Dec

Penang Coconut Jelly

Posted by: CK Lam   in Dessert, Drinks, George Town, Penang

I stumbled upon this shop selling coconut jelly in Dato Kramat Road, Penang. According to Mr Joez the proprietor, the coconut are grown in Perak and are of the pandan species. To form the jelly, the outer husk of the coconut is initially removed and then roasted in the oven. After a cooling period, they are then placed in the cooler room. During this period, jelly will be formed…definitely a new innovation. He assured us that no additive or artificial chemical is added. The jelly is formed through the hot and cold process.

p1120753_0.jpg

Out of curiosity, I bought some home. The coconut can be open up easily as the top was already cut open for the convenience of the customers. Inside, you will get the yummy coconut flesh but with less coconut water as some of it has formed into jelly. You will be surprise to find a large amount of smooth jelly in there. The coconut flesh can be easily removed from the shell using a spoon.

p1120763.jpg

p1120756.jpg

According to Mr Joez, the coconut must be kept in the refrigerator and will last only for a week. After that, it will turn moldy or sour as no preservative are added. Suitable as a dessert for any entertaining events.

p1120746.jpg

p1120744.jpg

p1120827.jpg

The shop is open for business from early morning to late afternoon. It is a few houses away from the Patani Road Police Headquarters. Click here for the Map Location.

Penang Coconut Jelly
201, Jalan Dato Kramat
10150 Penang

Contact Joe at 016 440 9049
Email : joezcoco@yahoo.com

penang-coconut-jelly-laber.jpg

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, December 1st, 2008 at 12:28 am and is filed under Dessert, Drinks, George Town, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Something new, haven’t had any chance to try that out yet. Not sure wat type of technology they used to turn the water to jelly. Really want to go and interview the indian pak chek. Nice sharing

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Fantastic Food, Resonable Price and Cosy Ambience @ Chin Bee Tea Cafe

December 1st, 2008 at 12:40 am

last time i did thai coconut jelly in cup never try in coconut shell ..cool ^^must try oneday

fly´s last blog post..?????????

December 1st, 2008 at 6:54 am

So amazing? What a magic power from the hot-cool process.

little inbox´s last blog post..Sweet & Sour Pork Chop

December 1st, 2008 at 8:15 am

never seen coconut jelly in the coconut shell itself!!! i love coconut water and usually go to the one in abu siti lane.

duckie´s last blog post..Unknown Fruit

December 1st, 2008 at 8:47 am

Steven Goh – You should go and interview the boss… they took the time to explain it to me too.

Fly – You can also eat it on the spot.

Little Inbox – I was amazed too when I saw it.

Duckie – I used to go there …they have different variety but not this coconut jelly.

December 1st, 2008 at 9:39 am

Jelly inside the coconut? Whoa.. that’s new for me… interesting…. gotta try it

Selba´s last blog post..Homecooked: baked potato & pork

December 1st, 2008 at 9:43 am

This is sure a cool one. Would love to try out..

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..How to Save a Sinking Sofa………

December 1st, 2008 at 10:24 am

Selba – Its new for me too…worth checking it out.

Sweet Jasmine – Its tasty and refreshing…good for entertaining friends.

December 1st, 2008 at 10:30 am
Tan

Thanks CK for the finding!!!! Keep it up!!

December 1st, 2008 at 11:08 am

too cooling for my body. :(

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Opera

December 1st, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I did try it before, indeed very nice and refreshing….

December 1st, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Tan – Thanks! Nice to know that you are still on track with my blog…haha

New Kid on the Blog – I also know quite a number of people that can’t take cooling food.

Ginna – Nice to hear that from you :)

December 1st, 2008 at 2:32 pm

oh i rmbr trying something like this in Ipoh, years ago!

some sort of delicacy liao. very hard to find. coconut jelly … yummy!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Nam Chun @ Lucky Garden, Bangsar – Perk YOUR Morning Up with a bowl of Sarawak Laksa

December 1st, 2008 at 3:25 pm

This is so amazing! So essentially, you scoop up the jelly with tender coconut flesh?! How wonderful on scorching hot days!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Sri Nirwana Maju, Bangsar

December 1st, 2008 at 4:24 pm
Tan

I always be here one la unless go overseas!! Keep the post coming. I tried the coconut jelly just now well its nice and something different i should say!

December 1st, 2008 at 5:45 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Ooh…I had this before and gosh, it is so so refreshing, esp if its chilled – I had forgotten all about it!! I bought mine from a shop (that for the life of me I cannot remember the name!!) at Sungai Ara.

December 1st, 2008 at 6:19 pm

aiyo.. i need to try this liao lo…. so unique… and special….

wonder if Fei Fei had this before…. as it is near to his house…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Hawker Food | Roti Canai – Transfer Road

December 1st, 2008 at 8:35 pm

J2kfm – Its good to know that Ipoh also has it, good as more people get to enjoy it.

550ml jar of faith – A good combo of cold coconut flesh and jelly…two in one.

Tan – Wow…super fast lor, already tasted it. Salute you, Tan.

December 1st, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Kaya Mee Koo – Good to have it in Sg Ara too. Do update me the place should you come across it again.

Penang Tua Pui – It is very refreshing…specially good on a hot day. Can buy back some home for keeping as it can last for a week in the fridge.

December 1st, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Interesting! Going to Penang soon, will try to find this.

Lydia´s last blog post..Kimchi

December 1st, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Eh naturally formed jelly? It’s pretty sweet tho. A fruit seller below my flat sells it. Hehe.

December 1st, 2008 at 10:57 pm

i try this before but in Sri Rambai’s morning market there…but that person dint sell d…it is really tasty^^

Juann´s last blog post..not bad not bad

December 1st, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Sounds and looks interesting! Coconut drink is my hubby’s favourtie. Must check it out. ;)

lk´s last blog post..Sushi rolls ???

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:04 am

Wow. Looks interesting. Must try it out lar. By the way, I’ve passed you a meme. do hop over to check it out.

Foong´s last blog post..Seven things about me, awards and memes

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:08 am

Lydia – You can always contact me, I can show you the way.

Jian – This one is not sweet… no sugar is added…just nice.

Juann – No worries…you can still get it from this shop.

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:38 am

lk – And it is superb tasty too…

Foong – Wow…me getting a meme from you, my blogger friend. Please give me some time to do it…

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:48 am

hi CK, never got around to congratulating you on your move to this new URL. And thanks for the coconut jelly entry. It’s an eye-opener for me! Now I know what I had during my husband’s company outing last month. I had thought jelly was plonked into the coconut ;). Keep up the great work on the food findings! Another time, you’ve got to share with us how you stay so slim while sampling the best in Penang and the northern region. take care CK! jane

Jane Lee´s last blog post..Concert

December 2nd, 2008 at 10:15 am
Ryan^83^

The coconut jelly is very common in Kedah & Perlis. U can get it in most of the Thai restaurant. I used to stay there n i bought them home for few times. The one i have will taste better as slices of coconut meat were cut out & mixed in the jelly ;>

December 2nd, 2008 at 10:32 am

I love coconut jelly, but I didn’t know that it is made through hot and cold process. I even thought of making it by using agar-agar powder. :p

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

December 2nd, 2008 at 11:33 am

Jane Lee – Its good to see your comment after a lapse of time…thanks for your sweet words. Do stay in touch.

Ryan83 – Nice of you to share the way they serve the coconut in the other states.

Soo Sean – That’s a great thought…can try it out. Pls share with me your experience in the preparation.

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:27 pm
Momo

I can see ‘serbuk jelly’ as part of the (bahan bahan) ingredients.I believe it’s the type that’s made in Thailand.So, if there are no additives as claimed, why the ‘serbuk jelly’ stated as part of the ‘bahan bahan’?

I think this ‘jelly powder’ is added to the coconut water thus resulting in the ‘jelly in the coconut’. There’s no other way the water can ‘jellify’ by itself.

Since the coconuts are already cut opened at the top I believe the water is then drained from them, mixed with the powder and then poured back into the shell. Jellies made using this powder can set at room temperature but when you eat it you’ll know its the powder type (vs the agar agar strand type).If the coconut is uncut when bought, then that’s something else………

Anyway,I will buy the coconut when I’m next in that area and give it a try.Don’t really care how its made as long as it’s nice to eat.

December 2nd, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Momo – Very nice to see you dropping by my blog and thanks for sharing your views.
Would like to hear from you again after you have tasted it.

December 3rd, 2008 at 12:26 am

it is a very nice and refreshing things to have in a hot day. And it can store for a week. Next time will drop by and take away one. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Domino’s Pizza

December 3rd, 2008 at 9:36 am

Food Paradise – Do tell me if you like the taste…

December 6th, 2008 at 12:35 pm
Ryan^83^

One more thing to share: a coconut jelly is sold at RM2.50-3.00 there, cheaper than our Penang one ;)

December 9th, 2008 at 10:03 am

Interesting. Never know got such thing. Will definitely drop by the place and try it out :)

Chen´s last blog post..Marmite Breadstick

December 9th, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Ryan83 – Thanks for the info…

Chen – Can spot the shophouse easily…between the market and police headquarters.

December 9th, 2008 at 10:11 pm
jeff

Hello, I was browsing through your food blog and notice this Cocunut Jelly stuff. Actually there is no special method to produce this jelly. You can even do it on your own. Place the whole cocunut in your freezer. After it has been frozen, place it down the fridge. Once the cocunut has been frozen, it won’t change back its property into liquid but instead in jelly form. I have done this before. Do tyry it yourself. Cheers!

March 13th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

jeff – Thanks for sharing this info…its cool. Will try to do it according to your instruction.

March 13th, 2009 at 6:43 pm
TJ

Wonderful site . “Ngam sai ” i am a food lover.
Good work keep it up god bless.

March 18th, 2009 at 3:57 pm
Girly

I had just tried this coconut jelly last two weeks which was bought from a friend. I still remember the wonderful taste of it and has been searching the web to find it until I came across your blog. It’s great to know there are still many other nice foods in Penang too. I will try to find this coconut stall to consume it again soon.

April 1st, 2009 at 2:37 pm

TJ – Glad that you like it. Do drop in for updates.

Girly – Just follow the map and you can always call up the owner to enquire.

April 2nd, 2009 at 9:33 am
Bris77

After reading your blogs on coconut jelly, I have been eating them on weekly basis since few weekends ago. Very cooling on sunny hot days! Thanks fr blogging it out :)

April 2nd, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Bris77 – So far, I receive good comments. Looks like most people like this coconut jelly including me too.

April 2nd, 2009 at 2:33 pm
amelia

wow great to know coco jelly is sold in Penang too. My friends have gone crazy over it when i 1st intro it to them in Perlis (it’s made in Thai & imported there). So now i don need susah payah always go perlis tapau for them haha!

April 14th, 2009 at 5:55 pm

amelia – Many people like the coconut jelly, especially on a hot day. Now you can get it here, so convenient :)

April 14th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I found the coconut jelly shop on my second attempt. I’m sorry to be a wet blanket, but while it is nothing special. As I suspected, they use JELLY POWDER to make the jelly. I asked 3 different employees in Tamil and they confirmed it! Hope they don’t get into trouble with Joez

April 25th, 2009 at 9:13 pm

This is cool, I’ve tried coconut jelly before in KL, but not this from Penang. If I’ve the chance i wanna try. Thanks for sharing, nice photos!

Mindy´s last blog post..Say YES to Anplas-Bag!!!

April 26th, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Lysanne

something different for dessert.. cool and refreshing.

May 1st, 2009 at 2:21 am

suyin – It’s pretty alright to share your views.

Mindy – You are most welcome.

Lysanne – Can buy some and keep at home too.

May 4th, 2009 at 2:07 pm
Pinker

I ald try it yesterday, but feel like not so good compare with i ate at Bukit kayu Hitam, Kedah.

May 15th, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Pinker – I did not have the opportunity to try those from Bukit Kayu Hitam…anyway thanks for the info.

May 21st, 2009 at 12:33 am
Jocelyn Ho

first time i ate coconut jelly was at Siam Food place near Politeknik Jitra. They brought in from Thailand.

May 22nd, 2009 at 11:09 pm
Jocelyn Ho

coconut jelly – the one I had at Thai Food Restaurant near to Politeknik Jitra was nice…i think this idea was from Thailand…

May 22nd, 2009 at 11:11 pm
Pete

I tried this last Monday whilst on holiday in Penang – VERY nice!!

June 10th, 2009 at 11:58 am

Jocelyn Ho – Thanks for the updates.

Pete – Glad to know that. Most of my readers like this new dessert.

June 10th, 2009 at 2:10 pm
S K Ong

May I know the jelly powder is it suitable for vegetarian ? Because some jelly powder contain gelatin from animal. Can u let us know.Thank you.

June 29th, 2009 at 11:30 pm

i have always passed this shop but i never knew about this place having coconut jelly. usually for coconuts i would go to abu siti lane.

but i definitely have to try this ! :D

*offtopic* by any chance are you mouyen’s mum ?

satkuru´s last blog post..Urbanscapes – H1N1 ?

July 10th, 2009 at 11:45 pm

S K Ong – For the info, it’s best to confirm it with the owner, Joe at 016 440 9049.

satkuru – This jelly is highly recommended and love by most of my readers. Give it a try.
Looks like you guess it right. I hope you are doing fine in your working life now and thanks for visiting by my food blog. Do drop by again for more updates ya :)

July 11th, 2009 at 8:02 am
Vincent Khor

My wife and I tried this coconut jelly in a hot and hazed afternoon 4pm…
Cool and refreshing with superb pure coconut smell and taste… brought 2 pcs back for my family as well….
The owner of the shop is so so so friendly..
speak good english and hokkien..

July 16th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Vincent Khor – Indeed nice to see you enjoying the jelly…thanks for sharing it with me too :)

ck lam´s last blog post..Penang Chu Char at Anson Park Seafood

July 16th, 2009 at 11:20 pm
adynan

it’s not a pure water without additive. actually it is a coconut water cook with a jelly powder and sugar, then they filled it back into the coconut and seal it back. It’s not what they claimed cook in the oven. I produce it my self

October 24th, 2009 at 2:38 am
jambo

hi, wat a refreshing coconut jelly its so nice ….i luv it guys

November 8th, 2009 at 1:34 pm
HK

Jeff, I had tried to frozen whole coconut in freezer, defrost in fridge the next morning, it doesnt work at all???? How???

January 6th, 2010 at 12:03 pm
pacatking

Can anyone tell me the coconut has been cutted open on the top or the coconut meat still attached together before we open it up? Pls give me the answer soon else I cant sleep and keep wondering….

January 6th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

pacatking – The coconuts are sold cut open on the top with the cover attached and the whole nut wrapped up in a cling wrap. Inside the coconut, the flesh is still attached to the nut.

January 6th, 2010 at 7:18 pm
How Silly

How nieve can you get. It’s just agar powder mix poured back into the shell. You guys..?? My gosh…what happen to all the years of education..hmmm…

March 14th, 2010 at 3:26 am
Meichan

I bought the jelly today…but I noticed the halal label has been covered with blue marker… I bought 6 coconuts to gv to frens, and one fren stated that. Wonder why is that?? Bcoz some frens got little bit uncomfy about that now and so do I…. do u know why?

March 27th, 2010 at 8:55 pm
jade ang

i tried it for the first time when i went back to Penang for a short holiday after 3 years…. my friend bought me there and i couldn’t have enough of it…. its absolutely stunning, esp on a hot scorching day, sitting by the beach!!!!!! i am not sure if i could find it in KL though…..

April 3rd, 2010 at 1:43 pm
joez

hi, frenz im joe here the founder of Penang coconut jelly…..
answer for meichan:-
i can’t put the halal logo anymore bcoz I dont have any ISLAM staff working wit me..this is what the Jabatan Islam told me otherwise i’ll get SAMAN. thanks for ur support frenz

April 6th, 2010 at 1:59 pm
wai

this coconut jelly is lousy, not nice, the one in aboo siti lane is better

December 24th, 2010 at 5:50 pm
wai

tried before, not nice, the jelly is too watery

December 24th, 2010 at 6:13 pm
Sarah

Gurney drive has these… The jelly is much more harder… not so soft like some…

Just had them during Xmas!!

Awww, I miss my hometown

January 3rd, 2011 at 7:31 am

1. Penang Hawker Food - Window Sherbet (Ais Tingkap) | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 16 2008 / 11am:

[...] Penang we always go for ice kacang and cendol as our desert. Recently, I have posted coconut jelly in my blog and it created awareness among my readers. I just got to know through Ken of Foodpoi of [...]

2. Buzzing with FOOD :: Joez Coconut Jelly :: July :: 2009    Jul 04 2009 / 8am:

[...] that’s exactly how I feel. Now I long for this dessert again while writing this!! Hop over to CK’s post if you are wondering how it is made. She managed to ‘interview’ the [...]

3. Penang Food Trip with Malaysia Airlines | KAMPUNGBOYCITYGAL    Feb 22 2010 / 1pm:

[...] were very fortunate to have CK Lam, the famous food blogger from Penang. She brought us to this coconut jelly place at Jalan Dato [...]

4. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:
  5. MAS Bloggers, Penang Makan Trip | My Story    Dec 01 2011 / 12am:

[...] CK Lam did a very good review on their coconut jelly. Do view her post here. [...]