Just mention Goh Huat Seng Restaurant and usually one word come to mind… Steamboat! Having been around for more than 50 years, it is one of the oldest Teochew restaurants in Penang. Situated in the folds of Kimberley Street, many things have changed since the old days but one thing’s for sure… the traditional steamboat still comes lighted up with charcoal.

img_7190.jpg

Their steamboat comes with a variety of dishes, freshly cut and served. For those who may be new to this restaurant, you could choose to take the readily available packaged steamboat meals priced from RM50, RM60 or RM70. Furthermore, feel free to top up with any extra dishes of your choice. One particular favorite that I enjoy topping up time and time again is the Deep Fried Fish Belly.

img_7172.jpg

Deep fried fish belly

img_7171.jpg
Enokitake Mushroom

img_7178.jpg

White fish

img_7180.jpg

Beautiful spread of dishes, ready for the steamboat!

Plenty of other food outlets offer a great variety of soup base; however Goh Huat Seng has stuck strictly to traditions passed down through generations. Their soup base is always the clear chicken soup, boiled to a flavorful taste. The whole metal steamboat when served piping hot on the table includes some of the soup ingredients such as chicken pieces, fried fish maw and Chinese cabbage.

img_7217.jpg

Additional soup is a must, especially when more ingredients are added!

They even provide a mini fan (cute little blue fan) that run on batteries to speed up the cooking time.  With the fresh ingredients simmering in the clear soup, it ends up very sweet and delicious. It goes well with the yellow mee and everyone end up finishing up the soup too.

img_7205.jpg

Traditional metal steamboat pots waiting to be fill with soup. Only a few restaurants uses this type of pots.

img_7222.jpg

Besides the steamboat, Goh Huat Seng also serves delicious Teochew dishes. One can have a meal with dishes and their signature delicacies like the Lor Arp (braised duck), Chim Joe (crab roll), Heh Joe (prawn roll) and Oh Chien Nui (oyster omelette).

img_7186.jpg

Oh Chien Nui

Fortunately for the customers, this place is already fully air-conditioned (especially comfortable while having the steamboat).  Many locals and also visitors from abroad and outstation visit this place; and on weekends, the place is usually packed and late customers have to stand and wait in front of the shop.

img_7226.jpg

img_7234.jpg

If you like having this type of traditional steamboat meal, do give them a call to make a reservation. It is on the same row as the Kimberley Street Koay Chiap. Click here for the Map Location.

Goh Huat Seng Restaurant
59A  Kimberly Street
10100 Penang

Tel : 04 2615811

Business Hours : 5.30pm – 9.30pm

Closed : Every alternate Monday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 at 10:17 pm and is filed under George Town, Non-Halal, Penang Restaurant, Steamboat, Teochew. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I’m usually at two minds about steamboat… at one hand, all the heat and steam seems troublesome at times, on the other, what better way to spend time with good friends and family?

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..A Love Letter in Seven Days

April 1st, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I believe that’s Enokitake, not Shitake.

khensthoth´s last blog post..Brainless-ness

April 1st, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Wow, what an interesting place for steamboating! i’ll sure come here to taste the traditional way of steamboat!

April 2nd, 2009 at 12:26 am

that’s my fav steamboat when I was in Penang! Same combination, we will ordered the steamboat n fried oyster, super good!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Home-cooked food @ Earth Hour Day

April 2nd, 2009 at 9:13 am

yes…. the steamboat is very delicious. You did not take the photos of the mini fan? They modified themselves.

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Hawker Food @ Bayan Baru Market, Penang (Part 1)

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:08 am

I like their food too, though I seldom go. Have you blogged about Ang Hoey Lor? If not, perhaps can put in your list. :)

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:49 am

Every time we just dine in for their chu char only. Charcoal steamboat is my next target.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Home Made Garlic Bread With Pumpkin Soup

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:52 am

havent been to this place in a very long time. it is definitely still very popular. we’ve passed by this place a few times recently. very packed…so we decided to eat elsewhere! lol. one of these days must really go earlier liao!

lingzie´s last blog post..Satay Kajang Asli in Penang?!

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:55 am

oh i think this is the one my fren suggested for lunch the other day. but couldnt determine the location.

traditional instead, with the pots havent seen the light of day in other parts of Msia.

if i rmbr correctly in Cameron there’s one that uses the same type of pots.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Seeking Solace in Penang – Azuma Japanese Restaurant @ Queensbay Mall

April 2nd, 2009 at 12:24 pm
Yen

Yeah!!! Last time when my uncle come back from KL, my dad sure bring him there to have steamboat. So nice!!!

April 2nd, 2009 at 12:27 pm

i heard from my sis, the one in raja uda one is better than this

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Xin Quan Fang ?????????

April 2nd, 2009 at 2:13 pm

the sboat pot is history enough-what type of fish, do they use for the fried fish belly?

foodbin´s last blog post..FRESH OYSTERS

April 2nd, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Oh my!! Are those peeled fresh prawns I see?? Steamboat isn’t high on my list of great dining experiences, compounded by the fact that I have to peel the prawns after cooking them myself!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Hometowning in Penang

April 2nd, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Wow, traditional Teochew cuisine indeed, and I’m a Teochew! :) Looks like it’s time for me to visit my roots. :P Thanks for the interesting review CK.

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Canton-I in Penang

April 2nd, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Life for Beginners – Come to penang, and will bring you to try it.

khensthoth – Thanks for informing…

sakaigirl – It’s one great place for steamboat.

SimpleGirl – It sure is…eating the fried oyster while waiting for the steamboat.

Food Paradise – One of the pic only showed a part of the little blue fan.

soo sean – Have eaten at the one in Perak road but not the other one near Gama.

April 2nd, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Little Inbox – I saw your chu char review too…do try steamboat the next round.

lingzie – Try visiting on the weekdays when it’s not so pack and if going on weekends, try to go earlier.

J2Kfm – Most restaurants would be using the electronic or the gas cooker. This type of pot is indeed a rare sight.

Yen – This is one place that most Penangites would bring their visiting friends or relatives to makan.

New Kid On The Blog – Will want to try that place too.

foodbin – They uses the garouper fish.

550ml jar of faith – The prawns are all peeled ready…just dip them in the hot water and straight into the mouth…easy :)

iamthewitch – Then this Teochew lady must indeed go and try the food in Goh Huat Seng …haha

April 2nd, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I could say this is the best place for steamboat. Nothing could bet this old fashion way :)

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I love this tradisional steamboat too. CK,I love to eat..n i start my 1st food blog bcz of seen ur page. :D

traze alacarte´s last blog post..The Garden,Mid Valley,KL

April 3rd, 2009 at 2:11 am

Guess wat, CK? When I saw this post’s title, I immediately scanned thru your wonderful-as-usual pix looking for one of their signature mini fan. Have to say I was disappointed to find only one with a portion of the fan captured and it didn’t do justice to the real thing. :(

Oh well, still a great post nevertheless. *hi^5*

Eleen´s last blog post..# 1 : The Prep

April 3rd, 2009 at 9:03 am

huh? need to do reservation one ar? Walk in is not entertained?

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Instant Cook Koay Teow Teng @ Kimberley Street

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:09 am

I like this kind fo traditional steamboat pots..hehe~ like the old feeling^^

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:58 am

A good hot pot is fantastic during raining season. hehehe

email2me´s last blog post..Momiji Girls at The Garden Lifestyle Store & Cafe, 1 Utama

April 3rd, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Good, will be my next target! Had tried charcoal steamboat at Raja Uda before. Have to find somewhere nearer to home. :-)

YuNiq´s last blog post..Mee Udang Mat Nik

April 3rd, 2009 at 1:59 pm

CK, I enjoyed the traditional steamboat and their signatures dishes very much and definitely recommend my friends there! One of my favourite places to eat!

Alan´s last blog post..113

April 3rd, 2009 at 2:58 pm
Sonny

I have not had this dish for so many years now. It is only but a distant memory. Using a charcoal burner is how it should be. This could be an excuse to go to Penang on my return to KL.

April 3rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Food Promotions – I have to agree with you on this…

traze alacarte – You did a good job yourself with your blog, it’s great.

Eleen – I was also surprised to see it when I browsed through. Will try to replace it when possible.

Allie – Walk in also can but a reservation will guarantee a place…no need to wait.

shell – Yeah…very different indeed.

email2me – It sure is…a warm pot for the tummy.

Alan – Their signature dishes are still the same, just as delicious after all these years.

Sonny – No need to have an excuse when it comes to eating…just come to Penang for the variety of food :)

April 3rd, 2009 at 6:49 pm

oh wow! i like the fact that they are still using charcoal! that’s really rare these days..and that’s exciting!

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Nasi Lemak @ CT Roses

April 3rd, 2009 at 7:23 pm

YuNiq – Waiting to see your review of this place.

Nic (KHKL) – It is indeed different. At times you do see sparks pop out from the funnel.

April 3rd, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I never know how great the food is until I read this review even though it was recommended by a friend. Hehehe! Another place in my Pg food list! Luv your close-up shots!! Using micro lens now?

lk´s last blog post..Black beans soup

April 4th, 2009 at 1:05 am

lk – As for the photos, some are taken with macro lens while some are not.
You should give it a try at this place.

April 4th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I just love the traditional way of having a spread of steamboat. Just brings you to the time of wonders and the past treasures, the traditional pot!

April 5th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Seems owner understand customers needs. Keep the food traditions and move on with times esp. with amenities like air-con.

Chin´s last blog post..They are Filipino food. Where are these from?

April 6th, 2009 at 11:42 am

Big Boys Oven – It sure does…and hope they will keep it up.

Chin – That’s the way to go. They did it for the customers and they keep coming back.

April 7th, 2009 at 12:38 am

Yes, I agree with Ken too. For me, there’s no other steamboats in Penang better than here. Traditional clear chicken soup with ‘basic genuine’ steamboat ingredients. No fancy soup base or tomyam etc. No non-steamboat ingredients like those served in all you can eat steamboats. After eating won’t feel thirsty at all.

cariso´s last blog post..Sakae Teppanyaki @ Autocity

April 7th, 2009 at 9:13 am
MC

At night they are famous for the steamboat. But noon time remember to order “duck meat”….hard to describe the taste…try it..

April 8th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

cariso – For certain food, it’s best to stick to the tradition way.

MC – OK…and thanks for dropping by.

April 8th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

My grandpa like to eat at this place when we travel all the way from Sg. Petani to Penang to do medical checkup. Usually we ordered “bak kian” and “Oo Nee”… haha.

Waco´s last blog post..Maria’s Wan Tan Mee @ Golden City Restaurant

April 9th, 2009 at 5:53 am

i think the steamboat at Goh Huat Seng is pretty good. but i must say the traditional pot may seem to be a little less practical for one to get the soup out of the pot with the huge ladle that was provided.

i think i prefer the steamboat at Golden Gate, Gurney Drive. perhaps you can go give it a try.

oh, and also, for good teochew food, i find Goh Swee Kee at Sri Bahari Road better in terms of taste; although they are from the same family — sorta. =)

chiaoju´s last blog post..days = months

April 10th, 2009 at 11:02 pm
Choi

I was living at 58 Kimberley Street from 1954 to 1960, in one of the many rented rooms then. Reminds me later of the HK movie “House of 72 Tenants” circa 1974.
I still remember this restaurant and the steamboats. No air-conditioning then, only ceiling fans.

April 11th, 2009 at 5:39 am

Waco – Those two items are their best sellers too.

chiaoju – Will share to check out the two places recommended by you…thanks!

Choi – Many things did changed over the years…the restaurant is now air-conditioned. It’s great to see you sharing a bit of history with me.

April 12th, 2009 at 1:19 am
CY

The Raja Uda’s definitely taste better and more flavourful, but too far la… This is more convenient for those staying in the island, and the clear soup is refreshing with no additives flavour. The best is wait till the last batch of foods are consumed, then the soup is at its most ‘sweet’… oooh, heavenly soup :D

April 14th, 2009 at 1:06 am

CY – Sure agree with you, the last pot of soup is always the tastiest of all and that’s the best time to soak in the noodles.

April 14th, 2009 at 9:36 pm
TrinaNaRanong

Again, it is my another favorite restaurant. I am not steamboat lover but I cannot resists its Loh Ark and seaweed soup. These 2 are my life time favorite as well.

CK Lam, have you tried visiting Teik Seng Restaurant along Carnarvon Street. It is very near to Aik Hoe Dim Sum restaurant. If not, you should go and try its famous kang kong sambal, curry fish and fried roasted pork with black soy sauce. Mama mia….

April 24th, 2009 at 3:24 pm
HKO

CK, you might want to try out Hooi Kee in Taman Sri Rambai (Nam Bee Hooi) Bukit Mertajam. I went there in CNY, the food is still great. Their seafood is very fresh. Worth to check out

May 7th, 2009 at 7:57 pm
Sharon Chuah

HI.. This restaurant Goh Huat Seng is actually also famous for tis Sea Cucumber.. .. There are 2 types of cooking methods.. One is stew with the deep fried fish belly and another one is the sea cucumber is stuffed with some meat and vege… These sea cucumber are those “high class” standard sea cucumber and are tender and soft and juicy. Minmum price is about Rm50 to be shared out for a few persons depends on how much u love to eat it… :D

November 17th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

TrinaNaRanong, HKO & Sharon Chuah – I have noted down the info that all of you shared with me. Thank you.

November 17th, 2009 at 8:45 pm
Tracy

you should try their O Ni which wrap inside the puff, that’s nice! i dont think you can get from other place.

I loved those creamy yam filling :)

August 6th, 2010 at 2:04 pm
J Keats

The food here is below par, definitely, compared to several others that I have been to or even to its ownself ten years ago. Expensive and poor quality – and even quantity.

I am a steamboat lover but I prefer going to the mainland for steamboat rather than anywhere else in Penang. Come on, guys, surprise me with your recommendations about a good steamboat joint in Penang.

It would definitely be great if you could share the places for steamboat in the mainland…

November 3rd, 2011 at 11:24 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:

[...] Business Hours: 12 noon to 3pm and 6pm to 9.30pm Closed On: Alternate Mondays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/04/pot-filled-with-treasure-goh-huat-seng-restaurant/ http://thamchiak.me/penang-restaurant/goh-huat-seng-restaurant/ [...]