the Hainanese Pork Chop and Chicken Chop.  Their version is done differently from those sold nowadays. I like the delicious flavor of the starchy potato gravy which goes well with toast bread.

p1110206_resize.jpg

p1100218_resize.jpg

This is the Hainanese Hokkien Char. Noticed the simplicity of this dish, it does not have the usual thick black soy sauce that most hawkers will use nowadays.

p1110125_resize.jpg

We had the Inchi Kabin (fried chicken Haninese style), Roti Babi and Choon Piah (spring roll). The accompanying sauce for these three deep-fried dishes is appetizing and spicy.

p1120106_resize.jpg

p1120120_resize.jpg

p1100210_resize.jpg

p1120125_resize.jpg

We had several stir-fried dishes to go with white rice – cabbage with egg, pork in thick black soy sauce, egg with bitter gourd, gulai tumis black promfret and tanghoon soup.

p1110191_resize.jpg

p1110197_resize.jpg

Pork in thick black soy sauce

p1120116_resize.jpg

Fried egg with bitter gourd

This is the gulai tumis black promfret  prepared with lots of lady fingers. This is good….. the sauce is rich with chopped onions, lemon grass and lotus flower.

p1120112_resize.jpg

The tanghoon (glass noodles) mushroom soup turns out  a bit oily.

p1110190_resize.jpg

If you have a craving for this type of Hainanese food, do drop by this restaurant. Do bear in mind that service can be a bit slow especially when it is crowded as the chef takes his time cooking up the dishes. Business hours are from 8am – 9pm (for the coffee shop) and 11am – 9pm (for the restaurant). It is close on Monday.

Hai Onn Restaurant
53- 55 Burma Road
10050 Penang

Tel : 04 2274751

Click here for Map Location.
GPS Coordinate : N 05 25.049 E 100 19.737

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 16th, 2008 at 1:10 am and is filed under George Town, Hainanese Cuisine, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

i missed this old-style coffee shop…is one of my parents fav choice for sunday lunch :)

eventhought we are not hainanese but, the food served is marvellous..it has the authentic old flavours tht you cant get else where…

my fav dishes in this particular hop is the chic chop, the dark soy sauce pork and we always have the gulai as well thumbs up for the food!! :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Halloween

November 16th, 2008 at 5:00 am

yummy! This muz be like ” last of the mohicans ” of old style cooking.. I can imagine the authentic taste..and they still serve in those glass plates too!

November 16th, 2008 at 6:53 am

Tau Sar Phneah – This is the last few near the original breed of Hainanese food. Savour it when you can…haha

The Nomad Gourmand – Wow, you are very observant…did noticed that they still serve food in the glass plates, indeed very rare.

November 16th, 2008 at 8:47 am

I don’t even know that they serve chu char. I went there to have breakfast only and like the fish balls. Thanks for sharing! Will try the chu char one day it looks delicious. lol

FoOd PaRaDisE´s last blog post..LIM JING HIENG Shreded Pork Stick

November 16th, 2008 at 9:31 am

the gulai looks interesting. i love this type of gulais. must go try one day

duckie´s last blog post..Malacca food & souveniors

November 16th, 2008 at 11:07 am

Oh my goodness!! I read this after a full lunch and still it made me drool! I love this sort of old school Hainanese cooking, it’s the best! Your pictures are really jumping out at me, esp that inchi kabin.

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Breakfast noodles in the ‘hood

November 16th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

This is one of the few lao jee hoe Hainanese restaurants that is left in the PG island. Now I really miss the Lok Tai Ku which has been closed down! How I wish that I know how to blog 15 years back so that I can capture the look of Lok Tai Ku!

cariso´s last blog post..????? (Conches Soup)

November 16th, 2008 at 1:59 pm

oh Burmah road … which part of it?

me a Hainanese, so naturally (hehe) I like the chicken and pork chop. simple sauce, with Lea & Perrins.

roti babi! only Pg has them it seems. KL also hard to find other than Yut Kee.

good post!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Of Hotel Food and Little Cottage Cafe, Penang

November 16th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

The sauce looks very keng! Must be very spicy??

The fried chicken and the gulai looks yummy.

allie´s last blog post..Recipe: Mango Cheesecake

November 16th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Food Paradise – Remember the chu char only starts from 11am till 9pm only.

Duckie – It is a recommended dish with your choice of seafood.

Cariso – In that case, don’t wait too long to try out Hai Onn!

J2kfm – It is nearby Mccalister Lane chee cheong fun and also the former Rex theatre.

November 16th, 2008 at 5:34 pm

you should try the mee sua tao… one of the famous there… but need to wait kind of long…

November 16th, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Allie – The sauce is a must to go with the food…slightly spicy. You must go and try once and you will know the taste :)

Mabel – I sure will try out the mee sua tao…thanks for recommending.

November 16th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

wow !! tis really look yummy…i read it at kwang hua newspaper b4 …sometime when at town area really dunt know wanna go where 2 eat nice food at the end back 2 same stall same restaurant…..thanks ah cklam ^^ thanks tat sreets photo now i know where tis hai onn location !! ^^

fly´s last blog post..Bukit Jambu??????

November 16th, 2008 at 10:43 pm
Tan

CK the foods there is not bad BUT i hate the wait la always takes very long time to serve the foods over there.

November 17th, 2008 at 12:20 am
SimpleGirl

My goodness, the “chops” look so good! It is not easy to find this old style nowadays. i TOTALLY agree with you. It looks a bit similar as one Hanainese coffee shop near Dang Wangi in KL.

November 17th, 2008 at 8:53 am

550ml jar of Faith – Do mark it down on your makan list…worth visiting.

Fly – Hope you like the food in this restaurant.

Tan – I am also a bit impatient, but for the good and yummy food, have to learn to sit and wait…haha.

Simple Girl – This type of old style chicken/pork chop is good, do order the toast bread to dip in the gravy.

November 17th, 2008 at 9:40 am
Tan

CK if you are in for old style chop Sin Kheng Aun is also another good place to be!

November 17th, 2008 at 9:45 am

I normally go for the Koay Teow Th’ng and never try their other stuff. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Din Tai Fung ???, The Garden

November 17th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Like Cariso, I also missed Lok Tai Kui. Only know about the Koay Teow Th’ng in this place. My hubby is looking for authentic Hainan mee and I luv roti babi. Looks like this another good place to bookmark. Hehehe!

November 17th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I got the sourish feel when looking at the promfret curry fish. It looks so home cook style.

email2me´s last blog post..Honda Asimo Humanoid Robot Live In 1Utama

November 17th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

The pork chop & chicken chop looks very home style cooking. Hmm…must be yummy!

little inbox´s last blog post..White Fungus Dessert

November 17th, 2008 at 4:47 pm
rebeccalee

I’ve dined in Hai Oan since young, the perfection to their food has deteriorated since then; ie the chicken chop came with a full drumstick (leg & thigh) .. now it’s only the leg with lots of flour ..

November 17th, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Tan – Our family is a frequent customer of that place and love their gulai tau tey fish…thanks for recommending.

New Kid on the Blog – Do visit this place, they have plenty of dishes to offer.

lk – The roti babi is nicely done, not too oily and the Hainan mee is simple yet tasty.

Email2me – It taste as good as it look…I am considering taking you here for dinner.

Little Inbox – Both chops have the same yummy gravy.

Rebecca – I wasn’t aware they were different from the past…I started visited this place only recently and found the food tasty.

November 17th, 2008 at 7:56 pm

OMG! I just lived 4 houses away when I was small. HAHAHA. I knew this restaurant and knew the owner. I like their chicken chop when small but seldom have it. You know la…. most of the time eat at home, mum cooked. I used to lived in burma road for around 20 years!

allenooi´s last blog post..Miss Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine Restaurant @ Penang e-Gate

November 17th, 2008 at 10:02 pm
Ryan^83^

Hi CK, thanks for sharing this place with us. I’ve read about it on the newspaper month ago but never try it out as i forgot its location. Now, i realised that it is just sitting beside the main road which i will passby frequently. Definately will visit in short future. By the way, how’s the hygenic condition there?

November 18th, 2008 at 10:40 am

Allenooi – Didn’t know you were from that area previously. Maybe you can drop by now to try their famous chicken chop… never too late.

Ryan83 – The food is good but don’t expect too much from its surroundings as it is inside a very old pre war house but basically it is clean.

November 18th, 2008 at 10:48 am

Nice place to go for hainanese style of cooking. The chops looks authentic and the gulai assam fish…drooling. Thx. I now know where to get good food at reasonable prices :p

Elin´s last blog post..Daddy’s Beef Steak Special ^ *

November 18th, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Hello haha I simply like this post because of the hainanese pork chop at the front ha! Hainanese pork chop is a nice dish with their sauce on it.

sgfoodlover´s last blog post..Java Kitchen

November 18th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Just went to Hai Oon this afternoon for lunch. I didn’t know they have Oriental style Chick Chop. I had ordered the Koay Teow Thng cause they got the poster of Rasa Rasa Penang there, so far very nice too.

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..New Menu Vietnamese Street Food @ Miss Saigon, eGate

November 19th, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Elin – Its my pleasure introducing this to you.

Sgfoodlover – The pork / chicken chop with toast bread is a must try.

Steven Goh – I won’t know about this place if my friend did not introduced it to me…do give it a try.

November 20th, 2008 at 12:10 am

I went to Hai Onn 3 days in a row. Went on Fri, but 2 of us could only ordered chicken chop with toast bread and char misua. Went again on Sat, but tauke went outstation. I only managed to order more food, with my family, on Sunday. :)

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

November 24th, 2008 at 11:10 am

Soo Sean – I really ‘pui fook’ you…going to the same restaurant 3 days in a row. You really try out most of the food then…haha

November 24th, 2008 at 10:36 pm
Alfred

The food is indeed good but the wait time is very long though (40mins+/-) from what i remembered the last few times i went there…

April 8th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Alfred – Think of it this way, patience in return for good and tasty food always put a smiling face back on again…and it always does for me.

April 8th, 2009 at 11:48 pm

This place looks interesting; along Burmah Road? Is it the kopitiam along there ar?:D

Christy´s last blog post..Penang treats Part 2: Nyonya and Seafood

July 2nd, 2009 at 10:52 am

well been there once and they service really very bad. Before the food even come it already leave a very bad impression on me.

Here is the scenario:
me and my gf was sitting down and ordered 2plates of chicken chop. There were 3-4 empty tables which ppl booked. And they came in 20min later then us and their food get serve 1st.

I ask how come, and they say they follow order list. Come on yeah I know they booked, but they came it like 20min the last table is 40min after i sit down.

How long those it take to make 2bowls of chicken chop and she’s telling me we follow orders… so we have to sit there stupidly for 1hr+ for 2plates of chicken chop…. well no way I’m waiting for that

so my comment unless your really free with nothing better to do don’t go there, there are still other good foods in Penang that you don’t have to wait for 1hr+ for 2plates of chicken chop

December 28th, 2009 at 11:39 am
Mike

Been there twice for the last 2 weekend. Order the Pork Chop since the Chicken has run out of stock. Yes, this old restaurant really bring back lots of memory and those who came I guess are their regular customer. We waited for almost 45mins for our pork chop together with the toast bread….Taste excellent…furthermore I am Hainanese and I’m so proud for this restaurant. My daughter love the pork chop so much which lead us to visit there again the next weekend for Chu Char.

The nice lady boss gave me their name card from the previous visit and told us to call in advance so that don’t have to wait. We called upfront to order the Gulai Tumis Black Promfret, Roti Babi, Friend Bittergourd, Fried Pork & Liver in Dark source, Friend Leek with Beancurd and last but no least the Pork Chop with toast bread for my daughter. Well…the foods are so delicious and my mum love it so much. We are planning for another visit tomorrow noon for the chicken chop and this time I am bringing my 2 best buddy to join me. As usual, I will call up to make the order to avoid long waiting.

March 19th, 2010 at 4:05 pm