Penang hawker food never ceases to amaze me, up to this very day. After trying so many types of bak moey (pork porridge), I stumbled upon this stall in Perak Lane that is managed by an old man with the help from his son.

img_9237.jpg

The old man in a singlet and a teddy bear apron

img_9349.jpg

He still uses the old fashioned way to cook for his customers. The food is cooked over a charcoal stove with a few burners. Special mini fans are attached to it to keep the fire burning strong.

img_9281.jpg

Customers waiting patiently beside the hot stove

The porridge is cooked with many different types of pork ingredients. A basic bowl has a bit of everything but you can omit whatever you like or substitute them with others. Many customers ask for ‘keh liau’ (add-on). The ingredients such as intestines, liver and minced meat were prepared and cut on the spot when needed.

Besides the usual bak moey, there are choices of fine and coarse beehoon, cintan mee, mee suah and tau chiam with a basic bowl costing RM4. My choice was the tau chiam as I was very curious, what is this noodle anyway?

img_9291.jpg

img_9288.jpg

Dry tau chiam

As the little stall was packed with customers, we waited for forty-five minutes before our food was served. I noticed that they do not add in any garlic oil to it but only sprinkled with some spring onions. The soup is very tasty indeed, with sweetness from the fresh pork ingredients.

img_9337.jpg

Beehoon

img_9342.jpg

Rice soup type of porridge

As for the tau chiam, it has a slightly starchy texture, which makes the soup ‘cloudy’ too. I enjoyed it and find it much tastier than the other two bowls.

img_9329.jpg

Tau Chiam

Check out this Map Location if you are in the Jelutong area. It is on Perak Lane and located diagonally across the peanut tong sui that I had posted up earlier. The place does not accommodate a lot of tables and is open from 6pm till late at night.

img_9231.jpg

Hope the son will keep the business going when the old man retire so that we are still able to enjoy such tasty bak moey but I doubt he would put on a singlet and a teddy bear apron like his old man.

img_9295.jpg

Perak Lane
(corner of Perak Lane and Jalan Jelutong)
11600 Penang

Closed on Sunday

Another nearby place for bak moey – Pork Porridge @Lam Kei

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 16th, 2009 at 11:29 pm and is filed under Bak Moi, Hawker, Jelutong, Penang, Porridge. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Really cute explanation, “The old man in a singlet and a teddy bear apron”
Cooking in charcoal style would surely enhance the bak moey! Definitely a must try! Love the pictures!

April 17th, 2009 at 12:28 am

hmm…… so next time I visited Perak Road, should try this stall and the peanut tong shui. ^o^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..ATAWOO Thai Restaurant @ Jalan Trengganu, Penang

April 17th, 2009 at 7:55 am

hardly visit that area… find it too crowded.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Happy Birthday

April 17th, 2009 at 9:01 am

wah … cannot imagine waitin 45 mins for a bowl of pork porridge/noodles!

though the one in Sg Dua near USM, where they cook every single bowl of noodle at any one time had us waiting for about an hour each time!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Langkawi REvisited Part 2 – The Journey to the Peak, and Wonderland!!

April 17th, 2009 at 9:02 am

Lol….. in Penang for hokkien people, when you mention BAK MOEY, means some body goal oledi ….

Tau Chiam seller is kinda rare in Penang. Not many people know how to eat it.

email2me´s last blog post..Tai Zi Heen, Prince Hotel – Dim Sum Odyssey

April 17th, 2009 at 9:25 am

when i am down-porridge is my remedy.
are those PC’s mini fans?

foodbin´s last blog post..DRAGON STAR AIRCOND SEAFOOD RESTAURANT,

April 17th, 2009 at 9:33 am

What a great finding!
I don’t really like tau chiam as it tend to absorb all the soup when it left for sometime in the soup.
The beehon soup looks great! Make me hungry now!

allie´s last blog post..Penang Seafood | Ji De Lai San Ding Seafood

April 17th, 2009 at 10:13 am

Would try the tau chiam , hardly see anyone selling tau chiam.

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Fruit Salad French Loaf

April 17th, 2009 at 10:20 am

wow must go try already

duckie´s last blog post..Haadyai Trip – Part 4

April 17th, 2009 at 10:50 am

Eh I ate tau chiam before, didn’t know that’s what it’s called. But my grandma used to cook that for me when I was sick!

iamthewitch´s last blog post..All about Bak Kut Teh

April 17th, 2009 at 10:54 am

really looks so authentic…..very precious la, thsi type of stall…with the experienced cook.

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..David’s Diner@Greentown Square

April 17th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

sakaigirl – Not many hawkers can be seen in that attire, right?

FoodParadise – Dinner with tong sui…all in one place, convenient.

New Kid On The Blog – The eating area is crowded and the lighting can be a bit dim.

J2Kfm – Patience for satisfying food is worth it but not the other way round.

email2me – This is my first encounter with tau chiam and start to like it.

foodbin – Those are PC’s mini fans.
I do agree, porridge is well known as one of the remedy food for all ages.

April 17th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

allie – I was so hungry that I finished it so fast, not seeing it absorb the soup…haha

My Taste Heaven – Do update me about it too.

duckie – Hope the waiting time is bearable for you.

iamthewitch – And this was my first bowl only.

SimpleGirl – I really admire the old uncle…still strong facing all the heat and pressure.

April 17th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

omg, this is so oldschool!

sean´s last blog post..Cafe De La Paix by blurdevil

April 17th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

hahaha… about to write abt the place too heehee.. need to get more other dishes punya photo….

you always act so fast….

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food | An authentic roti bakar experience at Toh Soon Cafe

April 17th, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Nowadays, harder and harder to find the hawker that own by the old folks and maintaining the traditional taste….

Camus Moi´s last blog post..Baked Blueberry Cheesecake

April 17th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

sean – I do agree with you, and thanks for dropping by :)

PenangTuaPui – Do post it up so that more people will know about this old uncle and his tasty porridge.

Camus Moi – It’s getting less as most youngster opt doing other jobs then taking over from their old folks.

April 17th, 2009 at 11:51 pm
Kaqi Hung

Looks like you guys who commented are not Penangite? What about the Bak Moey from Kampung Malabar, its been there for 3 genarations. By the way CK Lam, do you cook at home?Must be spending a fortune eating outside and those MSG food.

April 18th, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Kaqi Hung – I already did cover the one that you mentioned in Kampung Malabar and can be seen at the following link –

April 19th, 2009 at 1:19 am
fwukai

Yup the Kampung Malabar bak moey is very tasty, I accidentally land in the kopitiam and it’s a hit!! so damn good.

April 19th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Photo#12 down is the best….best lighting, full of story….like a moment captured in time. Shows the wonderful uncle giving all his best to his art of making bak moey

Alan´s last blog post..Stall 31′s Special Mini Rojak

April 19th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

fwukai – KM is indeed another nice place for bak moey.

Alan – Thank you for sharing your view :)

April 20th, 2009 at 12:11 am
TzeFan

Tasted this stall since 2005 and taste very good at that time but nowadays feel the taste is not so good as last time…I don’t like old man’s son because always shouts his father….

April 20th, 2009 at 1:33 pm
Kaqi Hung

Talk about shouting, further down the road on Cintra street, the lady who sells kai chok or chicken porridge, what an unfriendly face but the chicken is so tender and damn good.

April 20th, 2009 at 8:12 pm
ElaineT

Wow! is amazing nowaday still having a place that the tradition is still maintain on the way of the cooking. I like the mini fan….is a must try one fine day

May 13th, 2009 at 5:51 pm
janice jo-yin kingham

hello :D, I’m craving for it and the sight of da pictures make me hungry. do you have a map for the location?

Do look through slowly as the map location is included already. The link of the map location is indicated before the ninth photo of the post.

July 1st, 2010 at 1:25 pm
jcjc

ive been there a long ago. the old man cooked very slowly . i like pork porridge n hor fun . it was taste very good .the hawker is opposite the kopitiam on perak lane.

October 28th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Pork Porridge @ Perak Lane Address: Perak Lane (corner of Perak Lane and Jalan Jelutong) 11600 Penang Business Hours: 6pm – late night Closed On: Sundays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/04/penang-hawker-food-perak-lane-bak-moey-pork-porridge/ [...]