* This article was also published in the New Straits Times on 9th April 2010.

Nyonya Kuih can be found in most of the wet market around Georgetown. They come in many different texture, shapes and multi colored. They are mostly steamed with some deep fried and baked.

I got to enjoy some freshly made kuih at Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow located in Jalan Mesjid, Off Chulia Street. The owner, Mr Mook and his family has been making the Nyonya Kuihs and supplying them to kuih peddlers for many years in Penang but nowadays they just cater to the hotels and directly walk-in customers.

img_3859.jpg

This is a colorful platter of diamond shaped pieces of Nyonya Kuih and they are really very delicious.

p1150543.jpg

They were preparing several kuihs on that day and it was indeed a privilege for me to see the making process. Most of the item is steamed but this Kuih Bengka is baked. The liquid mixture is stirred continuously by an electric mixer under a fire. Once the batter is smooth and thickens, it is poured into a metal tin lined with banana leaves for baking. The finished product has a surrounding burnt crust.

img_3895.jpg

IMG_3953 IMG_4010

p1150547.jpg

Kuih Talam has two layers, green and white. The bottom green layer is made of green pea flour with fresh pandan juice. The topping is a white layer of rice flour and fresh santan (coconut milk). The combination of the sweet green layer and the white coconut layer is just perfect…sweetish and slightly salty.

img_4077.jpg

img_4100.jpg

img_4015.jpg

This post has three pages, click below to go to the next page…

Pages: 1 2 3

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, June 22nd, 2009 at 4:54 pm and is filed under Dessert, George Town, Media Preview, New Straits Times (Life & Times), Nyonya Cuisine, Nyonya Kuih, Pastry, Penang, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

i am the first to view this review! haha!
what a nice report on nyonya kuih!

June 22nd, 2009 at 5:12 pm

wow..this is interesting, CK Lam.. I have a sweet tooth and the first one attracts me.. i call it the pak chang koe over here in IPOH.. i love that.. though over here, it is either whitish or brownish… hope i can drop by this place on my next trip to penang..

claire´s last blog post..The Journey, Indonesia Finals N Ipoh Laksa (3 in 1)

June 22nd, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I like the pulut tekan for it’s firmness and the natural blue colored juice from the Butterfly Pea flower.

June 22nd, 2009 at 9:21 pm

know what?? you’re my idol! you are cool, rock…. this piece of post is full of traditional colours, beautiful and awesome.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Seventies 70′s Latin Coffea

June 22nd, 2009 at 9:41 pm

The colours are back to the right tones! Nice photos.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Invited Review-Ivy’s Kitchen a-lar-carte Dinner Menu

June 22nd, 2009 at 9:48 pm
WeyL

my mouth is watering for all these goodies! oh my! :D

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Good journalist style!

YuNiq´s last blog post..Update on Nissan Grand Livina 1.8 A/T Fuel Consumption

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:32 pm

uaik – Thank you for your consistence support :)

claire – I would like to try out those sold in Ipoh too…waiting to do it on my coming makan trip.

foodbin – It is one of my favorite kuih especially with lots of kaya.

New Kid On The Blog – Your comment is ‘sweet’…very suitable with the kuih-muih…thanks!

Jason Wong – Thanks for sharing your views with me…will keep improving :)

WeyL – You must visit this shop if you want to have those freshly made kuih.

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:50 pm

You managed to capture a piece of history in the making. Thank you for documenting this dying heritage art of kuih making.

Alan´s last blog post..Kim’s Balik Pulau Laksa

June 22nd, 2009 at 11:02 pm

A nice and detail review of the making of the nyonya kuih! Thanks for sharing! You are doing a great job :D

allie´s last blog post..Shervone Cake Tasting

June 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 pm
Yemmy

Hi CK, nice post! I love Nyonya kuih & my saliva is dripping… will drop by & get some during the weekend. Btw, you put a lot of effort & heart sharing this fantastic food blog, I really admire you. THANK YOU! Here you go, I am your fan :)

June 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 am

YuNiq – Thanks. I’m glad that you like it.

Alan – It’s my pleasure to post it up to shared with all of you.

allie – Do visit the shop to try out the fresh kuih-muih. I think you might like it.

Yemmy – You can even park your car on Chulia street and walk in if you can’t find a parking space in that lane. Watch out for the closing day…

June 23rd, 2009 at 12:31 am

which reminds me..i hv yet to post mine.. ahha. Nyonya kueh making is really a dying art..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..My Pan Heong Pig Out for RM17

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:13 am

thank u for this insightful pictures of how the kuih muihs are made…the freshly fried curry puffs look divine..could only drool at the pics now until I fly back to M’sia :)

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:55 am

aiks..!
its a cook process of how the kuih is made. Great pictures leiii~

after all, i still feel that the nyonya kuih in Pg taste much better!~

taufulou´s last blog post..The Last House on the Left

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:54 am

wow what a nice post on the kuih making process…..really colourful…but wonder they used colouring???

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Gurney Drive@ The Gardens

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:08 am

CK , good job !
This post gives us a real detail of kuih making process that we can’t easily get to see.

Bakeling´s last blog post..?????? – Passiflora Foetida Linn

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 am
Girly

This shop was indeed selling nice fresh kuih. I have been there many times to buy the kuih and poh piah but this is the first time i was able to see some of the making process from your photos. Thanks for sharing.

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:49 am

great post ck!
i wanted to approach Mook’s as well to do a review on their nyonya kuih but havent been able to find time.
i love nyonya kuih as well and hope that it will be ard for many many years to come!

lingzie´s last blog post..Maa Roy Thai Food Authentic Thai Cuisine @ Abu Siti Lane

June 23rd, 2009 at 1:37 pm
Goh

Wow~~its so wonderful and make me can’t concentrate on my work after saw these photo. CK, any idea of the business hour for this shop because I am planning to drop by during this weekend..

June 23rd, 2009 at 2:16 pm

thenomadGourmand – There are only a few in town that I know off. Do put your review up to share with us.

adel – Do drop by this place when you are back…for the delicious kuih and insight of place.

taufulou – I heard that from many people too.

June 23rd, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Good to see, good to eat too:)

mimid3vils´s last blog post..7 + 2……

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:02 pm

SimpleGirl – They used most of the natural ingredients to get the color except for those that are hard to come by nowadays.

Bakeling – This is also my first time seeing the making process too. It was hot but worth it.

Girly – Didn’t know that you have visited this place…this is my first. Have to agree with you, their kuih is very fresh.

lingzie – The owner is a very friendly person… easy to approach him.

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:16 pm

My Mom’s gonna love this!! I’m going saving this for her…hehe…thanks CK, this just so lovely! :)

Christy´s last blog post..An Old Time Dim Sum Breakfast @ Tho Yuen

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:28 pm

wow…. all the kuih are so lovely and the pic are nice. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..New World Park Food Court @ Swatow Lane, Penang

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I’m half glad I didn’t read this during teatime earlier today otherwise I’d have (unsatisfied) cravings for these delicious-looking kuih.

On the other hand, I’ve had dinner but now I’m wondering where I can get some of these for SUPPER… :P

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:13 pm

wait, is this the one I asked you about the other day? or different?
i like those fresh from the wok curry puffs!

oh pray, pray I rmbr bout this place!!!

J2kfm´s last blog post..Teluk Intan Nasi Pulut & Buntong Beef Noodles @ New Weng Fatt, Ipoh

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:18 pm

oh my oh my they look so good! i would love to go see how kuehs are made too :D

christock´s last blog post..The naked iPhone 3GS

June 24th, 2009 at 12:28 am

The pulut tekan is really making Tua Puis drooling…. Tam Jiak’s all time favorites!!!

Penang TuaPui´s last blog post..Yummy Cuisine Sungai Ara – Chu Cha

June 24th, 2009 at 8:42 am

Many authentic nyonya kuihs are “extincted” from Penang. I usually patroned the Batu Lanchang stall. Haven’t tried this stall before.

food-4tots´s last blog post..Invited Food Review at Ko-Fu-Loft (Penang) – Part I

June 24th, 2009 at 9:00 am

Goh – Be there around 1pm as some of the kuih will be ready by then.

mimid3vils – True, and its love by the young and the old.

Christy – Glad you found something that she like :)

Food Paradise – Nyonya kuihs are known to be colorful.

June 24th, 2009 at 10:05 am

Life for Beginners – Llife is not easy, even when it comes to the food topic…haha

J2kfm – If you want fresh kuih-muih directly out of the wok and steamer, then this is the place that you should visit on your next Penang trip.

christock – It is really an interesting process…good experience too.

Penang TuaPui – It is nicely done and it is also my favorite too…with lots of kaya.

food-4tots – You can try it on your next Penang trip but at the meantime, do share this place with your mother.

June 24th, 2009 at 10:10 am

This post is very colourful and informative on the nyonya kueh. I like the pictures on how its done. Great pictures. 2 thumbs up!

Sue´s last blog post..The Golden Triangle – Indochine

June 24th, 2009 at 11:45 am

All these kuih-muih accompany us for ages! Agree?

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Northbridge Chinese Restaurant ??????

June 24th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Sue – Thanks for your compliment…glad that you drop in my food blog.

Little Inbox – We did grow up eating those kuih muih and still do now. Remembered that I used to peel those kuih lapis layer by layer to make sure that there is nine…real cute memories.

June 24th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

What a colourful spread. The pics are great. Penang nyonya kuih is still the best I had ever tasted.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Chicken a la Carte……….

June 24th, 2009 at 7:26 pm

All the kuih-s tantalise my tastebud a lot! Recalling back my childhood which I used to peel the kuih lapis layer by layer. Haha… Great review of Nyonya kuih!

Ken´s last blog post..Life . . .

June 24th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Sweet Jasmine – Most of the color comes from natural leaves and flowers, like the pandan leaves that gives the color and smell.

Ken – Looks like we did the same thing…peeling and counting the layers :)

June 24th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Wow, so nice of you to have witness the making of Nyonya Kuih!! Great post!!

June 25th, 2009 at 2:03 am

wow, everything looks so colourful and delicious. it’s one major kueh factory there! good stuff!

June 25th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Nice photos~~
Very colourful @ kueh, and looks yummy

June 25th, 2009 at 1:46 pm
javachip

hi…i am a fan of nyonya kuih but havent really got to know the names until recently…i used to go to the stall and point :p correct me if i’m wrong, but i do believe that kuih bengka is yellow in colour? umm, you know, the one with the tapioca, and not this purple coloured kuih…i have yet to meet someone who can tell me the exact name of this purple kuih though it is one of my favourites…and as for the pulut tekan, the nyonyas called it pulut ta-tai..its the first time i heard people calling it pulut tekan :) the younger generation would call it kaya kuih or something to that effect..

June 25th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

OMG! the Kueh making process is so cool…
will try these kueh asap..

btw, did CK lam tried the Nyonya kueh sold in Batu Lanchang New market?

Modo Alimentare´s last blog post..HK Kim Gary Restaurant @ Penang

June 25th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

sakaigirl – Drop by if you have the time and buy some kuih and eat them watching the making process too.

Nic (KHKL) – Do try to visit this place on your Penang trip.

shell – Thanks!

javachip – Thanks for sharing the info :)

Modo Alimentare – I have tried a few of their varieties.

June 25th, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Oh my.. you made me craving for all them :’-( Feel like fainting here, gawking at all the picts!

I went there with PHT group 2 years ago. The group frequents ordered from them. There’s another Nyonya Kuih Maker (I forgotten the address but you can see eldery Indian men chartered trays of kuih in their 3 pedal wheelers, bike or balancing on their head-a dying art :-P ) at Kimberly Street, not far from the famous Fried Oyster & Lor Mee at the end of Carnavon St.

I think I have to sit at Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow’s kitchen with jugs of Teh Tarik and Coffee. You think they allowed that? :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Fresh Thai Pineapple & Cucumber Salad

June 26th, 2009 at 5:14 am

BTW… my Belgian friends said Thank you so much to you for introducing food of Penang – Old and New. They stayed in Penang for 10 years before moving back to Europe. They were happy to add extra kilos!

I forwarded your link to them as I can’t be with them to tour Penang. Thank you CK for doing such great job (and made me gawked envied with all the picts!) You should be Ambassador of Penang Food (Virtual)! If there’s such nomination, you get my vote!

pixen´s last blog post..Fresh Thai Pineapple & Cucumber Salad

June 26th, 2009 at 5:21 am

ahh i didnt know the multi layer crispy karipap was made that way, eye opening indeed. little did i know that a small piece of kuih has so much of sweat in the making.

xin´s last blog post..Kun Kee Wantan Mee @ Uptown

June 26th, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Simple and Delicious!!

June 26th, 2009 at 4:25 pm

pixen – I am sure the owner of this Nyonya Kuih shop will welcome you. Glad to know that your friends enjoyed the Penang food too.

I will check out the kuih maker that you recommended …thanks!

xin – Lots of labour involved.

Alan – That’s the word :)

June 26th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Great post to record the historical famous nyonya kuih!

cariso´s last blog post..Miraku G-Hotel Set Dinner

June 27th, 2009 at 12:26 am

Kuih lapis is my all time favourite, I always believe they need certain skills to make this.

Mindy´s last blog post..Hong Kong Dim Sum @ Uptown, Damansara Utama

June 28th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

what a great spread of traditional nyonya kuihs!! this is gonna be my aunt’s kuih hunt when she gets back from Aust.

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Invited Review @ Ko Fu Loft, Gurney Plaza (Part I)

June 29th, 2009 at 7:44 pm

cariso – Thanks!

Mindy – I loved it too…colorful and tasty.

buzzingbee – Different varieties are made on different day.

June 29th, 2009 at 9:26 pm
Manuka Honey

you should also try the nyonya kueh sold at Batu Lancang Market , Penang every afternoon after 3pm. They are just so delicious…

July 5th, 2009 at 3:01 pm
LittleNyonya

Thanks CK for introducing this! I am planning to serve nyonya kuih during my wedding reception and I would say this shop looks like serving really yummy and delicious kuihs! Will drop by next week!

September 12th, 2009 at 6:42 pm
Penang Nyonya

YES!!! I have tried the Nyonya kuih in Batu Lanchang afternoon market. Very original and generous with the ingredients.

CK, you should visit them; they are very friendly.

Check out the Chu-Chu kuih (Tapioca) and Ondeh-Ondeh (only on Saturdays).

Be prepared to queue, go there early, they sold out fast!!

September 21st, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Manuka Honey – The place is crowded on my visit and i got to try some which are pretty good.

LittleNyonya – You are most welcome.

Penang Nyonya – Have tried a few types but yet to taste your recommended ondeh-ondeh. Thanks for sharing!

September 21st, 2009 at 10:30 pm
edwin teow

Hi ! CK , thanks to your blog , we tried this nyonya kueh last sunday , my wife really love it ! we are from Ipoh , we use to travel to penang for a day trip food hunt , and with info from yr blog , it is so much easier now . Big thank you and keep us posted in future !

October 5th, 2009 at 6:18 pm
wayne

bump in this site…..really an eye opening on the photo for the tedious kuih making process…
i love to eat nyonya kuih alot and can’t really find a good one in penang so far…still miss the yummy morning nyonya stall at Jonker Street, Malacca.

Will definitely drop by and check it out.
thanks

April 15th, 2010 at 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing great information on penang :) Planning to pay a visit there soon. <3

May 6th, 2010 at 2:01 am

Oh yeah, I’ve linked up one of your pictures on penang Nyonya Kuih. :)

May 6th, 2010 at 2:04 am
Lucy

Hi CK! Thanks for sharing. Will definitely check this out when we go to Penang this Oct. New fan.

June 6th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

the kueh look like not so colourful…… but i think jelutong morning market nyonya kueh is the best!!!

September 12th, 2010 at 12:46 pm
jcjc

omg . i really like Nyonya Kuih. does every1 have Nyonya Kuih recipes?

October 28th, 2010 at 9:57 pm
Jack

It looks nice but taste ok only. Not as good as the another traditional nyonya kuih that i ate from penang which near by a shopping mall called GAMA. Even my parents and relatives suggested me to there rather than the place u mentioned. but anyway i like kuih. thx for sharing.

April 14th, 2011 at 6:33 pm
Jennifer

Dear CK,

Thank you for all your fabulous recommendations on Penang’s Best Food. I’ve tried out a number of them and am very happy to learn of their existence:-)))

Talking about Nyonya Kuehs, can you please recommend me the best Stall(s) who sell the best Nyonya Dumplings in Pg? This type of dumpling is very different from our popular Meat Dumpling (Bacang) as it contains Sweet melon strips and small bites of marinated meat a la Nyonya. Really love this type of dumpling.

Thanks again for all your interesting articles. Hope you can help me to locate this rare “Nyonya dumpling in Pg!!

JT

July 10th, 2011 at 6:23 pm
Marites Caballero

very impressive. just arrived from kl and i miss the kuih now

October 19th, 2011 at 3:52 pm
Jessica

Please beware that this shop is extremely unhygienic with dogs roaming freely in the cooking and food preparation area. I just had the kuih talam and pulut tekan and had a bad case of food poisoning. The proprietor also advised me that he no longers uses bunga telang for the blue colour, it’s all colouring now. The santan in kuih talam tasted funky and definitely the cause of my food poisoning. So proceed to this shop with caution!

May 28th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

1. Penang Food - Braised Beef Noodle and Hainanese Satay | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jul 29 2009 / 9pm:

[...] – Braised Beef Noodle & Hainanese Satay — How About A 14inch For Tea Time – Crullers/You Tiao — Malaysian Kueh – Penang Nyonya Kuih — Food Trail In Muar, Johor — Penang Food Bloggers Tasting Session At Ivy’s Kitchen — Penang [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 4pm:

[...] Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow Address: 53, Muntri Street, 10200 Pulau Pinang Tel Number: 012 415 2677 04 2615832 Business Hours: 10am-3pm Closed On: Mondays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/06/malaysian-kueh-penang-nyonya-kuih/ [...]

3. Malaysia Food Exploration: The Quest for Kuih « Beyond Sustenance    Jun 07 2011 / 11pm:

[...] without a car some of the more distant food courts were tricky to reach. I found an article about Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow and we visited twice. The first time we were too early, the second time too late (assuming they [...]