After much delay and location change, Canton-i finally opened their doors at the ground floor of Queensbay Mall, Penang. This brand; which is associated with the Dragon-i line of restaurants, offers varieties of authentic Hong Kong cuisines. Upon stepping into this restaurant, the ambiance and atmosphere radiating from its surrounding was completely different of Dragon-i. Well, the open kitchen concept is still adopted, but the interior design; laced in pink and white colour themes, was a pleasant change. As I browsed through, I noticed the walls were mounted with huge mirrors, giving the place a spacious feeling.

img_5774-1.jpg

The interior shot of the restaurant.

Taking a peek into the kitchen, one could spot the racks of roasted items hung along the glass enclosure, varying from the roast meat to the roast goose. Furthermore, there is a take away counter in the front of the shop for its delicious pastry line. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on those egg tarts, but dinner was first, so I will touch on the dessert items later. I came to know that all the items are prepared in-house by their team  of chefs from Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

img_5758.jpg

The open kitchen allows customers a full view of the preparation of the food.

After browsing through the colourful menu, we picked out several appetite whetting dishes. First came was my most sought-after dish, the Roast Goose. Better known as “siew ngor” to Cantonese natives, this dish is staple in Hong Kong’s Roast Meat shops, but Penang (and in fact, Malaysia) have not caught up with this yet.

I found that the roast goose has a stronger meat flavour, with the flesh firmer than its duck counterpart. The gravy is salty savoury with hint of the seasoning spices; it went very well with the sauce served with it.

Regular portion – RM32
Half bird – RM68
Whole bird – RM138

img_5791-1.jpg
Irresistable Roast Goose…

Next came the Roast Pork Belly – RM18. It was perfectly done! The texture of this lovely piece of meat carved out of perfection, with the crispy skin and tasteful meat marination. Furthermore, I really like the way Canton-i maintains the originality of this dish by serving the siew bak with the Chinese mustard dipping sauce.

img_5802.jpg
Even the groundnuts taste so good as an accompliment…

The last of the roast meat that we had was the Honey Glazed Roast Pork – RM16. Again, I found it very flavourful and moist but is slightly sweet due to the meat being glazed with honey. All the above assorted meat goes with rice or noodles.

img_5797.jpg

My favourite type of Char Siew, half fats and half lean meat…

Dragon-i had their signature dish of La Mian & Xiao Long Bao, whereas Canton-i marketed their Hong Kong Wonton Noodles as their signature dish, which has been famed for being super QQ …super springy texture. We had the dry version noodle, which came with a bowl of soup. The fine strand of noodles were indeed springy and comes in quite a big portion. Indeed an excellent accompliment to the three roast meat that we had.

Plain Noodles
- RM4
Assorted Roast Meat Noodles
- RM11.80 (soup)
- RM12.80 (dry)

img_5845.jpg

Another popular dish that has yet to catch on in Malaysia is the Cuttlefish and Jellyfish with Sesame Oil – RM9.80. Relatively similar to the Jellyfish dish in Dragon-i, we really enjoyed the texture of the jellyfish and it goes hand in hand with the cuttlefish.

img_5793-1.jpg

Cutlets of cuttlefish, served with strands of jellyfish.

For snacks and light meals, one of my recommendations would be the Deep Fried Cuttlefish Pancake – RM13 which comes in a crispy coating of crumbs. This is really tasty and goes well with the dipping sauce. I’m not entirely too sure about the contents of this dish, but I would just mention that it is indeed a snack that I really enjoyed.

img_5822.jpg

Next came another Cantonese speciality, thick and creamy congee! This is the type of congee that I personally prefer over the Penang “moi” style which is more watery. Amazingly, the congee cooked in Canton-i is boiled using three different types of rice! There are many combinations & choices that you could choose to go with your congee, and for this meal, I had mine with a combination of sliced fish and beef. This comfort food with condiments of ginger and spring onions really warms up the stomach.

Congee with two combination – RM11.80
Congee with three combination – RM13.80

img_5825.jpg

img_5831.jpg

Finally, our last dish for the night was the Steamed Prawn Dumpling with Omelette Skin – RM10. Indeed a very unique dim sum dish, using egg omelette skin to wrap prawns. It is very similar to a ‘purse’ full of fillings of prawns and served pipping hot out of the steamer.

img_5833.jpg

img_5872.jpg
A close up shot of the uniquely shaped dim sum just freshly out of the steamer.

I was recommended by one of my friends who patronized this place before to try out their hot beverages particularly the Flowering Red Amaranth – RM5. The herbs and flowers used to make this drink is artistically beautiful, you can have a look at it in the photo below. The tea was served in a see-through glass with the green tea leaves wrapping around the red flower. A beautiful tea indeed with a mild flower taste.

img_5851.jpg

We topped up our meal with three pieces of egg tart at RM5. The flaky pastry tarts have a very nice texture filling with the right sweetness. We even bought some to take home.

img_5886-1.jpg

Needless to say, the place is very neatly arranged and hygienic, with the waitress very attentive to your every need.

Canton-i
GF-12 & GF-13
Queensbay Mall
100 Persiaran Bayan Indah
11900 Bayan Lepas
Penang

Tel : 04 645 6688

Business Hours :
Mon – Fri 11am – 10pm
Sat/Sun/Public Holiday 10.30am – 10pm

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 at 11:52 pm and is filed under Bayan Lepas, Chinese, Penang, Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Oh myyyy oh myyyy..so delicious! The squid must be larger than our usual ones right? Such large squid I saw only when I was in Thailand’s fresh markets! I think if the squid’s meat cut like that is ok but not the whole squid :-D Kind of reminded me of Humboldt Squid :-w The bowls of congee sure made me salivating! I can’t resist congee like that… Even the decor is so calm and bright with Plum Flower/Mei Hwa ornated wrought iron. Oh wow… must plan the trip there soon. Thank you so much for sharing. :-)

pixen´s last blog post..Chicken In Creamy Tomato Sauce

February 26th, 2009 at 1:00 am

been meanin to try Canton-i for the longest time. no bad reviews yet it seems!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..A Taste Boutique, Red Velvet Cake and Recipe

February 26th, 2009 at 6:24 am

my friend also posted up some pics of this eatery..seems like it’s quite popular with good Cantonese fair..couldn’t wait to try them..

February 26th, 2009 at 8:07 am

I went there last week with my friends and most of the foods taste not bad. Will visit them another day before I posted out my review. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Sabah Food Hunt Part IV ~ Upperstar Cafe & Bar

February 26th, 2009 at 8:18 am

It seems like there is huge market of Hongkie food, but I wonder if they can survive through the hard time we are having now…

February 26th, 2009 at 8:32 am

I went there when it just opened for less than a week! That time the waiters were not very efficient/attentive. And I actually found the noodles rather expensive… RM12.80 for a plate of wantan mee with wantan! I could eat a few bowls of wantan mee elsewhere with that price..

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Summer Palace in Beijing

February 26th, 2009 at 8:44 am

truly Hong Kong, but seems, you miss out the milk tea ya?!! Anyway, I have yet to try Canton-i, BUT after reading your review, should check it out soon!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Yoyo Flavour @Bercham, Ipoh

February 26th, 2009 at 9:29 am

I also found that the char siew is slighty too sweet. :P
I like your first picture. Great shot!

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Duck Drumstick Mee Suah @ Sg. Pinang

February 26th, 2009 at 9:40 am

wah… cannot tahan liaw, ck! pass me the tissue paper, i’m drooling..! xD

James Wong´s last blog post..jan shim and my casual portrait shoot

February 26th, 2009 at 10:30 am

the pictures tell a thousand words!! i dont need to read the content. :)

in fact, I have a post on Canton-i in 1U, yet to publish. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Perak Road Bak Kut Teh

February 26th, 2009 at 11:42 am

i love the egg tarts here! but drinks are expensive lo cos mostly filled with ice. stick to plain water next time! lol

lingzie´s last blog post..Love, Life & Chocolates @ Schokolart, Solaris Mont Kiara

February 26th, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Pixen – The congee is good…till now, I haven’t come across such smooth texture in Pg. I will be going back to try out the other items.

ThenomadGourmand – So far, most visitors love the food at this place.

Adel – It is a popular restaurant, just like Dragon-i…need to queue especially on weekends.

Food Paradise – Waiting to see your review!

February 26th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

AsianFoodGallery – This, nobody can predict but we love to see them staying around as they bring plentiful varieties for us to enjoy.

Iamthewitch – Its true, but its difficult to find this type of noodle texture around town.

SimpleGirl – I miss out the milk tea s I wanted to have the Red Amaranth drink. Sure will try out the milk tea on the next round.

Allie – Thanks allie, trying my best to handle the new camera.

James Wong – Why don’t you make a food trip down here…haha

New Kid On The Blog – Can’t wait to see your choice of food…

Lingzie – I even tau pau the tarts home for supper. Do try the Flowering Red Amaranth drink…its refillable with hot water.

February 26th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

The ambience must be really nice….

The flower tea looks beautiful :)

Selba´s last blog post..Mie Ayam (Chicken Noodle)

February 26th, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I tell you, I die liau, I die liau….I am drowning in my own saliva. H E L P ….. must breathe, must breathe….. S..L…O…W….L…….Y

I always find the local char su a bit sweety. how this tasted?

iMyFish´s last blog post..Popping Vitamins – shouldn’t we all be doing this?

February 26th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Ooh that Flowering Red Amaranth drink looks very fascinating…. my experience with Canton-I has been too brief for me to make any conclusions so far… must go back and have a bigger, more comprehensive meal like you!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..BB Ho Steamboat, Bandar Puteri Puchong

February 26th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

no doubt, the price did stop a lot of ppl from step in.. agree it was a bit over …RM12 for wan tan mee :(

February 26th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

RM12 for WTM, soon this will be part of the life of all M’sians. everyone out there is trying to squeeze every bit of ‘juice’ fr consumers, the wholesaler, the suppliers, the couriers, the cooks, the owners…everybody and they always point their finger to others when comes to price hike,”oo..no me, the suppliers push price up ma….i only cari makan”

iMyFish´s last blog post..Popping Vitamins – shouldn’t we all be doing this?

February 26th, 2009 at 5:25 pm

what?! from Dragon-i to Canton-i?

i think all Penang floggers should unite and open Hokkien-i instead. Just that, when you guys do, dont forget to thank me for the idea. haha.. just kidding. the place looks good. I shall pay a visit soon.

February 26th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I’m particularly drawn to the Prawn Dumplings with Omelette skin.. wow never tried this before but sounds very enticing. Btw, great pics!

laukl´s last blog post..Abu Nasi Kandar @ Bali Bali Cafe

February 26th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I’m so with you on the porridge… I prefer creamier Cantonese porridge to the watery Hokkien version. Weird thing is, my Hokkien-descent Mom makes the Cantonese version but my Cantonese-descent Dad prefers the Hokkien version! :P

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Chanson

February 26th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

i try once b4 tis QB canton i ..dunt know y not so like it..not tat special…
but ck i like ur photo..change cam now?

fayefly´s last blog post..????? hainan curry rice

February 26th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Wow! As impressive as Canton-i! I agree with Allie, your first shot looked exactly like those photos taken in Interior Deco magazine!

cariso´s last blog post..Kim Gary ????!

February 26th, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Selba – The flower tea is a beautiful drink in terms of taste and looks.

iMyFish – This Honey Glazed Roast Pork is also on the sweeter side.

550ml jar of faith – Its nice to see your side of the review too.

Penangtuapui – Go and try out the noodles. You might have a different opinion after tasting it. Its far different from others.

Zeek – That sounds interesting too.

laukl – Besides this dumpling, there are many more items in the dim sum section. Glad you like the pics.

Life for Beginners – Looks like both of us have one thing in common when it comes to choosing our porridge…creamy ‘jook’.

fayefly – Got myself a Canon EOS 50D two months ago…still learning & practicing.

cariso – The restaurant is brightly lighted up…and this helps alot.

February 26th, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Wow! I found so many favourite dishes here. Hehehe! Luv the Red Amaranth!

lk´s last blog post..Corn chicken soup

February 27th, 2009 at 8:45 am

Price aside, I think it’s good compare to the few hong kong restaurants in town. But you really ordered a lot of food. How many of you were there? :)

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 27th, 2009 at 10:01 am

food looks delicious!!! i’m sure its worth the price paid!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Coffee Tree

February 27th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

lk – These are just part of the menu…many more to try out…which means more visits.

soo sean – Prices are still ok in return for quality food. The four of us really had a good time finishing all of it.

duckie – Most of them are ok except that the Honey Glazed Roast Pork was a bit too sweet.

February 27th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

as NKOTB said it, the photos says it all. wonderful shots. The price is somehow sending me “away” from this shop. So I’ve never tried it yet.

February 27th, 2009 at 7:13 pm

wow… recently keep busy on my assignment.. don hv time to go and visit all these delicious food…. wow… see all the roasted food…. look so tempting

JamieDawnRose´s last blog post..Eileen- my first try on B&W series

February 27th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

salivating, the price seems reasonable for quality food.

Vivien´s last blog post..Almond Biscotti

February 28th, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Nice pics. Have been there once and try out the big bowl of porridge with fish slices and pork liver but a bit too gluey for my tastebud. Will try out their egg tart next.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Eating Out @ Kocha……..

March 1st, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Buzzingbee – Once you try the food, you might be going back for more.

JamieDawnRose – The place could be quite packed on the weekend…do go early.

Vivien – I agree too…the quality of the food is slightly different.

Sweet Jasmine – Best to eat the warm egg tarts in the restaurant.

March 2nd, 2009 at 12:59 am
Bris77

Hi CK Lam, great pic! PTP is kinda correct.. price is too expensive for wantanmee… and for other dimsum! I guess egg tart is the cheapest pastry there.. and it’s considered okay. I have yet to find my dream-egg-tart yet :(

March 2nd, 2009 at 11:06 am
Max Weng

Hi CK Lam, I’m the one sit next table to you in Canton-I on Saturday nite (28/2/09). Remember? Nice to meet you here… Wah! so surprise that your blog are so attractive. Really impress with that… Next time dunno what to eat, I can visit ur page to refer liao… … hahahaha… Abt Canton-I food, mmmmmmm… good taste, BUT very expensive lo…

March 3rd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Bris77 – Remember to share your dream egg tart as soon as you find it.

Max Weng – Of course I remember the happy family sitting next to my table… how could I forget your cute little daughter and your beautiful wife.
Glad to see you dropping by. Do return for future updates as there will be plenty of yummy food :)

March 3rd, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I liked the egg tart most! but i found it to be expensive. Went into the restaurant once for tea time.. ordered egg tarts, polo bun, tau fu far and their famous milk tea.. It cost us RM30+ Once a while is Ok, Regular will burn my pocket hole lol.. Luv your photos very much! What camera are you using?

March 12th, 2009 at 11:15 pm
melissa

1st try is good but 2nd try I realise the food are not consistence…try not to order porridge after peak hours..its more watery

April 11th, 2009 at 6:03 pm
Leonard

I had a very bad experience in Canton-i a few weeks back. We found a fly in our wonton mee, and the waiter was not apologetic at all and just offered to exhange the plate with another one. WTF… how can you serve us another plate of the same food which will also be contaminated by the fly. Anyways, after much hangling, the restaurant decided to give us a free meal for the day, but only after we pulled a LARGE tantrum in front of a very full house. Even then they still dare to negotiate prices with us – 10% discount -> free food but pay drinks -> free everything. This was very unprofessional.

After this I think most probrably I kena black list by the shop already and cannot eat the nice “wu bao” rice anymore. But I’d rather do that than get my consumer rights being trampled on!

April 26th, 2009 at 6:29 pm
Jocelyn Ho

Soon Tak Fish Ball Congee is nice, starchy…

May 22nd, 2009 at 11:29 pm
FY

Any idea whether I can get a menu and prices from here? Would like to place an advance booking. Thks! :)

September 15th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

FY – They do not provide menus and prices but you can always enquire and book a place by giving them a call at : 04 645 6688.

September 15th, 2009 at 3:03 pm
chris

Too expensive, 4 plates of noodle and a plate of “chu cheong fun” cost us a hundred. We can get this kind of noodle from the hawker stalls in Penang. Some even taste loads better than Canton-I and loads cheaper.

October 4th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Food - Sky & Star Cafe | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 22 2009 / 12am:

[...] I definitely recommend the above two places to those who wants to grab some excellent roast meat (coffee shop style). Their prices are reasonable and the portions are worth the price, while the quality of roast meats are definitely one of the best in Penang. Of course there are others who would prefer to dine in comfort, and you could perhaps head over to Canton-i. [...]