BY CK Lam

Toh Soon is a small side street cafe situated in the folds of Campbell Street Penang. This cafe which is run by Mr and Mrs Ooi has always been a hit with the locals, especially their varieties served for breakfast and tea time. One of our pit stops for breakfast during the Canon Singapore Photography & Food Trip was at this joint which has an alley atmosphere.

IMG_5656

IMG_3696 IMG_3700

Among the items on the menu include half boiled eggs, steamed bread, packets of nasi lemak and their old fashioned charcoal burned roti bakar, and Kopi-O.

IMG_5673

IMG_5679

This cafe utilizes charcoal in their daily operations. It is now rare to find the water boiler running on charcoal fire. Furthermore, the bread is toasted at the lowest compartment using the same charcoal fire! It may be a psychological thing, but I personally find food cooked over charcoal fire taste better than their gas stove counterparts.

IMG_3695IMG_3708

Small and well organized kitchen.

IMG_3689

Water boiled at the top while…

IMG_5639

…the bread is being toasted at the compartment below.

You would be surprised to know that the assorted bread are made at their own Syarikat Luan Fong Bakery, located in nearby Kedah Road. Varieties include Hainan bread, Low Calorie Bread, Chocolate Bread and many more.

Among the varieties of bread spread sold at Toh Soon are the creamy and pungent kaya, butter and peanut butter. There is also the steam bread with a spread of butter and sugar.

IMG_5702 IMG_5706 IMG_5712 IMG_3718

Located within the narrow lane between Campbell Street and Jalan Kampung Malabar, this cafe has been operating for almost 50 years.

Make a visit to this cafe for a light and simple breakfast. Parking spaces are available on both of these streets. Click here for the Map Location.

IMG_5722

Toh Soon Cafe
Campbell Street
10100 Penang

Tel : 04 2613754

GPS Coordinates : N05º 25′ 08.0″   E100º 19′ 54.7″

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, February 23rd, 2009 at 6:24 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Roti Bakar. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

My favourite type of breakfast, half boiled egg and some toasted bread.
I didn’t know that the breads are made at their bakery…

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Hokkien Mee @ Presgrave Street

February 23rd, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Been there before but have to prepare to wait for their roti bakar as lots of people patronize this shop. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Sabah Food Hunt Part 2 ~ Garden Seafood Restaurant

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Good contents, good pics! No wonder this is my fav food blog! The signboard is priceless – we don’t have it here anymore! No roti bakar too…can’t wait to visit Penang! xD

James Wong´s last blog post..jan shim and my casual portrait shoot

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:55 pm

never noticed this place tucked between some alley in Campbell St.

the famous murtabak of Maheedia (or something like that) also on Campbell St, is it?
geez … its been so long.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Akamomiji – The Latest Japanese Restaurant in Ipoh?

February 23rd, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I agreed with you… Roti Bakar sure tastes delicious with charcoal and toasted that way. I used to eat at one kopitiam (now closed down because the old man passed away) at the traffic light junction of Ayer Itam & Perak Road, near a Chinese Temple of some sort. The owner used the same style of clay stove embedded inside a large used tin drum as in your picture. He said it’s special made and there’s even a flap to cover the gap at the grill compartment. I can assured you it tasted better than French Toast in Toaster! The bread must be Roti Bengali laaaa :-D In Europe where to find Roti Bengali such as this version from Malaysia? Only way I can toast the bread a la Kopitiam is over the fireplace and only in Winter… and have to use Pain De Mie bread or ask the bakery to cut at certain thickness for me. Oh, must use Kaya also and do the ‘Roti Kahwin’ :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Chicken In Creamy Tomato Sauce

February 24th, 2009 at 12:06 am

I’m too lazy to go out for roti bakar breakfast. Sometimes, I just prapare my own toasts, coffee and half boiled eggs, hehe…cost saving.
Hmm…me too, I like the Bengali roti due to its QQ texture. Very nice.

little inbox´s last blog post..Simple Dinner @ Loke Thiem (Hakka) Restaurant @ Patani Jaya, SP

February 24th, 2009 at 8:05 am

Wow, I didn’t even realize there’s such a shop in good old Penang! Thank you for the introduction to a newbie like me :) Certainly haven’t tried charcoal toasted bread before!

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Wholesale market in Beijing

February 24th, 2009 at 8:14 am

oh i love this place!!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Georgetown White Coffee, Komtar

February 24th, 2009 at 8:25 am

Allie – A poster of their bakery products is displayed in the cafe too.

Food Paradise – Have to go early to avoid the office crowd…or else have to wait.

James Wong – There are still many roti bakar in town but only a few uses charcoal.

J2Kfm – This cafe comes before the Hameediyah outlet…its on the same side.

February 24th, 2009 at 9:44 am

Pixen – You sure know how to get your roti bakar even when you are out of the country.

Little inbox – The Bengali roti texture is suitable for toasting and good with soup and curry.

Iamthewitch – Charcoal burned roti are tastier than those by toaster…do try to visit this place if you are in town.

Duckie – Many Penangites do…thats why this place is so crowded especially on weekends.

February 24th, 2009 at 10:02 am

Their toast bread is not bad. I even marked down their supply at Kedah Road. The bread factory sells wonderful bread.

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 24th, 2009 at 10:47 am

wow, we dont see much of those charcoal toasted bread these days. am glad that the tradition lives on! hope to visit someday! ;)

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..HUP KEE SEAFOOD RESTAURANT

February 24th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

pls pls…. put a health warnings to all your posts.

I CAN NOT TAHAN already!! AHHHH….. i go jump off cliff.

iMyFish´s last blog post..Popping Vitamins – shouldn’t we all be doing this?

February 24th, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Soo Sean – I would like to check out their other products in the bakery too.

Nic (KHKL) – Happy that we still get to eat this type of toast bread around Pg.

iMyFish – Don’t jump la…continue reading and control yourself…haha
Btw…you have an informative blog too.

February 24th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I also like food cooked with charcoal. Besides the taste, it also brings back a lot of my childhood memories. ;)

lk´s last blog post..Luo Han Zhai/ Loh Han Chai (????- 2

February 24th, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Pure nostalgic stuff from the memorable past. I love the clay stove double up as a toaster oven.

Chin´s last blog post..NZ Curry House – Wangsa Maju, KL

February 27th, 2009 at 9:29 am

lk & Chin – I agree with both of you…this method of cooking does bring back good memories but sad to see its already pacing out.

February 27th, 2009 at 3:25 pm
Bris77

CK Lam, Toh Soon is one of my fav place when it comes to toast bread.. but at times, it test my patience as the Indonesian-girl cudn’t remember what I have ordered, and thus I keep waiting and waiting! There was once I went there at 7am, and waited fr 30++minutes.. sigh.. At times, I observed that ppl who came later was served 1st before me.. not fair :( *sob sob*
For toast bread lover, you guys cud check out a small little stall next to Eu Yan Sang, Kapitan Keling area (same row as Kuan Yim Theng temple), closed on weekend. Cud chk it out!

March 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 am
BH TAN

It really a very nice place, last time always go there with my friends. The toast bread is really not bad, can also try “steam bread” the taste also not bad. The coffee at there really very good, i always order for iced coffee(remember to ask for less ice cube)

March 3rd, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Bris77 – Sometimes orders can get mix up especially when its crowded but that happens once in a while. In the end when you eat the tasty food, everythiing is forgotten…haha, right?
Will try the stall that you recommend…thks.

BH Tan – Iced coffee should be nice on a sunny hot day… good idea :)

March 3rd, 2009 at 9:20 pm

quite hard to find these saucer and cup.

foodbin´s last blog post..CHICKEN CHOP

March 6th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
foodfan

can you provide the map of this kopitam, i m not local…

March 12th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

foodbin – These saucer and cups can still be found in many shops around town.

foodfan – Do read the last paragraph, the link to the map location is stated clearly there.

March 12th, 2009 at 3:04 pm
zanne

the hai nan bread + charcoal bake is nice I think cant get at town area btw I don’t like the tau keh soh ..who 1st order then found that she didn’t follow the turn

It bound to happen on off especially when it is rush hour.

June 21st, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pictures. I love with this little corner, and can’t wait to go back for a cuppa of Kopi O and toasted bread! The last time there was at least a year plus ago: http://www.asiarediscovery.com/malaysian/98-penang-george-town-campbell-street-toh-soon-cafe-toasted-bread-roti-bakar

Everything is still the same as it was a year ago…the ambiance and the quality of the bread and coffee.
Thanks for sharing your blog with me too :)

May 5th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

What I can said was, this place is now my family’s Hunting Ground since the last one I experienced @ the corner of Perak Rd Kopitiam. Now. this place was taken over by the owner of the rows of houses for his furnishing company.

August 17th, 2010 at 1:22 am
pay me i also wont go again

last time my father and i went to have breakfs at this so called best food in penang. it happened that my father was scolded by the indonesian maid. the reason is my father ask her to order food as we have been sitting for 30 minutes and they are busying with other customer. no matter how gud the food is, i cant tolerant with bad customer service. even when we want to paid, we called the tau keh soh.. almost another 30 minutes pass, she still busying with others and my father call her again, she showed us her frustrated expression and yelled as us ‘ dan zit eh lah’ ( wait a while in hokkien). i never understood why they can scold their customer. we pay and we are their boss. eventually, we actually spend 5 minutes eating and another 1hour ++ juz waiting. so even u pay me , i also wont go again.

July 23rd, 2011 at 12:23 am

1. My Two Girls – All About Zara and Zaria » Penang 2009    Dec 10 2009 / 2pm:

[...] of the late morning heat, this time we didn’t go that far. We stopped for tea and toast at Toh Soon (yummy!), packed Char Siew Rice for the girls from Jit Seng (girls gave thumbs up); had char kuey [...]

2. Bottoms Up! » Blog Archive » Vacation, Finally    Jun 12 2010 / 1am:

[...] Toh Soon Cafe (Lebuh Campbell). We had their iced coffee two days in a row and we’re pretty sad that we can’t have it anymore! I’m not sure why it’s so appealing, but to me, it’s strong yet light, which means it goes down easily and doesn’t make my stomach churn, unlike our local coffeeshop versions. [...]

3. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] and Eggs – Tanjung Tokong Ah Wang Cafe Toast Breads and Eggs – Eng Loh Roti Taiwan Toast Breads and Eggs – Charcoal Toasted Toh Soon Cafe Jalan Campbell Toast Breads and Eggs – Sungai Tiram Toast Breads and Eggs – Madras Lane Kiah Hong Wan [...]