As usual, we were browsing and hunting through for a nice dinner, and somehow Hubby had a great idea of having some Lok Lok! Commonly on the island, we usually go to Padang Brown or the Pulau Tikus Market at night, however this time; hubby wants to try out the Lok Lok at Butterworth’s Chai Leng Park, Wai Sek Kai.

We made a trip over there and we chose New Corner Lok Lok as it is the first visible stall when you enter into this one way street. In the evening, this street is turned into a hawker food haven with stalls lining up from the beginning right till the end.

img_1070.jpg

Soon enough, we were seated and with the water boiled up nicely. My son took skewers of cuttle fish with kangkung with the vegetable neatly folded up.

img_1056.jpg

There is a wide selection of mushrooms, all of them so nicely prepared on a stick. With so many types of mushrooms to choose from, I got a few sticks of each.

img_1062.jpg

img_1061.jpg
Oyster mushrooms

img_1059.jpg

My plate filled with meatballs and greens…

img_0692.jpg
There should be something for everyone here!

****

There are six types of homemade sauces on the table, all made by the taukeh himself. It’s not easy choosing the sauce that you like as every one of them has its own flavour…e.g. the thick reddish sweet sauce is good for cuttlefish with kangkung. The chili sauce with lots of dried shrimp was very flavorful. All the sauces were just …oomph!

img_0661.jpg

Clockwise from top: Satay Sauce, Spicy Sauce, Dried Shrimp Sauce, Thai Sauce, Sweet Sauce and the Kerabu Sauce

****

There are times when the weather may get hot, and you would prefer having your Lok Lok in an air conditioned shop instead. No worries, the taukeh also owns a shop just further down the street. On our second trip there, we visited the shop, Sim Corner Lok Lok. All the food items sold in the stall can be found in the shop as well!

img_0694.jpg
Air con and more comfortable environment, all for the same price

img_0667.jpg
Wide selections available at the shop as well…

img_0670.jpg
Enoki mushroom wrapped with Chinese Cabbage

img_0688.jpg
There was plenty of other greens selection as well

img_0707.jpg
Prices charged following the color of the stick, as shown above

There are also food items for frying, for example skewers of pandan chicken pieces, pig’s ear and also yam rolls. Go ahead and make a trip to Wai Sek Kai and satisfy your cravings! Click here for the Map Location.

Sim Corner Lok Lok
55 Lebuh Kurau 5
Taman Chai Leng
13700 Perai
Penang

Business Hour : 5pm – 11pm

Tel : 016 4638698

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 at 12:21 pm and is filed under Chinese, Hawker, Penang Mainland, Steamboat. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow! that’s a lot of sauces!

that stick ok bok choy is too cute!

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Tell-A-Tale (Part 36): A Party Of Mommas’ Great Recipes

May 12th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

So many choices of skewers! Definitely more than the one in Pulau Tikus market. :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Bharat Coffee House and fresh flowers

May 12th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

not a fan of lok lok lah … as the thought of sharing saliva with strangers had me wary. :)

J2Kfm´s last blog post..OM Burger @ Ampang – Who Says Sloppy Can’t Be Tasty?

May 12th, 2009 at 3:59 pm

We just had lok lok last Friday. As we are trying to introduce some lok lok for our visitor. ^-^ This shops has many varities. Next time my gal and hubby want lok – lok I know where to suggest. ^-^ Thanks for sharing!

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Tasty P & C Restaurant – Anson Road, Penang

May 12th, 2009 at 4:18 pm

There’s a great varieties and it looks clean :)

May 12th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

must put this place on my list-clean, fresh and so much choices.

Foodbin´s last blog post..ROOM EIGHTEEN.

May 12th, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Wow…am impressed with the variety, especially the mushrooms and veggies. Never seen those stuff at Lok Lok stall in KL. I usually attack the cockles..followed by pork balls..yummzz!

May 12th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Nic (KHKL) – This is the first lok lok stall that I’ve seen with so many sauces…very tasty too.

iamthewitch – Sure has plenty of choices and also fried items as compared to the island.

J2Kfm – Sorry la, my friend…this hawker food is definitely not suitable for you.

Food Paradise – You are most welcome.

allie – Although the stall is on the roadside, it is pretty clean. For a cooler place, go to their air-con shop.

Foodbin – Another place for lok lok :)

Precious Pea – I agree with you…they do have lots of vegetables besides the meat and seafood.

May 12th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Wow! Lots of variety! Haven’t come across a shop specialized in Lok Lok. Very interesting.

YuNiq´s last blog post..Lunch at Ocean Green Seafood

May 13th, 2009 at 12:59 am

I hope so much to try lok lok but dad does not allow. He said better hav steamboat if wan to eat lok lok =.=”

Satisfyingtummy´s last blog post..Autumn Cafe @ Sungai Petani

May 13th, 2009 at 2:39 am

I miss their deep fried mantis prawn, they are not always available. I like this place because they have a lot of ingredients and sauces! Yummy! :-)

wendy´s last blog post..Rotini Con Porco Al Sugo Rosso

May 13th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Wow! So many varieties and sauces! and clean. Great place for Lok Lok. Thanks for the recommendation. Your photography is superb. Neer fail to make my mouth drool!

Alan´s last blog post..Funky Monkey@127

May 13th, 2009 at 10:47 am

even though i am not a fan of lok lok….but seeing the variety….i feel like trying….

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Hong Kong Day 1

May 13th, 2009 at 11:31 am

Every time I go for lok lok, sure I’ll mix some of the sauces to come out an superb spicy sauce. :)

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Air Asia’s Pre-booked International Meal

May 13th, 2009 at 12:12 pm

YuNiq – Do give this lok lok a try if you are around that area.

Satisfyingtummy – You get to drink the soup from the steamboat whereas in lok lok , you can’t do that.

wendy – Oh…I did not see the deep fried mantis prawn. Sure to look out for it on next visit…thanks.

Alan – Nice food is meant for sharing..

SimpleGirl – You might fall in love with it when you try it.

Little Inbox – You really know how to get the best out of the sauce. The taukeh was there to lend a helping hand in mixing some of the sauce for us.

May 13th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

wah… you’re fast la!! though i stay some where near, i’ve not try out this stall too…

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Siong Ho Fish Head Noodle & Porridge @ Weld Quay

May 13th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Used to like lok lok last time especially dipping the pork balls into spicy sauce but due to hygiene problem, I don’t eat it now~~

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Fancy Mee Corner

May 13th, 2009 at 12:48 pm
Girly

I like lok lok but due to hygiene problem, my husband don’t allow me to eat it anymore. If really want, then no choice have to go for steamboat only….

May 13th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Wow… i love the way they stick-up their mushrooms – very innovative! and what a lot of sauce choices – they all look yummy!

Pureglutton´s last blog post..The Gelateria in KK

May 13th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

tht taukeh was my neighbour many years ago.

May 13th, 2009 at 7:11 pm
reenie

do u know whether the pulau tikus lok lok is still operate or not? i been there many times, but always not selling..maybe i’m little bad luck

May 13th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Wow, this lok lok stall really serves many types of mushrooms! If I go sure I sapu all those mushrooms.:)

cariso´s last blog post..Mr. Pot Coffee & Toast

May 13th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Wow… this is so interesting…. so many kinds…. I would love to try them all :D

Selby´s last blog post..Ketupat Sayur (Rice cake and vegetable in coconut milk)

May 13th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

penang folks are so lucky! i can eat that everyday

kampungboycitygal´s last blog post..Senjyu Sushi @ Cineleisure, Mutiara Damansara

May 13th, 2009 at 10:06 pm

They got them all covered , head to toe !

backStreetGluttons´s last blog post..in the eyes and mouths of foreigners

May 14th, 2009 at 8:25 am

This lok lok stall must be having some power to own their shop just dedicated to sell lok lok. Others mostly were selling from hawker based.

email2me´s last blog post..Asian Terrace Restaurant – Thai and Vietnamese Food Under The Same Roof

May 14th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

i luv the wai sik kai there!
did u try the burger?? hehe..sorry, me very into burgers now.. haha.
as for lok lok, i luv those w variety and its really healthy tht they got loads of veg options! me wil go for the Dried Shrimp Sauce, Kerabu Sauce!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..the OM!!

May 14th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

wahh!! LOK LOK… haha… i use to eat alot every friday during pasar malam.. LOL =D hahaha… but this one looks alot nicer la.. haha

andrew´s last blog post..Authentic Thai and Vietnamese Cuisine – Asian Terrace, Solaris Mont Kiara

May 14th, 2009 at 4:15 pm

New Kid On The Blog – Will call you out for makan-makan when I go near that area again.

mimid3vils – I only patronized this particular stall as I find it quite suitable and clean for the family.

Girly – Do give it a try again when you think the time is right for you…

Pureglutton – They have good ideas in sticking up the mushroom and vegetable…not many stalls do that.

iMyFish – It’s nice to know that.

reenie – The pulau tikus lok lok stall is still around and usually crowded with customers.

cariso – They have many more items than those that I took.

May 14th, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Selby – It would be nice to see the lok lok version from your place.

kampungboycitygal – Not everyday la :)

backStreetGluttons – You are right!

email2me – Looks like they are doing quite well. Will take you to try it out the next round when you come back.

thenomadGourmand – Will sure to look out for the burger stall.

andrew – This is the first time I come across a stall that has so many varitey too.

May 14th, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Can’t wait to come to Penang and call u to makan. Nice stuffs!

May 15th, 2009 at 12:43 am

superwilson – Just let me know the dates… will take you round for makan.

May 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 am

Wai Sek Kai got a lot stall of lok lok.. i just went there few days ago… lol

JamieDawnRose´s last blog post..This is My Life

May 23rd, 2009 at 11:31 am
The Prince Of Newland

I also found out that they have a pretty branch stall in Penang at SUNGAI PINANG FOOD COURT. Think got to visit there someday.

October 18th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

JamieDawnRose – There are a few and each have their own special sauce.

The Prince Of Newland – Thanks for sharing the location.

October 19th, 2009 at 9:58 am