One of my favorite places for Beef noodles has to be the shop at the intersection of Beach and Chulia Street. This place is also known as the BOMBA BEEF KOAY TEOW as the landmark that stands out would be the fire station, located right opposite it. The shop has been selling beef noodles for many years now, and is still a hit with the locals and foreigners alike.

img_4900.jpg

img_4909.jpg

Very flavorful soup

img_3764.jpg

A must order for me is the specialty, cow bone marrow

img_3757.jpg

This tender piece of meat caught my eye

Since the shop serves mainly the office workers from the nearby offices, so it is available everyday except Sunday.

img_4888.jpg

Service with a smile!

******************

Sri Weld Food Court houses another stall, which also serves beef koay teow as well. This place is usually packed during lunch hour. Furthermore, it is in the center of the fnancial banking district of the island (near to Hongkong Bank). For me, the specialty is the coarse texture beef balls which are very springy. Bean sprouts are added in and are just crunchy enough to go with the koay teow as well.

p1150229.jpg

Koay teow mee with both smooth and coarse beef balls

p1150232.jpg

Rice with mix beef parts

p1150214.jpg

Prices : Starts from RM6, RM7 & RM8. Any other additions charged accordingly. The opening hours are from 10.30 am to 4pm and closed on Sunday.

Both of the stalls offer different speciality that I like. Click here for the Map Location, they are located nearby each other.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 at 8:19 pm and is filed under Beef Noodle, Dessert, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I like this , I like this ! Very much !But the one that I eat in Ipoh , their soup is very salty !

Thanks for sharing this with us . If I go PG one day , I will ask my friend to bring me there .

Bakeling´s last blog post..??????- By Chance

April 8th, 2009 at 11:35 pm

sleepless nite c tis really make me sooooo hungry ..aik i like beef noodle !!

fayefly´s last blog post..????? keow teow chicken soup

April 9th, 2009 at 1:07 am

The one in front of the bomba house is very clean with gloves and all :-) I used to frequent long time ago to a Beef Koay Teow soup along this Jepun Na Kay… sorry I can’t recalled the actual road name. It’s the road that links with Campbell St, Kg Malabar and Chulia St. The road also known for its Charcoal Char Koay Teow. So, far the old man’s version was the best. His version has strong herbal taste and the chilli sauce was homemade unlike nowadays which is actually bottled sauce. The innards very tender and I loved the tripe which he managed to cook until so tender. I doubt if the business was still there-his children either discontinued the business or can’t match their father’s skill… :-(

pixen´s last blog post..Lemongrass Chicken

April 9th, 2009 at 5:44 am

that girl is cute !!!! :p :p :p

April 9th, 2009 at 7:05 am

I just had beef noodles a few days ago! I had it at the corner shop along Chulia Street, opposite Rainforest Bakery. Have you been there? It’s quite special cause they use wantan noodles instead of normal noodles. And their wantan is delicious! :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..BBQ buffet at Yaki-Yaki

April 9th, 2009 at 8:42 am

I prefer the fire station one compare to the weld quay one :P

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Classic Hokkien Mee

April 9th, 2009 at 9:34 am

I really miss this a lot…esp the cow bone marrow, not available everywhere..the soup is super good also! I think this is the best in Penang ya?!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..David’s Diner@Greentown Square

April 9th, 2009 at 10:00 am

The beef noddle looks do delicious but unfortunately I am on a beef free diet…..:(

Alan´s last blog post..OXO

April 9th, 2009 at 11:57 am

Bakeling – If you come to Pg, let me know, I will bring you to try this noodle.

fayefly – Remember, it’s not open on Sunday.

pixen – Very interested to check out the place…hope to find it.

patricksars – Important is the tasty beef koay teow…haha

iamthewitch – Thanks for recommending…will look out for the place.

allie – I like the soup from the stall opposite the fire station too…its more flavorful.

SimpleGirl – I do request for additional bone marrow but sometimes they don’t have sufficient for add-on.

Alan – I do know many friends that don’t take beef due to certain reasons. We are lucky in Malaysia that there are so many other food to eat.

April 9th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

You like beef as well? You can try out the beef steamboat at Kham Khee. I have just blogged it. http://www.soo-sean.blogspot.com
Hope it would not sounds to hard sell to you. Just want to share good food.

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

April 9th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

the beef balls sure looks springy-will try it when i am in Penang

foodbin´s last blog post..HAWKER STALL LUNCH

April 9th, 2009 at 12:46 pm

cow bone marrow! that sounds fantastic! i can imagine the sweetness of the broth with it!

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Ken Noodle House

April 9th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

oh i have been wanting to try here but 10.30 to 4pm is just not the right time for me … sad ler

duckie´s last blog post..Haadyai Trip – Part 1 (Regency Hotel, Haadyai)

April 9th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

soo sean – It’s a wonderful recommendation…thanks my friend.

foodbin – Good idea.

Nic (KHKL) – This is the only stall that I know of that has this delicious marrow. The soup is very flavorful.

duckie – Hopefully you are free on Saturday.

April 9th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

YAY! I love this place. I have updated my post, to include a link to yours, great photos mate!

Julian Si´s last blog post..Rama V – Thai fine dining in the heart of KL

April 9th, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I still like the one opposite Bomba one ….. But one thing I will never order drinks there. After my beef noodle, I will walk to the back alley Lebuh Ah Quee for a fresh squeeze of double fresh orange juice.

email2me´s last blog post..Kafe Pantai Timur Cafe at Paya Terubong, Air Itam Penang

April 9th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

i have yet to try the bomba beef koay teow. have been eating the perak road version for years (same as sri weld’s) :)

lingzie´s last blog post..I’m Blogging to Win a Free Art Retreat with Rachel Greig at Scrap-n-Crop.com

April 9th, 2009 at 10:39 pm

OMG.. that 4th pic.. droooollsss

April 10th, 2009 at 2:12 am

ck yesterday guanghwa newpapar have u wor!!! whole page ah !! cool cool !!!!!

fayefly´s last blog post..Penang asam laksa

April 10th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Yalor, I read about it just now at my parents place. :)

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Cucumber & Pineapple In Sweet & Sour Sauce

April 10th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Julian Si – You had done a great review yourself…and thanks for the link too :)

email2me – Will venture into Lebuh Ah Quee soon.

lingzie – Check it out too, the soup is very flavorful.

teckiee – It looks huge…

fayefly – Thanks for informing…I saw it already :)

Little Inbox – Will be putting it in my blog too…thanks :)

April 10th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

went to the Sri Weld one before. flavourful, but i still prefer KL’s dry version of the beef noodles.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Deja Vu? (Banana Leaf Curry Rice @ NS Curry House & Ritter Sport Chocolates from Langkawi)

April 10th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I know the one iamwitch is talkin abt..anyhow me thinks the BOMBA one is good too!
ehh.. ur pics gettin better n better!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Naan at Restaurant MY, Jalan Bunus 6, Masjid India

April 11th, 2009 at 12:07 am

Wah, those photos make me hungry! There is a branch at Sungai Nibong (GPS Coordinates: N5 20.253 E100 17.889). Closer to home :-)

YuNiq´s last blog post..Day Trip to Taiping

April 11th, 2009 at 2:46 am

wow…. tried this b4… really very nice… but too bad that time i forget to bring my cam.. lol

JamieDawnRose´s last blog post..Padang Bak Kut Teh

April 11th, 2009 at 3:52 pm
melissa

CK, u should try the one @ burma road..few shops from salvation army..if not mistaken, its 2020 coffee shop…usually finish ard 12:30pm (lunch only)

April 11th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

J2Kfm – The KL’s dry version is indeed different from those in Penang…like it too.

thenomadGourmand – Thanks for your comment.

YuNiq – Have added in the GPS, will check it out…thanks!

JamieDawnRose – That might give you an excuse to visit it again…haha

melissa – I have been there a few times, I think it is actually located on Perak Road, near the salvation army.

April 12th, 2009 at 1:08 am

Hi,

I’m Inspektor Sedap and I have set up a new food blog at eatinginkl.blogspot.com.

I’ve recently posted up a 100 links post on my blog which included your esteemed food blog as well.

Here’s the url: http://eatinginkl.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post.html

I would appreciate it if we could exchange links. :) Thank you.

Cheers,
Inspektor Sedap

April 12th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Sedap – Thanks for dropping in my food blog and linking it. I will add yours too.

April 13th, 2009 at 10:01 am

Wei wei wei….correction required :P

Not just the folks in the Weld Quay area head over there for beef noodles. Folks like us who work in the Bayan Lepas MNCs travel downtown to satisfy our hankering for good beef noodles as well. Thx to JE, the drive is not more than 15 mins fm the Bayan Lepas FTZ Area :D

BOMBA beef noodles is my weekly staple. *Must* have it at least once a week. So much so that I just head straight to the table when I walk into the shop cos the towkay soh already knows what my order is. :)

Erm, as for the stall at Sri Weld, I’m sorry but I beg to differ. IMHO, it sux and doesn’t hold a candle next to the BOMBA stall at all.

At the end of the day, to each her own, eh? ;)

Eleen´s last blog post..Fluffin’ along to GP

April 13th, 2009 at 4:59 pm
CY

Do the coffee shop serve food than beef noodles? Not for me but for other companion that accompanies, so would not be left out if do not consume beef :) Have to say, salivating now though is time for bed, hehehe

April 14th, 2009 at 1:04 am

CY, sorry to say that the main dish served at the BOMBA coffee shop is the beef nooodles. 100% of the patrons are there for the beef noodles. There is a recently opened up side-stall selling Fried Oyster (must try! very crispy & fried differently from other fried oyster stalls). Sorta like an appetizer while waiting for your main dish. No other stalls there.

Definitely not the place for non-beef eaters.

Eleen´s last blog post..Fluffin’ along to GP

April 14th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Eleen – Nice of you sharing your views and comments with us. Didn’t know that you are such a lover of beef noodle…

CY – I think Eleen has already shared with us. There is only a fried oyster stall there besides the beef noodle.

April 14th, 2009 at 1:57 pm
Max Weng

Oh… beef koay tiao is oso is my favourite too… hahaha… mmmm…. I have try the man at Sri Weld but never try b4 for the lady 1!!!…

April 28th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hi All, I’m a FoodLover. There is also a great beef Koay Teow Soup in Bukit Mertajam. You can look at my blog for details :)

Esther´s last blog post..~Salmon Fever~

May 1st, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Max Weng – Do remember that the stall is closed on Sunday.

Esther – Thanks for introducing the stall.

May 4th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I see two dwarf elephants touching trunks tenderly. ,

October 23rd, 2009 at 5:05 am
Jocelyn

Hi, CK, I personally like the dry koay teow with beef soup. Additional RM1 only. Can taste the different fragrance of dry koay teow & the soup as well!! Another very important issue for me to be a fans of this beef noodle is the leng lui taokaysoh is friendly & charming!!

March 17th, 2010 at 1:23 am

1. Penang Food - Braised Beef Noodle and Hainanese Satay | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 29 2009 / 7pm:

[...] are several variations of beef noodles in Penang with the all time favorite beef ball noodles and the Hakka beef ball [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Chulia Street traffic lights opposite Bomba Business Hours: 9am – 3pm Closed On: Mondays http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/04/penang-hawker-food-beef-koay-teow/ http://www.penangtuapui.com/2008/10/penang-food-beef-koay-teow-chulia-street/ [...]

3. Fried Oyster Omelette (Oh Chien) in Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 29 2010 / 8pm:

[...] Lumpur — Penang Hokkien Restaurant – Ang Hoay Loh — CK Lam Interviewed By Kwong Wah Yit Poh — Penang Hawker Food – Beef Koay Teow — Seafood @Kuala Sepetang – Restaurant Tepi Sungai — Penang Dessert – Peanut Tong Sui — Pot [...]

4. Restaurant Kapitan @ Chulia Street, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 17 2011 / 11am:

[...] shop, it is open 24 hour and is located at 93, Chulia Street – a block away from the famed Bomba beef  koay teow stall. It has a separate dining area, with upstairs fully air-conditioned. A great place for Nasi Briyani [...]

5. Liberty sizzles with its Claypot Fish Head Curry | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Sep 16 2011 / 12pm:

[...] is housed in Lam Ah coffee shop. This place is known for its fresh nutmeg juice and beef koay teow. There is parking spaces nearby as most of the offices and banks are closed at night. Click here for [...]