***The restaurant has since closed down.

This is the first time, I step inside Bistro @Hardwicke. This restaurant is located on the ground floor of Hardwicke House, the well maintained bungalow sitting in the corner of Jalan Pangkor and Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, Penang. I still remember visiting this place years ago with KS when it was still Mr Ho’s Fine Foods, in which I tasted roast pork with apple sauce for the first time.

This Bistro is made up of two sections, the bar and the restaurant. The restaurant has a cozy ambiance and elegant decorations with a beautiful chandelier hanging down the dining hall.

P1110355

Besides ala carte, they do have on-going promotions and lunch set. I ordered a mixed green salad and the promotional Spaghetti Beef Bolognaise. The plate of spaghetti cost RM8.80 and surprisingly comes with generous amount of minced beef in rich tomato sauce, topped with herbs (more beef than spaghetti). It was served with a slice of toasted garlic bread.

P1110306

P1110314

Hubby is the only one having the set lunch. This set cost RM16.80, which is inclusive of the mixed green salad, pasta and a cup of coffee. It was a rather big serving of pasta with very fresh mussels in basil cream sauce.

P1110332

P1110344

My son opted for the Onion Steak Sandwich @RM25.80. All the sandwiches in Hardwicke comes with green salad and french fries.  There were slices of grilled beef, onions, cheese, cucumber and fresh tomatoes, sandwiched between two pieces of focasia bread. The bread were indeed fresh.

P1110326

P1110319

P1110334

This whole bungalow has a white exterior whereas the interior of the restaurant has a totally warm appearance of the red, yellow and white wall with a picture of the beautiful Miss Marilyn Monroe. There is even a sitting area for diners to chit-chat over a drink.

P1110525

P1110353

P1110299P1110397

P1110399P1110368

For dessert, we had the Chocolate Lava Cake @RM16.80 and freshly brewed coffee @RM6.00. The warm chocolate cake was served with my favorite Haagen Daaz vanilla ice cream. The hot warm chocolate melt goes fantastically well with the cold ice cream. It is very addictive and all of us love it.

Overall, a very satisfied meal. The combination of good food with reasonable prices and cozy ambiance makes this a perfect dining place. After trying out this light meal, I am sure my family and myself will be back soon to pamper ourselves with the steak and seafood. For more review on Bistro @Hardwicke, do check out this post presented by Lilian.

P1110373

P1110379

P1110359P1110408

This is definitely a nice place for a celebration or a gathering. Lunch hour is at 11.30 am – 2.30pm and it resumes for dinner at 6.30pm – 10.30pm. The bar is open from 11.30am – 12.00 midnight.

P1110392P1110396P1110393

Bistro @Hardwicke
67 Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah
10500 Penang
Tel : 04 2264998
Fax: 04 2283393

Click here for the Map Location.

***Updates (16/2/2009) : This place is no longer serving the above cuisine but instead serving North & South Indian Cuisine under the same management. The restaurant is now known as KHANNA.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, November 1st, 2008 at 12:36 am and is filed under Dessert, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

nice intro of the bistro…havent been there before…

the pasta with mussells and basil cream sauce look tasty….and haagen daaz ice cream for dessert somemore..

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Char Siew Pau & Lotus Leaves Glutinous Rice

November 1st, 2008 at 3:59 am

Is this Bistro is the same as Harvey’s ? There was Mr Ho’s Fine Food before the Wine Bar plus the area beneath the staircase took over. Mr Ho’s Fine Food was known in KL but what he delivered to Penang was below my expectation. I think that could be 1 of the reasons it’s gone. I like the coffee and chocolate beverages they served there from Italy brand Molinari but most of time I’m at Gleneagles for their Molinari beverages instead :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Magadip – Madurese Aromatic Chicken Stew

November 1st, 2008 at 5:06 am
SimpleGirl

the ambience is so nice! I am surprise to see the portion they served, is worth lei!
I am especially attracted to the dessert! I guess is a good palce for hanging out with frens ya!

November 1st, 2008 at 8:44 am

Frequent visitor to Mr Ho’s Fine Foods… haven’t try this at all……..will try once.

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food | Warung Kelapa Sawit – Kg Tok Kangar, Juru

November 1st, 2008 at 9:04 am

i went there once too … but quite some time ago before i started my food blog. food is not bad!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Company Buffet Lunch, Hotel Equitorial

November 1st, 2008 at 9:23 am

Tau Sar Phneah – Another more place for you to add to your food list.

Pixen – Not too sure whether it is the same as Harvey’s. Have not try out the main meaty meals yet but what I had was tasy and the freshly brewed coffee has the good oomph in it.

Simple Girl – This is my first visit under this new management. Surpringly prices of food is kept reasonable in such nice environment. Make sure you try the dessert…

November 1st, 2008 at 9:28 am

Penangtuapui – I have not visited this place since the last visit to Mr Ho’s. Definitely will go more often now…maybe get to see you there too…haha

Duckie – Its nice of you to share your review…gives me more reason to go back for another visit.

November 1st, 2008 at 9:33 am

I like the look of the building, so 60′s and 70′s such a preserve heritage, the food looks incredible and big portion worth the money spend but….. my opinion the decor looks too modern can be improve better!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

November 1st, 2008 at 10:06 am

aiyo! so cheap! Haagen Dazs ice cream some more?!! must-try. OK will definitely take note of this. thanks!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..PASTA de GOHAN @ Sunway Pyramid – Pasta, Re-Mixed?

November 1st, 2008 at 10:37 am

Big Boys Oven – This building is a real beauty…and is very ideal for a restaurant and even offices. With the reasonable prices, I think this outlet will make its way through as compared to the earlier ones.

J2kfm – The dessert sure was tempting…especially so with the Haagen Dasz icecream. I too was surprised to see it. Warm and cold dessert…yummy.

November 1st, 2008 at 11:06 am

wow…. this is indeed a nice place and the foods and desserts looks nice and cheap too. Gonna try that out soon. Too many places to try. lol Thanks for sharing!!!!

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Batu Maung Seafood restaurant

November 1st, 2008 at 3:01 pm
JT

i havent stopped drooling since I discovered thsi blog,…just a side note, I dun think the food prices will ever come down despite the fact tht the cruel oil price has halved compared to 6 months ago., there will always be another reason for the food sellers to legitimise their cost.

November 2nd, 2008 at 2:53 am

That’s a giant sandwich! And the lava cake looks to die for! I’ll have two of those, thank you!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..4 meals in Penang

November 2nd, 2008 at 6:18 am

Food Paradise – I am also surprise with their prices.

JT – I guess so…have not seen prices going down since the reduce in crude oil. Thanks for commenting.

550ml jar of Faith – There are also more choices…go and check it out.

November 2nd, 2008 at 8:48 am

Hehe, got to plan one half day leave to try out its set lunch odi. *wink*

cariso´s last blog post..The Sire Museum ????!

November 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 am

CK, The choco lava cakes already made me felt a MUST to go place…
TQ
Cheers
Carole

Carole Tan´s last blog post..Hock to Esplanade for Rojak ….

November 2nd, 2008 at 11:07 am

Actually I was supposed to attend a dinner meeting there last two weeks but I couldn’t make it. Or else I would have had the experience on how their buffet spread was for small functions.

Anyway, the bosses had just revamped their prices and food quantity recently. You did step in there just at the right time. :)

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – SUNSHINE BAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

November 2nd, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Cariso – You can also go on Sunday.

Carole Tan – If you happen to come across yummy food, do share with me ya…

Criz Lai – Wow…look like I went to try the food at the right time and indeed it was superb.

November 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 pm

I used to think that dinning at Harwick is very expensive and no way for the normal people to go there. Not after I read your post and knowing that the pricing is really reasonable. The most important is the ambiance and the environment there is classy and elegent. I have to plan a visit there :)

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Great Tandoori Chicken @ Kapitan, Lebuh Chulia

November 3rd, 2008 at 12:14 am

If I did not remember wrongly, they used to serve fine food, anfd it cost a bomb. Or was it Harvey’s?! Anyway, I would definitely go for the steal sandwich. It is hard to fine good steak sandwich here.

Next cooking experiment, would be smoke pork belly that we had at Edelwise previously. If successful, I will share the recipe wih you.

Jason WOng´s last blog post..Restaurant Lin (Lorong 7 Koay Teow Theng) at Raja Uda, Butterworth, Penang

November 3rd, 2008 at 7:13 am

Steven Goh – I have not try out their seafood and meat, not too sure about the prices, you can always check it out first but those pasta that I had is a steal…tasty and reasonable.

Jason Wong – The sandwich portion is filling and the combination of all the veg makes it very tasty.
It would be lovely to see your smoke pork belly and best if I get to taste it too…haha

November 3rd, 2008 at 10:39 am

The food looks good. i went there once but not going for the restaurant, i went to the cc computer on the second floor instead.

Spaghetti Beef Bolognaise looks so tempting. the pasta will it be too cheesy? sometimes, too much cheese will make it very “jik lak”.

allenooi´s last blog post..Seafood Hokkien Char @ Penang Chinese Chin Woo Athletic Association

November 3rd, 2008 at 4:34 pm

oh new place…look intresting…i have new place for gathering when visit penang~~

squall´s last blog post..Café Sentiment

November 3rd, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Allen Ooi – You were right about the pasta…we did share it out among ourselves too as it would be jik lak for one person to finish the whole plate.

Squall – Indeed a very suitable place for a dinner or even chit chating over a drink.

November 3rd, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Once I introduce my colleagues to dine there, ended up they came back and told me the place was unfriendly. Anyway, I’ve yet to try on my own.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Chain Ferry Road Curry Mee

November 4th, 2008 at 9:13 am

seem to overlook this place! went before when it was Mr Ho’s fine foods but found it pricey…
after seeing your review…can go try liao! :)

November 4th, 2008 at 5:34 pm

New Kid on the Blog – Surprisingly, my visit was fine, with friendly services.

Lingzie – Prices are much different from those of Mr Ho’s. I think you will love this cozy place :)

November 4th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I always went there but to the second floor. CG Computers Apple Mac Center …. never know they got serve foods … I always went there for a drink only ….

email2me´s last blog post..Recipe & Baking Guide for American Lemon Baked Cheese Cake

November 4th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

the set lunch really worth for money~~Big portion somemore serve with salad~

November 4th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Email2me – Looks like this is a suitable place for you…latest technology upstairs, plenty of food and a room for a drink.

Shell – Really is a good deal…pasta, salad plus a cup of strong coffee and in such a nice environment too.

November 5th, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I always thought the price there is far from normal. But what you had seems like a good deal and very yummy!! :)

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Little Castle

November 5th, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Nice food n very reasonable!

vkeong´s last blog post..Coming soon in next update

November 6th, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Always passed by this restaurant but never try before. At least I know what to expect now. Tks for the review. ;)

lk´s last blog post..FOODBUZZ

November 6th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Buzzingbee, Vkeong & lk – It is worth trying out the food with such attractive prices and value.
I am sure business would be good if they maintain it that way.

November 6th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

wow totally agree – looks like a good place for celebration.. plus its desserts!

November 7th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Quachee – There are so many more dishes and dessert that I love to try out and when I do, I will definitely share with all of you.

November 13th, 2008 at 2:00 pm
Daphne

is tat suit 4 family dinner…about 8ppl…

August 27th, 2009 at 12:37 pm
Daphne

my kids birthday next month so i plan to go for the dinner with my family…we mor prefer western rest…..so do u think tat bistro ok for us ?? i never been there b4

August 27th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Daphne – This restaurant is no longer on-going. The updated info is at the end of the post…it is now known as Khanna, serving Indian cuisine. Looks like you have to look for another place that serves Western Food.

August 27th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

is hardwicke again…no more khanna

December 5th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

been for buffet dinner. it was quite nice…

March 17th, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Edwin Cheow

Best buffet i have ever take. Keep on the good work.

June 11th, 2010 at 8:36 pm