Restaurant May Foong is an old establishment in Bagan Dalam, Butterworth, Penang which is famous for its Ipoh Hor Fun, Steam Chicken (pak cham kai) and Prawn Dumpling (wanton). It is located nearby another famous dim sum eatery, Sweet Paradise Restaurant.

The Hor Fun has the smoothness and silkiness in it, exactly like the ones we had in Thean Chun coffeeshop in old town, Ipoh. There are two version, the dry ones and the soup ones. The dry ones are served with some light sauce instead of the usual black thick sauce. The soup is very clear and tasted the same as those in Ipoh but only lack the redness appearance.

p1110611_resize_0.jpg

p1110622_resize.jpg

Prawn Wanton (shrimp dumpling) is very fresh with thin and smooth wanton skin.

p1110621_resize.jpg

Chicken in oyster sauce… the meat is tender yet fully cooked. The chicken tasted much better than those that I have eaten so far and goes well with its watery chili sauce which has less garlic.

p1110616_resize_0.jpg

This lunch for two person cost RM15 inclusive of two glasses of herbal tea. For those who like to try out this delicious Ipoh Hor Fun, do check out their Map location

p1110630_resize.jpg

4274 Jalan Kampong Benggali
Butterworth
Penang

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 23rd, 2008 at 1:32 am and is filed under Chicken Rice, Chinese, Koay Teow Th'ng, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wah CK, u eat until butterworth liao. hor liao!!! me still stay in this tiny penang island! hahaha.

the wantan looks so yummy wor.

allenooi´s last blog post..Miss Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine Restaurant @ Penang e-Gate

November 23rd, 2008 at 10:06 am

Is this the same stall which is located at Chai Leng Park last time?

cariso´s last blog post..Free Voucher for Cariso’s readers

November 23rd, 2008 at 10:09 am

The chicken looks so tender even in the picture. :)

allie´s last blog post..Mee Goreng Sotong

November 23rd, 2008 at 10:35 am

Food hunting at Butterworth…I always have problem to find a cafe or restaurant in Butterworth. Hmm…the chicken looks so smooth…

little inbox´s last blog post..Japanese Tofu With Enokitake

November 23rd, 2008 at 11:19 am

Allen Ooi – You should go further lor… this chicken and hor fun is different from those in the island.

Allie – Go and try it…very smooth and tender.

Little Inbox – I also don’t know much about the eating places in Butterworth…this place is recommended by my hubby’s friend. The food is good.
Hope readers can introduce more eating outlets to me :)

November 23rd, 2008 at 12:02 pm

comparable to Thean Chun then? :)

even Thean Chun has increased their prices. but still RM3.50 per bowl. hehe … damn sweet broth some more.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Tung Koo Thing aka Aneka Selera – Where Everything’s Under One Roof in Ipoh

November 23rd, 2008 at 12:12 pm

looks good!! i’m actually going over to butterworth this week. might go try!! thanks for recommending

November 23rd, 2008 at 2:21 pm

hahahaha… used to visit this place when I was working in Butterworth… but then not anymore.
in 1970s, next to May Foong used to have a very good Bak Kut Teh too… I supposed they have closed down due to less demand.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Sin Geylang Frog Porridge

November 23rd, 2008 at 3:08 pm
Tan

This morning i was at another end eating the koay teow with sio bak!!!! Should hv go to May Fong so you can spend me!! heeee heee

November 23rd, 2008 at 4:07 pm

J2kfm – The soup doesn’t have so much prawn taste as compare to those in Thean Chun and they don’t use kau choy instead substitute with choy sum but thats the best I came across so far.

Duckie – You can have the chicken and wanton with rice if you don’t like hor fun.

New Kid on the Blog – Thanks for the info…hope you can recommend more good makan places in Butterworth for me.

Tan – Wow…have koay teow with sio bak…why didn’t you invite me along…haha???

November 23rd, 2008 at 6:22 pm
Tan

Just few shops away only la the corner shop i think you will know. didnt manage to get the shop name !!!!!!

November 24th, 2008 at 12:03 am

I’ve been here many times !!!! everytime I go there sure damn sueh !!! coz pay saman at the nearby police station before visit this restaurant …. -.-”

November 24th, 2008 at 12:29 am

Tan – I will check it out since I am familiar with the area now…thanks.

Email2me – Be more patient la! wait for a parking space and then only enjoy your food lor.

November 24th, 2008 at 12:54 am

Cariso – Took a bit long to reply to you as I am not too sure about it…hope my readers can help to clarify this…

November 24th, 2008 at 12:59 am
Kaya MeeKoo

Mmm..looks yummy especially the shrimp wanton.

Unfortunately, I don’t go across the bridge that often :-(

The last restaurant I visited was Hwa Hong (at Chai Leng Park) which was not too bad. I remember their curry chicken in a bun was rather tasty.

November 24th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

What a great discovery! The chicken in oyster sauce looks so delish! But it is too far from my place unless I can find a kaki. :(

lk´s last blog post..Teriyaki chicken skew (Yakitori)

November 24th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Kayameekoo – Thanks for introducing the food outlet… will check out Hwa Hong soon.

lk – Just give me a call, come here and I will be your makan kaki…haha

November 24th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Hello ck lam :) You’ve been tagged by me. Will you pls help me to do the meme thing? And here’s the link: http://laihooisan.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/meme-time/

Thanks :D

November 24th, 2008 at 5:39 pm

This really look nice. Must go and try this out one day. lol Heard lots about this shop.

FoOd PaRaDisE´s last blog post..Paddington House of Pancakes

November 24th, 2008 at 5:55 pm

i know this place…. ya .. ho fun is nice.. but only try once when I am hunting some parts at Kampong Benggali

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Malay Food | Three ‘N’ Ikan Bakar

November 24th, 2008 at 8:25 pm

San – Thanks for tagging me but I have to give it a miss as I have just done this in 11th Nov.

Food Paradise – Just have a nice drive over there for lunch.

Penangtuapui – For me, this ho fun is one of the better ones around.

November 24th, 2008 at 10:29 pm
coketai

I have a lot of memory for this place, all the way back to to early 1990′s. I remember there use to be a restaurant at the far end that sell roat duck rice…. and May Fong was my No. 1 choice for Sunday lunch during those year I stay at Prai. One day must visit them again.

I presume good food can’t fade away with time. Thanks

LY.Tai

coketai´s last blog post..????

November 26th, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Coketai – You must be very familiar with that place. Hope you can recommend other outlets around that area to me.

I like the food in May Foong :)

November 27th, 2008 at 9:51 am

I love to but just my memory for Kampung Benggali stay way back a decade ago!! May be you should recommend to me what is the latest goodies around Butterworth area!! Ha ! Ha!

LY.Tai

coketai´s last blog post..????

November 27th, 2008 at 11:33 pm
Chak Kar Chui

wahhh…so ho chiak…i also wan wei….yum yum yum!!!

December 5th, 2008 at 9:24 am
Lysanne

Its been such a long time since i went to this place.. This place really brings back old memories..

hahaha.. make me sound like really old..

well.. maybe will drop by tmr for late breakfast!!

December 6th, 2008 at 2:09 am

Coketai – Will share all my food outings around Butterworth with all of you in time to come…

Chak Kar Chui – Just follow the map directions and you will get to taste this yummy chicken hor fun.

Lysanne – Its always nice for revisits if the food is good.

December 6th, 2008 at 12:33 pm
kopi

CK,
This is one of my fav… I always go there for lunch. Does it open for dinner? Any idea???

December 10th, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Kopi – Unfortunately they are not open in the night…I wish they would. The only day convenient for office worker is on Saturday and Sunday.

December 10th, 2008 at 4:01 pm
Jocelyn

Hi, Mdm Lam. This is the 1st time I visit your blog, really impressed me!! I likes the picture & your “clear cut” introduction. TQVM!! Since your “food hunting” project reached B’w, maybe next time you can try the Ipoh Hor Fun in “Lao Tee Fang” restaurant, located in Chai Leng Park. Hope you enjoy it as well!!

December 19th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Jocelyn – Happy to see you sharing your places with me. Will mark the place and will try it out.

March 15th, 2009 at 8:56 am
Bris77

When I was browsing thru yr post, MayFoong sounded very familiar.. and after seeing the pic, ie prawn on the koay teow.. umm, reminds good old times! This place has been my favourite since early 1990′s! My father wud always “tar pau” each time he drop by Butterworth. It’s a pity we do not have this in Pg Island.. sigh!! Wish have a stall like this :( so I don’t need to cross over the bridge! Your pic makes me hungry!

April 1st, 2009 at 10:19 am