We came across some good and tasty hawker food in Taman Emas coffee shop located directly opposite the Penang Chinese Girl’s High School. This corner lot coffee shop on the busy Gottlieb Road is well known for its Assam Laksa.  Besides that we also got to try out the food from the other stalls.

This plate of Char Koay Teow (RM3) comes with slices of Chinese Sausages and  a few prawns. Fried till just right, not too oily, it tasted prefect with few drops of soy sauce.

p1130172.jpg

This is the assam laksa (RM2.50) which most people will go for. It has the right balance of sour, sweet and spicy flavor and  was very appetizing. Most customers will have some fried spring rolls (RM0.60 each) to dip in this flavorful laksa soup.

p1130182.jpg

Not to be miss out is the dumpling, Chai Koay that cost RM0.60 each. We had some with fillings of mangkuang and koo chai. Both comes with pieces of dried prawns which enhances the flavour. Best eaten with the chili sauce which is provided on every table.

p1130183.jpg

p1130197.jpg

After the meal, we had some Kuih Talam. The Laksa Stall sells this kuih with the usual green pandan flavor and the unusual brown sugar version.  The slightly salty top layer goes well with the sweet bottom layer. All the kuih talam are wrap up and sold  in packets. This plate of kuih talam is from one packet.

p1130198.jpg

p1130203.jpg

p1130206.jpg

p1130205.jpg

Opening Hours – Coffee shop :   Morning till evening

Opening Hours – Laksa Stall   :   2pm till 5pm

Closing day       :   Monday

The corner lot coffee shop is directly opposite Penang Chinese Girl’s High School. Very pack on weekends and public holidays. Click here for Map Location.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 11th, 2008 at 2:39 pm and is filed under Assam Laksa, Chai Koay, Char Koay Teow, Dessert, Gurney Drive, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Wow I can’t even see the owner behind!

December 11th, 2008 at 3:13 pm

the Chai Kueh with Koo chai is best. perfect with those chilli sauce. yummy …..

Pg’s rather famous for the underrated kueh ya? quite a number of places serving them

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Pudu’s Roast Goose @ Chen Chen BBQ

December 11th, 2008 at 4:31 pm

We also got kue talam in Indonesia but usually the color isn’t that dark, more orange yellow in round size.

Selba´s last blog post..Bakmi Asui

December 11th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Jian – The whole stall is filled with packets of laksa and surrounded by customers…susah to to see the owner lor…

J2kfm – The chai kueh tasted good although the skin is not that thin.

Selba – That’s very interesting…hope you could do a review on it.

December 11th, 2008 at 5:18 pm

This coffee shop is truly a gem but it’s been years since I’ve been back! I keep hitting it on days when they are closed! I gotta have some laksa soon…

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Breakfast at Petaling Street Wet Market & 7 Random Things

December 11th, 2008 at 5:57 pm
Tan

Thanks CK for bringing the old memory for the laksa!! It used to be just a pushcart stall opposite Sunrise Tower beside Mutiara Villa!! My hangout during my secondary school period bcoz got a lot of girls to see!! Heeeeee heeeeee heeeeee

December 11th, 2008 at 6:59 pm

heard lots about this shop but never stop by yet. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..TAO Authentic Asian Cuisine

December 11th, 2008 at 7:06 pm

550ml jar of faith – Do keep in mind that the laksa stall is close on Monday.

Tan – Hmmm…I see. No wonder not visiting it now as you have found your beautiful wife already.

Food Paradise – Do make time to visit this place when you are in the town area.

December 11th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Next time I better bring my frens here rather than the lorong selamat one. :)

cariso´s last blog post..Georgetown Cafe Set Lunch

December 11th, 2008 at 7:35 pm

my favourite stalls…… i love the laksa, chai koay, kuih talam, and char koay teow…

i love his char mee also……. and the curry mee i also like it…. yum yum

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Dessert | Mount Erskine Roadside Tong Sui

December 11th, 2008 at 8:51 pm

wow miss it popiah+ laksa !!! ho ciak nia!!

fly´s last blog post..fly ?????? x’mas coming soon….

December 11th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Cariso – Its a small place but with some good tasty food.

Penangtuapui – Looks like this is a favourite place of the tuapui’s.

Fly – This is my first time stepping into this coffeeshop and I find the food very tasty too.

December 12th, 2008 at 12:12 am

You should also try out the Assam mixed Lemak one opposite the Pulau Tikus police station too. It’s also one of the good ones in that area. :)

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – TE CHANG YOU TIAO WANG

December 12th, 2008 at 1:47 am

Wow, another great place u have shared…..I have only tried their laksa..never know other food also nice there….

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Citrus Wine & Dine

December 12th, 2008 at 8:31 am

yes yes.. old old but good good..!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Latest Dough Craze? Chewy Junior – Pavillion

December 12th, 2008 at 9:06 am

Most of the food there taste good. I luv the ckt, chai koay, popiah and kuih talam. Yummy.
The last time I ate there, the laksa tasted quite sweet. :-p

Allie´s last blog post..Penang Food | Dry Bak Kut Teh

December 12th, 2008 at 9:21 am

Aiyo, those CKT big prawns are calling my name. I only like to eat the prawns and “hum” in my CKT, don’t like the KT. LOL.

Laksa, yummy, I already miss Penang food.

December 12th, 2008 at 10:32 am

This place should be easy to find. Try out on my next visit back home. Mmmm, notice there is Char Mee Suah, should be very hard to fry because mee suah very sticky, wonder how it taste like.

peteformation´s last blog post..Ho Heng Kee Seafood at Kedai Kopi (Cafe) Bee Hin, 1, Jln Padang Tembak, Penang, Good Family Restaurant

December 12th, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Food looks appetizing. Just can’t slip in taste and look as there are so much competition. How to not miss hawker’s food?

Chin´s last blog post..Bubba Gump Shrimps Revisited – The Curve

December 12th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Criz Lai – That assam mixed lemak is a hit seller in PTikus area.

Simple Girl – I have yet to try the curry mee and economy rice too.

Thenomad Gourmand – and yummy yummy too!

Allie – Looks like you have eaten most of the food there.

December 12th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Rasa Malaysia – Wow…smart girl, go for seafood and not the kt…haha

Peteformation – Char Mee Suah can be found in many places in Pg…and most of them are quite tasty and with eggs too.

Chin – Hawker food is a must in Pg and you will find the same type of food over the town…but each with its individual taste.

December 13th, 2008 at 10:41 am

I tasted the Char Mee Sua but it’s not to my expectations :-) Maybe next trip, I will go for the Char Koay Teow. The Laksa is very nice but a bit sweet. I will tell them to reduce the Prawn paste in the future because the Laksa gravy was already sweet. Overall, the homemade Soy Bean Milk and Teik Chia drinks by the coffee shop made up for it :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Fish In Tamarind Soup (Hoo Khong Asam)

December 16th, 2008 at 3:29 am
Penang Tionghua

I had commented on PTP CKT blog. For the interest of CKT lovers I repost them here:

# 8 December 2008 at 12:46 am;
# 10 December 2008 at 10:07 pm

There is another good Char Koay Teow at Restoran LASIA; coming from town, it is at the junction of Jalan 4 and Air Itam Road a few metre before the roundabout to Penang Hill. Two big prawns and RM4.50 per plate.

This stall is inside the coffee shop called RESTORAN LASIA. The coffee attendant is an Indian, albeit the shop belongs to a Chinese.

It is exactly at the junction of a small lane, Jalan 4 and Air Itam Road, a few metres to the Roundabout leading to Penang Hill Rail Station, same roadside as Public Bank, if one is ooming from Chung Ling.

Don’t get mixed up with the old Kong Ming Theatre after the roundabout along the Penang Hill Road, now called something like ASIA CAFE or what? The one I m talking abt has an L before Asia.

December 16th, 2008 at 11:07 am

Hey CK, I thought I saw you having dinner in Dragon I in Queensbay mall on Friday night. You were with a group, sitting in a partitioned area and stayed til quite late ~10pm right? I thought you looked familiar but couldn’t quite picture who, and when I saw your blog, it struck me. :) Was it you? Was it you? :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Delicious Strawberry Chicken at G Hotel

December 16th, 2008 at 11:40 am

Pixen – The laksa is slightly on the sweeter side but there was a customer asking for extra prawn paste too.
I will try out the Soy Bean & Teik Chia drinks next round.

PenangTionghua – Thanks for the info.

Iamthewitch – Hi…you do have sharp eyesight. It was me alright. I was there doing a food review with some friends.
I look kind of weird (like siau lang) with newly perm curly hair…(for coming CNY…haha).
Hopefully get to meet you someday :)

December 16th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

this is awesomely delicious food only can be found in Penang, cheap, affordable and awesome tasty!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

December 16th, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Big Boys Oven – Penang still has a lot of cheap and tasty food, just need time to go around and find them…and will share with everyone.

December 23rd, 2008 at 12:08 pm
See Meng

Sg CKT normally only have cockles, fish cake and occasionally chinese sausage. Only certain stall will give prawns. I like Pg CKT, our hawker still fried individual plate when you order and really give only koay teow. Sg CKT means koay teow mee (actually) and cannot choose. They fried it before hand (mass production). You must be vary if you are not used to the sweet black sauce, so ask the hawker less black sauce if you don’t like it to be sweet!

Spring rolls nowadays are not as crispy as they used to be. I still remember the mamak pushed their cart and they pour a hot bowl of mini laksa soup for you when you buy 2 pc spring roll. Now the skin are too thick the dough and less turnip inside.

Sg Chai Kueh called Soon Kueh and slightly 1 1/2 size of Pg Chai Kueh selling at S$0.70. They normally will give you thick black sauce (sweet) and chilli sauce (not spicy compare to Pg). Since this snack originated from Teochew, they also had other variety inside besides turnip, ku chai, like glutinuous rice with pink skin colour. However, one thing missing from all this Chai Kueh, they do not have shrimp inside, so Pg still have a better blend of this snack to bring out the turnip flavour.

Sg Kuih Talam only come in green the brown version had another name. One pc cost S$0.70 so, that packet will cost $2.80! So, don’t tell the stall owner.. the brown version will be nice if the brown sugar they add a little bit of palm sugar.. to bring out the strong coconut sweet taste.

February 12th, 2009 at 12:58 pm
Tualang

The curry mee at this coffee shop is also fabulous! The mixed rice also yummy yum yum!

May 13th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Yummo!!! I’m visiting Penang this holidays after 15 years. Thanks for all the info! I will tell my friends in Sydney about this.

December 22nd, 2010 at 11:20 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. CNNGo voted Penang Assam Laksa as World's No.7 most delicious foods | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Aug 01 2011 / 3pm:

[...] Penang Chinese Girl’s High School. Very pack on weekends and public holidays. Click here for more info and Map [...]