* Update – The place has closed down!

Recently, a few of the Penang Food Bloggers were invited to a food tasting & review of Miss Saigon, Penang. This trendy Vietnamese restaurant located at the prime area of E-Gate with bustling atmosphere faces the Jelutong Expressway with the view extending out to the Penang Bridge. It was an opportunity for us to discover some unique Vietnamese cuisine, and also having able to taste all the food in this restaurant’s recently revamped menu. The new menu, which is pork free has a total of thirty-one new items with varieties ranging from salad, rice noodles, sandwiches and summer rolls.

I would like to add in a word of compliments to the Management of Miss Saigon for their innovative and forward thinking. I have come to know that the restaurant previously did not receive a lot of positive comments. As a pro-active team management, they have constructively used the feedback from the  bloggers to improve their menu and the restaurant as a whole.

p1120263.jpg

To start off with, we were served with glasses of warm water which has a fragrant pandan smell which I find it to be a very refreshing twist. You can also catch a glimpse of the newly launched menu below.

p1120044_resize.jpg

We were served with just about everything that is on the new menu. The dishes were served out gradually. The supervisor took the time to explain the finer details on the type of ingredients used. This gives us an extra insight into the effort and dedication that was put into the preparation of the dishes.

It was quite difficult to pick a winner among all these dishes of delicacy, and these are just some of the few that I am personally fond of. We started of with the summer rolls – there were numerous types of rolls with different wrapper. Some of the bloggers even have the opportunity to try rolling up the rolls. All these rolls  were a great start to a fantastic meal. Among the highlights were the hot crisp fried Hanoi roll and the Farmer’s egg roll.

p1120041_resize.jpg

p1120054_resize.jpg

p1120093_resize-1.jpg

p1120056_resize-1.jpg

p1120036_resize.jpg

Royal Seafood Skewer  – the different types of vegetable and seafood in the wooden skewer complement each other very well. The dipping sauces for this dish really tickles the taste buds.

p1120058_resize.jpg

There are a few exotic dishes in the menu and I find this particular sea snail dish very unique. The marination goes perfectly well with the meat which is mixed with plenty of coriander leaves. Another dish recommended is the Wok-fried Flower Beef with Pergularia which is very tasty.

p1120085_resize.jpg

p1120038_resize.jpg

The Grilled Chicken T-shaped Wings… they prepare it to look like drummettes; by cutting slits and pushing the meat to one end and subsequently grilling it till golden brown. I find the meat tender and very tasty even without the need to dip into the sauce.

p1120094_resize.jpg

Vietnamese Sandwiches and Rice Noodles…

Vietnamese Street Baguette and Vietnamese Noodles, both with choices of Chicken or Beef. The portion of the baguette could easily fill up the tummy for a light lunch. The noodles were identical to those of our Penang Assam Laksa with salad and mint leaves, which gives this dish a delightful and aromatic twist. All the food were pleasantly decorated and presented on white ceramic plate. Although prices for certain items are slightly on the higher end, it is still worth a venture.

Presently there is an on-going promotion of Vietnamese Street Food under the theme  “A Taste Of Vietnam” specially prepare by Chef Nguyen Duc Van who hails from Hilton Hotel of Hanoi.

p1120265.jpg

Among the bloggers that attended this session were Lingzie, CK Lam, Penang Tua Pui’s, Cariso, Jason & Gill, Allie, Steven Goh, Criz Lai, Allen Ooi, NickChan and a few others. We had a great time enjoying ourselves with all the delicious food and as usual, catching up with one other.

A candid shot of bloggers busy capturing the best shots of the served food.

This restaurant is open daily, running from 12pm to 12am.

Miss Saigon
Vietnamese Cuisine
1-01-15 E-gate
Lebuh Tunku Kudin 2
11700 Gelugor
Penang

Tel : 04 3776083

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 at 11:05 pm and is filed under Gelugor, International, Invited Review, Penang Restaurant, Vietnamese. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

walio so shiok lar! I also want to join you all one day, let’s make a date in this december!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

November 18th, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Big Boys Oven – It’s a great idea to meet up and join you in the makan trip.

November 19th, 2008 at 12:24 am

finally u also posted up! hehehe.

allenooi´s last blog post..Miss Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine Restaurant @ Penang e-Gate

November 19th, 2008 at 4:28 am

how do you all have the food review invitation? am impress la!!! and admire too!

November 19th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Allen Ooi – Looks like I am the last few bloggers to do it.

New Kid on the Blog – Criz asked me to come along to do this review.

November 19th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Hiyii CK, it was a pleasure meeting up with you though i did not get to catch up with most of you there. Hope to join you guys again soon back in Penang. C ya & take care!

CazzyCazz´s last blog post..Vietnamese Food in Penang? Miss Saigon It Is.

November 19th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

haha… finally we had you posted. And we are happy everyone enjoy the food testing arrangement.

November 19th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Cazzycazz – Do keep in touch.

Penang Tua Pui – Many of the photos didn’t turn out well but anyway, it was nice that everyone enjoyed themselves :)

November 19th, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Yeahh..reviews from friends were not that great previously but seems that they have made up for it eh?

thenomadgourmand´s last blog post..H- Factor Penang and Penang Food!

November 19th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

The Nomad Gourmand – They really take the initiative to improve themselves…thats a good start.

November 20th, 2008 at 9:39 am

Looks interesting with their new menu. ;)

lk´s last blog post..Great dish! This will come in handy on those days…

November 20th, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Do you need to ask permission to take pictures? I think since the owner knew your gathering there, he’s more happy to oblige LOL. That’s very good that they took the initiatives to upgrade their menus, quality of food and service(?)

pixen´s last blog post..Baked Pork With 3 Mushrooms

November 26th, 2008 at 3:56 am

lk – It takes many visits to try out all of the food…

Pixen – The owner was very kind and pesented the dishes gradually to let us take the pictures. They really take the effort to improve…thats a good thing.

November 26th, 2008 at 11:54 am
Lay Eng

Hi, I tried Ms Saigon on last month, I am very disappointed, too bad. I had very nice Vietnamese food at KL, specially the one at One U and Mid Valley. So I was very happy when I saw it at Penang. Too bad i didn’t get what I ate at KL, I tried the Beef Noodle, not good at all!! :(

November 26th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Lay Eng – You could try out their new menu, with plenty of street food.

November 26th, 2008 at 10:46 pm
ling

I have tried Miss Saigon and I’m disappointed. So far One Utama’s one is the best, I like their rice noodle. I tried Saigon’s rice noodle, it is totally very normal and I’m surprised that there isn’t any sauce given. Maybe I had set too high expectation because the nice vietnam food that I have in One U. Furthermore, not much choice of the drinks. When having the dinner, there is a flying bee inside the rice, omgness. I have tried once is enough, no more Miss Saigon for me.

February 6th, 2009 at 11:13 pm
annie

the most lousy vietnamese food i ever tasted!! the beef pho is totally tasteless!!

February 11th, 2009 at 11:05 pm
Yoelyn

People who have tried Vietnamese food in KL or Melbourne Little Vietnam in Richmond will definitely say Miss Saigon is not good at all. Beef noodles soup was tasteless and the spring roll was awful. Overall the food was no good. Been there once and it will be my last time. I have tried the original Pho in Hanoi by the roadside and it was excellent!! Hope they could do better or improve.

March 31st, 2009 at 5:58 pm
Intradayman

Agree wif Yoelyn, Little Saigon no biz lah, I work in Egate, tats why I know loh, the food not nice, If u wana know weather the food is nice or not, just look at the visitors, If banyak then nice loh, easy oni mah. Penang lang.. Gau ciak one..

April 4th, 2009 at 6:21 pm