There are numerous restaurants and pubs in Gurney Drive, Penang and recently a new cafe has opened its door. The Coffee Island cafe which is lighted up with colourful bulbs does bring colours to the popular seaside promenade in Penang. It has a large open air sitting area and also an air condition room.

p1130044.jpg

Hubby and myself settled in the sitting area under the stars as the night was cooling.  On the table was the food menu which is printed on a piece of paper and a pencil. It featured lots of beverages, street food and variety of oriental and western dishes, just like another modern kopitiam.

The beverages we had were the Ice Vietnam Coffee RM6.90 (can be serve either hot or cold) and the Hazelnut Mocha Ice Blended RM7.50. The Coffee came out rather fast but my Mocha came twenty minutes later. Both drinks are recommended.

p1130932.jpg

p1130947.jpg

Not being too hungry after a late teatime, we chose the Crispy Jade Roll RM5 and the Grill Fish Honey Mustard RM10.50.  The rolls are  deliciously done. The fish is a bit sweet due to the honey and the texture of the mashed potato reminds me of those smooth and creamy ones served in Kentucky.

p1130944.jpg

p1130945.jpg

p1130964.jpg

I am likely to come back again to try out the other dishes plus the many  types of toast. Overall, this cafe is a nice place to hang out and chill with friends, whether it’s for a meal or just a drink. It has Wi-Fi and and you can even do live blogging here too.

p1130918.jpg

p1130924.jpg

p1130927.jpg

A drive along Gurney Drive will lead you to this cafe which is just beside Crepe Cottage. There is a big parking space just beside this cafe but I do not recommend parking your vehicle there as it can be obstructed by other late comers. Even the parking attendant was having difficulty shouting for the owners to remove their cars. It is advisable to park along Persiaran Gurney.

Business hours are from from 11am right till the next day 3am.  The kitchen is open till 12 midnight but box snack is available until 2.30am before closing. Click here for the Map Location.

Coffee Island
77 Persiaran Gurney
10250 Penang

Tel : 04 2272377 (Updated  on 9/1/09)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, December 19th, 2008 at 3:43 pm and is filed under Cafe, Dessert, Drinks, Gurney Drive, Penang, Pork Free, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

looks real good!!! i love coffee!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Two Six Banana Leaf Restaurant, Burma Road

December 19th, 2008 at 4:20 pm

beside Crepe Cottage? last time chinese restaurant or curry fish head is it?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..A Day’s Out in Taiping (Kum Loong Dimsum & Mr.BBQ)

December 19th, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I would like to try out the Vietnam Coffee.

Allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Fried Lok Lok @ Gurney Drive

December 19th, 2008 at 5:20 pm

WOW, nice ambiance! Curious for the Vietnamese coffee, must try!!!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Fruits Rojak – Canning Garden

December 19th, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Ooh looks like they’re going to give Mr Pot a run for their money! The more competition the better!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Happy Hakkas at Ying Ker Lou, The Curve

December 19th, 2008 at 5:38 pm
Penang Tionghua

Sounds like or could be mistaken for an outlet of Island Red Cafe at Krystal Point.

Island Red Cafe recently opened its 2nd Penang Outlet at Raja Uda, Butterworth on 16 Dec 2008; a stone throw away and in juxtaposition to Petronas, if one comes from Mak Mandin direction.

December 19th, 2008 at 5:58 pm

I wanted to drop by there after the Sunset Bistro outing but the place wasn’t open for business yet. The place should be great for little parties :)

Criz Lai´s last blog post..PULAU AMAN FLOATING RESTAURANT

December 19th, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Duckie – There are others…worth trying. Do go and have a try.

J2kfm – Suddenly now, I can’t recall…maybe the readers can share this with us.

Allie & Simple Girl – The Vietnam coffee is inviting…

December 19th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

550ml jar of faith – More competition will benefit us…good.

Penang Tionghua – I saw it when I was around that area last Sunday. They were unpacking the furniture. Thanks for sharing the info.

Criz Lai – It was just open recently and already filled with customers…and very good idea having small gathering there too :)

December 19th, 2008 at 7:44 pm

OMG …. must stop by there for a cup of my fav Vietnam ice coffee ….. It is just like what I had in Ho Chi Minh city …. but cheaper

email2me´s last blog post..The Evolution Of Food POI’s Food Photography

December 19th, 2008 at 8:34 pm

I saw Coffee Island last week. In fact, my hubby want to try it out today but end up we went to other places. lol Will definitely drop by one day for the coffee and mocha.

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..AH’BASRI Detoxified Satay

December 19th, 2008 at 8:35 pm
Penang Tionghua

The 3rd Island Red Cafe Outlet is rushing for time to open for Christmas. Location is behind Jusco Aeon at Bandar Perda De’ Rendezvous – Jalan Perda Selatan, Bukit Mertajam

December 19th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

A nice and clean modern coffee shop! Ideal place for hang out.

lk´s last blog post..Millet porridge

December 20th, 2008 at 12:35 am

wah… the coffee looks nice. Not sure about the aroma of the coffee until smell that. However, from the pic it seems like the ambience is very nice and cozy. Is a must to try out. Will go during this Christmas :)

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Oversea Famous Curry Fish Cake @ Mummy Fang Otak

December 20th, 2008 at 1:38 am

Hmm another competitor to Mr. Pots along Gurney Drive. Mr Pots certainly showed the potential of establishing a chilling area in Gurney and I guess Coffee Island is doing it in a bigger scale now!

Great review though…I’m sure Coffee Island owner will be well informed. I’ll go tell him on behalf of you…hehe he’s my friend’s relative LOL

desmond-t´s last blog post..Restaurant Kolam Ikan, Mahang, Kulim

December 20th, 2008 at 4:03 am

Email2me – Didn’t know that you like to drink Vietnam ice coffee too.

Food Paradise – Looks like you are on a makan spree too…your blog has lots of nice food.

Penang Tionghua – Wow…another outlet, more convenient for the people.

lk – You can still chill out in this place before your journey back home.

Steven Goh – Maybe I can get to see you around there…haha

Desmond-t – In that case, can you let the owner know that he has the place very well done up.

December 20th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Wah, you are so fast. They just only opened and you’ve tried them out!

Foong´s last blog post..Japanese Sukiyaki Soup

December 20th, 2008 at 6:40 pm
Tan

CK this one open by Yean uncle! Yes the respond was very very good indeed. Hope u hv a good time over there

December 20th, 2008 at 6:56 pm

hi ck lam..
i’m glad that you posted on this place.
i got to agree with u that the food is not bad, and most importantly, the price is reasonable.

I was there just now, but i was given poor/bad service.
If you know the owner, kindly feedback to him that his school-leavers staff were not doing their job well. :)

meimeizoe´s last blog post..Coffee Island, Gurney Penang

December 21st, 2008 at 1:40 am

Good…another nice cafe along Gurney Drive. Wonder if its open 24hrs like Mr.Pot.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..No Tang Yeun For Me This Year……

December 21st, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Foong – Saw this place on the way back home from a shopping trip and drop in for a snack.

Tan – That’s good. Maybe Yean can help tell her uncle about its slow service to the customers. It is indeed a great place in a good location.

Meimeizoe – Hope the owner will look into the customer complains and improve from there.

Sweet Jasmine – Oops… forgot about that point…will update it soon :)

December 21st, 2008 at 5:37 pm
Tan

In fact CK we also find the service really sucks! Especially when you want to pay! My god! Next time maybe you can park yr car behind there is a small road but a bit dark.

December 21st, 2008 at 7:33 pm

the Vietnam coffee looks interesting.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Nippon Yataimura

December 22nd, 2008 at 8:05 am

Everything looks nice :)

Nice place.. nice coffee.. nice food…

Selba´s last blog post..Jajanan Pasar Singkong

December 22nd, 2008 at 11:10 am

Lovely photos! must be your new camera! :)

December 22nd, 2008 at 11:38 am

aiks….. so many ppl commetn about this place aldy….

hmmm.. seems like we are far left behind… it is time to catch up on new and happening places to hang out.

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Star View New Word Park – Fei Fei Farewell Lunch

December 22nd, 2008 at 2:28 pm
Ryan^83^

Wow CK, you are fast! Seems like a nice place for chit chatting ;> The price looks reasonable too for the Gurney area.

December 22nd, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Tan – Its new and the place is quite big…give them some time to train their workers and improve their service…then it should be perfect.

New Kid on the Blog – Do try it out, plus the many other colourful and attractive drinks.

Selba – This type of kopitiam is an in-thing in Penang lately and this is one huge one located in the tourist area.

Big Boys Oven – It is a different camera but unfortunately not the one that I am aiming to buy.

Penangtuapaui – Call the rest and we can have our chit chat in this place too :)

Ryan 83 – The prices are quite the same as other kopitiam in town and you get to enjoy the sea breeze too.

December 22nd, 2008 at 5:19 pm

lovely coffee….looks like a good place to relax and unwind. Yea when gather to chit chat, tell me :P

December 22nd, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Nice place and nice food presentation. Jade rolls look good!

peteformation´s last blog post..Chinese Winter Solstice Festival (Tang Chek, Dong Zhi) – Making Tang Yuan (Glutinous Rice Balls) From Produce (Dragon Fruit, Sweet potato, screwpine)

December 22nd, 2008 at 11:31 pm

I think I know where it is…Previously it was a coffee shop izzit? Anyway, it looks like a nice place to hangout with friends and at least has more parking space compare to Jemput Tree.

Jian´s last blog post..RM2 Affair

December 23rd, 2008 at 12:45 am

Buzzingbee – Sure, will do that.

Peteformation – A popular chill out place…there are plenty more food to try out.

Jian – Thanks for your info…I totally can’t recall the previous outlet. Do drop by, I am sure you like the environment.

December 23rd, 2008 at 11:16 am

wow…new place to hang out with old friends…hehe…yeah! im back…will go to penang friday…

December 23rd, 2008 at 10:19 pm
IVAN

I have been to this place and its environment is very nice and relaxing… nice place for gathering and hanging out when you got nothing to do… hehe… :)

December 24th, 2008 at 11:08 am

Squall – It will be good having so many people back in Penang.

Ivan – It sure is a winner in terms of location and environment…plus very convenient for the hoteliers.

December 24th, 2008 at 11:44 am
Penang Tionghua

Went there yesterday.

Took curry mee, char mee suah, iced mocha and Vietnamese coffee. Big prawns. Good!

December 24th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Penang Tionghua – Nice of you sharing the yummy choices that you had with the readers.

December 24th, 2008 at 11:38 pm

ooooh yes… the new place. It’s true Mr Pot faced competition which is good. This helps to improve the quality and more choice for Penangites. My sister went there on the 3rd day of their opening. They have 2 areas…air-cond and hot-cond :-P Air-cond is Non-Smoking but since it was afternoon, my sister said there’s not much smokers LOL and she chose the seats just outside the air-cond lounge – just behind the mushroom sprinkler. It’s very breezy and she like their large foldable umbrellas. She’s thinking of something like that for her balcony… One thing am not sure is the parking lot besides the Coffee Island which supposed belong to the same property. Will they charge later on?
The Vietnamese Coffee is good but my sister preferred the Com Viet version where you can adjust the condensed milk and pour the hot water by yourself. Coffee Island mixed both the condensed milk and they poured the hot water into the percolateur before they served. They do provided a small teapot of hot water though. Either way, you can inform them not to make it too sweet. Even though the food portions may be small but I think it’s ok. Prices are reasonable. Just that I have to wait longer before I can see the place :-D

CK, wishing you and family Happy Holidays and Happy New Year. May 2009 bring the best of the best to you and more new eateries review from you… :-) I personally want to thank you for all the troubles discovering new places where I have never been (especially in mainland) before. Now, I can show my friends locally and abroad that Penang is not a boring after all :-D

“Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année 2009″

pixen´s last blog post..Curry Chicken in Kaffir Lime Leaves

December 25th, 2008 at 2:40 am

Pixen – Parking vehicles in the lots beside Coffee Island is free for now…hope they will keep it that way.
You can’t get to taste the Vietnamese coffee at Com Viet as they have already closed down recently but you can always drop by this chilling outlet to try their version when you are back in town.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday and a great New Year 2009.

December 26th, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Dang…why this place closed down when I’m not in Malaysia??? I hope they move somewhere else :-( I will check with my sister. Thank you for the info. I got a set of antique percolateur at home that I can use. Only thing different will be the Sweetened Condensed Milk as the ones we had in Malaysia were added with Palm Oil I think to reduce the price. Before they added vegetable or palm oil, the price of Milkmaid (large tin) was RM 2.10. If they maintained the recipe… the price will shoot up to RM 3.50/tin or more. In Europe I still can find ‘real’ Sweetened Condensed Milk and buy Vietnamese coffee from the Vietnamese Minimart I frequent to. Am thinking of making my own Sweetened Condensed Milk :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Curry Chicken in Kaffir Lime Leaves

December 28th, 2008 at 4:19 am

wow..after didnt go back for a while, didnt know that now pg had so many nice places to go..looking forward to check it out when back next round…

taufulou´s last blog post..Christmas Dinner, Bubba Gump @ The Curve

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:20 am
Caren

Found this website because I wanted this coffee’s house contact number to make reservation to celebrate my hubby birthday today but I can;t get any contact in this blog.
When there once with my family last week, this place is great and the foods was delicious, we love the western foods more then anything else, we consider this place to to have our family CNY eve’s dinner if they are open in 25th :)

January 9th, 2009 at 11:34 am
Caren

Found this website because I wanted this coffee’s house contact number to make reservation to celebrate my hubby birthday today but I can’t get any contact in this blog. (anyone can help?)

January 9th, 2009 at 11:35 am

Taufulou – Maybe can meet up with you…

Caren – Thanks for reminding. I managed to get it and have just updated it in the post. I did not include the telephone number at first as it was not available at that time.

January 9th, 2009 at 1:44 pm
Caren

Thank you so much CK Lam and I want to let you know you did a very good job in your blog, will drop by often to search for good foods and tell my friends about your blog, Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.

January 10th, 2009 at 1:25 am
Caren

Tried out the Ice Vietnam Coffee, love it! Mocha is my next, would like to recommend Breaded Calamari Ring too, my husband made second order in a minute were the 1st plate served! LoL…

January 10th, 2009 at 1:39 am

Caren – Looks like you are going to be a regular customer of this place since your family like the food & the environment…haha

Will try out your recommended calamari ring…thanks.

January 10th, 2009 at 11:04 am
Caren

Go ahead CK Lam… hahaha.

January 11th, 2009 at 5:27 pm
Sammy

Previously it was a bungolow deep inside with a garden at the front. The owner of Bali Hai Seafood Restaurant in Gurney Drive owns Coffee Island.

January 16th, 2009 at 5:14 pm
galaxy

so many people, feel like kopitiam… service also vary bad. we ordered a bucket of beer, and have to ask the waiters bring us glasses. Only the third time the waiter bring us glasses. My friend almost wanted to scold them…

February 7th, 2009 at 10:44 am
Mandy

Hi CK Lam, if not mistaken…I think that time you went to this Coffee Island with your husband??
You both seated near to the small water pool there right? I still remember the person took some pictures on the Vietnamese coffee…and the person just looks like you!
Correct me if I’m wrong… :D

February 11th, 2009 at 2:04 am
Mandy

To galaxy:
Recently their service did improved!
As last time I been there & ordered a drinks spends almost 15-20mints only it served to me…but now different already! Their service crew did a lotz of improvement!
Just try to visit again….will find the differences! ;)

February 11th, 2009 at 2:13 am
Bris77

Hi CK Lam, I personally feel that the food is kinda pricey.. fried pineapple rice RM7.90.. hokkien mee and hor fun prices are in those range too! I guess this place is good to get-together with friends and chit chat as they served interesting drinks :)

February 11th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Sammy -Wow…Bali Hai sure makes it big in Gurney Drive.

Galaxy – Give them another chance to improve. Try again.
P.S. Another reader, Mandy did see improvements on her lately visits.

Mandy – On my first visit, I did sat near the small pool…if the day and timing is right, that should be me but then again many ppl do take photos of their food too…haha

Bris77 – It is indeed a lovely place to meet up with friends…be it with food or just over a choice of hot and cold drinks. Do come by for a hello should you see me there!

February 11th, 2009 at 2:08 pm
June

Vietnamese Coffee looks interesting, never thought that it will serve in this way.

Getting know this site form asianfoodgallery, nice blog you had.

February 24th, 2009 at 6:57 am

June – Thanks for dropping by. If you come across this type of coffee, do give it a try…the waiting dripping process can be slow by that’s what makes it interesting.
Do drop by again for updates.

February 24th, 2009 at 10:57 am
SC

Hi CK Lam, thanks for the blogs & comments. We really appreciate your value comments. We certainly need to upgrade ourselves to serve you better.

And for the rest, I would take this opportunity to thank you all for supporting us and given us a priceless comments and suggestions.

To update you all, on top of WIFI, we even have a small computer room (free of charge) to enable you’ll in surfing the internet should you not bringing your own notebook.

Our car park is free of charge. However we did impose a charge of RM3 per entrance during Christmas Eve, however it is redeemable at our cafe.

Our Telephone No: 04-227 2377 and Fax No.: 04-227 2378. Meanwhile you may write to us at admin@balihaiseafood.com for the time being.

SC
Admin Manager

March 9th, 2009 at 2:24 am
adam

ck lam…i from ipoh i have ,one coffee ,inport in vietnam, do you want to try ,i can send post to you free,if you say yes please let me know…….thank

April 25th, 2009 at 12:17 am
adam

or you can contact me in
skype adam00165320486
is very good test cooffee,
plese try it…..

April 25th, 2009 at 12:20 am

Adam – Nice of you for visiting my blog….would like to visit you to try out the coffee should I be in your area.

April 26th, 2009 at 9:14 am
karen

the food there is not tasty, expecially the lam mee… i also try the hazelnut ice chocolate n caramel ice chocolate wah it taste sour, totally no chocolate taste. only the enviroment attrack people only….

July 27th, 2009 at 10:38 pm
Chris

I went there on Feb 2009, the food n service very bad actually. I ask the person in charge & comment about the food, the pic said they having too many food and can’t remember which is which! As a restaurant pic should know very familiar what dishes they are having, but he is not. The enviroment is nice, me & my friend won’t visit there anymore.

July 30th, 2009 at 12:15 pm
Richard

Since talk about coffee Island, I went there last night and this is what happened on me during the nite time near bar service very bad. Cashier no manners like un-educated. Manager don’t know how to manage thing. Not even know how to explain what I asked, after I paid they double charge ask me pay again..coffee very bad…every day deferrent taste..last 2day i went c.islao w my friend gng we order same coffee but defferent taste..not standard as starbuck. The worst is the service freaking sucks.Want to find 1 waiter to order also difficult. Is this so call best of Penang Food?

October 20th, 2009 at 11:08 am
FK

Richard: Ya you are right. It also happened to me last few day. Food and drink not yet arrived they already take the bill ask me to pay. Beside while order the drinks somemore take so long to get me a drink. The come out with a drink inside got a bee. I ask the manager come over. The manager face like suck and talking very rude. the waiter and the waitress also the peopl over the bar. All the service very bad. For me I wont think that i am going to go there again. I pay for enjoying. But I pay to get such service and the people rude to me. TOTALLY NOT WORTH to go there anymore. This is call the WORTH PENANG FOOD.

October 21st, 2009 at 11:44 am

karen, Chris, FK & Richard – I have not been to this place for quite some time and won’t know the situation of the place. Hope they will take note of your feedback.

October 21st, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Hi this is the first time I came across your blog and u have reviews of some amazing places in Penang! I’ll definitely try some of the places you recommended very soon.

Btw Coffee Island also serves roti jala which is quite rare to find nowadays. I thought it was nice though the portion is very small for the price (it was around rm10 and there were only 3 pieces of jala).

January 21st, 2010 at 5:33 pm
rickman

any job available here?

November 27th, 2010 at 1:58 pm
zac

Stumbled upon this place looking for a decent non-mamak joint on a Saturday night @ 1am. The soup hor fun was quite refined in texture & didnt taste MSG-laden. Absolute disappointment was the ‘steamed bread with kaya’ – barely warm cheap white bread served with fluorescent green sludge that tasted rancid to the extent of sour. I complained but none of the staff spoke English until someone higher up told me ‘oh it’s just bad coconut oil. can eat’. I wont be back period!

January 11th, 2011 at 9:43 am
Helen

Ice Vietnam Coffee! Love to try. Must go Coffee Island. Thanks for sharing….

February 7th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. 75 Celcius Restaurant and Bar, Gurney Drive | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Aug 16 2009 / 2pm:

[...] restaurant 75 Celcius Restaurant & Bar located right beside Coffee Island along the stretch of Gurney Drive was opened recently. Many of the food bloggers were invited there [...]