Another outlet for authentic Hokkien dishes in Penang is in an old shophouse on the ground floor of the Macallum flats. Restaurant Hock Chuan Heong is not visible from the main road but still walkable distance to the main road, whereby you will find Hock Seng Rojak, my favorite rojak stall.

Hock Chuan Heong is one of the places with good Hokkien dishes that come with reasonable prices. As expected, the place was crowded as it was lunch hour. The choices of dishes are very limited as they concentrate on their few specialties, just like what you will find in Ang Hoay Loh and Sin Lean Heang. The first dish was the aromatic and tasty Oh Chien (fried oyster omelette) with its starchy texture.

img_1009_resize.jpg

img_0983_resize.jpg

This Tau Kua Suan Na dish is fried and cooked with lots of leeks. The leeks enhances the taste of this bean curd dish which utilizes ngor heong tau kua (five spice powder) in this tau cheong (fermented brown bean) based gravy.

img_1001_resize.jpg

We had two types of noodles, the fried Tanghoon and Oh Mee (oyster mee). This clear glassy Tanghoon is fried dried with a good portion of prawns, meat and vegetable. I find this noodle tasty with good wok hei.

img_0996_resize.jpg

Everyone’s favorite Oh Mee is cooked differently from the Tanghoon. This plate of noodle again comes with plenty of ingredients, meat and oyster which give the gravy its sweetness. I find the noodle tastier if left for a while to absorb the gravy.

img_0989_resize.jpg

Looks good and tasted good too!

We had the Hei Kean (deep fried prawn fritters). It was nicely done with a crispy batter and goes well with the chili sauce. Excellent snack indeed!

img_0997_resize.jpg

img_1006_resize.jpg

Look at the freshness of the prawns…

This restaurant makes one of the best Bak Kee soup in town. The steaming bowl of dark colored soup was well done with the right thickness. The main ingredients are fried pieces of pork that was coated with tapioca flour. The fried meat is then boiled in the soup with lots of cabbage and leeks.

img_1011_resize.jpg

img_1012_resize.jpg

All this specialty  Hokkien dishes did whet up our appetite. We finished up all the dishes in no time. A very satisfying lunch for us with reasonable prices too. The restaurant remains a good place for Hokkien dishes in Penang.

img_1017_0.jpg

Parking spaces is limited

Hock Chuan Heong
(Gat Lebuh Cecil)
344-G-5 Pengkalan Weld
10300 Penang

Tel : 04 2611004 (don’t expect a reply as they discourage phone-reservations)

Business Hours : 12pm – 6.00pm

Closed on Sunday

GPS Coordinates : N05 40549   E100 33124

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 24th, 2009 at 7:20 pm and is filed under Fried Noodle, George Town, Hokkien, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Hock Chuan Heong Orr Chien can be a die for item, loves that gooey stuff and where’s the fish sauce to dip in.

jencooks´s last blog post..EATOUT IN HONG KONG – LAN FONG YUEN

May 24th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Wow …. your shots are getting better by the day eh. Good stuff, keep it up. Btw, you might wanna tinkle with the color a little. Stronger color makes your food photo stand out more …. or should I say .. “more alive” ….

Timothy Low´s last blog post..Shogun Japanese Buffet – Service Issue

May 24th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I’ve been looking for this place! I want to try the oh mee here, as people keep telling me it’s good. Is the place easy to find? =)

Bangsar-bAbE´s last blog post..Fun Kee, Sungai Besi

May 24th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Never tried this place before! Looks like same dish offerings as Ang Hoay Lor. Nice pics too!

Alan´s last blog post..Reunion

May 25th, 2009 at 12:11 am

jencooks – Not too sure about the fish sauce as this Oh Chien only comes with chili sauce.

Timothy Low – Oh I see, thank you very much for the tips. Hope to see you again.

Bangsar-bAbE – I did include a map and if you are in Penang, perhaps I could lead you there too :)

Alan – They do have the same dishes but there is a difference in their taste…do give this place a try.

May 25th, 2009 at 12:25 am

I love the foods there. My gal fall in love with the tang hoon. ^-^ I have not try the oh mee as it’s just three of us and cannot ordered too many things. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Steven’s HotSpot @ Lorong Bayan Indah 3, Bayan Lepas, Penang

May 25th, 2009 at 7:44 am
Kaqi Hung

Sorry CK, I am always the one who complains. The price is not reasonable(no itemise billing) and they put a lot of MSG, you could feel it as soon as you get out of the restaurant. Me and my family already X this place even though I patronized for almost 15 yrs. For the same amount u pay, u can have a better food at Chayu Kafei at Trang Road.

May 25th, 2009 at 8:05 am

Food Paradise – The tanghoon was good and so is the oh mee…haha

Kaqi Hung – No worries, as everyone of us have different liking. Opinions and views are welcome here to be shared with everyone. Will check out the cafe that you mentioned :)

May 25th, 2009 at 9:32 am

The menu is an exact blueprint of Ang Hoay Lor’s! I really want the bak kee soup now… so hungry!! I think my dad will like this very much… will bring him there the next time I’m back!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Cheapskates and Cheap Sake at Kin San Kichi, Desa Sri Hartamas

May 25th, 2009 at 11:00 am

Looking at the oh chien, I am hungry now……

food-4tots´s last blog post..

May 25th, 2009 at 11:59 am
octopusmum

HI CK Lam

it’s me again…the query is a bit unrelated to this post…juz wants to find out from you, do u know what are the operating hours of the famous Air Itam penang laksa? my hubby loves that. thks
regards
sp

May 25th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

all my favorite dishes.

foodbin´s last blog post..RESTORAN BALI HAI SEAFOOD MARKET.

May 25th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Emmm…….. looks yummy, surely ho ciak! Thanks for the recommendation.

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..FAMOUS FISH HEAD BEE HOON

May 25th, 2009 at 2:22 pm

550ml jar of faith – Almost identical…but there is a slight difference in the taste.

food-4tots – same with me too…the texture was good.

octopusmum – They have extended their business hour from late morning right up till 8pm at night.

foodbin – haha…who can resist the Hokkien dishes.

FoodnTravella – You are most welcome…do call me along when you visit this place :)

May 25th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I went there once and the tau keh soh was a bit bossy, she told us off if you can wait then wait, otherwise, no table. :(

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..113 ??? Lebuh Melayu Koay Teow Th’ng

May 25th, 2009 at 7:43 pm
Penang Tionghua

So you love Hokkien Hui Ann food… hahaha
Is that your first time there or have u been a customer for the past 25 years…after they moved from Cross Road (now used as the Magazine Car Park adjacent to Prangin Mall). Compared with AHL which could be your possible thumbs-up?

May 25th, 2009 at 8:50 pm
Penang Tionghua

15. New Kid – Towkay Soh was formerly a coffee shop maid at AHL Magazine Road more than 40 years ago, and the Towkay was the cook then.

So now it’s a beggar and the prince fairy tale becoming Towkay and Towkay Soh for some 30 years now after crossing the Rubicon from AHL to start on their own (with hubby) replica AHL business.

Want to know more Penang Chinese or Malaysian Chinese stories?… welcome! … hahaha

May 25th, 2009 at 8:58 pm

omg…i really long long time din’t take bak kee alr…hard to find in KL…i must go to try when go to penang…

squall´s last blog post..??????… Vanilla Brasserie

May 25th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

This place is my all time favourite. :)

cariso´s last blog post..I Mum Mum pan mee (? ? ? ? ?)

May 25th, 2009 at 11:26 pm

The tanghoon and bak kee soup look so delicious to me. Gotta try them one day. Thanks for your sharing.

May 26th, 2009 at 11:40 am
Penang Tionghua

18. Squall

In KL or rather Kajang there is one good shop selling Bak Kii Thng obliquely opposite Taman Reko, Kajang on the way to UKM Bangi.

May 26th, 2009 at 11:57 am
Penang Tionghua

9. 500ml Jar

The menu cannot be different because why should they change a success story. AHL was their master and they were their servants before paddling own canoe. In my assessment, they have beaten AHL at Jalan Gurdwara in food goodness, tasting and presentation. I have mentioned this many times on CK’s blog on Hokkien Food.

Re: My posts above at 16, 17 and 21 for more info.

May 26th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

New Kid On The Blog – Even though how busy, they shouldn’t have said it in that way…kind of rude.

Penang Tionghua – Thank you very much for sharing all the valuable info with all my readers…kamsia!

squall – Do give it a try and also try out the one in KL introduced by my fellow Penang friend, Penang Tionghua.

cariso – I already know that lor…haha

Amy – Thank you for dropping by.

May 26th, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I want my oh chien with lots of oysters!!!

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Pasta Zanmai (Revisit)

May 26th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

hahahah I was there too, awesome!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..Bake with Me | Johor Bahru, Singapore, KL & Penang

May 26th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

the dang hon looks very tasty!!!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Penang Food Post 1

May 27th, 2009 at 9:52 am

I love hei kean!!

May 27th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Oh what would I give for a good Oh Chien! Not easy to find good ones in KL. :(

Must try the next time I’m up in Penang — thanks for taking me around on a food crawl on Monday night; we must have covered more than half the island! :D

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Fried Chillies & Feisty Chicks

May 27th, 2009 at 1:21 pm

mimid3vils – Me too…especially the big size ones.

Big Boys Oven – I read about your outing … lots of food on the table too.

SimpleGirl – Full of wok hei…good.

sakaigirl – Very fresh indeed.

Life for Beginners – You are most welcome. All of us did have a great time. Will love to take you around to try out the rest of the delicious food on your next visit.

May 27th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

i think i hv to come back for this!!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Foodies day out – OuG market & Loke Yuen Chic Rice

May 27th, 2009 at 10:20 pm

went for lunch just now… like the prawn fritters and fried tang hoon… yumyum…

May 28th, 2009 at 4:05 pm

thenomadGourmand – I think you will like it.

Mabel – Wow… so fast already visited the place. I missed the fried tang hoon.

May 28th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

haha… ya right… life is short… so just enjoy all the nice food while we’re still in this beautiful world…

Mabel´s last blog post..Busy busy busy

May 28th, 2009 at 9:40 pm
GreenLane

As the photo on your other page shows, Hock Seng Rojak is not housed in Hock Chuan Heong. Hock Seng Rojak is actually in Sin Hong Leong. Also, your GPS coordinates of Hock Chuan Heong is wrong.
It should be N5.40549 E100.33124 instead.
Also, your Map Location link shows the wrong spot. Better to remove it. I drove round that area shown so many times trying to find this restaurant. Haha!!

November 28th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Green Lane – Thanks for the info. Have it changed :)

December 1st, 2009 at 8:21 am
Lyn

Been there before with my family who came back to Penang for holiday and will NEVER go there again. The lady boss are indeed very rude and the staff as well. We complain about the fish not fresh and in return the lady boss scold us back. We pay and we leave the place immediately! And yet the lady boss scold us again when we walk out from the shop and tell us to leave. Shockingly rude!!

April 29th, 2010 at 9:31 pm
Aileen Tan

Hi Ck,
I found their oyster is full with sand and not fresh. Beside, the price is also not reasonable. You can have better in AHL. And the Lady boss was soooooo rude and bossy. We heard that it is nice and first time there this afternoon. And of course ask her to recommend. You know what she reply? “Huh, you dunno what to eat here???” with high pitch….We will say X to this place forever.

September 14th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

1. Penang Lor Mee between Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling and Beach Street | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 04 2009 / 11pm:

[...] know some friends are put-off by food with thick and slimy texture such as Lor Mee and Penang popular Hokkien dish, Bak Kee but hubby and I personally do enjoyed eating all of them. He was slurping away his bowl of Lor Mee [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:
  3. Hock Seng Rojak @ Macallum Flat on Cecil Street, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 05 2010 / 9am:

[...] 25/5/09 : Other food oultet around here…Restaurant Hock Chuan Heong which serves Hokkien [...]