Located in the bustling Cintra Street in Penang, Sun Yoon Kee Seafood Restaurant is a chu char restaurant offering great home cooked Chinese dishes.

img_4401.jpg

Sun Yoon Kee Restaurant and its neighboring Sin Sun Vood kopitiam

Besides its own available dining area, diners are allowed to sit in the neighboring Sin Sun Vood kopitiam. We did just that as we  find Sun Sun Vood kopitiam more charming, with its flooring fully tiled with little mosaic pieces and decorated with old fixtures and fittings.

img_4419.jpg

We visited this restaurant twice and these are some of the dishes that we had on the two outings. A recommended dish is the Woo Tau Kau Yoke, which has meat and yam braised with a hint of fermented nam yue. The dish served on a bed of lettuce is absolutely delightful.

img_4823.jpg

The second dish is the deep-fried fish. There is a choice of having a whole fish or just the fish belly (yue larm). We choose the belly portion which is deep fried with strips of ginger and chili. The fish is very crunchy, served drizzled with soy sauce.

img_4446.jpg

The Kailan dish is prepared with seafood.

img_4430.jpg

The owner recommends the Golden Money Tofu with Egg. The fried pieces of tofu are cooked with slices of pork, carrot and mushroom in a starchy egg gravy. Its taste and its outlook  resembles the Wat Tan Hor Fun (flat rice noodle) that are sold in hawker stalls.

img_4437.jpg

Yue Larm is one popular dish served in this restaurant. We had the  Braised Fish Belly, also known as Hoong Siew Yue Larm. The deep fried pieces of fish belly are braised with lots of vegetable in soy sauce.

img_4838.jpg

The simple vegetable dish of Fried Poh Choy (spinach) with minced garlic is done with good wok hei.

img_4842.jpg

When it is time to pay the bill, do have a look at the old cash register. It is kept very clean and in good working condition.

IMG_4406 IMG_4408

Click here for the Map Location. The restaurant is located behind the Rolex shop.

Sun Yoon Kee Seafood Restaurant
35 Cintra Street
10100 Penang

Tel : 04 2613987

Business Hour : 11am – 9.30pm

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, July 27th, 2009 at 4:48 pm and is filed under Chu Char, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Phwit! That Woo Tao Kao Yuk is calling my name! Darn long no see this kind of meat oledi ……

July 27th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Another nice place for chu char. Will try it out. Thanks for sharing!

July 27th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

So nice to see the street.. I guess I’ve got addicted with the mini series of little nyonya about the peranakan, hehehe…

July 27th, 2009 at 7:03 pm

This is magnificent!! We have been searching for a place that whipped up wu tau kau yuk for the longest time in Penang… you have no idea what a revelation this is to my family! Thank you!!

July 27th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

classic! one word came to mind only.
thanks for all these almost lost with time eateries.

July 27th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I went for the Zhu Chang Fen nearby, not aware there got nice Zhu Cha. Good sharing :)

July 27th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

The Woo Tau Kau Yoke is so alluring!

July 27th, 2009 at 9:44 pm

email2me – That’s how I feel when I was told they have this dish. It’s the first dish that I ordered.

FoOd PaRaDiSe – Hope you find it suitable.

Selba – There are plenty more to see around town…will share them with you.

550ml jar of faith – Hope your family like this version.

July 28th, 2009 at 12:08 am

J2Kfm – There are not many are left around town.

WikiStreetFood – Expect simple dishes.

allie – Haha…that’s the much talk about dish. Do try it.

July 28th, 2009 at 12:24 am

omg ck!!!
this shop is one of my fav in penang!!!
my family has been patronising since i was small…
they served great authentic cantonese chu char…
perhaps next time you could try out their signature tofu dish which is the seafood tofu, its ‘pai kuat wong’ (pork…) and ‘ham yu fa lam pou’ (salted fish with pork belly)..
thanks for recommending this shop :)

July 28th, 2009 at 4:22 am

down there a lot of such Canto classic chu char. whether the food nice or not is another question mark. but looking at this, am sure is thumbs up, right?

July 28th, 2009 at 7:56 am

hi CK Lam, how much was the meal? this shop reminds me of one that is near Kimberley street, I think, where they r famous for their steamboat as well as chu chow…my penang fren took me there once, i wonder it is the same shop or not.. hahha.. next time i must remember the name, i like their yam puff, after the meal, we ordered some to “cuci mulut.” hahaha…

July 28th, 2009 at 8:20 am

You’ve introduced lots of “hidden” classic coffee shops that never come across my mind. I spend very little time patronizing the town area.

July 28th, 2009 at 8:26 am

OMG! this is awesome……. lovely pork belly slot against thoe delicious yam with manirate sauce and then steamed is just perfect, an everyday dish! I just lovely the fu yee marinate sauce! yes just classic.
The deco is such a classic…. hahaha just look at the cash machine, just classy by itself, the boss of the shop! lol!

July 28th, 2009 at 8:36 am
Chris

This shop was business for long long time ago, last time was just opposite the road. Always go there when small, the Goldern Money Tofu is nice!

July 28th, 2009 at 8:49 am

i’ve not been do this place … must ask dad to take me there!!! he loves food like this

July 28th, 2009 at 9:27 am

sometimes the flavor of the fish are masked in the hoong siew yue larm.

July 28th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Hi CK,

Do also try out the porridge at Sin Sun Vood kopitiam. The stall only opens after 8.00pm at night… the boiled chicken is simply irresistible!

July 28th, 2009 at 10:58 am

visited this chu char place some time back. food’s good :) and i love the classic cash register.

July 28th, 2009 at 11:57 am

Tau Sar Phneah – So nice to get recommended dishes from you. You will be seeing more of me eating at this chu char place.

New Kid On The Blog – You are right, each of us have our own liking…do visit this place when you feel like having some chu char dishes.

claire – Both are totally different. Your fren took you to Goh Huat Seng which serves dishes and steamboat.
This place only do chu char. Both places very near by.

Little Inbox – Often we passed by these old shops without noticing them too.

Big Boys Oven – Must order that pork belly dish if you like the taste and the yam.

Chris – That’s nice to know…do share your favorite dish from this place with me too.

July 28th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Duckie – Do share your review…

foodbin- That’s a yummy dish for me.

Cats – I saw the lady preparing and setting up her porridge stall while waiting for my food. It smells gooooood!

lingzie – This is one classic cash register that I have seen which is so well maintained.

July 28th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

The cash register is so antique! And I miss eating kau yoke. :)

July 28th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

The hong siew yue larm looks so delicious! I will definitely order this dish if I happen to visit this place in future. ;)

July 28th, 2009 at 11:33 pm

YU LARM looks really good…..seldom see this kind f cooking nowadays…..

July 29th, 2009 at 10:48 am
modo alimentare

Thanks for sharing!
the feelings of traditional style…

July 29th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Hoong Siew Yue Larm looks so good compare to the 1 i had tried. like the kopitiam..so old school~

eh, i thought there at nite got one stall selling fish porridge 1?isit?

July 29th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

The ‘kau yoke’ looks so tempting….and the antique cash register adds to its old charm.

July 29th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

This was one of the shops I have been patronizing … hmmm… 10 over years ago. Those dishes you ordered are my favorite as well. Do you know that you can order noodles too? Do try out their Ginger Spring Onion Fried Beef Hor Fun. Thumbs up!

BTW, one of the former chefs there had opened up another “chu char” in Song River, Gurney Drive. There are more choices there but with a milder flavoring. Great place for healthy freaks.. hehe :P

July 29th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

went there for lunch before….yummy yummy

July 30th, 2009 at 8:49 am
Chris

Ya…the porridge next stall is nice, exspecially the chicken is so delicious. Don’t go too early, although the things is ready, but autie only start business after 8pm. The “yee shang” chisken porridge must try! Or else you will regret! Hehehe…..

July 30th, 2009 at 11:36 am
Bris77

CK, I have been hunting for kau-yoke high and low, not many chuchar places havne this classic. Thanks fr yr info and I will visit this shop soon. The only chu-char I frequent fr kau-yoke is opposite Snake Temple fr lunch. You could try it out if you are there.

August 16th, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Everyone – For those who have eaten at this place, thanks for sharing yr views and new outlets with me. For those who have yet to try, do drop in this chu char stall to check out the food.

August 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

CK, you miss out another good dish – pai kuat wong :-) So far, for me, this dish is the best among others. :-)

October 9th, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Hong CN – Nice of you dropping by and sharing the meaty dish with me. Definitely trying it…thanks!

October 10th, 2009 at 12:03 am

1. Penang Food - Kimberley Street Chicken & Fish Porridge | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Sep 17 2009 / 4pm:

[...] Customers will pack into this popular stall in the night starting from 8pm. I remember watching her setting up her stall early in the evening when I was having my chu char dinner from the neighboring restaurant, Sun Yoon Kee Restaurant. [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 09 2010 / 11am:

[...] 2613987 Closed On: N/A Business Hours: 11am – 9.30pm Halal Status: Non Halal Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/07/penang-chu-char-at-cintra-street-sun-yoon-kee-seafood-restaura… [...]

3. Best of Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 29 2010 / 10pm:

[...] makes this a very delicious dish. The stall is located opposite the Sin Sun Vood Coffeeshop and Sun Yoon Kee Seafood Restaurant. Click here for the Map [...]