There are numerous Curry Mee stalls in Penang and each stall has its own kind of soup. Some have their coconut based stock reddish while some comes in a lighter pale color version, at times known as White Curry Mee. There are also different kinds of add-on such as curry chicken, fish balls and fish cakes.

These are some of the Curry Mee stalls that I used to patronized. First on the list would be the delicious bowl of Curry Mee from Tuai Pui Curry Mee at Weld Quay. Added with extra pieces of curry chicken, gizzard and chicken legs, this stall has been my favorite for some time now. I find the soup very authentic as well, as it is aromatic on its own.

Business Hour : Lunch till evening.

Update : The stall has since shifted to -
No. 23 Lebuh Kimerley
10100 Penang

Business Hour: 9am to 5.30pm
Closed on Wednesday

img_0766.jpgMint leaves adding plenty of flavor to the bowl of Curry Mee

img_0769.jpg

***

Next is the corner coffeeshop in Lorong Seratus Tahun, where one can spice up the soup with additional chili paste. It adds flavor to the soup besides making the curry look more reddish. This Curry Mee comes with many cubes of pig’s blood, cockles (sie hum), taupok, cuttlefish and prawns.

Business Hour : Breakfast till late lunch

Click here for the Map Location.

img_3368.jpg
All ingredients to top the bowl of Curry Mee

img_3388.jpg

***

Drop over to Air Itam market, beside the bridge to try the classic flavorful Curry Mee run by two sisters that sits on stools (bangku). As seating places are limited, customers will have to sit on stools in front of the stall and balance the piping hot bowl of Curry Mee with their hands! Prices vary from RM2.50 to RM3.50 depending on the size. More photos can be seen here.

Business Hour : Breakfast

Click here for the Map Location.

p1130484.jpg
Classic style Penang Curry Mee, the soup is cooked with charcoal fire

p1130488.jpg
One of the sisters from the stall serving one of the best curry mee on the island!

***

Looking for some flavorful soup without the need to add too much chili paste?  For this version, my choice would be the stall in front of Keat Seng coffeeshop in Air Itam/Reservoir Road. The thing I like from this Curry Mee stall is the long beans and the sotong curry which is rarely found in the island. Optional add on include curry chicken wing, gizzard and also variety choices of Yong Tau Foo.

Business Hour : Dinner onwards

Click here for the Map Location.

img_0920.jpg
Basic bowl of Curry Mee @RM2.50

img_0912.jpg
With add-on of chicken wing @RM3.70

img_0925.jpg

***

Stadium Currry Mee in front of Tong Hooi coffeeshop on Dato Kramat Road, served White Curry Mee and you can just add in the chili paste yourself. Prices vary from RM2.50 to RM3.00.

Business Hour : Late morning till lunch

Click here for the Map Location.

img_6510.jpg
What exactly does Stadium Curry Mee consist of anyway?

img_6530.jpg
Fresh prawns plus the usual ingredients, and most important, chili paste!

***

The final stall would be the Curry Mee nearby Traders Hotel on Magazine Road side lane. It is served with an aromatic soup. A point that you can take note is that you can opt to put in Chee Cheong Fun to replace the mee.

Business Hour : Lunch till evening

Click here for the Map Location.

curry-mee.jpg
Again, mint leaves & fresh cockles always makes me crave for Curry MEE!

These are just a few of the Curry Mee stalls and there are plenty more that I would like to try. By the way, which is your favorite Curry Mee stalls in Penang? It would be nice if you could share your experience & opinions with me… :D

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 at 11:54 pm and is filed under Air Itam, Curry Mee, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow! I just love curry noodle, I just practically grow up with them, just like brothers lol! I usually indulged the Ipoh version of curry noodle. I do say I love the Penang’s suthentic version, just pure red oil soup comes with strong taste of chilly paste top with dried tofu, shrimps, curd pig’s blood and fresh crockles, just pure magic! I do find Ipoh’s version, chicken curry noodle in Penang which I would say blended ones. Just amazing how different the taste can be from one stall to another! Just like marrying many wifes! :)

bigboysoven´s last blog post..Lovely Tiramisu & My Tiramisu Class | Big Boys Oven in Penang

May 7th, 2009 at 1:31 am

wow….. you make me craving for it by just looking at the pictures! I think I might have to gather the ingredients of curry mee and make some now! LOL!!!

wendy´s last blog post..Drunken Prawn in Bak Kut Teh (?????)

May 7th, 2009 at 5:59 am

Wow, a summary of best curry mee in Penang! You make me crave for curry mee too!

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Lé Boss Cafe & Restaurant @ Sungai Petani

May 7th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Very good summary… whoever is running out of idea where to have curry mee… this would be the post.

So, when are you coming to Raja Uda for curry mee?? :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Long Xiang (Seafood) Restaurant ????

May 7th, 2009 at 8:13 am

bigboysoven – Wow…did not know that you like curry mee so much. Maybe you can show me the good ones in KL.

wendy – Would be nice to see your version…do share it with all of us.

Little Inbox – There are a few more places…will have it out in another post.

New Kid On The Blog – Went over Raja Uda for the curry mee once but so happen it was not open. Will pay another visit…would be nice if we can go together too.

May 7th, 2009 at 9:13 am

I like to have long beans in my curry mee too. Thanks for sharing, will definitely go try it out ;)

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | “Raw” Noodle?? aka Che Mee

May 7th, 2009 at 9:37 am

Wow so many curry mee stalls! When you have the chance, do visit those in Bayan Lepas area too. My personal favourites are the stall at Dhoby Ghaut, the stall at Bayan Bay food court (next to Shell station) and one more in town Abu Siti Lane, some nyonya shop. Pretty amazing :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Boh Tea Plantation and Strawberries!

May 7th, 2009 at 9:48 am

Arks! I am coming back for Mother’s Day weekend and I now have all this to the add to my already very long list of Penang goodies to fill up on! Faint!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Deal or No Deal, Guzzle, Damansara Perdana

May 7th, 2009 at 9:59 am

my choice will be the Weld Quay curry mee.

foodbin´s last blog post..BANGKOK LANE MEE GORENG

May 7th, 2009 at 10:55 am

very useful post, for one who LURVES his curry mee! hehehe …
but more of a dry curry mee fan. any chance of finding one in Pg?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Yee Fatt Dry Curry Noodles @ Jln Kampar, Ipoh

May 7th, 2009 at 11:44 am

allie – It taste good too, the long beans is just like those found in curry vegetable.

iamthewitch – Thanks for sharing…willl eventually venture to those stalls.

550ml jar of faith – Have a nice makan- makan weekend, my friend :)

foodbin – That’s a good one too.

J2Kfm – I am trying to find that in Pg as many stalls prefer to sell the soup ones. Ipoh do hv many stalls selling the dry ones.

May 7th, 2009 at 11:55 am

The ingredient that decides which bowl of curry mee is good or bad depends very much on the chili and soup base.

email2me´s last blog post..Kedai Kopi Kong Thai Lai – Late Tan Sri Loh Boon Siew’s Favorite Coffeeshop

May 7th, 2009 at 1:18 pm
Ung

I suggest that you try Kuantan Road curry mee and Sungei Pinang (opp, Chevrolet showroom) curry mee. Business hor for both is morning to about 11am

May 7th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

haha you make me want to go eat curry mee now!!!

May 7th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

My mouth started to drool by looking at the chilli paste……..I can taste a hint of the chilli at the tip of my tongue. Amazing!

Alan´s last blog post..Ah Soon Kor’s Hokkien Mee

May 7th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Hi Ck, good coverage of curry mee. Its my all time Penang fav. glad you tried the Air Itam curry mee, i think its the best and most authentic wan. did you squat down and eat. dats what the locals do. and the stadium curry mee is the one outside my house, just opposite ah-leng! that is absolutely good too!!!!

May 7th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Wao… all the top curry mees are in one page. Wat a great post. I still prefer the old auntie curry mee at Air Itam 1 :)

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Special Penang Food, Fried Porridge @ 113 Cafe, Fettes Park

May 7th, 2009 at 11:57 pm

The one with a lot of “si hum” only $2.50 , is very very cheap !

I think with those tempting ingredient , I can’t find it in Ipoh here !

Bakeling´s last blog post..????? – The Black-naped Oriole

May 8th, 2009 at 1:35 am

May 8th, 2009 at 10:21 am

the 1st curry noodle looks more attractive to me..as i prefer red colour base curry^^

May 8th, 2009 at 10:24 am

wow! curry mee greatest hits! very nice pics too. i especially lurve the first pic. to me, penang laksa has an interestingly less lemak broth but is definitely high on taste! yummy!

May 8th, 2009 at 1:11 pm
Lyn

May try the one near Heng Ee High school or Batu Lanchang… the curry mee can add in some fish balls, prawn, pork skin, Kerang, bean sprout etc but eat seperately with the chili.. the chili is just awesome!

May 8th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

whoa i like this! round up of the best curry noodles, can do one for kl n ipoh? haha

kampungboycitygal´s last blog post..Happy Birthday KampungBoy!

May 8th, 2009 at 11:23 pm

email2me – You are right about that.

Ung – Thanks for sharing :)

duckie – No problem, as curry mee can be found easily in town.

Alan – You can really make a person feel hungry.

Zeek – I sat on the stool right in front of the lady…haha

StevenGoh.com – Good choice!

May 9th, 2009 at 1:29 am

Bakeling – Do try our pg version when you are in town.

shell – Me too, red colour base curry is more fragrant.

Nic (KHKL) – Thank you for your comment :)

Lyn – That sounds interesting…can you give me the name of the shop, would love to give it a try.

kampungboycitygal – What a good idea…thanks.

May 9th, 2009 at 1:36 am

There used to be a curry mee stall at Air Itam market junction (roadside) which starts selling only in the afternoon (about 3-4pm).
The small stall has so many customers that they have 5-6 workers to fasten the order flow!!! It’s very good.
But recently when I pass by, it’s not there anymore. No idea if they are taking a break or have moved elsewhere.

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Seoul Garden – A taste of Korean

May 9th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

so many stall…how i going to eat all when i visit penang?…all look yummy…but i don’t like curry mee with pepper mint leaf…

squall´s last blog post..??????…Yum & Tum

May 9th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

lol. i myself hadnt eaten at some of those stalls!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Burger Run at SS15

May 9th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

stadium curry mee :D

foodpromotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

May 10th, 2009 at 12:55 am

buzzingbee – Will look out for it when I am around there…thanks for sharing.

squall – It’s just added the last minute…can ask them not to include it.

thenomadGourmand – No worries…try to allocate a bit of time to visit this stalls on yr next trip.

foodpromotions – The added chili paste sure gives that extra kick.

May 10th, 2009 at 9:54 am

last wed 06/05/09, only meet you at the white curry mee stall near abu siti lane. But seem like not see you doing any photo shooting :P

thamchiak´s last blog post..si Tigun

May 10th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

thamchiak – I was there at that time but did not see you. I have visited this place before and had taken the photos.

May 10th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I am low profiles……..hahaha

thamchiak´s last blog post..Black Canyon Coffee

May 10th, 2009 at 10:55 pm

WoW…. Penang Curry Mee sure ho ciak cos’ it have lots of ingredients and also cheap!!!

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..CREATING A BLOG – STILL INCOMPLETE

May 11th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

aiks..a perfect list of curry mee..will go back and hunt for it..miss pg curry mee~~~

taufulou´s last blog post..Ladies and Gentleman….Prepare to take off!

May 12th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I like the curry mee with long beans added.

cariso´s last blog post..Mr. Pot Coffee & Toast

May 13th, 2009 at 9:43 pm

FoodnTravella – The prices can also be quite expensive if you choose a lot of add-ons.

taufulou – Hope you can find all of the stalls.

cariso – Especially with lots of si hum :)

May 15th, 2009 at 9:30 am
ah wei

Add on:

New World park curry mee (near to ex-new lane char hor fun stall)

Lebuh Cecil Market Curry mee (morning) & Lebuh Chula (night). I think these two stalls are run by same family.

May 24th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

ah wei – Thank you for sharing the curry mee places with me.

May 26th, 2009 at 2:10 pm
sherine

hey, i like d food introduce by u so much, bcz after i go 2 try it feel not so bad..n d pic shoot by u queit nice 2..hope u can introduce more delicious food 4 us..thx..

June 16th, 2009 at 9:17 pm
noyawns

I’m lau-nuah already!!! Great article and pics!

July 5th, 2009 at 8:11 pm
Teh

Kuan Ta Hall near heng ee school & opposite jetty also have nice curry mee.
Butterworth – Chain Ferry road, besides the traffic light.
besides, if free visit Kulim town, near Looking Good. There’s curry mee very nice, only available during morning.

August 24th, 2009 at 10:57 am
lulu

sungai penang food court ‘s curry mee its vry nice…:)

August 27th, 2009 at 12:13 am

sherine, noyawns, Teh & lulu – Thanks to all of you for your comments and also sharing the places of curry mee with me. I know where to visit for more of this delicious hawker food.

August 27th, 2009 at 12:26 am
Helen

Curry mee at Farlim 7D corner coffee shop! (opp tg court / new market)
The curry mee & chilli combination is excellent
$2.40 per bowl (no extra add-ons) Time : morning 7am ~ 10am daily except Wednesday

January 13th, 2010 at 10:25 am
blur_ppl

interesting blog!!!

February 3rd, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Helen – Nice of you sharing the info :)

blur_ppl – Thanks for visiting.

February 4th, 2010 at 1:06 pm
harrick

curry mee is my favourite! i will definitely try some in your list that i haven’t been. another stall that i would like to recommend to you is the stall at Sg Pinang in front of Honda showroom. Business hr is in the morning. enjoy!

Thanks Harrick!

October 7th, 2010 at 11:00 am
Crystal Tan

Penang Stadium Currry Mee is very nice ….Yummy Yummy……:)

November 5th, 2010 at 12:01 pm
alexander

Harrick: 10 years ago there was a curry mee stall infront of d sg pinang honda service center which is operated by an old man, did u know where can i find his curry mee??

November 24th, 2010 at 10:48 pm
Elaine

Hi CK,
Tuai Pui Curry Mee at Weld Quay
Wil be move to 23, Lebuh Kimberley, 10100 Penang on 18 Apr 2012.
Thanks for support ^ ^

Thanks Elaine for sharing the new address :)

April 12th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

1. Place to stay on Penang, Malaysia, Asia | Hotels Global - Info of almost all hotels worldwide    May 07 2009 / 7am:

[...] Penang Hawker Food – Penang Curry Mee | What2See : Best of Penang … [...]

2. Penang Curry Mee - Peace & Joy Coffee Shop in China Street | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 05 2009 / 9am:

[...] Mee at Peace & Joy Coffee Shop really satisfied my craving and is an excellent addition to my List of Curry Mee in Penang! Click here for the Map [...]

3. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Penang Curry Mee(Multiple Stalls) Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/05/penang-hawker-food-penang-curry-mee/ [...]