Pan mee is a delicious noodle that is handmade manually on the spot. I found a stall located in Yi Garden coffee shop along Macalister Road / Lorong Selamat selling this delicious pan mee. Also known as mee hoon kuih in Hokkien, you can have it with soup or the dry version; with many different sizes.

img_3579_resize.jpg

The soup version comes with fried anchovies, black fungus, minced meat, Chinese mushroom and vegetable. A lot of anchovies are used in boiling the stock which makes it very flavourful and sweet. In the bowl that you can see below, the flatten dough is torn into bite sized pieces.

img_3578_resize.jpg

The dry version has thin strips of pan mee mixed with dark soy sauce with ingredients of deep-fried anchovies, dried black fungus, shredded meat, Chinese mushroom and lots of spring onion. It also comes with a small serving of soup.

For those who love spicy and hot stuff, you can opt to add in more chili oil to get a bowl of delicious chili pan mee. Just take a look and the delicious ingredients and noodles below, is your stomach growling yet?

p1140055.jpg

p1140060.jpg

Preparing this type of noodles requires more time. The prepared small lumps of dough is kept fresh in a tight container. The picture below depicts the lump of flour that makes up for a bowl of noodle. It is flattened and cut into strips using a noodle making machine (below). Observe that it can be adjusted into different sizes.

p1140031.jpg

img_3552_resize.jpg

img_3562_resize.jpg

img_3554_resize.jpg

Close-up shots of the pan mee …. Despite the extra effort having to prepare the pan mee manually on the spot, each bowl is sold for just RM3.30. I believe this reasonably priced noodle is healthier in some way, as it is just flour without much chemicals.

p1140094.jpg

p1140066.jpg

p1140077.jpg

Click here for the Map Location. The frontage of the shop faces directly opposite The Guang Ming office and with its side leading inwards to Lorong Selamat.

Business Hour : 6pm – 10.30pm
Close on Sunday
GPS Coordinates : N05 24.980
E100 19.458

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 5th, 2009 at 11:45 am and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Noodles, Pan Mee, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Can tell directly from the picture that this Pan Mee is delicious :)

And that so nice that you can see the process of making the noodle directly in front of you.

Selba´s last blog post..Bubur Ayam (Chicken Rice Porridge)

February 5th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

My husband loves pan mee. We will definitely give this place a try one of these days.
~Foong~

The Food Site´s last blog post..My first attempt at cooking the super healthy food Quinoa

February 5th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I love the dry version with the bowl of soup served separately. You seems to be getting all the close-up action!

Chin´s last blog post..Pick Your Choice Seat with AirAsia – With a Price

February 5th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

The dry version looks great. Btw, have you tried one Famous one near Bukit Jambul Court? Is nice also…..

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Gold Coast Day 2 -Brisbane

February 5th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Selba – This type of noodle need to be prepare on the spot…its interesting seeing them doing it.

The Food Site – I like the soup version…do try it out.

Chin – I have changed to using the Canon EOS and it helps a lot in taking the photos but still plenty to learn to give sharper photos. Any tips from you will be helpful.

SimpleGirl – I have eaten the pan mee located on the ground floor of the BJ flats…known as MYuen. Is that the one you are referring to?

February 5th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

You’ve found it CK! Pan mee perfection in Penang! I was actually craving for it over CNY in Penang and didn’t know where I could get decent one there… now I do! That Yi Garden place is classic good ol Penang, isn’t it?

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Cheap and cheerful in Teluk Bahang

February 5th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

i like the thinner version of noodles as well. served dry with killer sambal …. oooh ….
Ipoh dun have good dry pan mee lah … or maybe I seldom go out and search hard enough …hmm.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..David’s Diner Revisited – 180 Degrees Turnaround?

February 5th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

550ml jar of faith – There are a few more pan mee stalls in Penang but I usually come to this place for my serving of good pan mee.
This coffee shop still has its classic outlook till today.

J2Kfm – There are bound to be good pan mee around Ipoh and I am sure you, the famous Ipoh food blogger will be able to give us a review soon.

February 5th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They certainly look like the authentic article and I sure want to get myself some soon! :D

My favourite version would be the meen fan kueh, where they tear the pan mee dough into large pieces by shreds. Rougher texture but nicer to chew for those of us who enjoy a good bite! ;)

Lovely blog by the way… Will be back for more… :)

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..The Last Days of Loh Sang

February 5th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Ah … my fren’s stall …. Lau Gu Pan Mee ……. XD

email2me´s last blog post..Kechara Oasis – The New Age Vegetarian Restaurant

February 6th, 2009 at 1:13 am

oh..finally Pg has gd pan mee? i like this one cos i can c tat it’s thinner for the random sized ones..hate those thick chewy ones! and the long strands version looks really springy!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Add pizzazz to your pizzas at Papa Johns, Berjaya Times Square

February 6th, 2009 at 7:17 am

ooo loooks good!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Seventies Kopitiam, Upper Penang Road

February 6th, 2009 at 8:32 am

Wow I seldom find Chilli pan mee. The one you had looked absolutely mouth-watering! I will take note to try out the spicy version next time. :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Hot Pot in Beijing

February 6th, 2009 at 9:17 am

I’ve never had pan meen in Penang. Only in KL. Your pix may have just changed my perception. Drools.

tummythoz´s last blog post..Kedai Kopi Kok Wai, Taiping Perak

February 6th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I love eating pan mien. Have try out this shop here and it is good. Check out my homemade ones @ http://mohlee56.blogspot.com/search/label/Food-pan%20mien

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Becareful of Micro-Waved Water..

February 6th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

nice and great shot… i like the pan mee toooo… heehehe

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Compilation | Hokkien Mee stalls in Penang

February 6th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Pan Mee ~ my favourites too! lol I have not tried their dry version yet and it looks very delicious. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..T.G.I Friday @ Queensbay Mall

February 6th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Yea, this pan mee stall is relatively new compared to the other hawkers in Yi Garden. Quite tasty too… I still prefer the Koh Low Char Hor Fun there LOL

desmond-t´s last blog post..Hun Sai Fish Bee Hoon Soup & Kek Lok Si Temple

February 6th, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Life for Beginners – Thank you for dropping by my blog…your visit meant a lot to me.

Email2me – Love to see your review, Ken.

ThenomadGourmand – Try it out on your coming weekend trip to Penang.

Duckie – …both version is good.

Iamthewitch – Do try it, this type of noodle is healthier too.

Tummythoz – After trying it, it would be nice if you could share your views of the mee from both different places.

February 7th, 2009 at 10:07 am

Sweet Jasmine – Your homemade pan mee looks good…would be lovely if I could taste some the next round :)

PenangTuaPui – Go and try it but not on the closing Sunday.

Food Paradise – Do not put the chili oil for your gal as it is quite spicy.

Desmond-t – Most of the stalls in this coffee shop has been operating for years and the additional ones is this pan mee and the wanton mee stall. Try this pan mee for a change when you next visit Yi Garden.

February 7th, 2009 at 10:09 am

Hi ck, would love you to try mine next time if the time is right.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Be Careful of Micro-Waved Water..

February 7th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I wanna go try it out also one day!

cariso´s last blog post..Bravo Italiana @ I-Avenue

February 7th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

ohhh this looks real good…win over the one in BJ in terms of look, and i guess, the taste too right?

February 8th, 2009 at 12:08 am

ck, that’s my favorite spot for pan mee!! ;) hmm… u’re marvelous at capturing the angles in photography.

beingMRS´s last blog post..Kozue Japanese Restaurant (Opposite KimGary),Gurney Plaza, Penang

February 8th, 2009 at 11:05 am

I ate my 1st pan mee in KL. Since then, I fell in love with it. Hehehe! The pan mee sold at this stall looks great! Will definitely give it a try when I’m back.

lk´s last blog post..Penang nyonya kuih

February 9th, 2009 at 12:37 am

Sweet Jasmine – Thanks for the offer…never refuse good food.

Cariso – The chili oil could be too spicy for you. Go for the soup version.

Buzzingbee – Each place has their individual style of cooking. Do try this out.

BeingMRS – looks like we share the same place for pan mee…yeah!

lk – Do try this out and see if it is to your liking.

February 9th, 2009 at 5:46 pm
See Meng

Pan Mee was 1st introduce to me in KL calling in Sarawak Pan Mee. Sg version do not have black fungus, use different type of vege and add egg into the soup. Thinner version, they call it U-mian. China mee hun kuey don’t tear it from the dough. The chef use a knife/chopper to shred it into the boiling broth.

February 10th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

See Meng – Its nice of you to share the Sg version pan mee…I have not taste it.

Pg has the China mee hun kuey that are shredded from the big piece of dought right into the pot at one of the food outlet in Gurney Plaza.

February 10th, 2009 at 5:02 pm
See Meng

CK – if you visit Sg, Pan Mien is one of the most common food in hawker centre. However, if u do, try it in Level 3 inside Hougang Mall (u won’t want miss it, long queue, and it’s the best I’ve tried), serve it big bowl and plenty of vege and soup ($3.80)

February 13th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

See Meng – Thanks for the info…:)

February 15th, 2009 at 11:57 pm
HL

Hi! I saw the pix of the pan mee and it looks so yummy!! Gotta try it one of these days. Btw, there’s another place selling good pan mee. It’s at a coffee shop in Pulau Tikus opposite Bangkok Lane. The coffee shop is called Kong Bee Lee. The stalls opens for breakfast till around 1-1.30pm (i think). So far the pan mee there has not disappoint! =)

February 17th, 2009 at 11:37 am

HL – Great to know of another pan mee stall…will try it out. Thank you for sharing :)

February 17th, 2009 at 11:58 am
Max Weng

Actually my wife & I really like the pan mee of it… but we really dun like the service of coffee shop attitude la… hahaha…

March 17th, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Lyn

Same stall, … try the Venison noodles !! Soup is awesome !!

March 20th, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Max Weng – Wow…looks like both of you do travel to town to makan makan too.

Lyn – I saw it but did not try yet. Nice intro to this type of noodle.

March 21st, 2009 at 9:24 am
Bris77

hi CK, I tried out this Yi Garden pan mee after reading your blog.. and nice pic! Your photography skill is very good.. bravo! Cudn’t deny this pan mee is very generous, ie large fr its value! You could only get half of this serving (fr S-size) at Hou Mei Yuen pan mee@ground floor of the BJ flats.
I stumbled upon this place that’s worth chking out for its pan mee: BB Kopitiam at Bayan Baru – lunch time. Do share wiz me your review :)

April 4th, 2009 at 10:51 pm
Sharon Chuah

I love the Pan Mee from this stall. The hawker name Ah Gu in Hokkien. If you request to take away service, normally the mee portion is bigger. and you can ask for lots of vege… Yummie..

April 7th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Bris77 – Nice to see your comment. Will have a look at BB.

Sharon Chuah – I like this type of veg… taste good with the pan mee.

April 7th, 2009 at 11:29 pm
Selyn

Great blog! Looking at the food makes me feel like having supper now! I tried searching for entries about Lam Mee but could not find.

Do you have any recommendations? So far I only found one good one in Jelutong Market called ??(Lean or Lian Ee) Lam Mee.

April 8th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Selyn – Welcome to my blog. I am glad that you like it. Do drop in often for updates.
Lam Mee is not found in many places around town but do try out the stall at the corner of Mccalister Road and the road turning to the eight row.

April 8th, 2009 at 11:52 pm
tomatopuree

Hi, CK. Just saw this interesting blog of yours… very interesting to know that the hometowm i live in have so much food to offer that i dont even know most of it exsist. thanks to your info. can i recommend another pan mee venue to your list? its at Sg. Dua opposite tesco extra. its managd by a lady in a corner lot house. few tables though but i see a lot packing home. should try it out.

Thanks for the sharing :)

December 9th, 2009 at 12:24 am
Deb

Hm.. thanks for sharing. Always went to Yi Garden for Wonton mee but didnt notice about the pan mee. And nice pictures taken. Good shot!

November 23rd, 2010 at 8:36 pm
Esteekhoo

Used to eat a very delicious pan Mee at midlands food court. Then the food court was closed down I couldn’t locate the pan Mee seller anymore. Haven’t been eating pan Mee for quite sometime until I thought why don’t I check out your blog . Thanks for recommending this pan Mee . Will try out tomorrow.

April 17th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I eat Pan mee since i was a child…..

April 21st, 2011 at 1:41 pm

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:

[...] Address: Lorong Selamat, 10400 Penang Business Hours: 6pm~10:30pm Closed On: Sundays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/02/pan-mee-macalister-roadlorong-selamat-penang/ http://reginatravel-foodparadise.blogspot.com/2008/08/yi-garden-cafe.html [...]

2. Fried Oyster Omelette (Oh Chien) in Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 29 2010 / 8pm:

[...] are two hawker food in Yi Garden coffeeshop along Mccalister Road that I frequently eat, the pan mee and the fried oyster. The lightly charred fried oyster omelette is crispy at the edges and starchy [...]

3. Penang Coffee Shops / Food Courts List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

4. Penang Food - Pan Mee @ I Mum Mum Restaurant | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 04 2010 / 10pm:

[...] to the Pan Mee stall in Macalister Road that I patronized every once in a while, the pan mee at this place also comprises of flattened [...]