Updated on November 2010 : All the hawker stalls have stopped operation.

During my last makan outing at 127 Food Court on Burma Road I was recommended to try out their chu char stall, Anson Park Seafood. It has been around for a few years but it was only recently that we went to try out the food. Most of the table was having their signature dish of Curry Fish Head and the Nam Yue Bak and I was enticed by the looks of.

This Curry Fish Head is the milk-based curry rather than the usual santan (coconut milk). The curry is not really spicy yet very flavorful with lots of lady fingers, tomatoes, onions and mint leaves, served hot in a claypot. The taste of the curry is more towards Indian Curry with the usage of curry leaves.

img_7491_resize.jpg

Highly recommended – Curry Fish Head with your choice of fish

The deep fried Nam Yue Bak was infused with the distinctive flavor of the fermented bean curd..very tasty. It is delightful to see the meat served with an appetizing kerabu.

img_4861.jpg

We also try out the seafood Otak-Otak which I found it to be very unique as it is a twist to the ordinary Otak-Otak wrapping in a banana leaf; indeed a perfect compliment to bowls and bowls of white rice.

img_4869.jpg

The pieces of spare ribs are stewed till tender with brown beans and potatoes…a hearty and wholesome dish just on its own. It’s good biting the meat and sucking the bones clean as well.

img_4790.jpg

Of course, with all those meaty and seafood, we make sure there are also some green vegetables. The three vegetable dishes were stirred fried Sambal Kankung, Bean Sprout and Nai Bak.

img_4805.jpg

Fried Sambal Kangkung

img_4852.jpg

Sitr-fried Bean Sprout (taugeh) with salted fish

img_7483_resize.jpg

Nai Bak stir fried with garlic

The serving is quite large. My family has visited this chu char stall several times since then and each time was just as satisfying. Besides this stall, do check out Funky Monkey that serves modern European cuisines in this food court as well. Click here for the Map Location.

Anson Park Seafood
127 Food Court
10050 Burma Road
Penang

Business Hours : 5pm till late in the night

GPS Coordinates : N05 2528.5   E100 1912.4

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 16th, 2009 at 12:41 pm and is filed under Chinese, Chu Char, George Town, Penang, Restaurant, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I would love to try the curry fish head :)

Selba´s last blog post..Cheese Cake with RUF Käsekuchen Hilfe

July 16th, 2009 at 4:12 pm

the nam yu bak with kerabu attracted me….something like the salted meat i’ve tried.

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Vishal Food & Catering@Jln Scott, KL

July 16th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

seafood Otak-Otak looks delicious to me….

i shudnt visit your blog at 5pm one… very hungry and need to wait until dinner time,,,,

July 16th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Selba – My first choice too…

SimpleGirl – quite similar but this one has more of the fermented bean curd flavor.

Penangtuapui – Haha… you will eat more when you are hungry. Do try this place, you might like it.

July 16th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

yummm i lurrrveee curry fishhead! lets go for the fishead meehoon in damansara kim next time!! ^_^

xin´s last blog post..DIY: Fried spaghetti with chicken

July 16th, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Fried sambal kangkung, my favourite!

allie´s last blog post..Light Snacks for Afternoon Tea | Penang Hawker Food

July 16th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

xin – That sounds good…would like to try out their curry fish head too. Thanks for inviting.

allie – I too like this dish but not many stalls can do it perfect…some too watery.

July 16th, 2009 at 11:30 pm

hahahah CK, Xin was refering to the fish meehoon, not curry head fish at damasara kim, the one we ate recently! lol!

wah that taugeh with salted fish looks awesomely and shocking attractive, looks so fresh and crunchy!

wah! the seafood Otak-Otak is so full of prawns, I amd drooling now, looks like a place to be! a must eat place! :)

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..I Got Featured On The Weekly Chinese Free Newspaper ‘Red Tomato’!

July 17th, 2009 at 1:04 am

a lot of food leh….

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Kozue Japanese Restaurant

July 17th, 2009 at 10:16 am

I heard lots about this place but have not try it yet. After your review, I guess I know what to order. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Sarkies Corner @ E & O Hotel, Penang

July 17th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

lovely appetizing fish curry-would be better if they have added some Chinese cabbage or brinjal.

July 18th, 2009 at 9:48 am

the fried kangkung looks nice ler…

Modo Alimentare´s last blog post..Sushi King @ Queensbay, Penang

July 18th, 2009 at 9:54 am

Big Boys Oven – Oh…I see, that fish beehoon is good. Will sure to visit that uncle taukeh again.

New Kid On The Blog – I went there several times already…

Food Paradise – Hope the taste is up to your liking.

foodbin – Brinjal sounds like a good add-on, just like the curry mee in Petaling Street.

Modo Alimentare – A good compliment to the dishes.

July 18th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

the nam yue bak looks like char siew but deep fried!! must be good :)

July 20th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I like the nam yue bak ??? the most! look like so tasty!

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm
Sammy

Went to try out the food after reading your review. Their curry fish head is really good and i would say it’s one of the best in town.

Was there many times but never have the luck to try their stewed spare ribs with potato. This dish is not available every night.

October 2nd, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Tried this place some time back. The food is alright but my friends and I found each dish to have very distinct and strong flavors. Ie: very sour, very salty, very sweet.

BTW, Funky Monkey is no longer there. The western food stall has been taken over by someone else. Do you have any idea what happened to Funky Monkey?~

I have no idea where they have shifted to.

July 16th, 2010 at 1:24 am

1. Holiday Adventures » Blog Archive » iL Posto – The Best Gnocchi You’ll Ever Have    Jul 18 2009 / 12pm:

[...] Penang Chu Char at Anson Park Seafood | What2See : Best of Penang … [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 09 2010 / 11am:

[...] 017-873 5525/016-411 1300 Closed On: N/A Business Hours: 5pm till late in the night Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/07/penang-chu-char-at-anson-park-seafood/ [...]