Many hawker stalls do sell the Chinese sweet dessert of Peanut Tong Sui. This particular stall that we visited is located at the corner of Perak Lane and Jalan Jelutong, right beside the famous Perak Lane Fish Beehoon. This stall sells peanut tong sui which is commonly known as thor tau jin th’ng or fah sang tong sui with choices of add-on goodies.

img_7557.jpg

This hot dessert comes with three different types of add ons. You can opt for the Chinese crullers (yu jar kuai) and the steamed roots of sweet potato (yellow flesh) or the yam.

img_7555.jpg

img_7547.jpg

I’ll usually go for the combination of everything. Prices for a bowl of tong sui is from RM 1.00 onwards, with add-ons counted separately.

img_7566.jpg

This peanut tong sui is the clear type and is totally different from the thick peanut woo.

img_7578.jpg

One particular favorite of mine is the crullers soaked in the hot tong sui. Indeed tasty and very comforting for the tummy.

img_7584.jpg

Another add on is this bowl of bit-sized chunks of steamed yam and sweet potato. The combination of the roots with the tong sui may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I personally quite like it.

img_7581.jpg

Tender soft pieces of roots

img_7589.jpg

A filling bowl of ingredients

Click here for the Map Location of this tong sui stall. If you don’t fancy this, then try checking out the tang yuen tong sui or the red bean tong sui, all located in the town area.

img_7563.jpg

Perak Lane
11600 Penang

Closed on Monday and Tuesday (evening till night)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 4th, 2009 at 5:20 pm and is filed under Dessert, Hawker, Jelutong, Penang, Street Food, Tong-sui. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Long time did not savour peanut tong shui already. Wow… and can add on so many things. Never tried it. Will try it out soon. Thanks for sharing!

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Canton-i @ Queensbay Mall, Penang

April 4th, 2009 at 7:56 pm
Bris77

Hi CK, SOS…please help me hunt fah sang woo @ Pg Island! It’s my favourite since baby! The only place I saw this fah sang woo is at fancy restaurants like Starview and Maple Gold.. *sob sob* Anyone wanna start selling it as part time? Doubt there is any hawker stall @ Pg Island :(

April 4th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

tis tok lok ao aunty peanut tong sui i try once b4 quite yummy i like it yu jar kui !!!!

fayefly´s last blog post..????? keow teow chicken soup

April 4th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

oh, i love tong sui very much. But i did not see this stall during my last visit to the bee hoon th’ng place at Perak Lane

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Eastern & Oriental Hotel (E&O Hotel) Penang, Malaysia

April 4th, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Food Paradise – This is the only stall that I come across with so many add ons.

Bris77 – Will sure to inform you should I come across any delicious fah sang woo.

fayefly – The yu jar kui is the must have item.

My Taste Heaven – It could be their off day. Look out for it on your next visit.

April 4th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

My dear, this has to be one of my favourite posts of yours cos I simply LOVE tong sui! But it’s so hard to get decent tong sui here in KL. Now I know where to go… just all the way up north! :)

I wanna try that final bowl with all the add-ons so badly now, haha.

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..A Love Letter in Seven Days

April 5th, 2009 at 9:54 am

Cantonese normally will go for Peanut Paste thong sui…. right???

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Jurin Express Japanese Restaurant

April 5th, 2009 at 10:52 am

Long long time ago, I remember there’s a famous stall at Jelutong market selling peanut tong sui too, but now no more. I have not try the tong sui with sweet potato and yam. Look more yummy!

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Chuan Peng Heang ???

April 5th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Life for Beginners – Looks like you have a sweet tooth too besides writing sweet and romantic words in your blog :)

New Kid On The Blog – Yes, it is, but it’s not easy finding a good and pungent fah sang woo. I am still looking for it, any suggestion?

Little Inbox – Most people that eat the fish beehoon sure have a bowl of the peanut tong sui to go with their meal. Give it a try.

April 5th, 2009 at 4:48 pm

this is awesome beautiful tong shui! it takes time to brew a delicous bowl of tong shui! just a fantastic bowl of sweet that will last a great memory!

April 5th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

the 1st time I ordered the Fa Sang Tong Sui in Pg, somewher ein Relau I think, was surprised, as I expected the thick, creamy Fa Sang Wu.

kinda strange drinking something like barley, but taste likepeanut. :)

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food : Sin Wah Char Koay Teow & Kheng Pin Lor Bak

April 5th, 2009 at 8:47 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Oh gosh!!! I need the peanuts now! Now! I haven’t had this for the longest time!
If you ever visit Singapore, go try their Ah Balling Peanut Soup (Smith Street) – comes with Black Sesame Balls, among other flavours (yum-mee)

April 5th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I luv tong sui but haven’t tried this stall before.

lk´s last blog post..Black beans soup

April 5th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Good tong sui is a rarity in Penang, unlike in Ipoh. In my early days in Penang, was wondering why peanut tong sui was watery. Anyway in Rome, do as the Romans do! :-) In PJ SS2 there is KTZ which has good variety.

April 6th, 2009 at 12:24 am

This looks really like a great night snack :)

Selba´s last blog post..Selby’s Fondant Cupcakes

April 6th, 2009 at 9:22 am

Big Boys Oven – Can try having a bowl if time permits on your coming trip.

J2Kfm – This clear tong sui is mostly sold in Penang. It’s pretty difficult to find good fah sang woo…came across a few but not that nice.

Kaya MeeKoo – Will sure to try out the tong sui at Smith street if the timing is right…thanks.

lk – Try and see if it suits you.

Selba – Having a warm drink which is also filling is indeed nice :)

April 6th, 2009 at 9:36 am
rebeccalee

CK: you should try out the curry fish head opposite the tongsui stall .. really good. The quality of the old lady’s tongsui gone down .. can be pretty sweet at some days.

April 6th, 2009 at 10:10 am

the peanut tong sui should taste better than what i had at Orient Delight’s

foodbin´s last blog post..ORIENT DELIGHTS

April 6th, 2009 at 10:40 am

Hmm, I saw this type of peanut tong sui before, but it really didn’t manage to tempt me. I guess I still prefer Fah Sang Woo. :) If I’m not mistaken, the stall in Jelutong, opposite ‘Leng Lui Tong Sui’ sells fah sang woo as well. Need to double check that. :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..My maiden F1 experience at Sepang

April 6th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

i like the sticky, peanut butter type better!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Ivy’s Kitchen, Jalan Chow Thye

April 6th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Its not easy to find peanut tong sui. I know there is a stall at the corner coffee shop at Resevior Garden at night. Not bad as well.

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

April 6th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

rebeccalee – I saw the curry fish head stall, right after the junction…it was crowded.

foodbin – Can’t really tell but the food that you had looks ok.

iamthewitch – Thanks for sharing…will sure to check out the Jelutong stall and let you know about it.

duckie – Another fah sang woo lover…haha

Food Promotions – Will venture to reservoir garden to try it…thanks!

April 7th, 2009 at 12:29 am

Oh, I think the next stall is selling siam bean curd and fried oyster which is quite good too. Anyway, thanks for reminding me to revisit this stall. :)

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

April 7th, 2009 at 1:33 pm
anonymous

Talking about tongshui, there’s a tongshui stall owned by a lady who always wearing a checked cap/hat (like the burberry type :)) at mount erskine. There is a makan place where they have alot of hawker stalls open during lunch hour. It is located along Mount Erskine road approaching Fettes Park area, on the left side infront of the fettes park housing area.
She sells all sorts of thong shui which not could not be found easily nowadays.. Sweet potato sago with santan, gandum, peanut thongsui, bee kok moi, lek tao thng..etc
Very nice..

April 7th, 2009 at 2:38 pm
anonymous

oh ya, starview serves very very nice fa sang wu. Should try that out if you guys happen to eat there. They serve the fa sang wu with ‘wor paeng’..

April 7th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

soo sean – Very nice of you for sharing…like to try those too.

anonymous – Thanks for dropping in my food blog and sharing the places that you know. The fah sang woo sounds good :)

April 7th, 2009 at 2:51 pm
anonymous

It’s me again :) Now i suddenly remember there is this shop at one of the shop lots at the back of new world park. Opposite road of continental bakery, i once saw there’s a shop selling all sorts of thong sui like black sesame tongshui, fa sang woo, etc etc but not i’m not sure they still have it there.. have not tried b4.
I used to buy fa sang wu from a old man selling economy bee hoon at air itam at night. Very old school type and it’s thicky and nice. Not too sweet, just taste right. But i stopped taking it for several years until last year, i dropped by the place and realize that the stall is now owned by a younger boy also selling economy bee hoon and other types of thong sui. I m not sure if he is related to the old man or not. Asked for Fa sang wu but he said no more, not sure what he meant by no more – finished or not selling that anymore. So instead, i tried his peanut thong sui (not the thick one), not bad but abit too sweet..the stall is located at opposite Lai Lai air itam, after the roundabout on the way to penang hill.

April 7th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

anonymous – I am sure of going to check out the stall at air itam one of these nights. Heard about the shop behind new world park too.

April 7th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

CK – my reader told me about this stall which I haven’t tried. But I think the peanut soup, the best is at Jelutong market….so rich and aromatic. From your picture, I can already tell you that the Jelutong market one is a lot more pekat and not watery.

Rasa Malaysia´s last blog post..Chinese Recipe: Tomato Eggs

April 9th, 2009 at 9:23 am

By the way, next time I go home we can go makan together. :)

Rasa Malaysia´s last blog post..Chinese Recipe: Tomato Eggs

April 9th, 2009 at 9:24 am

Rasa Malaysia – Must look for the stall in Jelutong market, I like tongsui.
Love to makan together again. Hope this time around, you spend more days and go for a makan spree. :)

April 9th, 2009 at 10:22 am
Jocelyn Ho

another one opposite CIMB Komtar…the stall at the lorong. If anyone look for Peanut Butter type “toh tao Oh”… can mixed your own… use peanut butter, sugar, rice flour and water….. keep stir it under low hit till it turned creamy…yummy

May 22nd, 2009 at 11:18 pm
Rosalind Yee

Hi, I’m hunting for Peanut Creamy Paste Dessert “Fah Sang Woo” in Penang Island & Mainland. Any recommendations?

May 24th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Alan

I like the one near Tye Sin Street (roadside, beside the chinese school). The char bee hoon taste good too.

September 30th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

[...] Penang, Malaysia. Business Hours: 6pm – 11pm Closed On: Mondays & Tuesdays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/04/penang-dessert-peanut-tong-sui/ http://www.crizfood.com/719/perak-lane-peanut-soup/ [...]

2. Traditional Tong-Sui at Sweet-i in Sungai Dua, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 19 2010 / 10am:

[...] are two types of peanut tong-sui, the clear peanut tong-sui (thor tau jin th’ng), and the thick creamy version. Both versions cost RM1.50 per packet and [...]

3. Penang Hawker Food - Perak Lane Bak Moey (Pork Porridge) | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 03 2013 / 11pm:

[...] Map Location if you are in the Jelutong area. It is on Perak Lane and located diagonally across the peanut tong sui that I had posted up earlier. The place does not accommodate a lot of tables and is open from 6pm [...]