*** Update:  Kozue has closed

Since Kozue’s opening in Penang Gurney Plaza in December last year, business in this modern and chic restaurant has been good; and has since developed a solid group of regular customers. My family have been to Kozue’s several times and have tasted many of its innovative fusion dishes which can be seen in my previous post.

img_5075_0.jpg

This time around, we went for some other different dishes that were recommended by their Manager, Miss Ivy. The meal started with the serving of Japanese favorite drink, green tea followed by the first dish, Ebi Nama Harumaki @RM22. This Japanese style rolls were filled with prawns, white radish, carrot and lettuce. Each roll was cut into half’s and served on the plate beautifully decorated with teriyaki sauce, mayonnaise sauce, prawn roe and yellowish crumbs of tempura flakes.

img_5144.jpg

img_5074.jpg

I have tried many yam dishes but this the first time tasting Unagi Manjyu @RM28. This is a home-style dish of yam cake stuffed with eel. The fried yam cake is soft and creamy on the inside and stuffed with unagi which gives it a nice flavor; a real good combination. Strips of mushrooms, carrot and black mushroom made a perfect garnish to this dish.

img_5081.jpg

I just love the Motsunikonn @RM15 which is another home cooking style dish of braised pig stomach. The ingredient together with carrot and radish were slow cooked for almost 6 hours in an aromatic sauce made from fresh grounded sesame seed. The tender yet chewy slices of the pig stomach were just excellent to go with rice. Try this dish to taste the difference of Japanese method of braising compare to our Chinese way.

img_5123.jpg

There are numerous ways of preparing Tofu and Kozue did a great Agedashi Tofu @RM5 (4pcs). The deep fried hot tofu is served in a savory Japanese soy sauce mixture and garnished with chopped spring onions and bonito flakes. This dish also happens to be a favorite dish for my blogger friend, Sarah Lim.

img_5160.jpg

Flavorful soy sauce add an interesting taste to the dish

If you feel like having a special and yet simple dish, do try out the Ume Chazuke @RM8. The rice comes in a bowl with strips of seaweed and Japanese plum (suen mui) with a dash of wasabi. Miss Ivy personally did the pouring of the piping hot green tea to cover the rice and mixing everything together with a bit of wasabi. It is slightly sourish in taste. The simplicity of this light dish is just great and believe me, it’s good to the last grain.

img_5219.jpg

img_5225.jpg

The other rice dish is the Mentaiko Fried Rice @RM26.  This flavorful Mentaiko Fried Rice should not be missed out. The rice is fried with egg and cod roe which is very aromatic and incredibly delicious, definitely can’t get enough of it…One more please!

img_5208.jpg

Desserts are wonderful to have at the end of each meal, even in a Japanese restaurant. The desserts we had included two equally tempting Ice Cream. For green tea lovers, the Macha Ice Cream @RM6 comes with toppings of soft red beans and the Kuro Goma Ice Cream topped with some black sesame seed toppings @RM7. My favorite choice between the two was the Kuro Goma which has a nice nutty flavor.

img_5275.jpg
Kuro Goma – Sesame Ice Cream

We truly enjoyed dinning at Kozue which also offers great home-style dishes besides the Japanese favorites.

img_5059.jpg

Do check out their interesting menu and also set lunch ranging from RM15 to RM25. There is also a surprise menu consisting of 5-6 dishes (changes weekly) whereby you will find something new to eat besides those in the standard menu. You could just simply refer to Miss Ivy for more information, or any customize orders/request especially for you.

img_0313.jpg

Kozue Japanese Restaurant
170-03-59A/60
Plaza Gurney
10250 Penang

Tel    04 2269336

Business Hours : 11.30am – 10.30pm (Last order at 9.30pm)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 31st, 2009 at 9:42 pm and is filed under Gurney Drive, International, Japanese Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The Unagi Manjyu sounds like the perfect dish for me since I LOVE both yam and unagi. Especially unagi… *droools*

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Let Me Be The Cricket

May 31st, 2009 at 11:00 pm
Lysanne

nice nice…
btw..CK.. had u tried Daorae??? … korean BBQ at bayan lepas

June 1st, 2009 at 12:12 am

Love Japanese food, and love sesame ice-cream a lot. But usually sesame ice-cream are quite expensive in Japanese restaurant. Would love to visit this restaurant, but too bad it’s in Penang. :(

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..The Loaf

June 1st, 2009 at 1:52 am

I’m always to see Japanese food being reviewed here..another good one!

June 1st, 2009 at 6:42 am

haha, so coincident… i was there y/day… about to post too.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Pitt Street Koay Teow Th’ng ?????

June 1st, 2009 at 7:53 am

i love the innovation but…..got to pay a price..as food seems to be rather pricy!!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Penang Food Post 3

June 1st, 2009 at 8:11 am

the yam + unagi and braised pig stomach resemble Chinese style of cooking more than the usual Japanese fare, were they not?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Sitiawan Food For Dummies – Half A Day’s Worth of Food Hunt

June 1st, 2009 at 8:19 am

The restaurant looks so cozy… and the food so yummy!!! *drolls*

Selba´s last blog post..Bunny cupcakes by Selby

June 1st, 2009 at 9:18 am

Kuro Goma Ice Cream! I want .. I want… :D

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Opera Oriental Cuisine (Valuable Set Lunch)

June 1st, 2009 at 9:51 am

Life for Beginners – I like yam too, especially yam desserts…so creamy and smooth.

Lysanne – I just visited the place with my family a few days ago.

Sugar Bean – Prices varies in different Japanese restaurant…the sesame icecream in Kozue is usually my choice.

adel – Thanks for your regular visit to my blog.

New Kid On The Blog – Waiting to see your post …more yummy food.

SimpleGirl – The price also depends on the type of food…not all are expensive.

J2Kfm – Same ingredients but with the Japanese taste…must try out to see the difference.

Selba – One of the Japanese restaurant that I like to be in…cozy and attentive service.

allie – Both of us are crazy over icecream, reminds me of the green tea icecream that we last had…haha. Do try out this sesame version…I think you will like it too.

June 1st, 2009 at 9:55 am

I try the braised pig stomach…… and yes the ice-cream and you were right. It has very extremely strong black sesame flavours. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Invited Review – JL Steamboat Restaurant @ Nagore Road, Penang

June 1st, 2009 at 10:12 am

the dishes are more towards Japanese fusion style.

foodbin´s last blog post..DELICIOUS DINNER 17

June 1st, 2009 at 11:03 am

yay! finally you post this :) i love the rice served with hot tea. something simple and tasty!
and the mentaiko rice sounds very interesting!

lingzie´s last blog post..Wickedly Good Weekend Chee Cheong Chok @ China Street

June 1st, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Looks interesting! Will bookmark it. Hehehe!

June 1st, 2009 at 5:47 pm

look intresting…will go to try it out when going back penang…haiz…but dun no when just can go back…so busy this few month…

squall´s last blog post..????????? : ???????

June 1st, 2009 at 8:52 pm

jap food..been sometime since i had any…muz go soon..
yam n eel? i luv my yam..and i luv my unagi..but both? interesting..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Chicken Rice at Loke Yun, Ampang

June 1st, 2009 at 11:39 pm

hahahah very interesting! next time you must bring Rebecca along! ;)

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..MADAGASCAR CHOCOLATE VANILLA OLIVE CAKE | BIG BOYS OVEN SWEET DESSERT

June 2nd, 2009 at 7:25 am

yays another place to go.. i love japanese food!!!

Jane Saw´s last blog post..Happy ‘Dumpling’ Festival

June 2nd, 2009 at 10:21 am

Hi CK, Big Boys Oven say i have to report to u of my existence in penang food blogger coz you are the Big Sis in this area, he said else u’ll get angry, haha^^ Yes i agree with him, you are the forefront of Penang food blog and there are lots of things to learn from you! Qing nin duo duo zhi jiao o!

June 2nd, 2009 at 11:06 am

i like everything mentaiko. there’s a certain richness and saltiness to it that i like, especially served with pasta! :D

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Tell-A-Tale (Part 39): The Season Of Love (For Bak Zhang)

June 2nd, 2009 at 12:56 pm

FoodParadise – I just cannot get enough of their black sesame flavour ice cream.

foodbin – Yes…and done tastefully.

lingzie – Do try out the mentaiko rice…I think you would like it…very aromatic.

food-4tots – We can go together during your coming trip.

squall – That’s a good idea…a bit of hawker and also some restaurant food.

June 2nd, 2009 at 7:55 pm

thenomadGourmand – Indeed good, the yam and unagi compliment each other very well…can visit this place when time permits on your Penang trip.

Big Boys Oven – That’s a good idea…good food is meant to be shared.

Jane Saw – Another choice for you when you need to look for Japanese food in town.

sakaigirl – They like to joke about everything. There are many more famous food bloggers around in Penang. When there is a chance, I will introduce all of them to you.

Nic (KHKL) – I already fell in love with the mentaiko fried rice…will definitely try out everything mentaiko like what you did :)

June 2nd, 2009 at 7:59 pm

everything looks so appetizing!!!
will definitely go try out both the rice as mentioned by you!!

buzzingbee´s last blog post..A simple meal at e KiA

June 2nd, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Ume Chazuke looks nice and very exclusively creative. I am going to try that out

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Getting Extra Long @ Te Chang You Tiao, Air Itam

June 2nd, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Nice to see people are blogging about this place. They do serve some well executed recipes.

Be adventurous and try their ‘?’ or chef reccomendation page. It is like opening a present and being delighted with is served.

Lastly, much improved photo shots. But do play around with the white balance more. If it is not manageable, use a flash and bounce the light. It will help.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..My Beloved Husky Puppies Gone For Greed and Irresponsible Buisness Ethics

June 3rd, 2009 at 5:31 pm

buzzingbee – Both are totally good…

StevenGoh.com – I like it and hope you do too…

Jason Wong – It’s always interesting to see some new dishes prepared by them in the ‘?’ page of the menu.
Anyway, I did not get myself the external flash yet. Thanks for the photography advice.

June 4th, 2009 at 12:24 am

haha, you are very humble^^

June 4th, 2009 at 7:11 pm

wow, the Ebi Nama Harumaki is temptingggg!

June 20th, 2009 at 11:48 am

wow, the Ebi Nama Harumaki is temptingggg

ai wei´s last blog post..ShenZhen09 Day 2 Brunch: ???

June 20th, 2009 at 11:50 am

sakaigirl – Nice to see you dropping by even though you are very busy yourself. Send my regards to KK too.

ai wei – Glad you like it…best taken with the sauces, roe and flakes. Thanks for visiting my food blog.

June 21st, 2009 at 12:16 am
Sammy

Went to Kozue last month.
+s: Their Japan air flown beef (RM48) is really really good. It’s a must try item. Besides, they also serve swimming sea creatures as sashimi. I’ve had the akagai (a type of shell fish). It’s fantastic but quite pricy. RM40 for 1.

-s: Their grilled hamachi fish head is not good and it costs me a bom – RM90!

Anyway, if you are looking for something special other than the ordinary menu, Kozue will be a good place to explore.

October 2nd, 2009 at 5:01 pm