***This restaurant has since shifted

Batu Maung in Penang is famous for its seafood restaurants and this time around we went to try out the food at Batu Maung Seafood Restaurant. Situated beside the Sam Poh Footprint Temple which is dedicated to Admiral Cheng Ho (Zhenghe), this restaurant has a splendid view of the rolling gentle sea with many fishing vessels which brings a sense of calmness to the mind. This view is definitely not to be missed especially at dawn and dusk.

p1120453.jpg

A night view showing the fishing boats dotting leisurely by the old wooden jetty.

p1120461.jpg

Indoor and outdoor seating with wonderful sea view.

We started off with the clams fried with finely chopped herbs, garlic and chilies. The shell were more tasteful then the flesh!!! This is followed by the Char Mee Suah while we waited for the other two dishes that required a longer preparation time.

p1120478.jpg

p1120473.jpg

Eventually, the claypot fish was served. It was cooked exactly to taste and not too salty, so much so one can eat it on its own. I would personally recommend adding in more coriander leaves so as to give the fish a more fresh green aroma.

img_2101.jpg

Last but not least, the Cheese Bake Oysters! The oysters were baked with a stuffing of chopped onions, spring onions and canned button mushroom in a creamy sauce. It is very tasty but a bit filling for one person to consume the whole oyster, so its best shared between two person.

p1120485.jpg

p1120492.jpg

Total bill for the food and drink is RM80 only! Thanks a lot to Food Paradise for recommending me this wonderful seafood restaurant, and it was indeed a great pleasure meeting her and her family there too!

p1120466.jpg

p1120464.jpg

Do follow this direction to get to this restaurant -  take the Coastal Highway/ Bayan Lepas Expressway towards Batu Maung (the highway behind all the firms at the Free Trade Zone). Coming to the end of the expressway, you will reach the traffic lights. Go straight and after short distance, take the first left turn. From there onwards, the road will lead you up a small hill passing the War Museum. After the museum, you can park the car on the left side (flat land) or the right (on the hill top). Click for the Map Location.

A picture of Admiral Cheng Ho (Zhenghe) on the huge rock leading towards the temple and restaurant.

Batu Maung Seafood Restaurant
205 BLK-k, MK-12, Batu Maung
11960 Bayan Lepas
Penang.

Tel:04 6266712

Business Hours: 11.30am -2.30pm and 6.00pm-11.00pm

Places of Interest Nearby : Sam Poh Footprint Temple and the War Museum

*Updates : 29/9/10 – The restaurant has since shifted to a nearby location, infront of the Pan Mutiara Restaurant.
The new contact number is 04 6266928 and it is known as Ocean Batu Maung Seafood Restaurant.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, December 5th, 2008 at 6:56 pm and is filed under Batu Maung, Chinese, Penang Restaurant, Seafood, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

now I recall this restaurant.. which so familiar.. yet i can’t remember it when i tell us during the rasa malaysia meet up…

but i still prefer the hai boey punya claypot fish……..

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food | Wong Chau Jun – Fish Head Beehoon

December 5th, 2008 at 8:34 pm

i love this place!!

duckie´s last blog post..Edelweiss Cafe, Armenian Street

December 5th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

I double check my blog, we ordered the steamed garlic kappa on my 1st visit. lol Dunno why they tell you they don’t. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..7 Random Things About Me

December 5th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

lk´s last blog post..Fried shallots

December 5th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I luv the tranquil night view! The price seems quite reasonable for a seafood dinner. ;)

lk´s last blog post..Cod fish with miso paste (pan-fry)

December 5th, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I could not describe it… though Singapore has no lack of good eating places, the feeling of dining in Malaysia’s seaside is always better!

There is a rustic charm behind Malaysia’s seaside dining… a natural rustic charm that is lacking in Singapore.

Singapore Short Stories´s last blog post..Mario

December 5th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

U have all rolled in with natural seabreeze, nice view, good food and with history folded in, Penang is unique.

JENCOOKS´s last blog post..Eat Out in Japan —– RAMEN BAYASHI

December 6th, 2008 at 12:43 am

the clams and the oyster looks really good! i’m not a fan of oysters but this cheese backed version may just suit my palate! :)

lingzie´s last blog post..Duck Meat Koay Teow Th’ng Off Campbell Street

December 6th, 2008 at 9:13 am

Penangtuapui – Have been to Hai Boey many times but did not try their claypot version, will look out for it…

Duckie – Nice environment with tasty food.

Food Paradise – Will sure to order the steam garlic kappa on the next round.

lk – Good prices and very fresh food!

December 6th, 2008 at 9:53 am

Singapore Short Stories – That’s true…dining in this environment is really nice and relaxing.

Jencooks – Do visit this place should you come to Penang. You can do sightseeing and eating at the same place.

Lingzie – I was surprised to see cheese backed oyster in this Chinese restaurant. They are very well done and tasty…must try.

December 6th, 2008 at 10:12 am

That clam dish looks truly to die for! I can just imagine the burst of flavours just from sucking on the shells! Great place, have to find some time this weekend to pay a visit!

December 6th, 2008 at 12:22 pm

all the seafood look very fresh and delicious…
and the most important is very cheap…

squall´s last blog post..1122????? @ IKETERU

December 6th, 2008 at 11:30 pm

550ml jar of faith – Do try to squeeze in some of your time to try out the food before you leave.

Squall – Its good food with reasonable prices and nice view too.

December 7th, 2008 at 12:26 am

I’m dying to grab some cheese baked oyster soon but then I’m also planning to watch my waist line too. Now it’s a war between seafood and my tummy.. LOL!

p.s. I’m still gobbling sushi now :P I love the sushi you brought there. :)

Criz Lai´s last blog post..3RD PENANG FLOGGERS MEET – POTLUCK GATHERING

December 7th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

this is awesome, looks so awesome delicious and not either expensive!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

December 8th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Criz Lai – When you really feel like having the oyster, do remember to visit this place lor.

Big Boys Oven – Maybe you can visit this place during your Penang trip if you have the time.

December 8th, 2008 at 10:50 pm

The clams look good. The cooking style and ingredients reminded me of baked escargot, well sans the baked part.

Lip-smacking, that’s for sure! :)

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Popeyes @ Changi Terminal 3

December 9th, 2008 at 9:24 am

You were in the South for dinner. Next time, you can try Telok Tempoyak Ikan Bakar if you havent tried it. :)

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

December 9th, 2008 at 11:05 am

oh thats cheap and good. thanks!

i’m desperately seeking for good seafood in Penang. anywhere with BIG crabs? :)

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Santini @ Jaya One

December 9th, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Nic (KHKL) – The clams are damn good and btw you do have a way of expressing the food.

Soo Sean – Will bear it in mind as I do love eating Ikan Bakar…thanks.

J2kfm – You can try out the crabs at Crab Village. Check out this link…. http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/11/dinning-with-rasa-malaysia-crab-village-restaurant-penang/

December 9th, 2008 at 10:19 pm
mastermind

your direction to the restaurant is misleading. You do not pass by war musuem to go to this restaurant

March 15th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for sharing some of their nice dishes.. Now I can bring my dad here too as he wanted to try out cheese baked oysters.
I tried this place a couple of weeks ago and one of its dishes tasted pretty unique – mini sotong.. will post it up soon! :)

August 7th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Out-door dining along the seashore is always appealing especially if the places are not fooded with tourist. I’m afraid I’ll have to chose between this one and Hai Boey on our coming visit in a few weeks. I don’t think we’ll have time to try both… unless we do it the same evening?
So Ms Lam, if you had to chose between the two places, which one would you suggest for a first visit?
JP

August 28th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

mastermind – thanks for the info.

Cheryl – The mini sotong sounds good – a new dish for me to try out.

Jay-P. – Both has equally tasty and good food. If it rains, go for this restaurant, and if the weather is nice and cooling, go for the one in Hai Boey.

August 29th, 2009 at 11:14 pm
jesterG

This place served really good seafood. I vaguely remember the tantalizing oysters & mantis prawns. It’s such a pity that they have closed down. Or at least, that’s what i heard! If possible, please do let me know if I should be disappointed when I get back to Penang next summer. Thanks!

December 20th, 2009 at 1:32 am
Daniel

Hi ck lam, thought this place offering cheaper seafood than gurney or batu ferringi but SURPRISINGLY they charged me RM 55/kg for meat crab!!! Damn expensive!! Is it because we r not local??

February 28th, 2010 at 7:59 pm
Daniel

Think u should black listed this batu maung sea food next to zheng he temple!!!
They r not honest at all. Served us two small crabs that defintely less than 1kg n we argue with them, first another waitress came n said tot it may not 1kg but by min order if 2s but then we check out it listed rm58 the other way round higher! Even the 2nd waitress slipped mouth ask the first person order ” not 50/kg meh?”
then after argue they return to us rm44. Damn black rsmestaurant

February 28th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Daniel – Sad to hear about your outing at this restaurant. I definitely will make a note of this cos the prices are real high.

February 28th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I tried to ring the restaurant, the number is not in service? Any idea what number can I call to book a table? Thanks.

Hi Lydia, have just updated the new location and contact number in the post.

September 30th, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Shirley

Hi, need to know if this restaurant location is still by the sea side? Still have nice ambience and local seafood?

I have yet to visit the new location.

November 12th, 2010 at 11:54 am
Loulou

Hu Hu HU… i’m going to try this out tonight!! yeay!!! yeay!! yeay!!

December 10th, 2010 at 6:34 pm
Steve

Hi thanks for sharing
Btw i notice you put a updates of the new contact numbers changed, did this shop move away from zheng ho temple too ?
thanks!

I am not too sure as I have yet to revisit the place since it has shifted.

December 20th, 2010 at 9:59 pm
Marcus

I think no longer there anymore

April 16th, 2011 at 6:13 pm
Tua Pui Kia

This restaurant no longer there. Do you have any idea where did it move CK? My other half love the food from this restaurant.

Not too sure but I will try to get more info of it.

October 8th, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Kah Yean Wong

I went there yesterday. Unfortunately the owner of the restaurant told me that this restaurant no longer open because of the land issue. Currently the owner of the land wanna take it back.

Thanks K.Y. Wong

March 7th, 2013 at 11:57 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. OCEAN Batu Maung Seafood Restaurant ?????? | Now Eating    Sep 20 2010 / 4pm:

[...] me for dinner. Googled around and found my friends, FoOdPaRaDiSe (here, here, and here) and CK (here) recommended this restaurant so we decided to pay it a [...]