Jun

Penang Food – Klang Bak Kut Teh

Posted by: CK Lam   in Bah Kut Teh, George Town, Hawker, Penang

Looking back at the post, it seems like it has been a while since I blogged about Bak Kut Teh in Penang. I was recommended to try out a Bak Kut Teh stall in the folds of Jalan Terengganu recently. It was indeed a different style from the Penang local version. It is the Klang Bak Kut Teh!

img_2630.jpg

We made our way there in the evening for dinner. It is just a small place, occupying the front of a house, with a few tables on the side walk as well. The menu is displayed hanging opposite the stall.

As with many other places, the food can be served on individual bowl as well as in claypot. We find that this stall sells slightly thicker type of soup and has less hints of herbs which is not too overpowering. In this claypot, we chose to have many different cuts of meat – fatty, lean, spare ribs, black mushroom and pig stomach. All the ingredients were cooked till tender.

img_2657.jpg

Many types of meat & spare parts came piping hot in a claypot

Besides the claypot, we also ordered some accompanying side dishes as well. Hubby personally chose some  beancurd (taufu), while son opted for some pig intestines and some fried Fu Chuk (bean curd sheet).

img_2139.jpg

Beancurd with five spice powder, very delicious indeed

img_2140.jpg

Pig intestines was very well stewed

img_2137.jpg

Bean curd sheet is quite standard in most Bak Kut Teh stall

This Bak Kut Teh comes with choices of yam rice and plain rice.  The yam rice was quite ordinary in taste although there were generous pieces of yam. The commonly found blanched vegetable with oyster sauce was another add-on for us.

img_2144.jpg

Yam rice was tasty with those chopped garlic & red chili slices coupled with black sauce

img_2122.jpg

The lettuce came with generous serving of flossed meat

One of the specialties of this Klang Bak Kut Teh is the succulent stewed Pig Trotter in dark soy sauce. The owner recommended us this signature dish, and it did not disappoint us. The meat was very tender as it is stewed for hours. The sauce that he uses as a base to stew the trotter was very flavorful, concentrated and a bit sticky. Very good to go with white rice, making this dish a delight to the taste buds!

img_2636.jpg

Equally balanced with fats and lean meat as well, a must-try over here!

Last but not least, was the appetizing side dish concocted by the taukeh. It turned out to be an excellent order as it was very appetizing! The taufu is deep fried until crispy, then mixed with strips of carrot, deep fried beehoon, ikan bilis and onion, and subsequently tossed with their specialty sauce.

img_2664.jpg

Very appetizing dish with sweet and sour taste

img_2679.jpg

This is how the taufu look like before it was deep fried!

For something different, do try out this Klang Bak Kut Teh which is brought over to Penang. This eatery is run by Cheah and his family.  Click here for the Map Location.

Klang Bak Kut Teh
52 Jalan Trengganu
10460 Pulau Pinang

Tel : 016 4547706

Business Hour : 6.30pm – 11.30pm

GPS Coordinates : N05 2431.1   E 100 1833.2

Closed on Thursday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 11th, 2009 at 12:46 am and is filed under Bah Kut Teh, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Oh, that’s really a good post ! How long I haven’t been trying bak kut teh ?

Drooling right now !

Bakeling´s last blog post..??????- Vegetable is Good For You

June 11th, 2009 at 1:33 am

the pig trotter is tempting. it would be taste good if it’s a dark vinegar trotter. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Food Loft / Ko-Fu-Loft ???

June 11th, 2009 at 8:44 am

frankly, i prefer the klang’s version more…really…but never know Penang also have Klang BKT …..nice nice…..

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Papa John’s & Krispy Kreme

June 11th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Bak kut teh is one of my “must eat” list when I visit Msia :)

Selba´s last blog post..Tukang Keripik (Chips man)

June 11th, 2009 at 9:19 am

is it as nice as the one in Klang? wah.. must go try d as I prefer KL version of bah kut teh more ;)

allie´s last blog post..DAORAE Korean BBQ Restaurant (Part II) | Penang Restaurant

June 11th, 2009 at 9:22 am

Bakeling – Could BKT be your dinner for tonight? :)

New Kid On The Blog – This pork trotter in soy sauce is very flavorful…do try it. If you have tasted a good tu kar chor, please share it with me too.

SimpleGirl – I think there might be others that I have not come across.

Selba – There are many versions that you can try out as each place has their own flavor & ingredients. Now they even come out with the dry version too.

allie – Can’t really tell as I have not tasted the Klang BKT in KL.

June 11th, 2009 at 9:52 am

hmm…. should pay a visit there. Hope that it is as good as the Klang bak kut teh. As once you tested the Klang bak kut teh you will fall in love. ^-^ So in your next trip to KL, do try. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Yee Hong Food Court @ Sungai Nibong, Penang

June 11th, 2009 at 9:57 am

Wow….. Klang BKT now in Penang. Adding lots of pig stomach in BKT is a must.

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..MOF JAPANESE SWEETS & COFFEE

June 11th, 2009 at 10:09 am

With the additional pig trotter and deep fried tofu as appetizer, this is considered as a fulfilling meal. :)

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Roasted Duck @ Restaurant Cho Jiang ????

June 11th, 2009 at 10:36 am

awesomne! awesome! my summary, different state’s BKT is rather differ as it contains it’s own style and taste, it can be vary. for example Johor’s KBT is awesome but very different from the klang version! :) Wish you are here with us now! :)

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..CANELE PATISSERIE CHOCOLATERIE – SINGAPORE BEST DESSERTS

June 11th, 2009 at 10:49 am

Hehe…it caught my attention that there is Klang BKT in Penang. How the world has evolved..haha, Klang BKT in Penang and people go to Penang Cafe in KL…LOL!

Christy´s last blog post..Triple Exotic Asian flavors @ Golden Triangle

June 11th, 2009 at 10:56 am

i prefer the clear stock BKT-the braised trotter and intestines is sure tempting!

foodbin´s last blog post..RESTORAN NASI AYAM KAM KEE.

June 11th, 2009 at 10:58 am

Food Paradise – OK…will find some time to try out those sold in KL.

FoodnTravella – Pig stomach is good if its tender…I like it too.

Little Inbox – It was a very filling meal…a bit of everything.

Big Boys Oven – Would sure like to try out the Johor BKT too. Hope to join you guys in your next trip down south.

Christy – This will benefit the customers.

foodbin – Can always try out the Klang version for a change.

June 11th, 2009 at 12:25 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

Very tempting must go try …

Must have the dark yam rice with bak kut teh…

June 11th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Wow! Klang Bak Kut Teh in Penang… must give it a try and see does it tastes the same like here in Klang…

Alice´s last blog post..Turmeric Fragrant Butter Rice

June 11th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

the deep fried taufu looks special leh. Btw, how much is the damage for this bak kut teh set dinner?

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..The Oriental Experience @ Ko Fu Loft, Gurney Plaza

June 11th, 2009 at 9:27 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

Steven when u wanna go call me lah kekekeke…

June 11th, 2009 at 10:13 pm
hko

Thanks for the tip, will try it out soon. yummy.. oops i am dead hungry T_T

June 12th, 2009 at 12:30 am

Oh yam rice…yum…now very very hungry…will go with parents one day…

Jian´s last blog post..Balik Kampung Part 2 – Red Dragon Fruit Farm

June 12th, 2009 at 3:58 am

eh eh, didnt know pg got Klang bak kut teh, the spare parts and Pig Trotter looks good eh. Maybe when go back will give it a try~

taufulou´s last blog post..Ramlee Burger @ Jln Maharajarela, KL

June 12th, 2009 at 8:59 am

hI ck,
wa…drooling and salivating at those stewed trotters and intestines and those fried taukeh…mmmm a tease to my tummy…I AM HUNGRY LO :p

Elin´s last blog post..Potato Tortilla

June 12th, 2009 at 10:25 am

Kelvyn (Hot Wok) – Try it with both yam & white rice…the sticky gravy of the pork knuckle should goes well with the white rice too.

Alice – Do share your views with me.

StevenGoh.com – Not very damaging la….fifty is enough. Want to belanja all of us right? :)

hko – Most welcome.

Jian – Remember it is closed on Thursday.

taufulou – Can mark it down together with the rest of the makan places.

Elin – Do order the taufu…interesting texture.

June 12th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Hmnn delicious! Now we do not need to travel to Klang for their famous bak kut teh. Thius looks good too. Dear ck, you can make the spongy texture of the taufu at home by putting the normal medium soft tauhu you bought from wet market in the freezer for a few days. Cook it with yr favorite vege or braise it with tau yu bak after squeezing out the ice.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Sweet Start To A New Chapter…

June 12th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I just passed by this stall 2 days ago and thought I should give it a try one day. And the next day you post about it. :)
Gonna try and see if it’s really like Klang BKT!!

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Invited Review @ Hot Wok (Part II)

June 12th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

looks really tempting to me!
by the way, have you tried the bak kut teh behind sunshine square? i heard many people talking about that stall for years already, but never tried them out.

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Canton-i ????? at Queensbay Mall

June 12th, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Sweet Jasmine – Do try out this BKT, Jasmine.
It’s so kind of you to share the idea on making the taufu with me…definitely will benefit all my readers too. Thanks!

buzzingbee – Do tell me the difference after you have tasted it as I have not try those sold in Klang.

My Taste Heaven – I have not eaten the BKT from that stall…will look out for it.

June 13th, 2009 at 10:27 am
Lysanne

CK, theres another type of BKT.. in Jawi. Dunno, you’d tried it.. it’s called Dried BKT. Serves in the usual Claypot, kinda look like braised meat in dark sause ~ “Tau ewe Bak”.

June 20th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Lysanne – Thanks for recommending the dried BKT. I have tasted it in Rou Gu Cha. Sure would be nice to try out the one in Jawi too.

June 20th, 2009 at 11:53 pm
htfoo

i tried this last night, but it is not what i expected. Probably, i may give 3/10..My opinion is, the one next to padang & sunshine BakKutTeh is much much more better.. as they have lots of ‘dong gui’ smell.. :) By the way, the RouGuChaKing is really tasty for their dried BKT.. — cheers

June 28th, 2009 at 9:26 pm
htfoo

oh.. one more thing here, when i asked for extra soup..arrggg, the aunty gave me a spoonful of soup only. For me, they very kiamsiap lah :-( ..others stall are willingly to give more.

June 28th, 2009 at 9:28 pm
Elaine

I’m born at klang, jz move to pg a few year, i very miss my hometown bkt. Tks ! CK recommend klang bkt 2 me , coz i’m looking klang style bkt in pg. This evening i having diner with my family at d “KLANG BAK KUT TEH” stall. after taste it i can get back my hometown bkt feeling. is good .And also really d fried “taufu” in very special, i ask d boss why d fried “taufu” after fried is crispy ?? He said tis is homemade style that only in pg. he also said his bkt is concentrate in meat not in soup so that d soup can’t get “dong gui” smell.i will come again this stall and will recommend to my friend .

July 1st, 2009 at 4:02 am
May

in my opinion, the BEST BKT is still at Good Master in Sri Rambai, Bukit Mertajam. The soup …. YUMMY !!! Dun be fool as there is another one exactly opposite this shop having the same name which is Good Master (penang). So, go to the one without the ‘Penang’ name.

August 6th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

htfoo & Elaine – Nice to see both of you sharing your opinion and views and great to see Elaine explaining the type of BKT with us.

May – Will mark down this BKT in Sri Rambai…thanks for the info.

August 6th, 2009 at 2:59 pm
Hallie

The Authentic KLang BKT in Penang is located at Butterworth. Just behind Megamall Prai. It’s opened by a friend of Ah Tau whom is an old friend of my dad :) Do go try! IT is the best with the authentic smell & all since the brothers come all the way from klang just to open this stall :)

November 3rd, 2009 at 5:38 am
Jamesllen

I am definitely going there when I am in Penang!!!

Jamesllen Reply:

Thank You, CK Lam! I find your blog very useful! My partner and I will be in Penang soon from 25th Jan – 14th Feb… His first time in Penang! I will use your blog as my food guide while we are in Penang. Have to eat all those delicious food before I(we) go back to Canada!!! CK Lam, you are AWESOME!!! :)

January 22nd, 2012 at 6:43 am

what about the price? =D

March 11th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:

[...] Gurney, 10250 Georgetown Tel Number: 016 4547706 Business Hours: N/A Closed On: N/A Related Links: http://reginatravel-foodparadise.blogspot.com/2009/03/song-river-bah-kut-teh-gurney-drive.html [...]