A food trip this time around across the bridge took us to Nibong Tebal, Penang. We patronized this old style kopitiam Lim Aik Chew. This place is known for its fresh large prawns, and is popular among the tourist and locals alike.

Top of the menu was the prawns, of course! These famous prawns comes in several sizes, and subsequently with different prices. Their signature cooking method of these prawns is the Dried Curry, although there are other methods as well.

img_1253.jpg

Basket full of fresh prawns, just take a look at the size of the head!

img_1183.jpg

Hubby holding up a live one…

Straight to the delicacies that we had!

We had a plate of curry prawns with shells intact and it cost approximately RM30. This dish turn out real good with the distinct taste of curry leaves, great for those curry prawn lovers. You could sense that they used authentic ingredients to create the sauce, instead of using those ready-packed.

p1140647.jpg

img_1205.jpg

Curry prawns at its best…

img_1227.jpg

Just a shot of the “eggs” in the prawn head.. very guilty indeed :D

They served this curry prawn with rice or bread, the choice is up to you. We ended up having the bread as I see the other customers having it, and we didn’t want to come all the way here just to have rice. It came steaming hot and goes superbly well with the thick gravy. We ordered another plate of bread and finishes all the gravy from the plate. Yummy! Just imagine how good it really is.  After our meal and a little chat with the shopkeeper, we were told that the bread were specially made for them according to their requirements by a bakery (which is actually run by his ex-classmate).

img_1191.jpg

img_1219.jpg

Besides the fantastic prawns, we also indulged in a triple flavoured fish as well as stir-fried vegetable. I would say that the fish was well done. Definitely dropping by in the near future for more.

img_1215.jpg

img_1203.jpg

Upon publishing this blog post, the market price of the medium size prawns was fifty-nine ringgit per kilo. The prawn dish itself is RM30 with the fish at RM27. The total bill for the food with bottles of fresh sugar cane juice cost RM69. Overall, a more than enjoyable long trip makan outing for the three of us. For other review, drop over to The Food Site.

img_1173.jpg

On the way out of the shop, I got to know Choon Shih who was having lunch there as well with his lovely girlfriend. After chatting with him, I learned that he hails from Bukit Mertajam, loves photography but not into food blogging at the moment. It was great meeting the both of them and a word of thanks to him for sharing this photo with me.

dsc09730.jpg

Directions

After the Sungai Bakap/Nibong Tebal toll plaza, turn left and travel towards the town. Go up the viaduct/steel bridge. Descend and continue going straight. Pass two traffic lights.

Go straight and about 100m, you will see signboard to Sg Acheh on your right. Turn right and keep going till you reach a T-junction. Turn left and go straight and you will reach a small junction with a big road sign board. The shop is on your right, just beside the metal pedestrian and motorcycle bridge.

img_1232.jpg

Lim Aik Chew
436 Tanjong Berembang
14310 Nibong Tebal
Seberang Perai

Tel: 04 5932957
016 5904912 (Mr Lim)

No Pork served
Payment : Cash Only
GPS Coordinates : N05°09.039′   E100°27.723′

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, January 19th, 2009 at 10:11 am and is filed under Chinese, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Always see your son in the photos. You are so lucky as young ppl don’t always like to follow parents these days. :p

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

January 19th, 2009 at 11:17 am

Curry prawn eaten with bread? Interesting! But I guess eating with rice would be also yummy :)

Selba´s last blog post..Harum (Arum) Manis

January 19th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hmm, curry prawns and crabs…personally I feel is a bit waste to make them into curry, as fresh seafood should be cook with minimal ingredients ya! Anyway, curious to check out the curry prawns also….

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Spice Garden, Ipoh -Chemor trunk road

January 19th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

wow curry prawns….. yum yum…… Have to tell hubby about this. There are lots of nice foods around nibong tebal too. Should make a makan trip after new year. lol Thanks for sharing!

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Hakwer Foods @ City Rio Cafe (King Street)

January 19th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

i like prawns. must go there to eat one day

duckie´s last blog post..Annual trip to Chowrasta Market

January 19th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

You didn’t order the steam version. It is superb too.

email2me´s last blog post..Old Two, Pudu Plaza

January 19th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Soo Sean – We enjoyed going out as a family and we are lucky to have him with us.

Selba – White bread goes well with most gravy…especially those strong flavoured.

Simple Girl – You might like it once you try it and there is an option of having it steam too.

Food Paradise – Can plan so that we can go together.

Duckie – Wow…another prawn lover!

Email2me – Wanted to have the steam version too… but hesitate as I wanted to keep some space for the hawker food in Nibong Tebal.
Do try out the ice kacang and ice blended in the hawker center near old Chiang Kee.

January 19th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

hi CK.. I have been there once.. yes, i remember the bridge..but now if u ask me to go, i dont know at all cos my fren drove.. i love the curry prawns and dipped with bread.. haha.. first time ever..

January 19th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

wah… venture into nibong tebal d… soon will be taiping –> ipoh –> KL –> Johor –> SG ..
hehe. . .

Allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Ah Leng Char Koay Teow (Re-visited)

January 19th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Hey, that’s almost the same way leading to Kuala Gula.

cariso´s last blog post..Singeylang Claypot Frog Porridge

January 19th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Claire – This is also my first time in this place and it won’t be my last…the curry is very good.

Allie – I really hope to do that…it would be nice to be able to eat all the yummy food.

Cariso – Considering visiting Kuala Gula too …the crab beehoon is very tempting :)

January 19th, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Soooo seductive! The prawns and the gravy just calling out to be mopped up with soft fluffy bread… ahhh, my waistline is expanding just from thinking about it :-P

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Rasta Food Court, TTDI

January 19th, 2009 at 6:58 pm
Tan

At last CK you finally got to this place!!

January 19th, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Oh, you make me salivating non stop. :) I’m a prawn lover.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Home Made Pan Cake

January 19th, 2009 at 8:56 pm

those curry looks like thick, Indian curry type. funny, but wouldnt that cover the natural sweetness of the prawns?

but the shot of the roes got me hooked!!!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Melaka – Durian Cendol @ Jonker 88 & Largest Pineapple Tart in Malaysia?!

January 19th, 2009 at 9:15 pm

CK : u are right ….. right after I down with the curry+steam version, I barely can walk ….. some more the taukeh soh kasi free 4 pcs of kembong fish on the house for us and let us cam whore her cooking

email2me´s last blog post..Old Two, Pudu Plaza

January 19th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

550ml jar of faith – You can try it out on your way back to Penang during the holidays.

Tan – Got to know roughly the place after talking to you…thanks.

Little Inbox – In that case, you must take a day to visit this ‘prawny’ place.

J2kfm – I did not take the steam prawns but opted for this dried curry as most customers seem to be going for this signature dish. It is indeed flavourful. As for the roe, I sandwiched it between the slice of bread with some gravy.

Email2me – Wow…you are lucky, get to taste the kembong fish lor.

January 19th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

hi CK, thanks for dropping by. love the reviews here. after all, Penang is very close to my heart. My parents are both true Penangites.

FAD Mom´s last blog post..ABC Roast Pork

January 19th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

It was a waste that you did not order the steam prawns. It brings out the freshness of prawns!

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Young Hearts’ Restaurant Invited Review

January 19th, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Gosh, curry prawns away from mainstream butter prawns, nestum prawns etc and I agree with J2kfm that it looks more Indian curry with the thick gravy. I like old style kopi tiam as u dont get many nowadays!

JENCOOKS´s last blog post..EATOUT IN KUALA LUMPUR – RESTAURANT ANG KEE

January 20th, 2009 at 12:02 am

FAD Mom – Nice to have you joining in and do drop by again.

Jason Wong – That will be a good excuse for me to go there again…I want to eat the steam prawns…haha

Jencooks – The coffee shop is very authentic …I have the ‘kampong’ feeling while dining there.

January 20th, 2009 at 12:56 am

Wah, thanks for the link. I haven’t been there since I did the review. I never did try the steam prawns before too. The curry is just too irresistable!
~Foong~

The Food Site´s last blog post..Fat burning food – Part Two

January 20th, 2009 at 1:46 am

the prawns look so fresh… and i just love the sugar cane juice… :)

January 20th, 2009 at 2:21 am

The prawns look AMAZING!!! Big head and oozing eggs…delicious!

pigpigscorner´s last blog post..Smoked Salmon Rolls with Spicy Chives Filling

January 20th, 2009 at 4:17 am

The Food Site – I totally agreed with you, that signature dish, curry prawn is mo tak teng ….just too irresistible.

Mikky – Thank you for visiting my blog. The food in this place is very fresh and I would be going back for the steam prawns.

Pigpigscorner – The oozing egg is very tasty and makes a good paste for the sandwich…just imagine curry prawn roe sandwich.

January 20th, 2009 at 9:35 am

wow..the curry prawns looks delicious ..especially with he thick gravy & the “eggs”

January 20th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

The owner going to retire soon. He didn’t say when but he said that his son do not intend to take over his business. So go eat while he is still there.

My new post also talk about “prawn” too. The daddy of prawns. hahaha

email2me´s last blog post..Affordable & Specialist in Lobster Cuisine, The Lobsterman [Homarus Americanus]

January 20th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

wah the curry prawns are really so sinfully tempting!!
your food trips are getting more and more widespread already. How lovely to have the family to go out food hunting together! :)

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Food Loft

January 20th, 2009 at 10:48 pm

OMG the curry prawns look really good. I need to bookmark this place for the next time I go up north! Thanks for the recommendation!

January 21st, 2009 at 10:40 am

Shell – Very tasty even in curry gravy.

Email2me – I am sure of dropping by again, have not eaten the steam prawns :)

Buzzingbee – Its nice to try out the food in the mainland…especially with the time during weekend. Do drop by for updates as I have plans to visit others.

Lyrical Lemongrass – It is very nice of you dropping by my blog…glad you like the food up north. Hope I get the opportunity to meet up with you should you be coming this way.

January 21st, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Wow! More food coverage at the mainland now! Is ur GPS a great help? The prawns coverred with curry gravy look so appetizing! But I personally prefer to eat steamed prawns.

lk´s last blog post..Rainbow seafood pasta salad

January 21st, 2009 at 2:53 pm

awesome! awesome! next round S&S in Penang you must bring us to this place yeah!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

January 22nd, 2009 at 8:49 am

lk – Would take the opportunity of the weekend to travel further…so many more nice food to sample and its so much convenient with the GPS Navigator…its worth getting it.

Big Boys Oven – No problem, we will go there makan-makan to try out all the other different version of cooking.

January 22nd, 2009 at 10:53 am

hahahaha… we makan until… hee hee…
my home town… come come.. tell me.. u al wanna go.. we can go makan besar.. heehee

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Chinese New Year Special | Kuih Kapit (Love Letters) Pt 2

January 23rd, 2009 at 2:09 am
Lysanne

gosh.. whens the taukeh gonna retire..
hafta try it in this few weeks.. hope i could still try it.. looks really delicious…

January 31st, 2009 at 10:20 pm
rebeccalee

ck, is this place open for dinner?? or only lunch?

February 19th, 2009 at 4:12 pm

PenangTuaPui – If all of us go makan again, we will sure to call you to join us together.

Lysanne – Do share with me after your outing…

rebeccalee – The place is open for lunch only.

February 19th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Hi CK, Thanks for the great review. The food was great too!

One thing though, the directions weren’t as accurate. I did not have a GPS with me at that time but I believe it should be as follows but these are from my memory. See if you can get someone to verify it.

“Go straight and about 100m, you will see signboard to Sg Acheh on your right. Turn right and keep going till you reach a T-junction.

Turn RIGHT and go STRAIGHT until the end till you reach another T-junction. The shop is on your right, just beside the metal pedestrian and motorcycle bridge.”

May 7th, 2009 at 11:54 am
toiletbuster

i tried that b4…two thumbs up

July 5th, 2009 at 12:31 pm
Lim MW

Thanks! I hope you all can come again to my father restaurant!

August 17th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

jc – Thanks for the info.

toiletbuster – Haha…very tasty.

Lim MW – Will sure to drop in again.

August 17th, 2009 at 10:09 pm

oh now only that i’m re-reading this, brings back memories.
i’ll definitely give this place a try, IF i can manage to crawl my way over someday.

October 5th, 2009 at 11:57 am
Nana

is it easy to get there without driving?

October 20th, 2009 at 6:05 pm
Yee

Nice and delicious….I have been there for few times…..Now will bring my parent to taste it…..

May 9th, 2010 at 10:30 am