***The restaurant has since closed down.

Many of you would definitely be familiar with Hot Wok! The name is associated with the abundant of Nyonya food coupled with beautiful decorations and authentic Peranakan ambiance.

Customers who have frequented the restaurant in Penang knows that Hot Wok Nyonya & Local Cuisine has established itself as the premier restaurant in serving authentic Peranakan or commonly known as Nyonya food from its earlier years in Gurney Plaza and later shifted to Tanjung Tokong. Now they still continue serving their customers in a double storey pre-war house along Jalan Burma, near to the many food eateries of Nagore Road and New World Park.

img_3621-2_0.jpg

Welcome to a gastronomic food journey at Hot Wok

What’s more, dining here gives everyone the opportunity to savor varieties of Nyonya food besides some of the local hawker favorites. Being established for so long, they have been masters of the trade and never fail to cook up some of the delicious Nyonya food on the island! There were a few groups of customers on that night, which is a sign that their customers keep coming back for quality Nyonya food.

img_3585.jpg

Menu neatly tucked away in this creative abacus rack

The Penang Food Bloggers recently received an invitation to have a taste of Nyonya food from the owner, Mr Kelvyn Yeoh. All of us got seated in this table in the second dining hall surrounded by beautiful antiques, collectibles, art and craft. The wall was decorated with many mirrors and artifacts. We got out our cameras in no time and started snapping away at the beautiful surrounding!

img_3596.jpg

Aerial view of our dining table with the beautiful flooring

img_3592.jpg

Part of the dining hall with the staircase leading to the upper floor

The meal started with assorted deep fried rolls. The first was the Loh Bak. This Nyonya delicacy of meat rolls done with minced pork and other ingredients is rolled up in bean curd sheet and deep fried. The hot juicy rolls were served with chili sauce. Everyone of us was complementing on this flavorsome rolls, a definite must try for first time patrons!

img_3626.jpg

Loh Bak – simple yet delicious

The second dish for our taste buds was the Choon Piah. It is actually spring rolls with a savory shredded turnip filling. It is deep fried with a crispy exterior and best eaten with the Lea & Perrins dipping sauce. Both the Loh Bak & Choon Piah really had our appetites going.

dpp_0004.jpg

Choon Piah

Hot Wok also serves some hawker favorites, like the Hokkien Mee and Steam Or Kuih (yam cake). The ingredients for the Hokkien Mee is the prawns, hardboiled egg, kangkung and the Siew Yoke (roast pork). Spiciness of the soup depends on the amount of chili paste added. The soup is savory and sweet with prawn flavor. The Hokkien Mee stall can be seen displayed right beside the entrance of the restaurant.

img_3642.jpg

Hokkien Mee

Another local delicacy which we were offered was the yam cake, better known as Or Kueh to the locals! Garnished with plenty of sliced chili, shallots and spring onions coupled with their blend of sweet & chili sauce, their yam cake holds a softer texture as compared to other places.

dpp_0005.jpg

Steam Or Kuih – yam cake

The delicious Curry Kapitan that comes with big chunky pieces of chicken is a perfect dish for many as it is not too spicy. This dry curry is cooked with a paste with ingredients of lemongrass, chilies, garlic, onions, lengkuas (galangal) and buah keras (candlenut) which made this dish very flavorful especially with the kaffir lime leaves. Excellent complement with white rice!

dpp_0006.jpg

Curry Kapitan

The dish of Tau Eu Bak (pork stewed in soy sauce) comes in various versions in different restaurants. In Hot Wok the braised pork was simply marvelous, moist meat done with the right amount of spices. This dish comes with unique hard boiled eggs with its outer layer of egg white slightly harder. Both were just simply delicious when eaten with some sambal belacan.

dpp_00015.jpg

img_3666.jpg

Hard boiled eggs served together with the braised meat

From the flavorful Tau Eu Bak, the next dish was a huge bowl of Kiam Chai Ark (duck soup boiled with salted vegetables, tomatoes and sour plum). The soup was full of flavor, really very appetizing indeed. Some of us even requested for a second helping.

img_3632-1.jpg

Harm Choy Arp Tong

Next up was the Assam Prawns, which was cooked in the appetizing tamarind and dark soy sauce. The fried prawns were all covered with the caramelize sourish sweet tamarind sauce. It was a joy indulging on the prawn flesh, and equally good sucking on the shell as well!

dpp_00014.jpg

Assam Prawn

The Curry Tumis Stingray Fish was served in a claypot which keeps the dish warm. This curry has a refreshing tangy flavor gravy and I took a few spoonfuls of the curry myself. It is a dish that most Hot Wok customers would order to go with their meal.

img_3667.jpg

Vegetable dishes are a must when going together with all those meats, and what else should be better than this plate of Jiu Hoo Char, which is a Nyonya style fried mixed vegetable. The bangkuang (yam bean) is fried together with strips of dried jiu hoo (octopus), carrot and mushroom. Hot Wok version of this sweet and savory dish is a bit dry, which makes it easier for wrapping with the accompanied lettuce. The wrap taste good with a bit of sambal belacan….give it a try!

dpp_00010.jpg

Jiu Hoo Char – Nyonya style fried mixed vegetable

The Pork Cincalok is an excellent dish that perks up the appetite. However, in my personal opinion I found this dish to be a bit salty for my liking.

img_3671.jpg

Pork Cincalok – sour and slightly spicy

The dining hall on the ground floor can accommodate up to fifty customers with another seventy sitting comfortably upstairs. This master piece divider separate the first dining hall from the second.

img_3588.jpg

dpp_0003.jpg

Section of the third dining hall with marble top coffee tables & kopitiam chairs

The Nyonya cuisine was rounded up with the serving of many different types of Nyonya desserts. Most of them tasted alright while some was a bit too sweet. You can always request to reduce the sweetness if you don’t have a sweet tooth. The combination of the ingredients were good except for the Mango Cendol. I personally feel that the taste of the mango and the sweet sugar syrup of the cendol do create an uncertain mixture of taste.

Here are some of the desserts that we had…
Sago Honeydew, Sago Nangka & Sago Gula Melaka
Cendol & Mango Cendol
Ice Kacang

dpp_00016.jpg

Cendol – chilled green pea jelly with kidney beans, gula melaka & coconut milk

DPP_0009 DPP_00013

DPP_00012 DPP_0007

I would like to express my thanks to Hot Wok proprietor, Mr Kelvyn Yeoh for extending this invitation to all the food bloggers. There are two dining area, one with the Kopitiam setting and another fully air-conditioned. The restaurant is located diagonally opposite the BMW car showroom. Parking is very convenient as it is just beside the Giant Supermarket in Penang Plaza which has ample parking spaces. Click here for the Map Location.

Hot Wok Nyonya & Local Cuisine
124-E & F Burma Road
10050 Penang

Tel : 04 2273368

Business Hour : 11.00am – 3.00pm & 6.00pm – 11.00pm

Website : http://www.hotwok.com.my

Closed on Tuesdays

GPS Coordinates : N05 2516.0   E100 1930.0

UPDATED ON 6/7/2009 :

A SPECIAL PROMO FOR WWW.WHAT2SEEONLINE.COM READERS

Currently customers get to enjoy 10% off the food menu price at this Penang outlet by presenting the voucher. For Hot Wok Restaurant, this voucher is valid till end of December 2009 and for a bill of RM50 and above. This voucher is not applicable for promotional items.

hot-wok-penang.jpg

Click on the above coupon & print it out

Visit the Kota Damansara outlet post to print out their discount vouchers.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, June 8th, 2009 at 7:45 pm and is filed under Events, George Town, Invited Review, Nyonya Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Peranakan Cuisine, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow…. nice review…… and so fast. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Curry Mee and Koay Teow Thn’g @ Jalan Samak, Penang

June 8th, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Hi CK,

Wow all my favourite dishes in one post. I will definitely look out for this restaurant..authentic nyonya dishes. Thanks for sharing :)

Elin´s last blog post..Homecooked Clay Pot Crab Rice

June 8th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I like the soup, I have 2 bowls of it that night :p
CK, Thanks again for the invitation!

allie´s last blog post..DAORAE Korean BBQ Restaurant (Part II) | Penang Restaurant

June 8th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

So awesome, you are transfering me to the time of the Babas and Nyonyas. Just fantastic! Hot Work such detailing food and deco! A palace to be!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..Jimmy & Sherene Wedding Cupcakes | Golden Phoenix, Equatorial Hotel Kuala Lumpur

June 8th, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I love all nonya food and every dish presented at Hot Wok brings out the best of nonya and Penang dishes. Love ju her char. The tau eu bak sauce is very gao with flavours.

jencooks´s last blog post..Barcook Bakery

June 8th, 2009 at 11:41 pm
Penang Tionghua

Yes, genuine nyonya dishes. Try out their fried fish with black sauce… cooked in heaven available on earth…!

June 8th, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Food Paradise – It was an enjoyable food review.

Elin – Glad you like this post.

allie – I am very happy seeing you there.

Big Boys Oven – This looks like a suitable place for all of us to makan during your Penang trip.

jencooks – The Tau Eu Bak definitely taste good…a suitable dish for the young and old.

Penang Tionghua – I musy really try out the fried fish…sounds so heavenly :)

June 9th, 2009 at 12:51 am

nice..all tht Nyonya food. Maybe i’ll go try their KL branch. Maybe. ;)
or better stil, come back Pg!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Brekkie with Pea…and 13 others!

June 9th, 2009 at 6:19 am

long time didnt go there already…every thing looks nice…i would like to try the yam cake…am a big fan of yam cake haha..

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Papa John’s & Krispy Kreme

June 9th, 2009 at 8:28 am

thenomadGourmand – You could try out both …get to see the difference in their presentation too.

SimpleGirl – Do try it out. Their yam cake is of the softer texture. There are many more dishes in the menu.

June 9th, 2009 at 9:47 am

I am drooling looking at all the authentic nyonya cuisine…….They are my favourite! ;)

food-4tots´s last blog post..Japanese eggplants with sweet and sour sauce

June 9th, 2009 at 10:38 am

I tried this restaurant with my family before…
Their Hokkien Mee is slightly different than the usual one as they put ?? …
we love the braised meat served with the Hard boiled eggs too… =)

Modo Alimentare´s last blog post..Soya bean @ Penang

June 9th, 2009 at 10:45 am

Nicely done! I remember that Hokkien Mee with much fondness. But the prawns are much smaller in your pics than I remember??

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Reminiscing Hu? at Du Viet, Damansara Uptown

June 9th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

the restaurant looks so homely-is that ornate mirror for sale?
very authentic looking duck soup!

foodbin´s last blog post..ZONG MENG RESTAURANT-2

June 9th, 2009 at 2:26 pm
Alex

Nothing Special and expensive. Is just the normal meal that we usually pray to our ancestor.

June 9th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

food-4tots – In that case, we should change our coming dinner venue to this place lor.

Modo Alimentare – I find the Tau Eu Bak very tasty too.

550ml jar of faith – I see…the soup is still very flavorful.

foodbin – I am not sure but will find out from the owner.

Alex – Not everybody agree with what you said…looks like this type of food is just not your cup of tea.

June 9th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

the food looks so yummy! too bad i didnt get to read this post in time for my penang trip last weekend. sigh. major on failure for not finding the great food in penang.

xin´s last blog post..Bali Hai Seafood Market @ Gurvey Drive Penang

June 9th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Is it the sister restaurant of The Wok at Kota Damansara, PJ? The cincalok pork u had is different from what I had , urs look better though~~

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Esquire Kitchen of Taipei

June 9th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

this is the one that I missed out??? sigh… wrong timing!

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Food Loft / Ko-Fu-Loft ???

June 9th, 2009 at 5:05 pm
Penang Tionghua

15. Alex
16. CK Lam

You mentioned, “Nothing Special”.

However, the ‘something special’ lies in the highly trained cooks for the delicious ‘home-cooked dishes’, elegant food presentation, ambience, home dishes without the frills of home-cooking, etc.

You are invited to read my articles at:

The outlet in the abovementioned article is also ‘nothing special’, but among the ‘something special’ lies in the ability for the customers to earn another source of income via the membership programmes.

Yesterday, the 4th Penang outlet opens at Sunshine Taman Lip Sin.

I shall invite you and CK Lam as my guests when the next outlet opens at Gurney Hotel Mall (location of the former Momo Pub) in a month or so, if both of you don’t mind.

Just leave your contacts with CK Lam, if she does not mind.

June 9th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

One bowl of soup definitely not enough for me! I shall visit again to have the whole bowl all by myself! :)

cariso´s last blog post..Sok Tei Thng (???) @ Teik Seng (????)

June 9th, 2009 at 6:15 pm

xin – Do bookmark this place so that you can savor their delicious Nyonya food on your next Penang trip. You can also try out their outlet in PJ too.

mimid3vils – Yes, both the restaurants are related. Each son take care of each restaurant. I have yet to try out the food in their PJ outlet.

New Kid On The Blog – There will always be another time.

Penang Tionghua – Thank you for the insight!

cariso – Sounds like a good idea. The soup has the right balance of taste…sweetness from the duck and just sourish enough of the kiam chye.

June 9th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Lovely pics of wonderful food in a classy ambiance. Btw, thanks for clarifying for me what “Penang” Hokkien Mee is (different from KL versions) during my previous trip to Penang. :)

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Heavensent

June 9th, 2009 at 7:07 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

I would like to thank our Penang food bloggers that attended to my invitation.

CK Lam – Very nice pictures …. Thanks again

June 9th, 2009 at 8:30 pm
Kaqi Hung

Choon Piah-nyonya dish? I taught its Han Nam dish. Loh Bak using minced meat? Should use “kap Sim”, just go to market and ask the pork butcher which part of meat to use for Loh Bak.

June 9th, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Life for Beginners – I am glad you finished up that bowl of Hokkien Mee that night.

Kelvyn (Hot Wok) – I would also like to say thank you very much for hosting all the Penang food bloggers on that night.

Kaqi Hung – As stated in their name card – Hot Wok Nyonya & Local Cuisine, it’s already stated that they also serve local cuisine in their menu. Choon Piah and Hokkien Mee are just a few of them besides the Nyonya dishes.

June 9th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Delicious nyonya food! This review reminds me of my first visit to Hot Wok in Gurney Plaza many years ago when I first came to Penang which has become my second home now.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Sweet Start To A New Chapter…

June 9th, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Mom cooks all the dishes except pork cincaluk. I never know my family consume so many Nyonya dishes. LOL

Little Inbox´s last blog post..8 Course Meal @ Restaurant Sea Palace

June 10th, 2009 at 8:15 am

Sweet Jasmine – Nice to see you around again…really missed your absence.
This should be a nice time to pay a revisit to Hot Wok with your family for a meal.

Little Inbox – Your mom is a good cook, able to dish out so many types of Nyonya dishes. Not many have that skill.

June 10th, 2009 at 9:43 am

WOW!! Another invited review eh?:)
I was here on my own too, but the thing is, i forgot my camera and that’s why I couldn’t blog…
I love the interior deco of this place!! :)

Christy´s last blog post..Ko-Fu Loft: THE FOOD

June 10th, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hmmm…. those are my favourite food.

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..MOF JAPANESE SWEETS & COFFEE

June 10th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Christy – The deco is indeed beautiful, not many Nyonya food restaurants have this type of deco.

FoodnTravella – Can always try out the food with you in this restaurant. When are you coming up here?

June 10th, 2009 at 2:02 pm
Henry

Hi CK,

Maybe u can try out this place opposite PISA, Penang :-

Henry´s last blog post..Bukit Genting Hill (Part 1 of 3)

June 10th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I just pay a visit to Melvyn Yeoh and Robert last night at their Kota Damansara branch. Had Hokkien Char, Loh Bak, Otak2, Char Hor Fun and Hokkien Prawn Mee.

Quality still top notch! Even on my 3rd visit. If lucky enough, they cook something special on Sunday which off the menu.

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Super Kitchen Chili Pan Mee Now Available at Chow Yang SS2

June 10th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

It was a lovely gathering. Thanks for extending invite.
Next round I go, I’ll get a bowl of hokkien mee and kiam chye ark all for myself :P

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Invited Review @ Hot Wok (Part I)

June 10th, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Good write up! Hot Wok used to serve buffet at Gurney Plaza. Wondering if they still do…

YuNiq´s last blog post..Fixed Image Border and Captions in Blue Shadow Theme

June 11th, 2009 at 12:25 am
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

For buffet we stop ever since we moved out of Gurney Plaza.

Due to the space of our current restaurant would best suit to cater of 50-80pax for buffet.

June 11th, 2009 at 1:54 pm

wah….hungry d leh….you guys get to enjoy good food under air con while I am baked under the sun XD

Jian´s last blog post..Balik Kampung Part 2 – Red Dragon Fruit Farm

June 12th, 2009 at 3:52 am
Dallon

CK Lam- really good recommendation.

The tau yew bak very soft and tasty. Lorbak will give 5/5. I went there yesterday no kiam chye ark but opted for the too tor soup very peppery smell suited me but not my kids.

Btw very pro pics taken from all ur posts

June 12th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Henry – Thanks for dropping in my food blog.

email2me – Lucky for you…I have to wait for some time before I can travel down to KL to taste the food cooked by Mervyn at The Wok Cafe.

buzzingbee – Same over here :)

YuNiq – Thanks for your comment. I see that uou have the answer from the boss himself already…

Kelvyn (Hot Wok) – It’s nice to see the info provided by you.Thanks for sharing it with my readers.

Jian – There will be another round, no worries…

Dallon – Thanks for your compliment. I will go and try the too tor soup that you had. I love peppery soup and best if the too tor is tender.

June 12th, 2009 at 3:57 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

-Dallon, thanks for the compliment. Today afternoon juz only cook Kiam Chai Ark Soup. Maybe next time n lovely baby u got there.

Thanks

June 12th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Goshh…all this Nyonya food going around here making me homesick and tummy growling! yikes!!! There’s no Nyonya restaurants in mainland Europe when I’m lazy to find the ingredients :-(

Kelvyn (Hot Wok)… coming to Europe to open another branch or not :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Fresh Thai Pineapple & Cucumber Salad

June 26th, 2009 at 5:33 am

Looks yummy…hehehe…my grandmother cook those food for us at home all the time too…i just had jiu hoo char the other day and assam prawn. Seems like home cooked food for Penangites huh???

Ping Ping´s last blog post..I thought it was war

June 26th, 2009 at 5:12 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

Pixen- Europe??? Jeezzzzz its quite far..

Maybe the next ten year when i migrate… kekeke.

No time to think yet business was bz these few days.

June 27th, 2009 at 8:28 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

Our pride of Penang.

Gourmet Secret Agent TVB Hugo Leung & Ella Kung

June 29th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

had fun at the wok with u ck! :) *hugs* Will blog about it soon too.
i’ve also been to hot wok in penang… mom loves it there. haha

Jess´s last blog post..? U think yours is big enough?

July 7th, 2009 at 1:16 pm
Kelvyn ( Hot Wok)

So Jess thanks for the support…

Take care

July 7th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I tried Hot Wok when they were in Tanjung Tokong and the food was not good at all. My favourite Nyonya restaurant is on Nagore, Dragon Phoenix near to Kam Steamboat which I have been eating for over 20 years since it started on Bishop Street! The taste is very authentic especially their Perut Ikan!

July 23rd, 2009 at 11:28 am
Peter

CH get ur info right . There is no Dragon Phoenix in Nagore Road is Dragon King changed to Nyonya Baba telling people u’ve been eating there for 20 years hahaha.

Dun jugde people’s restaurant no good ok it just doesn’t suits u, Its a competative market out there people r just trying to survive.

July 26th, 2009 at 7:42 pm
Sammy

I only like the Hot Wok when they first established at the shop house next to Island Plaza. After that they moved to Gurney Plaza, Pantai Molek (opp. Caltax Station) and to the current venue at Burma Rd (beside Penang Plaza). The standard of the food has dropped tremendously!!!

October 2nd, 2009 at 5:30 pm
Tan

I was recommended by my friend to these few restaurants Perut Rumah, Nonya Breeze, Mama’s & Hot Wok for nonya food.

Eventually we opted to go to Perut Rumah & Hot Wok due to the atmosphere. Both of these restaurant has the ambiance,decor & both restaurant food tasted very good & authentic. We went to Nonya Breeze at first but we didn’t like what we saw, the restaurant decor as like those Hong Kong Wan Tan Mee Shop and then Mama’s its like a Phuket restaurant, my frens told me we should go to other nonya restaurant, so i hope these nonya restaurants could give them a sense of culture n ambiance to their food they are serving.

Its like you need to have the enviroment n the mood. N we luv this blog very much. We went to plenty of food stalls in Penang that we didn’t know it exsists.

December 1st, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Tan – Thank you for dropping in my blog and I am glad to hear that you and your friends had a good makan time in Penang.

December 1st, 2009 at 2:57 pm
PP

Went this afternoon for lunch. Very good food. The assam prawn, Curry Tumis Fish and Hokkien mee were really good. Interesting we did not see Siu yok in our Hokkien mee, may be they had it especially for CK : )

The siu yok is available for every customers…just let them know that you want to have it with your hokkien mee.

May 21st, 2010 at 11:23 pm
Melanie

hi!! My German fiance and I are coming to Penang for a short holidays. What are the prices like in eating at this authentic nonya restaurant?? He never try this cuisine before and I am trying to introduce him to this unique cuisine. For two people to dine–are there any nonya buffets in this restaurant so we can try everything at a reasonable buffet price??

July 21st, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Prices varies from the vegetable dishes to the fish dishes…anyway do feel free to give them a call at 04 2273368.
There are many buffets around town but not one with the nyonya theme.

July 23rd, 2010 at 9:37 am
Steven Lee

hello kelvyn,

long time no see and no cerita from you ever since u rsuh to go over to Australia.

September 27th, 2011 at 7:35 am
Steven Lee

If u frogot me then just remember the best Tau Sar pneah from burma road…hahhahhaha

September 27th, 2011 at 7:36 am
Kelvyn

Hey Steven Lee, good day mate. I am all good in Oz and I am now the head chef of a top hat malaysian restaurant in Perth. We are going for the gold plate award as we branded gold plate finalist of 2011 and hope we could nail it in 2012. Btw miss my hokkien mee?? Cheers mate

April 4th, 2012 at 1:38 am
klangboy

kindly b informed that they have ceased operation at jalan burma

May 26th, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Lee

Hi !! Is the cafe still open?

September 11th, 2012 at 11:45 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:

[...] to 3.00pm – Dinner: 6.00pm to 11.00pm Penang Hawker Delights – 11.00am to 1.00am Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/06/peranakan-nyonya-dinner-hot-wok-penang/ http://yummy-station.com/2009/06/15/hot-wok-nyonya-local-cuisine-penang-jalan-burma/ [...]