Updated on October 2010 : The restaurant has stopped operation.

Bee Won Korean Traditional Restaurant is located in Royal Hotel (formerly Sheraton Hotel) and they offer authentic and healthy Korean food with varieties of tasty mild foods and spicy dishes. It is a favorite place for many locals and also the Korean residents in Penang who keeps coming back for the excellent quality food.

IMG_1929

Korean Sashimi

I have never been to this restaurant until recently when the owner Miss Choi contacted me. It is a totally family run business with Miss Choi’s mother helping out in the kitchen together with two chefs from Korea. I paid a visit to this spacious modern restaurant on the third floor of the hotel with my family.

IMG_2306

IMG_2296

A restaurant with simple and warm decor

The meal started off with servings of appetizers which also included the Ho Bak Jjim (pumpkin steamed in basket) and Ho Bak Jook (sweet thick pumpkin soup).

IMG_1950

Colorful appetizer with five basic colors of Korean food – red, green, yellow, white and black

IMG_1955

Jellyfish was part of the appetizers as well, very refreshing and tantalizing

IMG_2032 IMG_2027

Steamed pumpkin and also the sweet thick pumpkin soup

There is a first time for everything and it’s the first for me enjoying Sashimi in a Korean Restaurant! The Sashimi is Bee Won’s signature dish as it is the only Korean restaurant that serves this dish. I was impressed with its presentation, thinly sliced fish laid on top of a huge piece of ice with mussels frozen intact!

IMG_2091

The owner emphasis on the freshness of the fish, having the fish scoop up directly from the tank of live fish, carved up and served immediately. This platter was specially prepared using the garoupa and snapper fish which was incredibly fresh and tasted absolutely heavenly with the sauces.

In the menu, a plate of Sashimi garoupa cost RM200 while the snapper goes for RM150. Either set comes with appetizers, various side dishes and soup.

IMG_2008

Korean Sashimi is typically eaten wrap in lettuce leaf with raw garlic, sliced green chili and chili sauce. Bee Won has their special homemade ‘Mother’s ‘sauce which gives it that special touch.

IMG_2155

Miss Choi on hand to prepare the wrap

IMG_1972

Special ‘Mother’s ‘sauce concocted by Miss Choi’s mother

As we enjoyed our dinner, Miss Choi was kind enough to share the norm technique to enjoy Sashimi with us. It is recommended to lay the ingredients on the outer side of the leaf with the soft inner side lying on your palm.

IMG_1933 IMG_2166

Click on the pages below for more dishes…

Pages: 1 2 3

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 at 7:21 pm and is filed under George Town, Hotels, International, Invited Review, Korean Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow, sumptuous meal ah!!!
this place used to be a chinese restaurant… :)

August 26th, 2009 at 8:12 am

do they have a branch elsewhere? KL?
cz the name kinda rang a bell.

August 26th, 2009 at 8:38 am

the steamed pumpkin looks like mango to me. lol. i think of mango too much. sashimi very nice la. just see and feel want to eat already.

August 26th, 2009 at 8:58 am
Anne

I’ve always wanted to try authentic Korean food. Unfortunately most of them are not halal. Is Bee Won halal? Looking forward to your reply.

August 26th, 2009 at 9:05 am

OMG! I am drooling with love over the Korean Sashimi, just looks amazingly fresh. Oh! Korean Gineng Soup, wow! this must be pre done in the kitchen with tender love as it may have taken more than 6hours to boil and prepared. Defintely a hit for me as I know it is a bowl of white liquid gold and I had tasted something similar at the food exhibition recently in KL here! You are damn lucky chic lol!

August 26th, 2009 at 9:13 am

New Kid On The Blog – Do visit this restaurant to try out the food. It offer many extraordinary dishes too.

J2Kfm – Not too sure about the connection.

allenooi – Yes…really nice idea to have it decorated like the mango.

Anne – This is a pork free restaurant…have just updated this info in the blog.

Big Boys Oven – You are right about the soup, does take long hours to boil it and the sashimi is so fresh, directly out of the tank. A nice place to entertain friends…

August 26th, 2009 at 9:57 am

What a FEAST!! Korean has never looked this indulgent, I must say! The pumpkin starter looks so delightful!

August 26th, 2009 at 9:57 am

I went to this place before, one of the best Korean restaurants in Penang, I must say. :)

August 26th, 2009 at 10:21 am

slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. the sashimi is smiling at me! gosh!!! i <3 korean food tooooo!!!!

August 26th, 2009 at 10:24 am

All the foods look great and there are so many varieties.

August 26th, 2009 at 10:49 am
santy lim

wow… they serve sashimi…
perfect…..
normally korean sashimi is urok…
i duno wats its cal in english..
but thats the specialist of korean..
not like japanese…
indonesian urok means kerapu…
they even served pumpkin porriage…
so koreann..
thank you 4 d info..
i surely will visit…
somehow i think its a bit pensy…
normally it only cost about RM 60 / KG FISH.
and after they served the sashimi . they will use the fish head and born to cook spicy soup cal meyong tang…either they cook it in front of us or they cook it in kitchen than served out..
the soup is so sweet and spicy.. delicious…

August 26th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

would certainly like to try the steamed pumpkin and garoupa sashimi.

August 26th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

oh sadly .. korean food is not for me …

August 26th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Hmmm first time see Korean Sashimi. Must give it a shot there soon. :D

August 26th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

The fresh sashimi and ginseng soup looks like a winner. Nice pics too..

August 26th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Ooh, I wonder if they have big fish tanks like in Chinese family restaurants? Hmm, on second thoughts, probably not… would spoil the regal atmosphere, no? :)

August 26th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

didn’t know they is korean sashimi

August 26th, 2009 at 3:22 pm
Miss. Choi

Hey Mrs. Lam

This is Miss. Choi. I feel thankful and appreciate that you can come to my restaurant, enjoy the food, and have fun here. I really like your website. So, I would like to invite you to enjoy korean culture next time. ^^

August 26th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

korean sashimi??? seems special eaten with lecttuce and garlic. it must be good!

August 26th, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I didn’t know about this restaurant at all until I read this post. :)

August 26th, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Wow…yummie! Must go there to try soon!

August 26th, 2009 at 9:25 pm

550ml jar of faith – The starter in the shape of the mango is an eye catcher.

iamthewitch – Indeed it is one of the best Korean restaurant in town. Nice to know you like the food too.

xin – Sashimi is their specialty…and they are the only one doing it till now.

Food Paradise – A nice place to visit with your family.

santy lim – They are known to serve authentic food and pumpkin porridge is one of it. They also have the fish soup too but the owner wanted to share with me the special ginseng soup.

foodbin – Do visit this restaurant when you are in town. The sashimi comes with plenty of side dishes.

Duckie – All of us have our own liking…maybe you will like this type of food in the future.

August 26th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

email2me – It’s a good idea…the Korean experience is different.

Sweet Jasmine – A nice place for the family and entertaining friends.

Life for Beginners – The fish tanks are not as big comparable to those in the Chinese restaurants but big enough for them to swim around.

vivien – Me too…this is also the first time for me trying it out…just love it.

Miss. Choi – You are most welcome and thank you again for inviting.

ai wei – It is good, eaten with the special sauce and ingredients.

cariso – Glad to share it with all of you. Do make a visit to this restaurant to try out the food.

Adelyn – Together with your friends, go and enjoy the food and also entertain in their karaoke room.

August 26th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Hi CK Lam, I guess I’m one of those on this planet that not adventurous with food.
I eat to live anyway, unlike most who live to eat.

Aha, but I sure love Penang food…as well love Penang, my Island of memories.
And where I lost my bachelor’s degree!

Funny nobody ever warned me about women who can cook…..ha ha.
Love the E&O and Gurney drive for their oh chien, poh pia….and those young kids coming to the table broadcasting their stall’s dishes…
Your lovely dishes here sure will torment my nights, ha ha….

You must be a gourmet cook I guess, a real attractive one too, I must add.
You have a nice day and keep a song in your heart, best regards, Lee.

August 27th, 2009 at 6:21 am

what an adventurous dinner with so many new flavours and dishes!
i wasn’t aware that Bee Won was still operating after the hotel changed name from Sheraton. (thought that they had moved to Autocity!)
must go back and visit again as this used to be our favourite place for korean food.

August 27th, 2009 at 11:01 am

The steam pumpkin look like mango… o.O”

August 27th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I have never tried Korean food before. Maybe I need to find some kakis to join me now. ;)

August 28th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Didn’t know there’s a Korean Restaurant there, but the food looks great! I’ve visited Harry B1 at Auto City, and it seems to me over there it’s more to BBQ food.

August 28th, 2009 at 9:52 am

just loves the picture taken..look also hungry~

August 28th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Uncle Lee – Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Do drop in again as I will be posting many more delicious food.

lingzie – Do contact the owner, as I am sure she will be very happy to meet you.

mimid3vils – It is nicely shaped…very impressive.

food-4tots – Do visit this restaurant to try out the nice and tasty Korean food.

allie – Both restaurants have their own type of food and Bee Won has many types of dishes and also the BBQ.

taufulou – Do visit this place should you be in town.

August 29th, 2009 at 12:01 am
UNKNOWN

there is a branch of bee won in auto city…that is the real bee won..this outlet is sold to a korean guy…but the business is not that good and after suffering losses for 1 year plus..the korean guy sold off this bee won to ms.choi…

August 31st, 2009 at 10:45 pm
Claire

“Bee Won”- impressed me with the hospitality by Choi, very authentic & delicious Korean food that I’ve ever tried.
Choi also served us with her special “Mother’s sauce” salad & taught us the right way to enjoy Korean food.
Highly recommend to everyone!

August 31st, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Unknown – Thanks for sharing this info. The outlet in autocity is known as Harry’s B1.
Ms Choi is now striving to serve up authentic and healthy Korean cuisines under the name, Bee Won.

August 31st, 2009 at 11:05 pm
Miss. Choi

I am the new owner of Bee Won. There are changes here. It will be the new style of management, new things, etc. I welcome everyone to my restaurant.

September 1st, 2009 at 7:41 pm

its been a while since i last check on ur blog. been freaking busy. well, i’ve been to this restaurant a few times and actually wanted to recommend you. this place is really good and serves the best korean food on the island i must say. the ginseng chicken soup and the koreanpancake here is the best! though the price is a bit steep, but i dont mind paying for good quality food!
glad you enjoyed it!

September 5th, 2009 at 9:57 pm

ZeekNotGeek – I did had a great time enjoying eating and learning about the different type of ingredients and I am glad you enjoyed your visit there too.

September 8th, 2009 at 10:59 am
PIGGY BANK

IS BEE WON HALAL??? Bcos I hardly can find korean restaurant which is halal.. my malay fren unable to try it >.<

October 14th, 2009 at 4:23 pm

PIGGY BANK – Bee Won is a halal restaurant as it is located inside a hotel.

October 14th, 2009 at 5:27 pm
PIGGY BANK

Hi CK Lam,

good… gonna promo it to all my muslim chingoo… they will love it…

Kamsa Hamnida

October 15th, 2009 at 12:21 am
Bee Won

Hi~

This is Mrs Kim Young Hee the new management of Bee Won.

Now we are opened as Non-halal restaurant.
The change caused great inconvenience.
Therefore, we appreicate your attention and apologize for it.

December 30th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. » Penang Korean Restaurant List Penang Deli    Sep 21 2009 / 11am:

[...] Closed for lunch on Sunday Business Hours: 12pm – 2.30pm & 6pm – 10.30pm Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/08/bee-won-korean-traditional-restaurant-hotel-royal-penang/ Posted in Penang Korean Food. RSS. [...]