Most Penangites would have heard or tried the famous night-time Duck Koay Chiap in Kimberley Street, Penang. It is a stall by the roadside located just a few shops down from Restaurant Goh Huat Seng. The proprietor, Mr Por has been been serving Koay Chiap for almost twenty-nine years in this usual selling spot. For over the span of three decades, Mr Por has insisted on using local ingredients, while preparing everything himself. Ranging from the Koay Chiap to the stewed duck to the chili sauce, everything is prepared by him and has remained his trade secret all this while.

I had the privilege this time around to be invited by him to witness the process of making and preparing these famous Koay Chiaps, as well as the rest of the  dishes.  I was very surprise to learn how  tedious and time consuming the process to churn out the Koay Chiap! The process is done by hand as machine is still unable to take over the process as it involves a lot of stop and break in between.The proprietor’s son who is being groom up to assist his father with the daily operations was on hand to show me the process of making the Koay together with his mother. The Koay is made just like how the apong balik is made.

img_3899.jpg

Step 1: Flour and water mixed by hand.

img_3915.jpg

Step 2: Mixture carefully mixed until smooth & milky.

img_4011.jpg

Step 3: Oil coated pans being warmed up to prepare to cook the Koay

img_4021.jpg

Step 4: The mixture being ladled into a bowl, and brought to the pans

img_4064.jpg

Step 5: Mixture poured onto the heated pan & cook over gas stove

img_4058.jpg

Step 6: The pan is moved to ensure the mixture is evenly spread out

img_4065.jpg

Step 7: The pan delicately swirled, very much similar to Apong making

img_4071.jpg

Step 7: It is then placed on the gas stove for it to cook

img_4095.jpg

Step 8: Once cooked, it is then swiftly placed on the 2nd pan which uses charcoal fire for the warming process

img_4089.jpg

Step 9: It is left there to be warmed, while you can see another piece being made on the right

img_4094.jpg

Step 10: After a few minutes of being warmed, it is lifted from the 2nd pan and placed on a rattan tray to cool

img_4170.jpg

Step 11: Once the tray is full, it will be placed on a shelf

img_4194.jpg

Step 12: After completely cooled, it will be cut manually into pieces with a scissor

img_4176.jpg

img_4162.jpg

Mr Por giving the final details of the process

The preparation of the stew duck is as interesting. Among the major ingredients for the preparation of the stew is star anise, cinnamon sticks, ginger and a few others. Of course, as the pictures will show, other parts are stewed as well, such as duck gizzards, necks and wings and pig intestines and ear. The pot puree is left to stew till tender and soft and as one will guess that will take a few hours. The stew has to be continuously stirred or else the bottom of the pot may get burn and that will ruin the whole stew with burnt smell.

img_4216.jpg

Step 1: All parts separated out, and then washed & cleaned

img_3963.jpg

Step 2: The intestines are stewed first, followed by the duck

img_4212.jpg

Step 3: Duck meat with all other ingredients left to stew-to-taste

Besides the above ingredients, they also prepare their own stewed eggs, the chili paste and fried garlic. For those not preferring Koay, do not worry as there are also other choices to go with the dishes such as rice and porridge. A basic bowl of Duck Koay Chiap is RM5 with plentiful of ingredients plus a whole stewed hard boiled egg, while add-on are charged separately.

On Carnovan Street, turn left into Kimberley Street. Pass by Restaurant Goh Huat Seng. It is around 200 metres down the road. Click here for the Map Location.

Business Hours : around 6.45pm, sells right through 11pm (Closed on Thursday)
GPS Coordinates : N05°24’58.4″   E100°19’58.4″

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, February 9th, 2009 at 1:00 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Koay Chiap, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Very informative documentary. I like it!

cariso´s last blog post..Bravo Italiana @ I-Avenue

February 9th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Very interesting! And Mr. Por has been doing it for 29 year? What an expert! Great that he is passing it to his son :)

Selba´s last blog post..Es Cendol = Es Dawet

February 9th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Wow love this! The stuff the Food Channel should be making shows out of! Keep it up!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Tasty treats from the greener sides of the fence

February 9th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

But still I like the ‘koay’ from the the ‘Koay Chaip’ stall opposite the Air Itam market, although the soup is a bit too salty now a days. The ‘koay’ has more texture and body.

Soup wise is the one that we went to last December during our Penang food trip, also in Ait Itam.

As for the Kimberley Street ‘Koay Chiap’, they still have to prove to us their worthiness.

February 9th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This is one of the koay chap stall that I usually visit. lol wow….. I love the step by step. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..T.G.I Friday @ Queensbay Mall

February 9th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Cariso – Do try it when you are down in this part of the town.

Selba – The owner is a lucky chap to have his son following up and its good that we get to enjoy the food in years to come.

550ml jar of faith – Glad you like it. Did it make you miss Penang food more?

Jason Wong – Each stall makes their koay and their soup to suit their customers…as some like it with texture and others like it a bit soft.
The owner have been making this ‘koay’ for the past years and his customers seems to be coming back for more.

Food Paradise – I do frequent this stall, usually on the weekends.

February 9th, 2009 at 4:19 pm

wow! insider news! i jz went yesterday to eat it for dinner be4 hopping on my bus back! but its RM5 already. hahaa..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Air Flown Kolok Mee from Sarawak, ETA 2am, 4th Feb 09 Flight AK5219

February 9th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

ThenomadGourmand – Thanks for highlighting it. Looks like I am still on the holiday mood…haha.

February 9th, 2009 at 5:36 pm

interesting!!!
how did you get to see the entire process?

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..????, ??? 2nd day of Chinese New Year

February 9th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I’ve only had this dish once in Penang. Love it! I wonder if I can get any in KL.

Pigpigscorner´s last blog post..Lemongrass & Ginger Cake

February 9th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

now you look like TV8 Hochak host.

thamchiak´s last blog post..Bak Kut Teh ???

February 9th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

New Kid On The Blog – After much chit chating, the owner was kind to allow me to see it.

Pigpigscorner – I am sure there is but I am not too sure of the whereabouts of this type of stalls.

Thamchiak – sure boh?

February 9th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

You have a fantastic blog, Ms Lam! So glad I dropped by! xD

James Wong´s last blog post..chap goh meh + birthday

February 9th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Wow!! This is my favourite koay chiap stall. Thanks so much for the informative step by step guide to the making of this wonderful dish.
Great great blog you have here. cheers!!

Lillian´s last blog post..Nyonya Cafe @ New World Park

February 9th, 2009 at 11:48 pm

A very informative and interesting post! Well done, CK!

February 10th, 2009 at 12:24 am

I love Koay Chap, but never know that the making process is so time consuming. CK,thank you for showing us the making.

My Taste Heaven

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Chinese New Year part 9: Ba Gua ??- Bee Cheng Hiang ???

February 10th, 2009 at 7:29 am

wow very detailed and informative

duckie´s last blog post..Young Heart Restaurant, Cantonment Road

February 10th, 2009 at 8:47 am

Wow. I’m not a big fan of koay chap per say (hides from all the stones thrown at me) but I’ll have to say I’m very impressed with all the work and skill that goes into the making of it.

Thanks for sharing this… very educational. :)

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Persimmon Passion Flute

February 10th, 2009 at 8:51 am

That is my favourite stall. Not only the kuai chap is nice, their duck porridge is best too!

How come you know the owner? Must be a very interesting trip for you.

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 10th, 2009 at 11:31 am

James Wong – I am glad that you like my blog and I am happy knowing you.

Lillian – Do drop by again for more updates :)

lk – Try it when you are up in Penang.

My Taste Heaven – At least now, we know how they prepare the koay.

Duckie – Go & try the koay.

Life for Beginners – I was impressed too when I saw the tedious preparation and the effort put into making it.

If you happen to be in Penang, give it a try, you won’t know, you might like it.

Soo Sean – It was an interesting outing for me…it was very hot but its worth every minute of it…got to see it first hand. The owner was very kind to let me join in.

You are right about the food…both the koay and the porridge is equally good.

February 10th, 2009 at 11:50 am
See Meng

Maybe if you can tell us Jason Wong’s koay chap stall and let us try that too.
Anyway, this stall u r featuring has a subtle soup flavor and I’ve been patronising it since RM2 price! And I must say RM5 is quite pricely for Penangite.
However, Sg Koay Chiap does not gives duck meat, duck intestines, blood nor gizzards. They mainly substitute with pork, pork skin, intestines, tao pok, fish cake, which do not taste sweet compare to this stall. So still thumbs up to Penang hawkers!

February 10th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I love this… when are you starting your own program call “CK See… CK Shoot… CK Savour…”??? hehe :P I also had the Koay Chiap few days back with Rebecca on her way back KL. :)

February 10th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Aww.. I’m drooling by your pictures!! Anyway, Nice shots of it!

Victor´s last blog post..Dinner at Yan’s house

February 10th, 2009 at 4:28 pm
wahcow

very nice and informative !!…is this the same kway chup you brought us to when we were in penang ?….

the intestines were wonderful..no smell…yum !

February 10th, 2009 at 10:36 pm

See Meng – Thanks for sharing the Sg koay chiap with us. The other stalls that were mentioned earlier is opposite the Ayer Itam market and another in the coffee shop next to the bridge after the same market.

Victor – Nice having you dropping by :)

Wahcow – This is the koay chiap that all us had…glad that you like it.

February 11th, 2009 at 12:45 am

It so interesting to get to know how this koay chiap is prepared. GReat info!

Allie´s last blog post..Announcement

February 11th, 2009 at 10:37 am

in-depth coverage of the kway chap! i always thought that the way of making it is similar to chee cheong fun. looks like its another chapter altogether! definitely needs good skills for this.

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Tell-A-Tale (Part 29): The World According To Samsa

February 11th, 2009 at 1:48 pm

i’m not a big fan either, but tried one near the Kek Lok Si at Ayer Itam last time.
not bad, but not up my alley lah …hehe ..

but cool how they let u in on the ‘secrets’ of their Koay Chiap.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Villa Seafood Restaurant @ Kampung Cina, Sitiawan – A Toast to the Good Times

February 11th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

hi CK, a terrific piece because it’s a change from the usual food review. A rarity to see a blogger go behind the scenes on street food. Good job! A belated Xin Nian Quai Le to you.

Jane Lee´s last blog post..Kayrin’s First Poem

February 11th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Oh I just went there on last Saturday! What a coincidence that you should write about this just after that. :) It’s very interesting story that you tell… But too bad I didn’t fancy it. My bf was the one slurping all away. It looked too gross for me… LOL

iamthewitch´s last blog post..The Great Wall of China

February 11th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Allie – Really is interesting…seeing it step by step.

Nic (KHKL) – I too thought that it was easily done…but at least now I know how tedious it was after seeing it myself.

J2Kfm – The owner just show the basic of how he does the koay chiap…nothing more than that :)

Jane Lee – Gong Xi Fa Cai to you too…all wishes are never too late. Good to hear from you again.

Iamthewitch – Each of us have our likes & dislikes..and nice to know that your bf is one great foodie like me.

February 11th, 2009 at 6:31 pm
Mama Sherl

The stall at Reservoir Garden (Air Itam) – Kek Seng Kopi Tiam taste much better. The kuih is more soft and chewy. I’ve been to the Kimberly Street so many times and each time, the Air Itam koay chiap won……

February 12th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Mama Sherl – I have tried out a few koay chiap in Air Itam with my friends on our food trip but did not had the one that you mentioned.
Will definitely try it out…:)

February 12th, 2009 at 7:53 pm
Yen

Wah!! I’ve been eat for 20+ years di. Now only know the koay is made by themselves one!!! Interesting!!!

February 19th, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Yen – Did not know that so much work is put into making the ‘koay’ by them until I see it myself…not easy lor.

February 19th, 2009 at 10:31 pm
honey

im a big lover of it, almost every week at least 1 koay chiap for me. hahaha

thanks for showing us the ‘behind the scene’

March 5th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Honey – its amazing to hear that you patronized the koay chiap stall every week.
Now that you know how tedious it is in making the koay chiap, will you be visiting it more often…haha.

March 5th, 2009 at 4:49 pm
Karen Lim

one of my all time favorites in Penang and this page is well written too. I would never know how they make the Koay if not of this page.

March 13th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Karen Lim – Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the compliment. Glad you like it.

March 13th, 2009 at 6:41 pm
Jocelyn Ho

Beng Guan, syabas… keep up the good job… heritage to your son so we can still eat it during my old days…. no gigi by that time…

May 22nd, 2009 at 11:43 pm
C Girl

I’ve been eating his koay chap since i was a kid =). His stall is right in front of my house. Now, he have buyover the house from my dad and he will be expanding the area soon!

June 28th, 2012 at 10:51 am

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

[...] Kimberley, Penang, Malaysia. Business Hours: 6.30pm – 11.30pm Closed On: Thursdays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/02/the-making-of-kimberley-street-duck-koay-chiap/ http://pegasuskl.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/dessert-kuih-chiap-kimberly-street/ [...]

2. Penang Hawker Food at Kedai Kopi Wah Meng, Air Itam | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 09 2010 / 4pm:

[...] This coffee shop offers a variety of hawker food. We chose to start with the Loh Duck Koay Chap (flat broad rice sheets) with some meaty toppings. A bowl at RM 4.00 comes with plenty of ingredients, braised duck meat, bean curd, congealed blood, hard-boiled egg and innards of intestines and liver. Many customers liked the soup for its clearer and lighter flavor, indeed different compared to the Kimberley Street Duck Koay Chiap. [...]

3. Kimberley Street’s Koay Chiap + Shiong Hor Hin | Cariso Delicacies Corner    Jun 22 2010 / 11pm:

[...] blood.Pig’s ear.Koay Chiap. You can go here for the making of Koay Chiap by [...]

4. Pot Filled with Treasure @Goh Huat Seng Restaurant | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Aug 02 2010 / 1pm:

[...] traditional steamboat meal, do give them a call to make a reservation. It is on the same row as the Kimberley Street Koay Chiap. Click here for the Map Location. Goh Huat Seng Restaurant 59A  Kimberly Street 10100 Penang Tel : [...]

5. Chen Hong - Penang Food Ambassador for Taiwan | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 14 2011 / 8pm:

[...] Duck Koay Chiap Kimberley Street 10100 Penang [...]

6. Chen Hong – Penang Food Ambassador for Taiwan - Food, Liftstyle | Broadcast.my    Jun 15 2011 / 9am:

[...] Duck Koay ChiapKimberley Street10100 Penang [...]

7. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] House] KL Style Hokkien Char Fat Noodle Jalan Dato Keramat Koay Chap [Air Itam Wah Meng Kopitiam] Koay Chap [Kimberley Street] Koay Teow Soup [Pitt Street Eel Fish Ball at Carnarvon Street] Koay Teow Soup [Jalan Kimberley Duck [...]

8. Duck koay chiap | Austin Bush Photography    Mar 02 2012 / 3pm:

[...] Like the Thai version, the dish was served with wide rice noodles that resemble tiny carpet rolls; as illustrated in CK Lam’s blog, the noodles are still made by the proprietor himself. Unlike Thai kuay jap, a bowl is served with [...]

9. Street food crawl at Kimberley Street, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 16 2012 / 9am:

[...] dish of rice noodles served in flavourful dark coloured soup, koay chiap is synonymous with Kimberley Street. This dish is served with duck meat and braised egg. A basic [...]