Chicken rice can be found in most hawker stalls and food courts in Penang as the chicken rice is a popular and favorite food for many of us. There is one exceptional stall that sells Hainan Chicken Rice – Thai style located in a corner coffee shop along Penang Road. It is directly opposite KOMTAR Tower and a few shops away from Kek Seng which is famous for its durian ice cream and ice kacang.

img_2374_resize.jpg

This stall is quite similar to other stalls, selling white and roast chicken. My plate with a mixture of both was served with sliced cucumber and garnished with chopped spring onions with a drizzle of black soy sauce mixture and oil. It is accompanied by a free bowl of chicken soup.

img_2382_resize.jpg

I prefer to have the chicken meat served separately from the rice

The difference of this chicken rice lies in its special flavored rice, just plain delicious. Herbs and spices are thrown into the rice adding flavor to it. It tasted good even eaten on its own.

Another item worth mentioning is their exceptional condiment, chili sauce. Customers that have eaten their chili sauce will rave about it as it is totally different compared to the usual chili sauce. The more spicy sauce is slightly brownish green and is made up of a good amount of coarsely chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies, vinegar and some taucheong. It is very appetizing with the chicken rice. Wonder if this chili sauce is truly a Thai version for chicken rice or was it the owner’s recipe?

IMG_2390_resize IMG_2387_resize

IMG_2400 IMG_2394

The side dish we had was Lap Cheong (Chinese sausage). Not many chicken rice stalls serve this fragrant sausage as a side dish. It has a hard texture with a hint of Chinese wine and makes an excellent addition to the chicken rice.

img_2388_resize.jpg

Do head over to this place if you feel like having chicken rice with flavorful rice, special chili sauce and Chinese sausage. Overall, between the two types of chicken meat, the white one was more tender while the roast meat was a bit drier and tougher for me. Still this is a good alternative if you want to have a different version of chicken rice. Click here for the Map Location. The frontage of the shop is facing KOMTAR Tower with its side on Lorong Bertam which leads out to Macalister Lane.

Lam Hong
Thai Chicken Rice
Penang Road

Closed on Sunday

Business Hour : Lunch till early evening

GPS Coordinates : N05 2455.1   E100 1945.2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, July 24th, 2009 at 10:33 pm and is filed under Chicken Rice, George Town, Hawker, Penang, Thai Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The steamed chicken really looks nice :) Yummy

July 24th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Hi CKLam ,
It’s Elin here, I have passed the Best Blog Award to you. Please check it out from my blog. Thanks.
You deserved the award :)

July 24th, 2009 at 11:58 pm

wow this place has all the right combination for a perfect chicken rice! :)

July 25th, 2009 at 12:13 am

I used to patronize this stall when I was working part-time in Yaohan Best years ago. I went there only because it was cheap back then.

The sauce he uses has a very heavy taste and sweet.

July 25th, 2009 at 12:24 am

WikiStreetFood – Best taken with their chili sauce.

Elin – Thank you very much. It’s very thoughtful of you :)

Big Boys Oven – Indeed it is…can finish two plate of the flavorful rice.

Jason Wong – I noticed many customers like to have the black soy sauce all over the rice, some even ask for extra. It does add flavor to it.

July 25th, 2009 at 12:32 am
Choi

Me here salivating 8000 miles away, looking at the succulent dish Easily beats London Chinatown chicken rice.
Thank you CK for the post.

July 25th, 2009 at 4:00 am

morning CK! early morn and salivating over the Hainan Chicken Rice! yup, we passed by this stall, and I asked about it right? :)

still prefer the Siu Cheong to Lap Cheong. but sadly, less and less stalls are serving Siu Cheong nowadays.

July 25th, 2009 at 8:49 am

i love this place!!! but i find the rice a little too oily at times.

July 25th, 2009 at 10:44 am

My hubby mentioned this place to me before and he told me the chicken rice is nice. But have not patronise yet. lol

July 25th, 2009 at 11:08 am
Joanne

The stall owner is my friend’s father, me and my other friends used to be there for chicken rice with extra bowl of black soy sauce every saturday before we go for tuition at somewhere nearby there. I miss the taste of their chicken rice a lot, must find one day go with my family again. The coffee shop owner still that tall guy with specs?

July 25th, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Love Hainan chicken rice.. Love thai…. must be so yummy!

July 25th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

cant wait for my penang food trip

July 25th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Choi – You are most welcome.

J2Kfm – Yup…this is the one we were talking about. It’s rare to see lap cheong and this sausages need more chewing compared to the siew cheong.

Duckie – I find that most chicken rice are quite oily including this one too.

FoOd PaRaDiSe – This will be an additional place to try out.

Joanne – The world is very small indeed. Well do tell the owner that he can see himself and his chicken rice on the internet…haha. The coffee shop owner is still the tall guy.

Selba – It has its own special taste.

kampungboycitygal – When are both of you coming? Let me know when you do…really like to meet up and go for makan makan together.

July 25th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I love their chili and the sausage. The chicken sometime too salty. hehehe …. salty coz I laden the sauce over my rice. That is what make it so tasty!

July 25th, 2009 at 8:56 pm

know what… all these years in Penang, I have not try this Chicken Rice before. :P

July 25th, 2009 at 9:11 pm

The chili looks good leh! Perfect to go with the chicken!

July 25th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

email2me – Haha…most customers like the black sauce besides the chili.

New Kid On The Blog – It is just chicken rice but is a good alternative if you are looking for something different.

allie – The chili sauce is slightly spicier with a totally different taste…yummy with the rice.

July 26th, 2009 at 11:12 am

erm…the chili sauce looks so special huh. So the chili sauce is sour and spicy ? sure goes well with the rice.

July 26th, 2009 at 1:18 pm
ZeekNotGeek

hi CK. its been so long since i last visited your blog. thanks for featuring this chicken rice. i used t oeat at this place nearly everyday each time before i go tuition last time. Thanks for bringin back good memories. Ill pay a visit soon!

July 26th, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Chicken rice with chinese sausage as side dish is quite unique. Usually i prefer roasted chicken but for hainanese style i will choose the white chicken.

July 26th, 2009 at 8:45 pm

It stands out from the crowd with it’s dark black sauce for the chicken and the special dip sauce.

July 26th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

oh…i know this shop…visit before when study in penang…the rice and chili sauce is different with other…is taste good…why can’t get this kind of nice food in KL???

July 26th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

I have not been to this coffee shop before. Every time just back to Kek Seng.

July 26th, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Satisfyingtummy – Nice chili sauce & flavorful rice is good to go with the chicken.

ZeekNotGeek – Glad this post brings back some memories of your younger days. It’s great seeing you in my blog again…thanks for the visit.

Mindy – White chicken tends to be smoother :)

foodbin – Do give it a try when you are in town.

squall – I think this stall is the only one making this type of chili in town. I am not too sure about finding such food in KL.

Little Inbox – Now you can try out the chicken rice from this shop.

July 26th, 2009 at 10:34 pm

~drools at the lap cheong~
i have had this chicken rice quite some time ago when my colleagues tapao.
must go try it again with the lap cheong! :)

July 27th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

wow, nice blog!! and ya, nice photos too… and i know this ‘look’ ain’t deceiving… i guess, most penangites would agree… ;) besides, i notice, or rather i suspect, the author’s not using her own photo… because if she is, she must look like… umm… 30 kg on top of what the photo looks like?!! :p just joking… anyway, thanks for sharing… cheers!!

July 27th, 2009 at 1:52 pm

btw, this particular shop also serves perfect-with-the-chicken homemade green chilly-sauce!! umm, was that chilly-sause serving a mix of the green and the red??

July 27th, 2009 at 2:02 pm
Jon

Looks great CK. wish I were in enang to give it a try……..

Jon

July 27th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

lingzie – It’s something different with the lap cheong.

dknypg83 – It’s great to have you dropping by my food blog. That photo is indeed mine and honestly I did put on some weight after all the eating…haha.
Do try out the chicken rice… not too sure if it is a mixture of chili sauce but its really good.

Jon – I am sure there will always be a day.

July 27th, 2009 at 6:35 pm

around 10 years never go there, is about childhood memory :P

July 30th, 2009 at 8:50 am

Each time I’m around KOMTAR, that’s the place I go for Chicken Rice. I haven’t been to Kek Seng before even though so many entries about this place. For me, this uncle serves Chicken Rice differs from the usual Hainanese Chicken Rice. He’s also friendly and always at ease with his customers. When I was pregnant with my son, I went to him to buy some chicken bones. He asked me what I want to cook with the left overs. When I told him for Kiam Chai Boey, he gave me not only ALL the bones on his tray but some chicken wings with no charge at all :-D You see, few days before, I went to the Chicken rice stall at Menara Asas for the sets and also to buy the left overs for the KCB, one of the staff/partner (taller guy) didn’t want to sell me not even for few ringgits. He claimed it’s reserved for their soup. The other food stall sellers said why can’t he sell some to a pregnant woman who could be craving for soup. He stood on his decision! After the scenario, I went back again to the same stall some months later but this time a shorter guy served me with no problem selling the left overs… 1 plastic bag full for 1 MYR :-D

Now, when I’m not in town, I prefer chicken rice from a seller from a kopitiam behind Maybank Tanjung Bungah (the block with shoplots next to Azuria Apts). They operated only from 11 am as they come all the way from Air Itam. The husband-wife team are generous as well…

August 13th, 2009 at 8:02 am

thamchiak – This place does bring back childhood memories to many and I am glad to see you having those thoughts too.

pixen – Nice to see you dropping by again to shared your story with me. I will sure to try out the chicken rice near the Azuria Apts.

August 16th, 2009 at 5:06 pm
nikonk

the Chicken Rice not really thai style, tried out those near border of Southern Thai, they are much less oily and taste very lean.

November 6th, 2009 at 2:12 am
Penang Boy

This place is too horrible.. The chicken and sausages are too burnt.. Im a rice person… And this rice is not even standard chicken rice… Its too bad until I have to comment on this.. ‘white and luscious’ chicken rice is 100 times better than this.. And its not cheap…

January 28th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Penang Boy – Each of us have our own taste, maybe this is just not your type of chicken rice. Anyway thanks for dropping by.

January 28th, 2010 at 3:44 pm
Sharon

I have eaten here some 25 years ago. My mother used to bring me and my sister there every Sunday after church at Heng Ee school. Yummy chicken rice indeed and the owner doesn’t seem to age !!!

September 10th, 2010 at 4:43 am
KS

Thanks CK for yet another precious find on Penang Rd. Talking of Chicken Rice, I wonder if you, or other food bloggers know where there is chicken rice with the Ginger+Oil+Scallion mixture? I really miss this, and recently had it in Spore, and that is only at a Shopping mall food court~! Am sure all over Spore, it would be like this. What abt in Penang, or elsewhere in Msia? Great job with this website.~!

December 22nd, 2010 at 7:34 pm
chamomile

Hi, where is it along penang road ? i’m visiting penang & it would great if you could give me some directions. thanks heaps :)

The frontage of the shop is facing the main entrance of KOMTAR Tower on Penang Road, with its side on Lorong Bertam which leads out to Macalister Lane.

April 29th, 2011 at 3:55 pm
wally

Sorry to disappoint those who have heaped praises on this stall. My personal experience has thought me never to go back!!!
1)I ordered my chicken w/out rice and the guy insisted on charging me for it. An argument ensured and I decided to pay him for it to solve the problem.
2)More worrying is the way they refill their chilli

February 23rd, 2014 at 4:15 pm

1. Penang Food – Hainan Chicken Rice Thai Style | What2See : Best of … | brownrice    Jul 25 2009 / 3am:

[...] Link: Penang Food – Hainan Chicken Rice Thai Style | What2See : Best of … [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Lam Hong Thai Chicken Rice Address: Lam Hong Thai Chicken Rice Penang Road Tel Number: N/A Closed On: Sunday Business Hours: Lunch till early evening Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/07/penang-food-hainan-chicken-rice-thai-style/ [...]