Updated on June 2010 : The restaurant has stopped operation.

Penang has been renowned for its ever-famous hawker & street food for a long time. However, in recent years, there have been a growing number of international restaurants popping out, especially in the regions of Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong. I was lucky enough to have tried the Swiss, Bulgarian, German, Japanese and Korean food around these area and in Georgetown.

Yesterday, while on our usual family food trips, we stumbled upon Shenanigans, the new Irish Pub & Restaurant along Jalan Tanjung Tokong with its traditional green and splendor. We pop in for a visit but to our surprise, they were holding an opening function. The Manager told us that the ala carte menu is only available on a much later date and he invited us to join in the function with free flow of beer and finger food.

p1120940.jpg

To create the pub with an Irish theme, they have even placed a unique decorative piece called The Blarney Stone. Checking in Wikipedia, shows that …” The Blarney Stone is a block of bluestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle, Blarney about 8 km from Cork, Ireland. According to legend, kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery). The stone was set into a tower of the castle in 1446. The castle is a popular tourist site in Ireland, attracting visitors from all over the world to kiss the Stone and tour the castle and its gardens. The word blarney has come to mean clever, flattering, or coaxing talk.”

p1130030.jpg

The place was almost packed but the Manager still managed to find a table for us. As we sat down, we were immediately served with good old chilled Tiger Draft. Fantastic beverage to start off the night. The bar also has a range of Irish beer on tap, such as Kilkenny and Guinness.

p1120945.jpg

p1120959.jpg

p1130022.jpg

p1130020.jpg

All three of us had a beer each. I could not resist either; even though I’m not a big fan of beers, the chilled Tiger really tickled my taste buds.

p1120952.jpg

These are some of the finger food from the buffet spread for the evening…Chicken Satay, Spring Rolls, Potato Wedges, Cocktail Sausages, Fish Fingers, Fried Rice and Fried Noodles. The food is nothing Irish, but still it was a fantastic complement with the beer.

p1120990.jpg

p1120982.jpg

As the evening looms, the bar got more crowded, with all the seats taken up. Its really a great place to kick back and relax, the ambience is not too dodgy as other bars that I have seen.

p1120954.jpg

p1120961.jpg

p1130012.jpg

p1130037.jpg

Stumbled upon this on the way out, “I’ll have one more and then I’ll stay?” I resisted the temptation, and the next sign outside the door made me burst out laughing.

p1120955.jpg

“A little bit of Ireland on the Island?” HAHA! Definitely!

p1130033.jpg

Very cozy place indeed, and the lighting is not too dim either, just right. We will be back here again to try out their ala carte menu, hopefully will see some Irish dishes :) This place used to be the Proton Edar Showroom. Click here for the Map Location.

Shenanigans
Irish Pub & Restaurant
129/130 Jalan Tanjung Tokong
Penang

For reservations, kindly contact the General Manager, Mr Sting at 012 265 3250.

Updates : 20/3/2010 – This place has closed down.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 at 3:50 pm and is filed under Drinks, International, Irish, Penang Restaurant, Pub, Tanjung Tokong, Tidbits and Snacks, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

That is one fine looking pint of Tiger. I think I will make my presence felt during my trip back this weekend! :-)

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Sri Nirwana Maju, Bangsar

December 2nd, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Fast moved, CK! Just wonder why lots of restaurant didn’t serve their signature dish for opening? Is a common miss out, as this the best time to self promote.

anyway…very happy to have chance to try Irish food in Penang, but not anywhere else…haa

gill gill´s last blog post..Fatty Boy Chicken Rice at Restaurant 98 On Burmah Road

December 2nd, 2008 at 5:55 pm
Tan

CK the foods looks good!!!! Where is this place actually????

December 2nd, 2008 at 6:10 pm

550ml jar of faith – I even took one glass myself…haha
Good to have you back, any chance of us meeting up this time around?

Gill – I was a bit disappointed when I didn’t get to have any of their signature dishes on that night…but will sure to visit it again.

December 2nd, 2008 at 6:11 pm

This place looks cool. There are more restaurant blooming up in Penang. happy for that as a food lover :)

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Breakfast At Dome

December 2nd, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Just wonder whether all the International restaurants can survive during this current US financial crisis. In Spore, most of the food outlets esp those high-end restaurants are badly affected.

lk´s last blog post..Fried shallots

December 2nd, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Tan – The place was previously the Proton Edar showroom. From the Fettes Park traffic light, keep left…it is further down the road.

Food Promotions – Sure has a nice environment…another place for us Penangites to enjoy a meal.

lk – Hopefully not in Penang…or else less places to makan.

December 3rd, 2008 at 12:20 am

definately trying this place out soon!!

duckie´s last blog post..Unknown Fruit

December 3rd, 2008 at 8:20 am

I saw this when I drove passed last weekend. They were under reno at that time. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..siTigun

December 3rd, 2008 at 11:04 am

The place looks comfortable and spacious for a pub cum restaurant. Will look forward to some Irish taste..
p.s. wonder anyone would kiss the Blarney stone..he..he..

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..How to Save a Sinking Sofa………

December 3rd, 2008 at 12:13 pm

you are really fast! lol
saw this place last week and saw the banner that they’re opening on dec1. thought i’d give them a week or two for them to settle in before i go and try. :P

but like gill said, its sad that they dont serve their signature dish during the opening… but nvm la, can go again in future. hopefully they have good shepard’s pie!

lingzie´s last blog post..harry’s B1 Korean Charcoal BBQ Restaurant @ Autocity, Juru

December 3rd, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Duckie – I am also looking forward to my next visit…maybe get to meet your there.

New Kid on the Blog – Its quite an attraction, being on the main road…do drop by with your hubby to try out the food too.

Sweet Jasmine – I am sure there are bound to be someone to do just that…haha

Lingzie – I also wish they would serve some Irish stew and also the shepard’s pie.

December 3rd, 2008 at 1:37 pm

OMG… u are driving me crazy….. recession vs great food….

how how.. tell me how….?!!!!!!

btw.. do u kiss the stone?…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Hawker Food | Roti Canai – Transfer Road

December 3rd, 2008 at 3:20 pm

wow…is irish cuisine…although in KL also seldom to find…so good in penang…i must consider going bac penang to work alr…

squall´s last blog post..1122???Lunch @ Alexis

December 3rd, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Hmm…do they have roti canai with irish stew kuah? hehe

December 4th, 2008 at 12:16 am

I love Kilkenny ………

December 4th, 2008 at 9:53 am
paul walters

Thankyou for the kind words and glad to see the Island approves of Ireland. Took 1 week for me to design and 3 weeks to create and just a shame I couldn’t make the opening. Rest assured I will be back to visit my handy work in the new year and maybe I’ll have one and then I’ll stay!
By the way the food is excellent with a touch of tradition. Regards the INTREPID FLYING KIWI

December 4th, 2008 at 10:11 am

Penangtuapui – Nope…I did not kiss the stone but I am sure someone else did.

Squall – You can also try it out first on your Penang trip.

Jian – Can always consider that idea… definitely a new way of eating Irish stew…

December 4th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Email2me – We can stop by for a drink during the coming makan outings.

Paul Walters – Really admired your handy work. When you do come to this Island, I do hope to get the chance to meet up with you in this Ireland pub!

December 4th, 2008 at 2:34 pm

CK… My list of food to eat definitely grow up by one notch within this post! The ambience looks awesome, if the food price is a little bit cheaper, I guess it is definitely within my range of food hunting LOL… next time you do review, can ask the restaurant ownders to give vouchers or discounts adee hehe

desmond-t´s last blog post..Macao – Part I (The Planning)

December 4th, 2008 at 5:54 pm
paul walters

CK unfortunately I have been and gone! I have designed pubs in the UK for 10 years before settling back down in New Zealand…Just an opportunist moment to be head hunted to be involved in this project. I have introduced the 100 pint club for those serious Guinness drinkers so maybe you can tell your friends to join up and be part of the culture. Just tell Sting that I invited you and the first drink can be on the house. Will contact you next year when I’m about. Once again thankyou for the great review, much appreciated and look out for the “Tiger” on the loose!

December 4th, 2008 at 6:25 pm
Tan

Thanks CK and Teo for the nice dinner. Very unfortunate that their dessert is not yet ready.

December 4th, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Desmond-t – If I ever get it, I will definitely share it with all of you.

Paul Walters – Alright, have noted it down and hope to see you in your next trip to Penang.

Tan – You are most welcome…we are very happy having a wonderful time knowing you and your wife :)

December 4th, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Dear Anna,

This pub looks posh!

Anyway, do u have any idea why is the restaurant named as such?

According to dictionary,

Usually, shenanigans. a. mischief; prankishness: Halloween shenanigans.
b. deceit; trickery.

2. a mischievous or deceitful trick, practice, etc.

Singapore Short Stories´s last blog post..Singapore Christmas

December 4th, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Singapore Short Stories – Thanks for the detailed info…nice of you for sharing, Tom.

December 5th, 2008 at 12:12 am

I passed by there just now but did not go in as I happened to have a nice meal by the beach earlier… hehe.

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – SEVEN SISTER CAFE & RESTAURANT

December 5th, 2008 at 3:39 am

great food and nice ambiance. Is a great place for to bring customers for a mug or 2. Next time I know where to go with my customers

December 5th, 2008 at 10:42 am

I certainly hope it’s similar to my favourite Irish pub, The Finnegans which can be found here in KL. I need my Strongbow cider fix when i’m back in Penang! ;) I wonder if they serve Strongbow there.

Jason Lim´s last blog post..Bangsa Malaysia and Malaysian Unity

December 6th, 2008 at 7:49 pm
tox

I just went there and it sucked. The irish beef stew is nothing irish and they only have tiger, guiness and kilkenny draughts. What a joke! the only thing irsh about this place is the customers returning there. Dumb

December 8th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Criz Lai – There is always another day…

Steven Goh – For now, it is more of a pub. As for the food, there are mixed comments…overall a nice place for a drink.

Jason Lim – As far as I know, they do not serve the cider but you could still give them a call to confirm.

Tox – Hope your comment will give them an idea on improving on their food selection especially towards the Irish theme as what their name stands for.

December 8th, 2008 at 10:40 pm
Shitnanigans

I think they should call it Shitnanigans because the service was very poor. I had to wait almost 2 hours for my food to arrive! The way they serve food is very special. They don’t finish serving one table before moving to the next as they rotate around. One dish for this table, another dish for that table and so on. I went with a group of friends and almost everyone of us had to watch the person with the food eat and wait curiously for ours to arrive. The beer and Kilkenny were not cold enough. I’m not sure if that’s the IRISH way of doing things but I sure don’t like it. Price wise its not too expensive and not too cheap but with that price, we can get far better food and far better service for sure!

December 10th, 2008 at 3:20 pm
anonymous

To be honest, the food there is not good at all. The irish beef stew came in very small portion and the taste is just very normal. Nothing really special. The lamb shank was quite bad as well; they don’t serve the dish while it’s still hot. The dishes were left on the table left unattended, and reason given was they have not enough waiter. The meat was too chunky and dry. The sauce ain’t special and it was too watery. And lastly, the service was bad. I’ve ordered extra french fries and soup of the day and those were supposed to be served as starters but both starters that i’ve ordered never came at all even after I have finished my main course. Asked the waiter several times and he said it’s coming but in the end, he came and tell that the soup has finished. No one came and inform us that the soup has already finished until after several chases. When we ask for the bill, french fries was charged in the bill when it never came at all. Again, reason given for all the mistakes was they have not enough waiter/waitress.

December 11th, 2008 at 3:20 pm
James Sharpe

Not sure what planet of expectations the above sourpusses come from…

Just returned from a meal there with my family. The Guinness Beef Pie was delicious, as was the cottage pie, as was the Pan Fried chicken and the Fisherman’s Basket. What’s more, the kids meal at $15 was very very good value…

Beer was good (tried all the drafts) didn’t find them warm or flat in the slightest…

Service was ok… You’ve got to understand that the wait staff are new.. You can’t expect a tight ship from the get go… give them a month or so to get settled…

But yeah… would thoroughly recommend this place for authentic western food (yes… that means a beef pie that tastes like it should… and chips that taste like they should) and decent draft Guinness and Kilkenny.

December 30th, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Shitnanigans & Anonymous – Give them some time… and things will get better along the way as they have started out not too long a time.

James Sharpe – From your comment, things are going along pretty good. Thanks for sharing your outing with us.

December 31st, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Wow..interesting to see an Irish establishment in Penang..cooL!!
However, I always find it unbelievable that Irish pubs abroad esp in SE Asia serves Kilkenny beer. You know, being in Ireland myself for donkey years, I have never seen this brand..Guinness yes but not Kilkenny (which is a town/city in Rep. of Ireland)..strange..maybe this beer is from Northern ireland..ah..who knows?! as long as it’s good, shouldn’t matter much :)

February 16th, 2009 at 11:42 am
Melody

Hi CK,

Do you have the contact no of Shenanigan?

We would like to try by tonight…

Will appreaciate if you could reply me…

March 27th, 2009 at 11:04 am

Melody – I don’t have the contact no. but you could try your luck calling the handphone number stated in the post.

March 27th, 2009 at 12:26 pm
gal gal

pls dun try dis restaurants ever,i never eat the food like this.is totaly diffrent what i eat b4.i think they changing chef already.

May 19th, 2009 at 1:40 am
nathan

First impression when I got into this restaurant I thought I was in the Philippines because all the waitresses were Filipinos. I thought I was supposed to be in a Irish Pub/restaurant. Gee, I wonder what ever happened to all our local workers? Penang island seems invaded by Filipinos ans Filipinas, this is not healthy progress.

September 4th, 2009 at 10:04 pm
Filipino Nigan

They should change the name of this irish pub since it’s filled with filipino workers. Of course the beef don’t taste Irish its cooked by some filipinos I think. I believe the Immigration Dept might be interested to look into this unhealthy activities. Everybodys filipino, waitresses, singers, musicians, cooks, etc etc where’s the real Penang local charm gone too?

September 5th, 2009 at 2:18 pm
Ynos

I totally agree with u filipino Nigan !!I go to tat place at september 7.. When i first arrive there i love the design of the pub… But I heard my friend say d manager is filipino.. But i feel tat d manager doesnt have any experience to manage this lovely n nice environment in shenanigans !! Hope d place will become better when i go next time !!

September 14th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

nathan, Filipino Nigan – It is unavoidable nowadays to have foreign workers in the F & B outlets and it is quite common everywhere.
Even some of the hawker food that you eat is prepared by foreign workers too.

If they do serve tasty and authentic food, then it is ok even when cooked by a foreign worker.

Ynos – Hopefully they will maintain the standard of this pub which has a lovely design in a nice location.

September 15th, 2009 at 10:36 am

Did you know Shenanigan’s has closed, and re-opened under a new name?

Maybe this page should be wiped, and the place should be revisited?

March 20th, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Martyn Johnson – Have updated the info that you provide in this post which will remain in my blog.

March 20th, 2010 at 4:08 pm
Jane

i have tried that place once before it closed down… i went there for christmas set dinner thingy.. the place sucked… the food was not nice.. the soup was super salty, the main course which i ordered was a beef n it was hard as stone.. the staffs were retarded (example: when i asked how the beef will be made, they dont know how to answer me), they work as if like they have no energy… no wonder it closed down…

April 20th, 2010 at 5:31 pm