I remember visiting Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant and Bar for the first time when it opens its door last year in Tanjung Bungah. Recently my family was invited to savor selections of Bulgarian cuisines in their recently revamped menu. The restaurant now has an additional dining floor space and  is complete with wooden furniture, stone walls and great mural.

img_2921.jpg

img_0702_resize.jpg

The owner Silviya Georgieva arranged the menu for us that evening, ranging from appetizers, main courses to desserts. There were three types homemade soup, all of them served hot and comes with ‘Vintage’ garlic bread of cheese and mayo topping.

I had the Creamy Mushroom Soup that has lots of wild mushrooms cooked with black truffle while hubby indulged in the Bulgarian Borsh Soup, which is a delicious pickle vegetable soup. My dear son opted for the creamy and delicious Chicken Soup.

img_2811-edited.jpg

(From bottom) Chicken, Borsch & Mushroom soup, each @ RM10

Vintage Bulgaria has an array of appetizers. Prior to the main course, we sampled three different types, each one very unique from one another. These appetizers that we had for the night were served in smaller portions, allowing us to sample different appetizers. Under normal circumstances, the appetizer would be larger in serving.

The Shopska Salad @ RM12 is the most popular Bulgarian salad. It consists of cuts of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers. This colorful salad is topped with grated feta cheese and dressing.

b.jpg

Shopska Salad @ RM12

The Orley Wraps @ RM20 is the traditional Bulgarian dish. This savory appetizer has small blocks of cheese wrapped around with strip of bacon. The skewer of bacon wrapped cheese stick is grilled and served laid on a bed of cabbage.

a.jpg

Orley Wraps @ RM20

The Sherperd’s Salad @ RM12 is a mixed salad of fresh vegetables, ham, mushrooms, olives and garnished with boiled egg, cheese and traditional dressing.

c.jpg

Sherperd’s Salad @ RM12

*** ***

img_2783-edited.jpg

This food tasting size palate consist a bit of the above three appetizers

*** ***

The appetizers got our appetites up and stomachs growling, and in due time, the main course was served! It kicked off with this Grilled Cod Fish Fillet. This fresh cod tasted lovely with creamy mushroom sauce accompanied with fresh vegetables and potato.

img_2842-edited.jpg

Grilled Cod Fish Fillet @ RM34

Karnatche Sausage is a homemade traditional Bulgarian sausage with ground meat patty. The long roll of sausage is grilled to perfection and served with fresh salad and slices of cucumber and tomatoes.

img_2839-edited.jpg

Simply delicious Karnatche Sausage @ RM30

img_2852-edited.jpg

This plate of Beef Stroganov is a dish of sauteed strips of Australian tenderloin steak cooked with mushroom, wine, cream and plenty of herbs. It’s ideal to share out this dish as the gravy is very creamy. My son enjoyed it very much, especially when eaten with the butter rice.

img_2854_0.jpg

Beef Stroganov @ RM38

Finally, last but not least, the most beautiful dish of the night arrived… Pork Knuckle! Over at Vintage Bulgaria, the Pork Djolan (also known as Pork Knuckle) was one of my favorite. The pork knuckle was well marinated and juicy and meat simple melt in the mouth. It comes along with a big serving side dish of mashed potatoes and salad. However, do take note that this traditional pork knuckle is only available every Tuesday and Friday night.

img_2834-edited.jpg

Pork knuckle well done and juicy

img_2831.jpg

Complimenting dish of mashed potatoes and salad

img_2862.jpg

Knuckle with plenty of meat, ideal dish for 2!

In the end of the meal, we had some delicious sweet treats of Chocolate Soup, Sweet Pumpkin and Chocolate Creme Burlee. The cold chocolate soup is the perfect dessert after the meal as it really soothes the tongue. I would personally recommend this dish as the cold chocolate drink was just a joy to have, and the vanilla ice cream just added the extra UMPH!

img_2897.jpg

Chocolate Soup @ RM12 was deliciously smooth

This Sweet Pumpkin dessert is very rare in most restaurants. This soft and smooth dessert with cubes of strong orange color pumpkin was served chilled. I thoroughly enjoyed this dessert.

img_2906.jpg

Sweet Pumpkin

Finally, Hubby indulged himself with a smooth Chocolate Creme Burlee, which came complete with a crispy hardened thin layer of sugar topping. It was done just right, and the sweetness was very well accompanied with fresh fruits.

IMG_2901aaa IMG_2910aaa

Chocolate Creme Burlee

Thank you to Silviya Georgieva for accommodating my family for dinner that night. It’s great to know that her parents came all the way from Bulgaria to help out in the kitchen and upkeep its cuisine quality! Click here for the Map Location to visit this restaurant for some simple delicious and authentic Bulgarian food! They also have a menu just for the young children and a set lunch menu. In the afternoon, they serve coffee and tea with light snacks.

img_2920.jpg

IMG_2918 IMG_2931

Upstairs dining hall

IMG_2823 IMG_2826

Downstairs dining hall

Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant & Bar
1E Jalan Sungai Kelian
11200 Tanjong Bungah
Penang

Tel : 04 8981890

Business Hour : 12 pm to 12 midnight (last order at 10pm)

GPS Coordinates : N05 2753.9   E100 1732.8

img_2764-edited_0.jpg

Restaurant business hours stated in the signboard right on its doorstep

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, June 12th, 2009 at 7:23 pm and is filed under Bulgarian Cuisine, International, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Tanjung Bungah. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Wah all the meals were so hearty and feels like fine dining. Will pay them a visit in the future. Too many foods already while I am back in Penang.

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Super Kitchen Chili Pan Mee Now Available at Chow Yang SS2

June 12th, 2009 at 9:25 pm

i was just talking about this restaurant at my neighbour’s house 5 minutes ago! according to her, their food is really good. maybe i shall pay them a visit soon!

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Canton-i ????? at Queensbay Mall

June 12th, 2009 at 9:34 pm
Kelvyn (Hot Wok)

Been there luv their food n the next door Ingolf also good. International flavours in Tanjung Bungah area rite now. Japanese, Korean, Italian, Indian n etc-

June 12th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Chocolate soup and chocolate creme brulee. OMG… I want those… I luv creme brulee and i am crazy for chocolate! Combination of both, just heaven! :D
Must go must go.. cannot tahan d!

allie´s last blog post..Ko Fu Loft Restaurant @ Gurney Plaza | Penang Restaurant

June 12th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Lots of meat dishes but the dessert has a class of its own. Nice knuckle and I love brulee too. Lucky you to be invited for such a good spread of Bulgarian dishes.

June 12th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

email2me – Would be glad to take you to try out the Bulgarian cuisine on your next trip.

My Taste Heaven – Your friend is right, the food is indeed tasty… do try it. I like the pork knuckle :)

Kelvyn (Hot Wok) – Nice to know you like the food too. The whole area there has many expatriates hence you see a lot of international food too.

allie – Must leave some space for the chocolate soup…highly recommended.

jencooks – It was a dinner with so many delicious food and yummy desserts. I really appreciate the extended invite by the owner…she always give the best services and quality of food to her customers.

June 12th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

oh..they have improved since the last time? cos i heard so many bad reviews of it over the past few mths…seems tt they started great but then spiralled downhill.
well..yr review may spur me to give them a 2nd chance ;)

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Under which tree???

June 13th, 2009 at 12:20 am

Wow, the pork knuckle looks good, must be very delicious…

Mindy´s last blog post..I love Coconut Jelly

June 13th, 2009 at 2:24 am

thenomadGourmand – A lot of things have changed since the opening…the services of the staff and the taste of the food has improved much. It’s worth visiting this restaurant again.

Mindy – The knuckle is perfect…tender and very tasty.

June 13th, 2009 at 10:16 am

was the pork knuckle braised or deep fried?

foodbin´s last blog post..RESTORAN MAKANAN LAUT (HAWA DINGIN) SUN SWEE KIONG.-TANJUNG TUALANG.

June 13th, 2009 at 10:38 am

wah….finally got second pork knuckle choice…heee.

i like the drawing on the wall. looks superb vintage! What bout put them into the incoming blogger gathering’s list?

gill gill´s last blog post..Invited Review-Ko Fu Loft, Dim Sum in Gurney Plaza

June 13th, 2009 at 11:06 am

I am looking forward for the Pork Knuckles. Their neighbor is a bit stuck-up, thus no business will be accorded to them.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Invited Review-Ko Fu Loft, Dim Sum in Gurney Plaza

June 13th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

This time your pics of the food and ambience looks so pleasing to the eyes. Will definitely visit one of these days for my favorite pork knuckles.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Want Some Loh Mai Kai…?

June 13th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

The last time I had it the food was very salty. Hopefully now not?

cariso´s last blog post..Segafredo New Menu – Oops!

June 13th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

my eyes immediately zeroed in on the chocolate soup!!! definitely my kind of dessert! lol

i’ve tried the pork knuckle sometime back with the bf. can you imagine i alone whallop the whole thing? hahaha! so wai sek!

lingzie´s last blog post..d’italiane kitchen @ Jaya 33, Petaling Jaya

June 13th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

foodbin – The pork knuckle is roasted.

gill gill – Great place too…you can always forward the idea to the organizers.

Jason Wong – It is very tasty by itself…no need to even add in the sauce.

Sweet Jasmine – It is only available every Tuesday and Friday night. Do call them for a reservation.

cariso – The food were not salty and much have since improved. Do try it.

lingzie – Oh…I won’t be surprise cos the knuckle is super tasty. You must try the chocolate soup, chilled cold and smooth.

June 13th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Wau Wau Wau! so delicious, and your photos look attractive too..

MnYfoodtalk´s last blog post..Ramen (????) | ??? ??? (??????????) | Japan

June 13th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Oh gosh, my eyes are on the Chocolate Soup!!!! :P

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Food Loft / Ko-Fu-Loft ???

June 13th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Pork Knuckle looks really tempting.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Oriental Fried Udon

June 13th, 2009 at 10:14 pm

MnYfoodtalk – Thanks for your compliment. Do try out the food should you be back in town.

New Kid On The Blog – Can’t take your eyes off the chocolate soup ya….me too! It is very delicious. Hope they will always maintain it in the menu.

Little Inbox – Worth trying out the knuckle…portion is enough for sharing.

June 13th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Wow! The pork knuckle looks very inviting! It’s my hubby’s favourite. I like the sweet pumpkin. Interesting!

June 14th, 2009 at 8:33 am

glad you seems to enjoy your visit there. i went there twice and it’s certainly not very pleasant. I doubt I’ll be returning though.. :)

The chocolate soup looks different from the one I had in edinburgh but looks very tempting.hahah

June 14th, 2009 at 11:13 am

It looks like a great place to dine for. Not just the food but also the ambiance of the restaurant :)

June 14th, 2009 at 11:22 am

i cannot help myself but wanna try the Sweet Pumpkin dessert immediately…
it looks so tempting/…

June 14th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

food-4tots – The sweet pumpkin has a very pleasant flavor.

Eve – The chocolate soup is really a delicious smooth dessert…you should give it a try.

Selby – Indeed it is…much improvement have been done.

Modo Alimentare – A very tasty dessert served chilled.

June 14th, 2009 at 8:16 pm

choc soup….something i’ve tried b4…i am sure choc lover will love it. btw, pork knuckle looks yummy….

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..The Gems of Kampar

June 15th, 2009 at 8:55 am

After reading this posts, make me want to go and try the foods leh…. Pork knuckle, soups and desserts…. wow…^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Pin Seong Seafood @ Sungai Dua, Penang

June 15th, 2009 at 10:39 am

Ooh, this is the Bulgarian restaurant you pointed out to me when we went on our island-wide food crawl last month, no? :)

I’m surprised to see they serve green veges amongst all that M.E.A.T.! :D

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..London

June 15th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

SimpleGirl – Totally agree with you, the chocolate soup was just great. The knuckle looks yummy and taste yummy too :)

Food Paradise – Do check out the availability of the knuckle before you go.

Life for Beginners – You do remember well. This is the restaurant that you saw on that night. It’s nearby the stall that we bought our burgers from.

June 15th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

aiks, feel that i m really outdate now..didint know pg got such a nice dining restaurant.

but surely will go hunt for the desert.

taufulou´s last blog post..Day 3 Amazing Macauzz

June 18th, 2009 at 1:48 pm
Ching Ee

I think I will try this place out. Seeing how the photography is done… I suggest the restaurant pay you for the job well done on the food photography… ;)

June 20th, 2009 at 11:12 am

This will be my last time visiting this place for various reasons:
1. They only provide 1 small slice of a complimentary birthday cake for my mom and the rest of us around the table had to look at my mom, as we’re without any other kind of cheaper desserts/mousse, like how other restaurants are offering.

2. RM5 for 1 jug of plain water! This is totally unacceptable! Other places are offering their plain water for FOC!

3. Moody/unfriendly face on the owner’s face.

AT Lim´s last blog post..How can you benefit from RED DOT’s MASTERPIECES?

July 6th, 2009 at 1:39 am
sharon

i totally agree tat the english lady face looks so UNFRIENDLY..

July 21st, 2009 at 12:22 am
Franc

Wow! It’s tempting~~
May i know the price for the pork knuckle?

July 22nd, 2009 at 10:29 am
Joanne

i went there with my hubby last 2 weeks, the pork knuckle is really nice and big portion. The price is cheap with this portion.
Nice place to go, will visit again.

July 25th, 2009 at 12:40 pm
Zurene

Dear Ck,

As I have talk to you the other day,no.1 for me is service.I agree with AT Lim and Sharon when they say the owner is unfriendly.I believe if you are the owner of your restaurant,you gotta give a good image ..first of all be friendly to your customers..make them feel welcome…why face so black for what?Unless she start smiling I’ll visit again.

regards,
Zurene

July 30th, 2009 at 1:12 pm
JX

tried it previously… boss quite a tall guy. Food is delicious! yummy!!!

August 24th, 2009 at 4:22 pm
Kenneth Loh

Dear Ck,

Last Thursday was my second visit here and must say that the dining experience was much different from a year ago. Good things first the meat dishes were just as yummy. Especially the appetiser with the pork ham and cheese on a scewer. Unfortunately, no complimentary sky juice for diners. Just so happen that I was feeling under the weather and requested for warm water. So had to take hot tea with medicine. They now have Set Dinners which are reasonably priced circa RM30. The real suprise is that they have “Char Koey Teow” for RM22 in their menu. Err, I wonder what’s the story there? Was there at about 8pm and only 2pax at 2 tables were occupied. I just wished they were not too stingy on the sky juice since we ordered 3 drinks in total for 2 pax and our total bill came to about RM130.

May 29th, 2010 at 4:47 pm
lim

the food is nice….just the place is small & narrow

December 27th, 2010 at 5:38 pm
vincent

any wine to introduce here?

February 22nd, 2012 at 5:05 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1.   Divine Bulgarian Food in Penang @ Vintage Bulgaria, Tanjung Bungah — Steven Goh’s Penang Food, Budget Travel and Unique Lifestyle    Jul 07 2009 / 2pm:

[...] CK Lam [...]